Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

heytallman posted:

Music in this update:
Legacy Island
This is what I meant with Rare as gently caress. I swear the breakdown around 20 seconds is straight up the same melody as some level or another. Definitely my favourite song of the soundtrack.

EDIT: of course

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothing Doing
Dec 16, 2007
For you fans of Plok/Tim Follin: someone made an orchestral arrangement of Akrillic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaEpHbgFa-M

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

Previously on Golgo 13, Duke got scuba gear and must now dive into the Spree River to find the enemy base and retrieve the Cassandra G Vaccine.

Act 3: River of No Return

WARNING: MAZES

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
This was kind of a hard update to do. Honestly, neither of the videos had too much material to work with. Fun fact I just noticed, though: I mention in the normal mode video an enemy that carries a box on its back. If you look in the background of the second screen in the factory, you can actually see it walking around!

And I'm aware of the irony of dying shortly after saying that a section isn't difficult.

09. The Workshop (Normal Mode)

08. The Factory (Hard Mode)

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Amidst all the other updates, here's some more Plok!

Episode 4 - Akrillic (Revisited)

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I don't know how well speaking softly like that works (didn't go too well on the first attempt of the first video), but I really wanted to keep the mood. If it sounds bad, let me know and I'll see if I can make it louder or just do the commentary differently.

10. Maze (Normal Mode)

09. The Workshop (Hard Mode)

And here's the Polygon article that talks about crunch time and how it affected the development of Might and Delight's two games.

As a side note, I just skimmed through an hour-long YouTube video of somebody playing through the factory. Just the factory. The normal mode factory. I really didn't think it was that hard.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

I don't know how well speaking softly like that works (didn't go too well on the first attempt of the first video), but I really wanted to keep the mood. If it sounds bad, let me know and I'll see if I can make it louder or just do the commentary differently.

10. Maze (Normal Mode)

09. The Workshop (Hard Mode)

And here's the Polygon article that talks about crunch time and how it affected the development of Might and Delight's two games.

As a side note, I just skimmed through an hour-long YouTube video of somebody playing through the factory. Just the factory. The normal mode factory. I really didn't think it was that hard.

Hooray for more Pid!

Playing a lot of a game can warp your opinion on it. My brother for example played the crap out of Dark Souls and he now calls it an easy game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Really nice delivery and commentary on the maze video.

Oh man, this is gonna be gr- aww.

virtual256
May 6, 2007

Interesting version. Is there any plot implication from not meeting the folks in the secret room? Does not having the telephone matter?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

virtual256 posted:

Interesting version. Is there any plot implication from not meeting the folks in the secret room? Does not having the telephone matter?

The plot implication is that you never find out what you're doing for the next few hours of the game and why, but in-game nothing changes. Like I said in the normal mode video, I actually did that when I first played the game after collecting a handful of batteries, and that kinda made things confusing the next time I encountered story. Like, really confusing. I didn't have much of a frame of reference for the events that were happening and it slightly marred my opinion of the game, unfortunately. The telephone doesn't change anything, though. You get contacted once, much later, and the conversation happens whether you have it or not.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Capt. J. Linebeck posted:

Previously on Golgo 13, Duke got scuba gear and must now dive into the Spree River to find the enemy base and retrieve the Cassandra G Vaccine.

Act 3: River of No Return

WARNING: MAZES

This game was pretty bad and I remember the sheer number of enemies and obtuse level design turning me off when I was eleven and playing NES games still, but thanks for this LP. The later mazes really messed me up and if I remember their colour schemes kind of made me ill.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Normal mode starts getting a bit harder from now on. Also, it was somewhere around here in normal mode that one or two of the recordings screwed up and I had to redo them, so item and star counts will be mismatched somewhere, but don't worry about that.

11. The Kitchen (Normal Mode)

10. The Workshop (Hard Mode)

If nothing else, easy mode is useful for quickly running through the game to get back to somewhere that would take awhile on normal or hard mode, since you can change difficulty at any time in the pause menu.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 17, 2014

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Hmm, I recently finished a video LP of La-Mulana on youtube. Would it be alright to link it here for this thread?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Highwang posted:

Hmm, I recently finished a video LP of La-Mulana on youtube. Would it be alright to link it here for this thread?

Oh hey I actually watched that LP, it was pretty good and explained a ton of the puzzles in comprehensible detail.

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

Previously on Golgo 13, with the help of Oz Windham, Duke has tracked down the mysterious group to Greece. The enemy also has a file that Duke wants, although I'm not entirely sure why.

Act 4: A Farewell to Arms

2 fun facts: Smoking is apparently good for you, and Greece has a massive problem with mad bikers.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Hey! Have some more Plok!

Episode 5 - Even More Akrillic (With Simply Simon)

New music in this update:

Creepy Forest << Probably my favorite track in the game that isn't the boss theme.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
A month? God, I really let that slip away from me. Well, now let's start the late game.

12. The Catacombs (Normal Mode)

11. The Kitchen (Hard Mode)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cripes, that secret constellation looked like a pain in the rear end. Lots of really finicky jumps here in general, in fact.

Thanks again for showing Pid off! I mean, you're obviously not done yet, just figured it bore repeating.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Cripes, that secret constellation looked like a pain in the rear end. Lots of really finicky jumps here in general, in fact.

They're not so bad. Not compared to later on, and definitely not compared to hard mode. The catacombs were meant, in general, to be a place of very little solid footing, with most of your movement coming from the beams.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Hey, I finally got around to another Plok update! Just one more to go after this!

Episode 6 - Finally Finishing Akrillic (With Combat Lobster)

New music in this update:

Creepy Crag
Gohome Cavern

Please note, there is a magical moment of commentary near the end of the video. This was totally unplanned, and no audio was hosed with to make it come up like it does. The planets aligned somehow.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The opera house is kind of built up as a big deal in the release trailer for the game, and for good reason. It's quite large, and is basically the culmination of the stealth gameplay that's been on display throughout the whole game. You'll see more of what I mean by that in the next video.

13. Backstage (Normal Mode)

12. The Catacombs (Hard Mode)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cripes :stare:

I mean, I know that I :stare:'d at the Normal Catacombs, but this is above and beyond. Hats off, man.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
If you watch the release trailer, you can see that the moths were going to appear in the earlier screens of the catacombs as well; and I think they might have been in there in Giant Bomb's preview of an early build of the game. So they still could've gone harder.

In the time since its release, the developers have mentioned on comment sections around the place that they felt they made a mistake making it as challenging as they did. That's why they put easy mode in there, obviously. Kind of a shame; goes to show that good games are often wasted on the general public.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Would've had this done sooner, but I went overseas for a little while. And then I had to move. But I like to think that the build-up was worth it.

Also if anything sounds off about the audio, it's 'cause I had to record the commentary in my new, super-echoey apartment, so I had to record under a blanket. If it sounds really bad, I'll do the commentary again and figure something else out.

14. Stages (Normal Mode)

13. Backstage (Hard Mode)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Time to continue the parade of annoying questions! What's with that one way door facing at 3:22 in the Stages?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I can't believe I've never heard of Pid before, it looks like a really, really good game! Thanks for showing it off, frozentreasure. It kind of seems like you're in the endgame for now, after the big reveal. How many levels are left?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
There are only a handful of areas left in the game. Don't want to say how many exactly, though if you look at the Pid OP, you could make an educated guess.

Discendo Vox posted:

What's with that one way door facing at 3:22 in the Stages?

…It's a one-way door. It's malfunctioning. Not much else to say about it.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yay! :neckbeard:

I somehow missed that this thread had kept on existing, so now I have this huge backlog of pid to watch. Thank you!

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
For anyone interested, Pid is pretty cheap for the next few days.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

frozentreasure posted:

For anyone interested, Pid is pretty cheap for the next few days.

If for some reason anyone misses this deal, it's also on sale on the developer's website for only a dollar more for the rest of the month. The studio's follow-up Shelter is $3.99 there as well.

I've been deeply impressed with Pid and the LP thereof since its initial posting and I just spent the last few days catching up on Normal Mode. Looking forward to spending a few more getting up-to-date on Hard Mode.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Finally, the Plok LP is finished!

Episode 7 - The Fleapit (With Mr. DJB)

Plok Speedrun at SGDQ 2013

Thanks to everyone who has watched and enjoyed this series, and special thanks to everyone who was kind enough to guest with me!

Ferret Glow
Jan 25, 2010

SuperTaunt is the best thing in video games.
Dectilon, I wanted to let you know, that the baldurdash links for Gradius V are so slow that I can't watch anything. I have a 30 meg connection, and the videos will buffer maybe a minute in then stop completely.

I don't know where the issue is but maybe Baldurk can fix it?

I am a big fan of Gradius, just not masochistic enough to beat V. Maybe you could mirror them on youtube? I would really appreciate looking into it or mirroring them.

Edit: I tried using a different browser, I use chrome for videos and the above was on chrome, On opera it doesn't load at all, on firefox it loads even less and is slower than chrome.

Ferret Glow fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 9, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ferret Glow posted:

Dectilon, I wanted to let you know, that the baldurdash links for Gradius V are so slow that I can't watch anything. I have a 30 meg connection, and the videos will buffer maybe a minute in then stop completely.

I don't know where the issue is but maybe Baldurk can fix it?

I am a big fan of Gradius, just not masochistic enough to beat V. Maybe you could mirror them on youtube? I would really appreciate looking into it or mirroring them.

Edit: I tried using a different browser, I use chrome for videos and the above was on chrome, On opera it doesn't load at all, on firefox it loads even less and is slower than chrome.

I got an acceptably rapid download here, and I'm using Opera. Could be there's something happening on your end.

Ferret Glow
Jan 25, 2010

SuperTaunt is the best thing in video games.
Edited: I just checked and it is great now. Funny how during primetime it was slow and at 4:00 AM it works fine.

I suspect something is being throttled to save bandwidth or something, Ah well, I get to watch someone not suck at Gradius, which I would never get to see otherwise.

Ferret Glow fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 10, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Having to record under a blanket last time made me forget to mention some things in Stages, so I corrected that mistake in the hard mode video. If you haven't been watching the hard videos, at least watch this one.

15. The Farms (Normal Mode)

14. Stages (Hard Mode)

Bonus 02. Ken's Komeback

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 26, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Okay, the farms and staircase (invisible platforms aside) are pretty cute :3:

As for difficulty, there are games I can knock out in a couple hours that friends of mine, who are entirely competent gamers in their own right and better than me in many genres, will struggle with for several days. I'd guess you just happen to have an aptitude for what Pid demands of its players.

Looks like we're rolling up on the finale. Again, thanks for making this LP!

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I'll Make Your Future Over! - Let's Play Rolling Thunder 3

What It's About

Released in 1993 on the Sega Genesis in North America only, Rolling Thunder 3 is the third installment of the Rolling Thunder series. It follows a Rolling Thunder operative, Jay, in his mission to take out Dread, second-in-command of the Geldra organization.

What It's Like

Rolling Thunder 3 is a 2D cover shooter. Sort of. Some enemies hide behind cover and pop up to shoot, but beyond that it's mainly a run and gun sidescroller. Enemies can spawn from both sides of the screen, although finite, so you're always on your toes to avoid taking a bullet. Your enemies are fragile, but so are you, so you gotta be on your toes.

The game has 10 Rounds, 9 weapons, and 4 bosses. Some weapons are more useful than others for each level, but wholly unnecessary if you're crafty enough.

RT3 also has a great soundtrack. A sorta jazzy rock deal, it is tragically overlooked and a fine example of the Genesis' sound chip at work.

What's Gonna Happen

I will be playing through the game on Normal Difficulty. I will use Special weapons for most of those levels, and any that I don't show off will be shown off in bonus videos. I will also uncover the elusive Bonus Rounds in their own videos as well for posterity, and will exhibit each of the passwords after the main run is complete.

Introduction
Round 1: Oil Refinery

MUSIC:
Bad Shade/Bad Opinion
Dammbad

Fun fact: Dammbad is a cover of T-Square's "Megalith."

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 29, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I used to play the Commodore 64 version of Rolling Thunder as a kid. I remember it being balls-hard. Our version had a set of cheats you could turn on, including one that would un-kill you whenever you died (the dying animation would play back in reverse and you'd be able to continue playing). Which was great, except for one level where you had to jump on a bunch of platforms above some lava or something. Normally if you fell in you'd just die and continue at the last checkpoint, but with the cheat on you'd die, un-die, and then immediately die again, effectively soft-locking the game.

What happens in this version if you run out of ammo? In the C64k version you could still shoot, but you'd just shoot this single wimpy slow bullet that wasn't much good for killing things. I'm guessing in this version you get stuck with the knife?

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I used to play the Commodore 64 version of Rolling Thunder as a kid. I remember it being balls-hard. Our version had a set of cheats you could turn on, including one that would un-kill you whenever you died (the dying animation would play back in reverse and you'd be able to continue playing). Which was great, except for one level where you had to jump on a bunch of platforms above some lava or something. Normally if you fell in you'd just die and continue at the last checkpoint, but with the cheat on you'd die, un-die, and then immediately die again, effectively soft-locking the game.

What happens in this version if you run out of ammo? In the C64k version you could still shoot, but you'd just shoot this single wimpy slow bullet that wasn't much good for killing things. I'm guessing in this version you get stuck with the knife?

When you run out of Pistol ammo you get that wimpy slow bullet. It'll be shown off for better or worse in a few levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Who's the dancing guy in the intro panorama art? And why is Jay blushing on his file photo?

• Locked thread