Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
curation is a creative act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

so are we all gonna keep pretending that this one was really ~created by a bot~ or can we admit that these things are heavily curated at best, and much more commonly just creative writing exercises

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
who cares its funny

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

who cares its funny

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
right click -> unmute

https://i.imgur.com/yAuNCbu.mp4

klosterdev posted:

We're starting to hit the uncanny valley of bot-produced advanced text. It sees the patterns and can kind-of mimic them in a manner that feels normal even though its completely wrong

top of the line ai models have no problem generating a couple of paragraphs of coherent english that would do just fine for an obit

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

klosterdev posted:

We're starting to hit the uncanny valley of bot-produced advanced text. It sees the patterns and can kind-of mimic them in a manner that feels normal even though its completely wrong

From a ML Tumbl

https://nmpositive.tumblr.com/post/661976040355282944

quote:

Never mind, the actual funniest thing to do with InferKit is give it Puritan virtue names.

The astounding accuracy of its replication of the pattern, accompanied by its total inability to understand what a “virtue” is? *chefs kiss*

The entirety of the input was real Puritan first names and surnames. This is some of what InferKit thinks other Puritans might be called:

Disdain Middleton
Intoxication Sherman
Pity Smith
Hate-All Branham
Suffering Baldwin
Manliness Boyd
Annoyance Washburne
Pleasure Osborne
Empathy Butler
Deep Distress Warren
Pleasant Breeze Harvie
Loving You Dalton
Nourishment Jenkins
Apologies Farnsworth
Proper Condom Richmond
Monogamy Evans
Agitate Forber
Regret Hughes
Stagnation Hunter
Outward Kindness Wood
The Decline of the West Sutton
Revenge Davenport
Intellectualism Dalton
Democracy Dawson
Moral Stability Lewis
Non-Oppression Quid-Pro-Quo Slattery
Nepotism

most of my original input was made up of single word “virtue” names so I decided to add a few of the longer, weirder compound names (like Fight-the-good-fight-of-faith) to the mix

this made the results weirder.

Potency Taylor
Serve-with-your-body Brown
Petty-Misunderstanding Phillips
Destruction Sheridan
Sorcerous Quigley
Inevitability Leonard
Good as Hell Frederick
Obvious Whitley
Confusion Torrey
None of my business Munson
Manhood Nickerson
Homeostasis Mahoney
No Thanks Gillmore
Abortion Hamilton
Racism Thompson
Socially Violent Wilkins
Responsible Boyfriend Frederick
Hope-Spite Smith
Pay-No-Attention Brunson
Fear-of-misery Storace
Over-Indulgence Calvert
Give-Me-That-Tiger Lincoln

And the crown jewel

If-it-ain’t-broke-don’t-fix-it Schmitt

Tag yourself

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

y'all remember those prints that were being made of the (i think) brazilian covers of the sprawl trilogy?

they're badass and mine came in today. can't wait to put them up! gonna be a few months though

https://citadel9.com/products/neuromancer-poster-set?variant=39306836410470

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
If-it-ain’t-broke-don’t-fix Schmitt

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

sorcerous quigley

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Good as Hell Frederick checking in

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

who cares its funny

yeah, maybe it belongs in the tweet thread but this dumb text had me in mad lib tears for some reason from the first sentence

Moral Stability Lewis, esq.

Achmed Jones posted:

y'all remember those prints that were being made of the (i think) brazilian covers of the sprawl trilogy?

they're badass and mine came in today. can't wait to put them up! gonna be a few months though

mine are coming early next week and i am so excited! the delay to find a better printer made me feel even better about the delay

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

so are we all gonna keep pretending that this one was really ~created by a bot~ or can we admit that these things are heavily curated at best, and much more commonly just creative writing exercises

creative writing curated by humanity, which is, when you think about it, the most advanced bot in existence

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Achmed Jones posted:

mines being delivered on monday :D

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

mines being delivered on monday :D

:same:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

goddamnit I can't afford to go to a destination wedding let alone a destination funeral

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

klosterdev posted:

science man: "Indistinguishable from natural language shitposting. Exquisite"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

right click -> unmute

https://i.imgur.com/yAuNCbu.mp4

top of the line ai models have no problem generating a couple of paragraphs of coherent english that would do just fine for an obit

sure but people like to pretend human curation to improve quality isn’t taking place when it is.

it is cooler when it’s the first generated response rather than the human picked best of 100

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/atautline/status/1436296169576009733

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Misread it as Arena and way more excited

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

who cares its funny

i care because continuous misrepresentation of what ai can do is causing a lot of poo poo in the world, from discriminatory "smart" systems loving people over automatically, to diverting investment in public transport becuase of the "any moment now" expectation on self-driving

that one kind of pokes fun at surface level errors made by ai's, but it combines it with a ton of dumb-but-kind-of-pertinent phrases, making it seem like nlp ai is at some point of deep understanding filtered through dumb language skills, which is simply not where things are.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 11, 2021

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i care because continuous misrepresentation of what ai can do is causing a lot of poo poo in the world, from discriminatory "smart" systems loving people over automatically, to diverting investment in public transport becuase of the "any moment now" expectation on self-driving

that one kind of pokes fun at surface level errors made by ai's, but it combines it with a ton of dumb-but-kind-of-pertinent phrases, making it seem like nlp ai is at some point of deep understanding filtered through dumb language skills, which is simply not where things are.

:yossame:

successive danish governments have eaten it up and produced nothing of value, with only billions of kroner spent to show for it

it’s like when your teacher was computer illiterate, but worse illiteracy and with the spending power of the nation

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Misread it as Arena and way more excited

Did the same thing lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ok

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Just train a bot to pick the best of the 100. Solved.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

xposting from GPU thread

Zero VGS posted:

The reason I've had it like that for a year is because I've been hunting for someone who can take my CAD models of all the components and make a vector file to cut two sheets of acrylic. The whole thing you see there is only two inches high, so I'm sandwiching it between the acrylic with some standoffs (the kind made for acrylic plaques that go on the wall in an office), then mounting the whole transparent case to my carbon fiber backpacking frame, then replacing that 12v bench power supply you see on the pic with lithium cells from a Tesla Model 3.

All so I can have a 10-pound backpack PC with a 5950x and 3080 to run my Pimax ultrawide VR headset without wires, for about 3 hours of hot-swap battery life.

If anyone knows some kinda CAD wizard I can pay them a hundred bucks, and make the design and components list free for all

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
> lithium cells from a Tesla Model 3.

> backpack PC

thought these posts were bannable

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mulboyne/status/1436617703645605888

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

yep, the guy who did mike tyson's tattoo sued the hangover movies for putting it on ed helms without his permission

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm pretty okay with this

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
idk on one hand i'm glad creatives are getting paid but on the other hand it seems weird that I have to get someone elses permission to take my shirt off for the camera

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

not sure how I feel about needing someone else's permission to display my own body. i don't even remember who did all of my tattoos

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rotor posted:

idk on one hand i'm glad creatives are getting paid but on the other hand it seems weird that I have to get someone elses permission to take my shirt off for the camera

which is, obviously, a request i get a lot

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Re j290: Are you okay with artists owning rights to tattoos on other people's bodies, people not respecting those claims, or the fact there's a fight over the validity of the claims at all?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Could you charge royalties for them? I always get copyright / license / trademark stuff mixed up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
never gotten a tattoo but do they go over this before they start

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have this image of someone running around with a branding iron, belting out Ts&C's before marking bystanders

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

haveblue posted:

never gotten a tattoo but do they go over this before they start

yes. i've had tattoo artists make sure the designs i brought them weren't copyrighted or made by another tattoo artist. they take it pretty seriously

and it's not an issue of not being allowed to take your shirt off or whatever, it's profiting off taking your shirt off. the tattoo becomes part of your 'image' and the tattoo artist can make royalties part of the deal. it's definitely unusual but it makes sense

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

duz posted:

yep, the guy who did mike tyson's tattoo sued the hangover movies for putting it on ed helms without his permission

this makes plenty of sense to me because the specific tattoo is what’s important, I’m a little more weirded out by the idea of simply having a sleeve tattoo that appears on screen or something. not sure which is more the situation in question

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

no artist has ever talked to me about copyright ownership of tattoos. yospos has a resident tattoo artist so maybe he can chime in. Many tattoos have a core concept that did not come from the artist (i want a sick eagle carrying a happy meal) and are kind of like a collaboration between artist and tattoo getter.

if the artist pointed the release thing out before doing the tattoo I would have no issue with it whatsoever because you know what you're getting in to but did Mike Tyson's artist retain copyright of his face? Seems bad if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

my assumption is that the royalties would have to be set up beforehand but i'm also now realizing that copyright is automatic so this actually is a pretty interesting question. i have no clue