Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

They're called vores :mad:

Sir-achee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobinator
Jun 30, 2008

My rocket is the best... NOT!
It's pretty rare to have a retro FPS that does boss fights particularly well, I'd say. Even the Cyberdemon isn't all that different from, say, the imp, he just has a lot more health and does a lot more damage. Bosses that aren't just basically a single enemy with insane health and damage output that are pretty tough to find around the Doom era, which, given the reasons other people above mentioned, is pretty understandable.

If any retro FPS did bosses well, I'd say it was the original Rise of the Triad. For one thing, the fact that the game actually had its own boss music and made a big deal about it whenever you killed a boss definitely helped. But they all also had their own gimmick to them just didn't just involve shooting them, usually, like having to open up General Darien's room, or figuring out that you have to shoot El Oscuro only when he's over lava.

I can't say how well the remake handled the bosses, since I never got around to getting too far into it, but I appreciate they tried to flesh them out a little more by giving them multiple phases and such.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bobinator posted:

I can't say how well the remake handled the bosses, since I never got around to getting too far into it, but I appreciate they tried to flesh them out a little more by giving them multiple phases and such.

I only remember two of them: some idiot on a gondola/crane thing and a robot. Both were insanely frustrating

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Are the mission packs for Quake any good? I just beat Quake and it was good but short and I need more... :unsmigghh:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

RyokoTK posted:

Just started playing Prodoomer after hearing about it on the last page.

If there's a way for a wad to be so bad it's good, this is it. :allears:

It is rather b-movie enjoyable, but at certain points it dips into blood 2 levels of frustration and bullshit.

Into the rooftops being an example.

You keep going because you want to see what insanity will come next of course. :stare:

It's why I kept on with Marathon: Red until I just couldn't take it anymore.

I've never seen a mod that aggressive hates the play quite like Marathon red.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

They're called vores :mad:
Oh, right :ohdear:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Klaus88 posted:

It is rather b-movie enjoyable, but at certain points it dips into blood 2 levels of frustration and bullshit.

Into the rooftops being an example.

You keep going because you want to see what insanity will come next of course. :stare:

It's why I kept on with Marathon: Red until I just couldn't take it anymore.

I've never seen a mod that aggressive hates the play quite like Marathon red.

Marathon Red is just a poo poo game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I like it :/

Yeah, it's got issues everywhere and is ridiculously hard and blatantly untested, but there's really nothing else like it (as far as Marathon scenarios go).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If I wanted spooky monsters, issues everywhere, blatant lack of testing and ridiculous difficulty, I would play Evil instead.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

There's tons of stuff in Marathon Red that I like - the new weapons and monsters are great, the art in general in top notch, the maps are nicely put together and use some ingenious tricks here and there - but the sum of the parts is somehow worth so much less than the parts themselves. I think it's a combination of the brutal difficulty and a lot of trying to be too clever with some of the level designs.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
I'm having blast with S3DNA. Blzut3 did a great job bringing it to ECWolf.
I don't think I'll ever get all those cheevos tho. Especially the 100% ones :stare:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Nokiaman posted:

I'm having blast with S3DNA. Blzut3 did a great job bringing it to ECWolf.
I don't think I'll ever get all those cheevos tho. Especially the 100% ones :stare:
Yeah, it's still fun to go a stage or two in Wolf 3D after all this time.

Even if it's got slightly rejiggered weapons and enemies, and all the levels are made of wood of the same shade of bright tan, and you're playing as an old bald man pacifying hungry animals who spit at you across long hallways with Olympian-level accuracy and drop more feed when they collapse than it took to pacify them in the first place

As far as achievements go, I'm at a bit of a disadvantage there because my save from the itch.io carried over to the Steam version, so I'd have to go back to the start to get achievements like, say, "clear Episode 1" . Although apparently the secret level I'd saved on in Episode 3 was the first secret level, given that I got an achievement for clearing it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Are the mission packs for Quake any good? I just beat Quake and it was good but short and I need more... :unsmigghh:

The first one is awesome because it has some really good map design. The second one is worse because of mediocre map design, but has fun multi-rocket/grenade weapons to use.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 25, 2015

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

arcsig posted:

It looks like it's actually the other way around. This whole project was set up by the ECWolf developer, and Wisdom Tree is allowing him to use their game as long as he pays a small licensing fee for each copy sold.
So... they're allowing him to have a % of the sales...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's not exactly a % of the sale because if you buy it on itch.io (you'll get a Steam key for it as well this way, so there's no real reason to buy it directly from Steam) you can choose to pay more than the asked price, and the extra will go entirely in Blzut's pocket.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Linguica posted:

So... they're allowing him to have a % of the sales...
It's actually not a percentage but a fixed fee. Also, according to him, even when bought at the standard price, he's still making more money than Wisdom Tree does off each sale.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

closeted republican posted:

The first one is awesome because it has some really good map design. The second one's map design is worse because of mediocre map design, but has fun multi-rocket/grenade weapons to use.

Cool!

In other Quake news: here is a thing called Quake Injector. Choose among 900+ user made single player maps, press install then play.
https://www.quaddicted.com/tools/quake_injector

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Cool!

In other Quake news: here is a thing called Quake Injector. Choose among 900+ user made single player maps, press install then play.
https://www.quaddicted.com/tools/quake_injector

I'd like Quake Injector if I didn't have to install Java to use it. Instead, I do it the :spergin: way and make .bat files for maps that have custom enemies and the like in them.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

If I wanted spooky monsters, issues everywhere, blatant lack of testing and ridiculous difficulty, I would play Evil instead.

I never understood the praise that Evil and Red and others got, back then at the time. The philosophy for so many just seemed to be "lets make these levels as dark, difficult and unintuitive as humanly possible!". Everything about them was a loving chore.

The only later Marathon scenario I really enjoyed was Tempus Irae. Had some of the same problems at times but the overall experience made up for it. I especially liked the map in the expansion pack that attempted to mimic Quake's E3M2 as best it could in its 2.5D engine.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The only Marathon scenario that I like that isn't mine is Rubicon, for having a generally good and consistent level of quality production. It's just well-made across the board. Tempus Irae is okay, but a little easy and exceptionally repetitive, and while there are some levels that are well-made there are also plenty that are extremely amateurish.

Evil was cool back in '97 or whatever, when there wasn't a lot of good competition; the new guns are pretty cool as well as many of the new monsters, but yeah, a lot of that game (as well as Red) is unintuitive and frustrating.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Rubicon is so good I almost consider it a canonical Marathon game. They nailed the look and feel of the series perfectly, and the whole thing comes together so well.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
:siren: TERRA NOVA IS OUT ON GOG :siren:

http://www.gog.com/game/terra_nova_strike_force_centauri

This game is loving brilliant and deserves to be played by everyone.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Bobinator posted:

It's pretty rare to have a retro FPS that does boss fights particularly well, I'd say. Even the Cyberdemon isn't all that different from, say, the imp, he just has a lot more health and does a lot more damage. Bosses that aren't just basically a single enemy with insane health and damage output that are pretty tough to find around the Doom era, which, given the reasons other people above mentioned, is pretty understandable.

If any retro FPS did bosses well, I'd say it was the original Rise of the Triad. For one thing, the fact that the game actually had its own boss music and made a big deal about it whenever you killed a boss definitely helped. But they all also had their own gimmick to them just didn't just involve shooting them, usually, like having to open up General Darien's room, or figuring out that you have to shoot El Oscuro only when he's over lava.

El Oscuro's boss fight was even more complex than that: you had to make sure you found all the rooms where his eggs were and destroy *every single one of them*.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

:captainpop: Thought I'd never see a digital release of that game. Nifty!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
its DOOM.... cake.

I think that's actually pretty drat accurate.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zaphod42 posted:

its DOOM.... cake.

Someone should just poor cherry sauce over it and randomly slice it up in places, and called it a Brutal Doom cake.

EDIT: Seriously, though, that cake looks loving amazing.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That floor texture should be hexagons, but it's still okay I guess :rolleyes:

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
Old style red cross on the medkit

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SavageMessiah posted:

:captainpop: Thought I'd never see a digital release of that game. Nifty!

Huh, that game sort of reminds me of the first Heavy Gear.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Szymanski posted:

Old style red cross on the medkit
GOOD

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Huh, that game sort of reminds me of the first Heavy Gear.

Man, Heavy Gear 1 is great. Solid FMV, amazing music by Jeehun Hwang, p good gameplay.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Convex posted:

Oh poo poo. I thought this game was lost to time. When I played it I remember it having the chunkiest graphics. Still have the disc and manual somewhere. I may pick this up. Thanks for the heads up :)

Zaphod42 posted:

its DOOM.... cake.

Looks tastey. What flavor, I wonder?

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 25, 2015

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Wamdoodle posted:

Looks tastey. What flavor, I wonder?

Vanilla

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zaphod42 posted:

its DOOM.... cake.

That's a pretty baller cake

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Here's an interesting video about Doom rendering for anyone who enjoys that kind of thing.

http://www.pixelships.com/adg/epf048.html

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/23/8833293/bethesda-had-the-perfect-answer-for-people-bothered-by-dooms-violence

quote:

Hines went on to describe how to make the game "feel" like Doom. "I don't know, what's the chainsaw doing?" he asked. "Can you stick it in a demon and saw him in half? Can you grab them by the hand, rip them in two and see the spine sticking up? It turns out you can do that, and it makes it pretty cool and fun."

Mostly the article is about violence in games (:rolleyes:) but that line stuck out to me.

What the gently caress? Sawing up the spine of an Imp has nothing to do with doom. That's what makes Mortal Kombat into Mortal Kombat, but that's not Doom.

Somebody saw everybody getting excited for Brutal Doom and completely missed the loving point :smith:

RUN FAST SHOOT DUDES

There I just described Doom better than him in four loving words.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Vakal posted:

Here's an interesting video about Doom rendering for anyone who enjoys that kind of thing.

http://www.pixelships.com/adg/epf048.html
That video triggers me for its lack of good video demonstrations of the concepts mentioned

Zaphod42 posted:

RUN FAST SHOOT DUDES

There I just described Doom better than him in four loving words.
"Doom is about badass demons, big effing guns, and moving really really fast" - executive producer for Doom 4

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I always thought Doom was considered to be pretty violent for 1993 games. I mean, maybe not to the fidelity that we're talking about now, but definitely it was not a clean game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

I always thought Doom was considered to be pretty violent for 1993 games. I mean, maybe not to the fidelity that we're talking about now, but definitely it was not a clean game.

Nah that's definitely true, my parents wouldn't let me play. But I think it was more about shooting guns at people than just straight gore.

It was the first FPS and people weren't quite accepting of the idea of shooting virtual dudes yet in general, lots of games were pretty non-violent in the early DOS/NES days. I mean sure you had exceptions, but not as much as its the norm today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Seeing Terra Nova released on GOG reminded me an oddball game, which I couldnt run at the time, no matter how much tinkering I did - Wrath of the Earth. Abandonia has decent article about it: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/5575/wrath+of+earth.html