Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

you do realize that copyright laws are different in different countries, right

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't....see how it's hypocritical.

I also don't see how after four parts, people are still not over this poo poo. It's obviously a concession we have to make, so just deal with it.

TheLoneStar posted:

Yeah, and it's not like they're changing the names just to be assholes, they're doing it so they don't get sued into oblivion.

It's more the insinuation that lawyers and rights holders are apparently deaf and can only read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I would guess it has something to do with the audio being produced in Japan and the subtitles being produced in America.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Glad Dead and Beach Bum

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

BaDandy posted:

Add in Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price

idk I just think knock-off names are really funny for some reason.

You know what, though, I really want a Snoop Dogg song for the ED because I want this to be the reason that Snoop finds out that JoJo exists, if he didn't already, and I can't stop thinking about that. I need this.

Now I need the ED to be Still Dre by Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Szmitten posted:

It's more the insinuation that lawyers and rights holders are apparently deaf and can only read.

it's plausible deniability. this is how the law works. as long as there is no direct labeling of the copyrighted content in a form that the country it's being translated for can feasibly comprehend then it doesn't matter. if any of this was an issue then there would have already been legal troubles back when part 3 was coming out.

Just Get Over It

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Szmitten posted:

Stop being dense, it's that DavidPro is responsible for those sounds, and therefore if you wanted to sue, you would sue a company beholden to Japanese copyright law. The American law only applies to the subtitles, so that's all they need to care about. Guess what, laws are dumb, get over it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

hoobajoo posted:

Stop being dense, it's that DavidPro is responsible for those sounds, and therefore if you wanted to sue, you would sue a company beholden to Japanese copyright law. The American law only applies to the subtitles, so that's all they need to care about. Guess what, laws are dumb, get over it.

This isn't really how it works at all, although you're correct that the law is dumb.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
itt goons think they know more about copyright law than the associated businesses that have been making and publishing JoJo for over thirty years and localizing it for the last five and that those people are cowards

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I have talked with Crunchyroll people who have been in meetings with Viz, trying their best to get name rights, specifically for Killer Queen I remember and like, everyone involved is trying to play it safe and keep the JoJo pipeline moving, it's just not gonna happen perfectly, but hey at least it's happening at all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

lmao i have full access to wikipedia
how can a lawyer compete???

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

I have talked with Crunchyroll people who have been in meetings with Viz, trying their best to get name rights, specifically for Killer Queen I remember and like, everyone involved is trying to play it safe and keep the JoJo pipeline moving, it's just not gonna happen perfectly, but hey at least it's happening at all.

And they're trying their best to keep as much of the reference as they can, like naming Captain Tenille Captain Dragon, which is basically the same reference, or even putting in a new kosher reference, like Oingo Boingo being Zenyatta Mondatta or Kenny G. becoming BIllie Jean, which is commendable.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Waffleman_ posted:

And they're trying their best to keep as much of the reference as they can, like naming Captain Tenille Captain Dragon, which is basically the same reference, or even putting in a new kosher reference, like Oingo Boingo being Zenyatta Mondatta or Kenny G. becoming BIllie Jean, which is commendable.

those were from when Viz was translating part 3 and they actually asked araki for new names for the ones they couldn't get rights too; that's probably why the part 3 copyright safe names are in general nicer than the part 4 ones

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I completely forgot this iconic scene from part 5

https://twitter.com/charon_art/status/1015971635252355072?s=21

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the panel of bruno unzipping his face to get the phone while yelling YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND MY EMOTIONS is one of the funniest things in the world

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can't wait to steal A HUNDRED CARS

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Soon everyone will see Diavolo being a really lovely villain in glorious anime. We truly live in a magical time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Soon everyone will see Diavolo being a really lovely villain in glorious anime. We truly live in a magical time.

I'm pretty pumped to see King Crimson and its ability in animation

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

inexplicably Vento Aureo is one of my favorite parts and I haven't even finished the good translation

I think the weed twitter did it to me

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i always thought diavolo was a neat villain, the problem is just that he gets jobbed at the end

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i always thought diavolo was a neat villain, the problem is just that he gets jobbed at the end

Diavolo is just too mysterious for me; what we get of his backstory just raises more questions, and we never get a clear sense of what drives him (he's obsessed with keeping his past and other aspects of his identity secret for some reason, and he spouts a few generic villain lines about how he's destined to obtain everything in the world or whatever, and that's it).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
He's pretty much the same as Kira but on a grander scale, at least that's how I felt. I can appreciate a guy that just wants to do what he does, and erase his past where he wasn't doing that stuff. Also he has some rad tattoos and a very angry stand.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Doppio is a handsome and good boy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Doppio's phone call running gag is the best in the series

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the metallica fight is loving wild and seeing THAT animated is going to be good

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I think part of my general apathy towards Diavolo is he's sandwiched between really great villains. He comes after DIO and Kira, and then right before Pucci and Funny Valentine. In comparison he just seems like a lame duck.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Doppio is a handsome and good boy

I like Doppio, but he's really a separate character who happens to share a body with Diavolo.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

those were from when Viz was translating part 3 and they actually asked araki for new names for the ones they couldn't get rights too; that's probably why the part 3 copyright safe names are in general nicer than the part 4 ones

I actually like some of them better. Like Soul Sacrifice is a more fitting name than Devo and Centerfold is such a perfect name since it semi-ironically describes his appearance and still ties in to the original name.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Johnny Joestar posted:

the metallica fight is loving wild and seeing THAT animated is going to be good
metallica vs king crimson is cooler than anything magneto has ever done in any iteration

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pomplamoose posted:

I actually like some of them better. Like Soul Sacrifice is a more fitting name than Devo and Centerfold is such a perfect name since it semi-ironically describes his appearance and still ties in to the original name.

Soul Sacrifice and Centerfold are not actual human names, though.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Silver2195 posted:

That argument falls apart with characters like Rubber Soul running around.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Silver2195 posted:

dog this series has folks named Hot Pants and Speedwagon

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

noted human names 'sports maxx' and 'wekapipo'

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Diavolo is just a villain who is the opposite of Dio while wanting the same things

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

everyone i would like to introduce you to my son Limp Flaccid Pancake Bizkit.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Who are we to doubt the authenticity of this man's name, this "D an G"?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This mushy overcooked rice with squid ink is so good I'm gonna name my kid after it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Joestar

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The 1888 election is a close race between Republican candidate Funny "The Funniest" Valentine and Democratic candidate Love Supreme. Populist party candidate Plays W.C. Handy has announced he will be dropping out of the race.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
At least we all agree that "Dan of Steel" was an obvious improvement right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Dan of Steel is great because it’s both a (probably unintentional) Superman pun and the actual translation of the kanji they use for his name