Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
also thanks for reminding me to never go to YLLS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
I'm all good with using an arch to lower ROM but dislocating your spine and calling it a bench press is stupid

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

Wtf + lmao

I guess that's what happens when you lift for the letter of the law instead of for bodybuilding.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

notZaar posted:

I guess that's what happens when you lift for the letter of the law instead of for bodybuilding.

Eh, we had this conversation way back in the thread. Nope. It's very :wtc:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
How to outright cancel leg drive powering her bench press gains, snapcity

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
squatted 245 for a 5x5 last friday, came home feeling great

lost while arm wrestling my drunken roommate on sunday

:smithicide:

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Should have foot wrestled him you dope

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Paper Diamonds posted:

use your arms to lift things up and down

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Paper Diamonds posted:

What's her name?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 24, 2016

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

JFairfax posted:

What's her name?

Paul
:geno:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

In the meantime, I'm going to take a break from squats and deads, I think I mentioned that earlier. My back and knee felt pretty decent today though, so hopefully that's a sign its nothing too serious. I'm going to focus mostly upper body and channel my bicep curl bro in the meantime. However, is there anything I can do for my legs that aren't as taxing as a squat or deadlift I can do to just sort of keep what strength/muscle I do have in my lower body up? Maybe light leg press? The little I messed with that it seemed to not bother my knee at all. Hack Squats? Perhaps some goblet squats with say 20-40 lb dumbells?

Got a chin/dip belt? Do belt squats, no pressure on the lower back at all.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think the back deal was maybe just a muscle strain. It already feels tons better. Guess I just need to stop working out after grueling rear end shifts.

e: and I don't have a dip belt but we do have back braces at work....which I should probably at least start wearing while I'm at work and throwing around heavy poo poo all night. Am I crazy for remember research showing they don't help, or am I just confusing that with lifting belts not making lifts safer?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I'm pretty sure back braces work. But I'm not at a computer, so someone might want to fact check me.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
about to head to the gym after being ill for just over a week

feel weak as poo poo and have probably lost all of my gains

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

well guys, the doctor deal is gonna have to be put on hold for a while as I have a tooth emergency. back when I was a dopey man i didn't take care of my teeth and the back ones, the wisdom teeth are all hosed up and I broke one off at the gum, so I'm going to have to put what meager savings I have to take care of that, although I do have decent Dental, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

In the meantime, I'm going to take a break from squats and deads, I think I mentioned that earlier. My back and knee felt pretty decent today though, so hopefully that's a sign its nothing too serious. I'm going to focus mostly upper body and channel my bicep curl bro in the meantime. However, is there anything I can do for my legs that aren't as taxing as a squat or deadlift I can do to just sort of keep what strength/muscle I do have in my lower body up? Maybe light leg press? The little I messed with that it seemed to not bother my knee at all. Hack Squats? Perhaps some goblet squats with say 20-40 lb dumbells?

personally i'd completely skip any and all leg exercises until your injury situation is sorted out. just because you feel better today doesn't mean your knees are suddenly fine.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Unfortunately, this.

exethan posted:

personally i'd completely skip any and all leg exercises until your injury situation is sorted out. just because you feel better today doesn't mean your knees are suddenly fine.

You can probably still do some less intense things with minimal impact without killing yourself, but speaking from experience with my insane father (who at the height of his back pain kept working on his loving corvette no matter what, along with going to karate and going hard whenever he "felt fine") - doing this can really only make the problem either worse, or intensify the pain and lengthen your discomfort.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkTV5uL8IIA

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I bought a cage a while back when I moved into this house with friends. One of said friends spends a few hours a week in the garage using it and last night busted out a 220lb 1rm bench. I am proud. He went for another but I had to catch it. Still though, respect.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
On the fourth day, the swole gods rested, for they knew of recovery days.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Skipping squat and deadlift day geting chest amd shoulder swole is way cooler.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was tired as heck this morning and thought about staying home and eating cake but pushed through shoulders anyway, then ran 9 miles to punish my insolence.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

What is 'running' ?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

exquisite tea posted:

I was tired as heck this morning and thought about staying home and eating cake but pushed through shoulders anyway, then ran 9 miles to punish my insolence.

drat dawg. What was your minutes per mile, if you don't mind sharing?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i am sore all over today

:feelsgood:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wamdoodle posted:

drat dawg. What was your minutes per mile, if you don't mind sharing?

I'm all kinds of dinged up + slow af so only 9min/mi.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I'm all kinds of dinged up + slow af so only 9min/mi.

You won't be breaking any records but that's a good pace. I think it's good :)

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
i built a platform in my backyard

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
9 min/ mi is a decent pace.

So, I'm going to turkey for 1.5 months.

I'm about to buy a tub of ON protein from costco and pack it in my checked bag.

How arrested will I be? I've taken it on domestic flights before, but never international.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

9 min/ mi is a decent pace.

So, I'm going to turkey for 1.5 months.

I'm about to buy a tub of ON protein from costco and pack it in my checked bag.

How arrested will I be? I've taken it on domestic flights before, but never international.

If there are any questions, just snort like a solid foot of it to show it's ok. don't actually do this

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My ribs haven't spasmed once today so maybe I won't be crippled for 4-6 weeks after all.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
tell them you need the protein to live

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
So they didn't have my normal tub of silver, all they had wad a big fuckoff bag of ON Gold.

While it's really a much better deal for the price, God dammit now I have an even bigger bag of powder in my duffel.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Just saw a freshly dead bicyclist on the side of the popular mountain road by my parents' place, didn't see a helmet.

Ride safe, biking swolebros.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I only bike on the exercise bikes, but I still wear a helmet. That's unrelated though

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Just saw a freshly dead bicyclist on the side of the popular mountain road by my parents' place, didn't see a helmet.

Cardio kills gains, how many more will perish?

Did you loot his corpse?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

guys guys GUYS I fixed my janky squat and I dont turn them all into good mornings or w/e

feels gud

also deathlifted my 5RM for 7 with some reps left in the tank

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

My gym has hex plates so deadlifts suck

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

UnfurledSails posted:

My gym has hex plates so deadlifts suck

my gym is smaller and shittier and has a mix of all sorts of poo poo, and i quickly learned to always put a round plate on when I do deadlift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I have given up the quest for swoles, I'm now doing workouts for hockey.

Goodbye gains, hello endurance and agility

• Locked thread