Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BarbarianElephant posted:

I don't believe black people are very happy about being completely taken for granted by Democrats, because what are they going to do, vote for the party with Jeff Sessions in?

Helping the white rural poor necessarily means downplaying urban black problems, because one of the things that makes white rural poor people unhappiest is knowing that black people will also get any help that they vote for themselves.

A lot of white people are convinced that black people get a completely different set of assistance than white people. I've met a couple dozen white people who swore to my face that "Obamacare" was special secret free healthcare for black people. Tons of white people really do not comprehend that the food stamps they get are the dreaded "welfare" they're so mad about black people receiving.

Maybe because there's something in the ural mindset that makes you confront new information and go "well that's wrong, any opinion I don't have or fact I don't know is obviously made up," right Glowing-Fish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

A lot of white people are convinced that black people get a completely different set of assistance than white people. I've met a couple dozen white people who swore to my face that "Obamacare" was special secret free healthcare for black people. Tons of white people really do not comprehend that the food stamps they get are the dreaded "welfare" they're so mad about black people receiving.

When white people benefit from social welfare programs, it's justified because they "paid into it", while if minorities take advantage, they are leeches.

It's real hard to look in the mirror when you suddenly become the thing you railed against.

Maybe because there's something in the ural mindset that makes you confront new information and go "well that's wrong, any opinion I don't have or fact I don't know is obviously made up," right Glowing-Fish?

There's a correlation between graduation rates and education quality and religion in the Southeast. Also some of the textbook literature that is taught is altered to cast things such as the Civil War in a more "positive" light. I'm only speaking for the Southern US, but questioning things like faith and authority figures (such as teachers) is frowned upon.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Back when I worked in industry, I had an argument with a coworker about exactly this. His image of "food stamps" was basically Reagan's "strapping young bucks buying t-bone steaks" schtick verbatim, I explained that I'd been on food stamps and it actually sucks, and he told me that it's because I'm white and don't get access to the Secret Black People Welfare.

It was quite an eye-opener for me on how these people think. It's why you get all those articles where white people are shocked that the guy they voted for is going to gently caress them over just like he said he would. It's not so much a case where they'll accept cuts to their programs if it hurts black people too, it's that they think the people calling for those cuts are signalling that they're going to fight this imaginary black-people-only program.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
A lot of poor Republican voters are voting in respect to things that don't actually happen. Some of them are mad at Obamacare because they believe that Republicans stand for UHC and Democrats are stopping them, *sigh.*

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A lot of poor Republican voters are voting in respect to things that don't actually happen. Some of them are mad at Obamacare because they believe that Republicans stand for UHC and Democrats are stopping them, *sigh.*

life outside cities proper is like some hosed up allegory of the cave where all they know of civilization is what they get from Fox News, who tells them downtown Chicago is, like, Fallujah and Detroit might as well be Aleppo or Kobane.

Which is fine because it scares them and keeps them out most of the time but good good when they show up it's like trying to deal with a feral cat stuck in your garbage can. Everything spooks them, they think they're getting the short end no matter what, and they drive like someone's chasing them.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FAUXTON posted:

life outside cities proper is like some hosed up allegory of the cave where all they know of civilization is what they get from Fox News, who tells them downtown Chicago is, like, Fallujah and Detroit might as well be Aleppo or Kobane.

Which is fine because it scares them and keeps them out most of the time but good good when they show up it's like trying to deal with a feral cat stuck in your garbage can. Everything spooks them, they think they're getting the short end no matter what, and they drive like someone's chasing them.

Like this thread isn't at least a third people that have opinions about what rural life is pieced together from random movies and simpsons characters.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's the definition of rural? A town with 200 people or the culture in the town?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like this thread isn't at least a third people that have opinions about what rural life is pieced together from random movies and simpsons characters.

The miracle of the internet is that you can actually talk to rural people and Republican voters despite being a snooty urban elite.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Vargatron posted:

What's the definition of rural? A town with 200 people or the culture in the town?

Local dick-swingers will insist that 200 people is far too many to be proper rural. If you've had enough human interaction to acquire speech you're a liberal elite.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Top of a mountain in New England, a day's walk from neighbors: Snooty urban elite.
Suburban Dallas: Rural.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Do I count as rural then if my parents live in a trailer and my grandparents live on a mill hill? (I'm dead serious actually)

Oh wait, I have the mental faculties to type and use the internet, nevermind.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
lol at oocc of all people lecturing others about sounding off w/ their opinion after some hasty wiki reading

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

You are a guy who had a new experience, met people who thought different things, and concluded "they are all wrong, only I am right." That makes you trash and no opinion you will ever have will ever matter, because you're an intellectual coward. You should never have left your lair.

Travel is supposed to broaden your mind but it only made yours smaller and more closed-off. You are the worst stereotype of a rural person. You're too small-minded to even realize other people can beat you at your More Rural Than Thou game, despite many people pointing this out already. Every opportunity you've ever had in life has been a waste.

I never thought of myself as particularly rural. My most formative years were in a town that was at the time, about 3000 people (now its closer to 10,000), and was about 30 miles from Portland, Oregon. At the time, it had two grocery stores, a one room library, a McDonalds, a Chinese restaurant, a high school, two elementary schools, a bowling alley, and a bus that went to the nearest shopping mall, 10 miles away, every hour. And maybe it was because I was too young, but I don't remember the people in my town feeling particularly rural, or having any enmity to "the city"? Like I was raised in a small town, but I never remember the idea that the people in my town felt themselves somehow different from the people who lived in Vancouver or Portland.

And thats the question I keep asking, because the answer isn't obvious to me. How is living in a town like Jefferson different from living in Ashtabula? How is it different from life in Cleveland?

As far as when I went to Vermont. Those people didn't actively think different things. They presumed different things. I remember someone from Long Island telling me they "Had been into The City twice", and it took me a while to adjust to the fact that people in upstate New York, New England, even Long Island thought of New York City as another world. But they just took it for granted. Someone who lived in a place where they could get to New York City on commuter rail thought of it as a separate place, one they had only visited two times in their life. But I learned to understand that distance can't always be measured in miles. I learned to see their viewpoint, such as it was. But they took their own viewpoint for granted: they just assumed that everyone thought that the distance between Albany and New York City was an existential one, a fact of nature that can't be denied. Which it very clearly isn't.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Vargatron posted:

I would say the kind of services that are provided in the town. A economy in rural town will be focused on supporting the primary sector of the economy.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Vargatron posted:

For me, its based on population and access to services.

For a lot of people in this thread, the term "rural" has more connotation than denotation. The term is being used to give a single, one-word definition to a variety of characteristics, like being white, religious, from an area declining in population, from an area that depended on manufacturing, older, high school educated, being a Trump supporter, etc.

If you make a Venn diagram of the objectively rural people, and the people who are culturally rural, there is going to be a lot of overlap, but there are going to be a lot of people who don't overlap.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I grew up in an area where cattle and chicken farming were one of the major sources of production. It stands to reason that the families who owned those farms were also high up in the political and religious scene in town. Textile manufacturing also used to be a pretty big deal but that's shifted over to automotive, which has caused a lot of the younger generation to move to Greenville, which is the metro area in Upstate SC. The issue with this shift in population is that you had towns where the mill closed down and all the families left. Housing became super cheap as a result. A lot of houses also were essentially abandoned which were then repurposed as drug houses. So then you had this cycle where cheap housing was available, but nobody wanted to move into them because of the drug issues and those available houses were then abandoned too.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

glowing-fish posted:

As far as when I went to Vermont. Those people didn't actively think different things. They presumed different things. I remember someone from Long Island telling me they "Had been into The City twice", and it took me a while to adjust to the fact that people in upstate New York, New England, even Long Island thought of New York City as another world. But they just took it for granted. Someone who lived in a place where they could get to New York City on commuter rail thought of it as a separate place, one they had only visited two times in their life. But I learned to understand that distance can't always be measured in miles. I learned to see their viewpoint, such as it was. But they took their own viewpoint for granted: they just assumed that everyone thought that the distance between Albany and New York City was an existential one, a fact of nature that can't be denied. Which it very clearly isn't.
That's exactly what I'm talking about, shithead. You met people who committed the terrible crime of having their own viewpoint, and instead of going "huh, how interesting," you're still calm-hitlering about their wrongful wrongness years after the fact. You're ignorant and small-minded and disgusting.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

That's exactly what I'm talking about, shithead. You met people who committed the terrible crime of having their own viewpoint, and instead of going "huh, how interesting," you're still calm-hitlering about their wrongful wrongness years after the fact. You're ignorant and small-minded and disgusting.

I'm sorry which post warranted this meltdown again?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Thing is that every time someone is like "yeah, I grew up in a place exactly like that and know people exactly like this and here are my disagreements with the hagiography in these articles based on my life" someone decides to move the goalposts again and they weren't truly rural because they had electricity or running water and an indoor toilet or some bullshit.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I wasn't asking anyone to insult glowing-fish.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Gazpacho posted:

Allow me to relate to you the fable of the Goon and the Frog.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gazpacho posted:

Nobody was asking glowing-fish to insult them either, and yet

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I don't believe black people are very happy about being completely taken for granted by Democrats, because what are they going to do, vote for the party with Jeff Sessions in?

Helping the white rural poor necessarily means downplaying urban black problems, because one of the things that makes white rural poor people unhappiest is knowing that black people will also get any help that they vote for themselves.
I got inappropriately geeky and used the symbol for "logical or", which encompasses "and". So any combination of black, urban, and poor would be nice to see more reporting about. "I voted for Trump because X" and "I voted for Clinton because I was afraid of X and wow, I got screwed over" would be nice to hear from somebody other than the current reporter focus on OMG why did white rural people vote Trump.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Can you point out where this happened, I clicked their "?" and couldn't find it TIA

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

I was being smug, condescending and goonishly pedantic, but I was not being insulting.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

glowing-fish posted:

I was being smug, condescending and goonishly pedantic, but I was not being insulting.
Don't tell lies on top of everything else.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
The reason I feel that I am not being insensitive or dismissive by questioning the ruralness of an area like Jefferson, Ohio, is that it is not like these people don't have a voice.

United States politics, over the past six years, has been obsessed with these people. Donald Trump won by telling these people they were the forgotten ones. A large chunk of the Republican Parties recent leadership (Boehner, McConnell, Ryan, Cantor) have been from suburban or exurban areas of the East. As much as we talk about marketers going for urban millenials, places like Jefferson are the mainstream that companies market to. When you see a movie, the producer had to assure the studio that people in a town like Jefferson would drive the 20 minutes to the theater in Ashtabula to see it. This is still the mainstream of the United States that politicians and companies have to appeal to.

I am just questioning whether areas like this need even more attention. And if so, what kind? Like, what do the people in Jefferson, Ohio, need that they don't have?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Don't tell lies on top of everything else.

I really don't remember insulting people, at least in this thread. Can you find it for me?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Gazpacho posted:

I was, in my heart.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

glowing-fish posted:

I am just questioning whether areas like this need even more attention. And if so, what kind? Like, what do the people in Jefferson, Ohio, need that they don't have?

Sounds like help affording healthcare and avoiding the pitfalls of opiates, if the statistics are true

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

glowing-fish posted:

I really don't remember insulting people, at least in this thread. Can you find it for me?

You think you get a clean slate just because it's a new thread? Look up your posts in the trump thread and eat a dick. Your "gosh everyone who lives in different places than me thinks their homes and lives matter, wonder how they could be so wrong, maybe they're just dumber than me I guess" schtick got nipped in the bud here but it's pretty easy to see what's insulting about it if you recognize the humanity of other people. Which obviously YOU can't do, but decent people read this thread too.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
So, uh, has anyone read Robin D G Kelley's Hammer and Hoe: Alabama Communists during the Great Depression? Worth getting? Kindle version just came out.
It's historical rather than current, but if its good it'd be a nice insight into the thread topic.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

I'm going to need a citation for that. As a coastal elite I don't wish to look down on these poor benighted landlocked folks, but surely they have...reality...there.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

call to action posted:

Sounds like help affording healthcare and avoiding the pitfalls of opiates, if the statistics are true

Totally honest question: why is healthcare harder to afford for people living in Jefferson, Ohio, than people living in a city?
From the viewpoint of rurality, I would think the biggest issue with healthcare would be access. I do know that Medicaid funds a number of hospitals in rural areas that otherwise can't have access. But as far as the cost of health insurance? Is that a big issue.

And for opiates, is the argument basically that life there is so boring that opiates are more attractive? I certainly heard that argument with methamphetamines in the West, 10 to 20 years ago. I think opiates are pretty universally addictive, though. I've certainly seen enough people in urban areas get addicted.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

Totally honest question: why is healthcare harder to afford for people living in Jefferson, Ohio, than people living in a city?

Because jobs in the sticks pay less than jobs near urban centers.

glowing-fish posted:

But as far as the cost of health insurance? Is that a big issue.

Holy gently caress, have you been in a time capsule for the last decade or so?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

Holy gently caress, have you been in a time capsule for the last decade or so?

Montana laughs at your childish east coast concept of time passing

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

You think you get a clean slate just because it's a new thread? Look up your posts in the trump thread and eat a dick. Your "gosh everyone who lives in different places than me thinks their homes and lives matter, wonder how they could be so wrong, maybe they're just dumber than me I guess" schtick got nipped in the bud here but it's pretty easy to see what's insulting about it if you recognize the humanity of other people. Which obviously YOU can't do, but decent people read this thread too.

Hi! I was born upstate and raised in Vermont and when I got a job in NYC didn't realize how rural I was (or how slow I spoke, jeet christ), when I grew up in a smallish town, so if anyone gets to be pissed at glowing fish it's me or my doppleganger.

He's making a pretty decent point about a thing that doesn't get talked about much and you're being really weird. Where exactly do you live that imbues you with such anger on the behalf of me and mine?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

Assuming revolution is off the table for the purposes of not sprawling this conversation to gently caress, jobs and the kind of capital C Capital that builds a thing to do more things while paying folk good money to do it, and isn't just service sector hell or pees it's pants when it has to file some regulatory paperwork.

I'd pull my savings and move back home in less time than it takes to read this post because I miss it so much, but Kerouac was right, and right now the only growth opportunities there are in the Arm Candy Sales sector.

motherfucking RUTLAND has corner boys now. RUTLAND!!! there can't be more than two dozen actual loving corners in that town!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Willie Tomg posted:

motherfucking RUTLAND has corner boys now. RUTLAND!!! there can't be more than two dozen actual loving corners in that town!

Time Chasers was a documentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

From the viewpoint of rurality, I would think the biggest issue with healthcare would be access. I do know that Medicaid funds a number of hospitals in rural areas that otherwise can't have access. But as far as the cost of health insurance? Is that a big issue.

And for opiates, is the argument basically that life there is so boring that opiates are more attractive? I certainly heard that argument with methamphetamines in the West, 10 to 20 years ago. I think opiates are pretty universally addictive, though. I've certainly seen enough people in urban areas get addicted.

Just like people assume there's two kinds of welfare, they also assume there's two kinds of poverty. The difference between the urban poor and the rural poor is that people believe the stereotypical rural person doesn't deserve to be poor (I'm sure you can guess why). Same goes for healthcare and drug addiction - these have plagued the poor for decades, it's just now they're starting to manifest in demographics that people feel shouldn't have these problems.

• Locked thread