Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I don't mind modded character art so long as it's tasteful (ie, the Asterrion mod for the RE run was fine), but oh my God the sound replacements for the Diablo run were loving awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Zurai posted:

I don't mind modded character art so long as it's tasteful (ie, the Asterrion mod for the RE run was fine)

Wait, that wasn’t just the normal Romantic alternate costume?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zurai posted:

I don't mind modded character art so long as it's tasteful (ie, the Asterrion mod for the RE run was fine), but oh my God the sound replacements for the Diablo run were loving awful.

Yeah the diablo mods made it 100% unwatchable for me

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

Any true Poster has already long since had their fill of “heckin pupperino good doggo” style posting. The gyromite speedrun was the “Rickroll at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade” of dog-related activities. I am pro-dog and take no pleasure in reporting this.

I liked the general idea of it and the idea of a dog helping out with a speedrun is really neat. The only problem I had with it was that the actual game was a really slow autoscroller that was 30 minutes long.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Snake Maze posted:

Any true Poster has already long since had their fill of “heckin pupperino good doggo” style posting. The gyromite speedrun was the “Rickroll at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade” of dog-related activities. I am pro-dog and take no pleasure in reporting this.

I agree with the first sentiment but you lose me after that. I'm tired of "Baby-voiced dog admiration as a substitute for a personality," but Peanut Butter was cute and it was a well-executed gimmick that didn't wear out its welcome. Most importantly, it spiked the donation total by raising around $25,000 on a weekday afternoon when donations are usually pretty flat.

(White line is AGDQ 24, purple and maroon are is SGDQ/AGDQ 23)

Chucat posted:

I liked the general idea of it and the idea of a dog helping out with a speedrun is really neat. The only problem I had with it was that the actual game was a really slow autoscroller that was 30 minutes long.

I choose to read it as a quiet indictment of how stupid the ROB concept was.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Chucat posted:

I mean it's a little unfair to expect him to play dark souls surely

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

JethroMcB posted:

I agree with the first sentiment but you lose me after that. I'm tired of "Baby-voiced dog admiration as a substitute for a personality," but Peanut Butter was cute and it was a well-executed gimmick that didn't wear out its welcome. Most importantly, it spiked the donation total by raising around $25,000 on a weekday afternoon when donations are usually pretty flat.

(White line is AGDQ 24, purple and maroon are is SGDQ/AGDQ 23)

I choose to read it as a quiet indictment of how stupid the ROB concept was.

the dog thing lasted too long to me, maybe like 10 minutes would have worked, but i can be crotchety about gimmicks. and even at the time the rob concept was awful since i think only like, 2? games were ever made for it

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

woke kaczynski posted:

I mean it's a little unfair to expect him to play dark souls surely

SGDQ, make it happen Mr Butter

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The real Bark Souls starts here

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Yeah I guess the dog run was okay. Wake me up when it's a cat doing the run.

But for real, that run was crazy impressive. Watched it with my dog, who barely understands sit and shake.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I wholly support the PB run for all the reasons stated above. I just hope it doesn't get done again at the next marathon. It was fun as a gimmick but would lose it's novelty / interest / luster if done again.

Now, doing it for a Hotfix, I think would be a great way to show off the skill and bring in attention. They (used to) do a partnership with the Monterey Aquarium; if they made it into a week of assorted animal charity runs and added it there, that could work. Monterey Aquarium, ASPCA, whatever other animal charities there are, I don't keep track.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

The RE4 costume was a stock choice. I thought the meme jacket for the RE2 run was stupid but it didn't detract from the run, but the stupid sound replacement made the Diablo run unwatchable.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I wholly support the PB run for all the reasons stated above. I just hope it doesn't get done again at the next marathon. It was fun as a gimmick but would lose it's novelty / interest / luster if done again.

Now, doing it for a Hotfix, I think would be a great way to show off the skill and bring in attention. They (used to) do a partnership with the Monterey Aquarium; if they made it into a week of assorted animal charity runs and added it there, that could work. Monterey Aquarium, ASPCA, whatever other animal charities there are, I don't keep track.

I do wonder, though, since its getting a ton of attention, how many people are now going to submit dog% runs.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I do wonder, though, since its getting a ton of attention, how many people are now going to submit dog% runs.

Some people are surely gonna try, but getting a dog to both do the commands and hold attention on you that long is genuinely really hard so I’m not expecting a flood of submissions.

Now if someone gets their frog to do it or whatever then let’s go

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Parrot plays the vocal parts of Rock Band, on hard.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Pigeon% Where a person trains a bunch of pigeons to play a smw kaizo

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
That dog didn't even no hit all of the Souls games in a row. Get good scrub.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

yeah i would gladly watch a stupid gimmick run for these events that's fun as gently caress compared with 'is this ninja gaiden run the most optimal but its 0.2sec short of wr'
Right - GDQ staff puts a lot more weight on "Is this entertaining to the public?"
- as much as I like what Summoning Salt does with this videos a lot of it comes down to endlessly grinding with perfect execution hoping for the right RNG, only to have the record obliterated by someone reverse engineering parts of the game
.... you NEED a few pages of explanation to show what's going on.

On the opposite end, those Kaizo Mario Maker relay races are what I consider the essence of GDQ. Everyone knows Mario, but this time it's levels no one has seen before, so they're playing blind, and Kaizo Mario requires a very high level of play. There are two teams, so there's live completion - and many are celebrities in the community, so you have people to cheer for.

goblin week posted:

ok now AGDQ is done I can bravely come out and say it: the dog run was a stupid gimmick and is no different from the Can You Pet The Dog twitter account

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i appreciate that the dog run exists and it was cool that it happened but i didnt watch it live and watching the vod i did end up skipping like half of it because it was just the same thing for 30 minutes

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I was popping off for the dog but even I think it was a bit long, mostly cos the ‘shiba is gonna get bored’ tension was rising.

That said I’d rather watch the dog for an hour than someone precisely but uneventfully play another meatboy-like or shmup

the yeti fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 22, 2024

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

goblin week posted:

ok now AGDQ is done I can bravely come out and say it: the dog run was a stupid gimmick and is no different from the Can You Pet The Dog twitter account

Yes, how dare they devalue you extremely serious sport of... playing video games fast.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

If you aren't enjoying a run it's ok to go do something else for a while

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Speaking of gimmicks did this gdq have any music games? Did they decide that genre needed a break

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

site posted:

Speaking of gimmicks did this gdq have any music games? Did they decide that genre needed a break

mario 64

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay fair but I meant the ddr blocks where you watch the runners die on camera

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

site posted:

I feel like most of those go to SGDQ.

Like some kind of twisted summer music festival

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
They didn't and I'm penning a stern letter to Mr. GDQ about it as we speak

They're playing Groove Coaster at Frost Fatales though :woop:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

What

110% isn't "mathematical nonsense". Percentages can easily go over 100%.

For someone so pedantic, Mike sure is pretty dumb.

E:

site posted:

No, you are right to discount it. After all, playing Mario 64 on a MIDI drum kit is a stupid gimmick and no different from the Duck on Pond twitter account.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 22, 2024

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

No, you are right to discount it. After all, playing Mario 64 on a MIDI drum kit is a stupid gimmick and no different from the Duck on Pond twitter account.

they were clarifying what they were specifically asking about not trying to poo poo on the mario 64 run, shut up dude

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

??? They’re making fun of the people downplaying the dog run

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

id much rather watch someone show me fast they can play a game than some stupid gimmick like using bongos to play armored core

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

AlphaKeny1 posted:

id much rather watch someone show me fast they can play a game than some stupid gimmick like using bongos to play armored core

counterpoint, playing lots of games fast is pretty boring to watch no matter how impressive

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
In ~140 runs that happen over a week for AGDQ and SGDQ, I posit that there's time enough to have both.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I like both :) GDQ is fun!

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
It's been very well established that the GDQ, the ostensible speedrun marathon, is also open to impressive displays of skill even if they're not necessarily about Going Fast and has been I think since that one live run of Clone Hero a few years back absolutely brought the house down; it's also why we see shmup runs and other rhythm games and blindfold incentives.

I personally really enjoy them for the variety because what's impressive at it's core for any of these runs is the talent, effort, and practice being demonstrated by the runner and it turns out that can be expressed by playing a game really fast or by slaying the gently caress out in some obscure japanese rhythm game or working really hard with your best friend doggo for a year or theory crafting on the fly one hour into the last run of a marathon to save a run other people would probably abandon as stone dead. It's all great, I love it all.

If you do not like that breadth of content there's still a few hundred runs for you to enjoy, everyone is welcome and has something to like in GDQ, that's the magic

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

also the drum guy was still doing speed run tricks, on the drum kit, so like. yeah.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Man, this GDQ really did go well if we're arguing about a 30 minute dog showcase.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Jose Valasquez posted:

How dare GDQ not cater to me at all times!? I demand serious speedrunning to be done at all times! None of this "orb" or "hype" or "doge" stuff, only serious speedrunning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Meiteron posted:

It's been very well established that the GDQ, the ostensible speedrun marathon, is also open to impressive displays of skill even if they're not necessarily about Going Fast and has been I think since that one live run of Clone Hero a few years back absolutely brought the house down; it's also why we see shmup runs and other rhythm games and blindfold incentives.

I think the Tetris TGM runs are kinda where that started. The idea of speedrunning that game was pretty much invented for the sole purpose of getting a run in at GDQ.