Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Hillary Clinton
Bernie Sanders
Martin O'Malley
Donald Trump
View Results

• Locked thread
Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The moderators were just bad but that's who they had to go with because they'd have taken too much poo poo if they used Stephanopolous, seeing as he sorta got his start working for the Clintons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Is there a reason they dont use like professional college debate moderators or something (i assume thats a thing) instead of news anchors or journalists?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^ARE there 'professional moderators'? Not being snarky I have no idea if that's a big enough 'business' to be useful to pool from if it exists at all.

Pretty much yea, he probably coulda done better but there's no way that wouldn't look shady as poo poo to have someone who basically owes his career to the Clintons now 'grilling' Hillary.

Pretty much either use the a-team and open yourself to people saying 'oh wow someone tied to clinton moderating, real fair' or use the b-team and, well, get a b-team performance.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Amused to Death posted:

You can't be of sound mind of you don't think Hillary owned that debate.

"everyone who liked the other guy more must be crazy"

Yes, that's a very convincing reason why Hillary won.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Not ONE question about climate change after the Paris climate agreement? Seriously?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Amused to Death posted:

You can't be of sound mind of you don't think Hillary owned that controlling share of Walmart in the 80s and used her position to crush unions.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Grouchio posted:

Wait so...he isn't doomed?

Bernie is angry

very very angry

and he will make the streets run red

with the blood of CEOs

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

theblackw0lf posted:

Not ONE question about climate change after the Paris climate agreement? Seriously?
the bernie campaign probably gave up on pushing for it, they want a fair allotment of time

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Jack Gladney posted:

a controlling share of Walmart for most of the 1980s.

No, Hillary Clinton did not own more than 50% of Wal-Mart for most of the 1980s.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.
lol if you think not tripping over herself horribly means Hillary owned the debate.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Hillary Clinton owning the debate in her traditional style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd5lz0kw5iQ

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I read last page that the moderators didn't interrupt Clinton. What planet are you guys on? They totally did, she just kept talking anyway. Nothing they can do except cut her mic.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

TNO posted:

lol if you think not tripping over herself horribly means Hillary owned the debate.

I mean it's better than the other dudes did.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

theblackw0lf posted:

No questions about campaign finance reform either.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

^^^ARE there 'professional moderators'? Not being snarky I have no idea if that's a big enough 'business' to be useful to pool from if it exists at all.

Pretty much yea, he probably coulda done better but there's no way that wouldn't look shady as poo poo to have someone who basically owes his career to the Clintons now 'grilling' Hillary.

Pretty much either use the a-team and open yourself to people saying 'oh wow someone tied to clinton moderating, real fair' or use the b-team and, well, get a b-team performance.

Professional moderators do exist, but usually as professional moderators for focus groups, not debates, since they have to actually make money. It's almost exclusively journos tossed into the role, chaos inevitably ensues since it's almost always their first and last time moderating a debate.

John Donvan (who works for ABC News actually) is practically a professional moderator, though, he's been moderating the quasi-monthly Intelligence Squared debates for years and if you listen to those debates you'll hear the benefits of having someone moderating who really knows what they're doing.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
All Hillary has to do is not fall on her face to own the debates guys, but if you don't think she's not really good at this you're deluding yourself. Bernie Sanders has improved noticeably from his first debate in a lot of respects but she is way more polished and able to communicate her ideas more effectively than Bernie Sanders is, even if I don't agree with her ideas as much as I agree with Bernie's.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

rscott posted:

All Hillary has to do is not fall on her face to own the debates guys, but if you don't think she's not really good at this you're deluding yourself. Bernie Sanders has improved noticeably from his first debate in a lot of respects but she is way more polished and able to communicate her ideas more effectively than Bernie Sanders is, even if I don't agree with her ideas as much as I agree with Bernie's.

Most of it is due to how Bernie didn't do things such as traditional debate prep.

You can tell he's new to the whole presidential race challenge

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I don't think anyone's (besides hardcore polisci nerds like us) really going to give a poo poo about this debate because there isn't as much inflammatory rhetoric as in the Republican debates (ie no chaos candidate soundbytes, etc).

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Rah! posted:

"everyone who liked the other guy more must be crazy"

Yes, that's a very convincing reason why Hillary won.

I like the other guy so much I've donated to his campaign 3 times since June but I'm still sane enough to realize Hillary owned(particularly against O'Malley, just like scorched earth against him when he kept trying to attack her)

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I don't think anyone's (besides hardcore polisci nerds like us) really going to give a poo poo about this debate because there isn't as much inflammatory rhetoric as in the Republican debates (ie no chaos candidate soundbytes, etc).
The closest thing they got was the Donald-ISIS propaganda line and Hillary saying we are, something like, in a good position to take out ISIS or something. Not much to chew on.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
How terrible were the ratings?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The ratings had to be terrible since the usual oldster debate audience was probably watching NCIS instead. I wish I'd been watching it too because between "everybody should love me" and "may the force be with you" I thought my face was gonna be stuck in a permanent cringe

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lord of Pie posted:

The ratings had to be terrible since the usual oldster debate audience was probably watching NCIS instead. I wish I'd been watching it too because between "everybody should love me" and "may the force be with you" I thought my face was gonna be stuck in a permanent cringe

I don't know about the latter, but the former was actually a pretty perfect answer IMO

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Lord of Pie posted:

More people would watch the debates if the race was competitive at all.

The 2007 Democratic debate which took place on a Saturday night right before Christmas was the most watched of 2007.

Both lines were objectively good debate lines. If you didn't think they were good for the debate then you probably already didn't like her.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I liked Hillary's sheepish "sorry" after taking too long in the bathroom again.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mike the TV posted:

Surprised she wasn't all "it takes longer for women AND I AM GOING TO BE THE FIRST WOMAN PRESIDENT - EVERY LADY HERE WHO PISSES SITTING DOWN LET ME HEAR YA!"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ace of Baes posted:

Trump is going to get the P or VP slot for the Republican Party because of his ability to "fire up the base" voters will turn out in droves against him because hes the equivalent to 08s Sarah Palin, Hillary will pick MOM or some no name as VP and win by a single digit margin, politics will continue as usual with a republican controlled congress and nothing meaningful getting done.

I don't think Trump would either accept, nor be selected for a VP spot. That said, my dream scenario is a trump/sanders/hillary/whoever Presidential race. :allears:

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Bernie cucked himself pretty hard when he quickly apologized to :shillary: when asked to.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Mike the TV posted:

There was probably a line to the women's restroom.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Nah, because then Hillary had to either accept the apology or look like a huge bitch on national TV. Plus if she decides to push the issue after accepting the apology it makes her look insincere. The apology was the right move and Hillary wasn't prepared for it.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Lord of Pie posted:

Nah, because then Hillary had to either accept the apology or look like a huge bitch on national TV. Plus if she decides to push the issue after accepting the apology it makes her look insincere. The apology was the right move and Hillary wasn't prepared for it.

Why wouldn't Hillary want to end this stupid datagate nonsense as quickly as possible as well? She was doing perfectly fine before this whole debacle. Her campaign additionally indicated before the debate that data access should be restored as soon as possible.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Lord of Pie posted:

Both Sanders and Clinton seemed to stumble a bit in their answers to those questions, but I'm pretty sure they were "I have no loving clue what I'm talking about I guess datas are important for campaigns and they're in the computers?" stumbles, not "oh wow this foreseeable question was responded to with a full apology I've been caught totally off guard".

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Immortan posted:

Bernie cucked himself pretty hard when he quickly apologized to :shillary: when asked to.

Doing the right thing and having class is viewed as getting cucked in 2015

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Lord of Pie posted:

That's an awfully biased view of what happened and you are kidding yourself if you think she wasn't prepared for it and was looking to appear magnanimous.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Gotta say I enjoyed the classy and mature tone of mutual respect and dignity of this debate. Seeing the candidates take this seriously and not being so pompous and presumptuous

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Neither Bernie nor Hillary have any idea what the breach was. They only care inasmuch as it is a distraction for their campaigns. Though I'm sure hillary tore up a room when she was informed it could potentially cost her polling points.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ace of Baes posted:

Is there a reason they dont use like professional college debate moderators or something (i assume thats a thing) instead of news anchors or journalists?

Because this is corporate america.

Debates exist only to make money, and to promote a brand. Thats why they mention what shows the moderators all host. We are supposed to be impressed by them and interested in watching their shows!

Who the gently caress cares if they are any good at running a debate?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Doing the right thing and having class is viewed as getting cucked in 2015

Bernie will inevitably lose because he willingly cowers from Hillary, shithead.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Immortan posted:

Bernie will inevitably lose because he willingly cowers from Hillary, shithead.

Manning up to take responsibility and accepting humility isn't cowardice unless your coordintaes for reality come from reality television and axe commercials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Manning up to take responsibility and accepting humility isn't cowardice unless your coordintaes for reality come from reality television and axe commercials

Embrace the inevitable Bernout, child.

• Locked thread