Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Those over six feet should be shunned as freaks.

President Trump should make securing imports to coffee crisp bars and PC brand potato chips a top priority.

the gently caress would i be buying my potato chips from Microsoft for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Microsoft is a terrible name for potato chips. Small soft potato chips would be terrible. Terrible! Everything about this is terrible!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Microsoft is a terrible name for potato chips. Small soft potato chips would be terrible. Terrible! Everything about this is terrible!

It stands for “popping corn.” Little known fact, they aren’t from the potato at all! M

E: seriously though the PC “loads of” line of chips blows all the big names like lays and ruffles out of the water and I have a serious craving for some ketchup and some all dressed.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Dec 4, 2019

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have a serious craving for some ketchup and some all dressed.

this is a worse take than the entire "karen took lowtax's kids" thread rolled up into one stinky divorce suit

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
We need to stop trusting companies to make things convenient for us. You are paying for a service and that's fine, but they benefit from you far more than you do from them. Like 23 and me...what are you people thinking? Why are you willingly giving out your genetic information to a company that is going to use it for profit?

And amazon/apple can gently caress off too. You know how you can get by without their robots listening to you 24/7? Just google it. Hey alexa, frig off. I can type.

We clearly can't control technology companies so we need to roll things back and limit technological growth. We should still be in the era of non-internet-enabled flip phones. We aren't ready for what we have.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just :lol: if you don't pack your phone's microphone full of super glue and powdered fingernail clippings so it can't hear your voice once you open the box.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You are paying for a service and that's fine, but they benefit from you far more than you do from them.
Capitalism is again the problem, yes.

This is much less of an issue if there isn't for-profit healthcare.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Trapick posted:

Capitalism is again the problem, yes.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

the gently caress would i be buying my potato chips from Microsoft for?

You wouldn't, you'd be buying them from IBM

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

spit on my clit posted:

hahahahahahahahahahaha

It’s funny cuz it’s true

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

christmas boots posted:

It’s funny cuz it’s true

i guess once you pay ten bucks to post on a forum, everything seems like a ripoff

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

spit on my clit posted:

i guess once you pay ten bucks to post on a forum, everything seems like a ripoff

Only after having read your posts<<< heh

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Do you often feel ripped off?

E: ^nice

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

christmas boots posted:

Do you often feel ripped off?

E: ^nice

Not a bit, ten bucks spent four years ago is nothing to me, but I'm not a person who has regularly poor spending habits. It seems like a lot of goons, in particular the ones who hate capitalism, have very poor spending habits. For example, imagine being one of Lowtax's patrons when you've already given the man ten bucks for services he hasn't been providing for years and years. That isn't a mark against you, I don't know if you're one of his patrons or not. Also, imagine being the kind of person who reregs obsessively like some select users on the forums.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Only after having read your posts<<< heh

I have been owned online

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

just fyi it's possible to be successful under capitalism and still realize it has many harmful outcomes (like companies selling your genetic info to your profit-driven insurance company)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Trapick posted:

just fyi it's possible to be successful under capitalism and still realize it has many harmful outcomes (like companies selling your genetic info to your profit-driven insurance company)

You're right, it certainly does, but its usually treated as if it's a concept that doesn't work, and if it didn't work, it wouldn't be the standard for every first world country

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

spit on my clit posted:

You're right, it certainly does, but its usually treated as if it's a concept that doesn't work, and if it didn't work, it wouldn't be the standard for every first world country

kill you are parents

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

Ah yes, if something exists it cannot be damaging. The current status quo is the best we can ever hope for. Large groups of nations have never done similar bad things at the same time while being economically successful. Things like slavery, imperialism, etc., etc.

You are very smart.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Captain Monkey posted:

Ah yes, if something exists it cannot be damaging. The current status quo is the best we can ever hope for. Large groups of nations have never done similar bad things at the same time while being economically successful. Things like slavery, imperialism, etc., etc.

You are very smart.

Everything exists until it doesn’t

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Monkey posted:

You are very smart.

Thank you something awful user for doing the SA meme of taking what someone said in the worst possible way so you could look cool online. Nope, capitalism is not perfect, it has lots of things that need to be improved on by both our society and government, but the fact of the matter is that it's the best available option compared to bullshit like communism, which people somehow think we could seamlessly transition to in one of the world's biggest countries.

And that is why we don't do politics outside of D&D, because any regular debate will be tainted with Goon Politics, which escalates in bullshittery and toxicity with each reply, because nobody on this shitheap of a site knows how to have a decent discussion. the LF bubble never should have been popped.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

kill you are parents

At least you understand not to engage in a serious manner.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 09:08 on Dec 5, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Your fact of the matter wasn’t a fact at all. I demand a full refund

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

christmas boots posted:

Your fact of the matter wasn’t a fact at all. I demand a full refund

here you go sir, your firstborn child

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

spit on my clit posted:

Thank you something awful user for doing the SA meme of taking what someone said in the worst possible way so you could look cool online. Nope, capitalism is not perfect, it has lots of things that need to be improved on by both our society and government, but the fact of the matter is that it's the best available option compared to bullshit like communism, which people somehow think we could seamlessly transition to in one of the world's biggest countries.

I think it was Pick (maybe even in this thread) who said something like SA posters talk about capitalism like how devout Protestant women in the late 19th & early 20th century (or Bobby Boucher's mom in the movie The WaterBoy) talked about The Devil. Everything is blamed on capitalism/The Devil.

SA posters commonly take what I think are more fundamentally problems with large human organizations or problems with human psychology and attribute them to capitalism.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That sounds good and all but have you considered the guillotine and beheading rich people?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m the interests of full disclosure, should I become rich please do not guillotine me

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

oldpainless posted:

I’m the interests of full disclosure, should I become rich please do not guillotine me

Okay but you're not going to like the revolutionary baptism.

(more like oldpainful)

silence_kit posted:

I think it was Pick (maybe even in this thread) who said something like SA posters talk about capitalism like how devout Protestant women in the late 19th & early 20th century (or Bobby Boucher's mom in the movie The WaterBoy) talked about The Devil. Everything is blamed on capitalism/The Devil.

SA posters commonly take what I think are more fundamentally problems with large human organizations or problems with human psychology and attribute them to capitalism.
Modern westerners often take problems that stem directly from modern capitalism and attribute them to some unsolvable, time-immemorial attribute of humanity.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Dec 5, 2019

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Being lovely is pretty solvable.

:killing:

Also mcdonald's fries reputation is from the time when they used lard for frying.

Chicken nuggets were better when they ground up the whole chicken instead of using just white meat and some skin.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Capitalism killed the planet. What has communism ever killed?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Millions of people. Same as every other socio-economic theology.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pfft killing millions is just a fundamental problem of a large human population.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Agreed, and I think worrying about a few million people killed is the same as worrying about dropping a few nails when building a roof. Put up a memorial so people can pretend to care and keep building that roof!

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

silence_kit posted:

I disagree. I think goons are just as aware as a lot of other people that lust for material goods and the power that it translates to is what has caused a lot of problems throughout history. So capitalism is one of the fundamental problems of human organizations, from that perspective.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

silence_kit posted:

Thats about right, honestly. Capitalism has a lot of holes, but people try to find additional holes in it that aren't really there, but instead are found with the society we've bred. The internet age was a big jump forward on that, we really didn't know what to do with being connected to every part of the country at once. We still don't, really. Everything sorts itself out as we go on, though, be it due to advancements in how we are as people, or how we understand the technology we work with better.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Millions of people. Same as every other socio-economic theology.

Aphrodite posted:

Pfft killing millions is just a fundamental problem of a large human population.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Agreed, and I think worrying about a few million people killed is the same as worrying about dropping a few nails when building a roof. Put up a memorial so people can pretend to care and keep building that roof!

"So what if Chairman Mao starved hundreds of millions of his own people to death? He had some pretty good ideas" "Yeah, communists throwing any political dissidents into the gulags and generally being subhuman was bad, but it gave us the idea of Marxism" "Well, the Nazis did the most inhumane things known to man, but hitler was a good artist"

"Capitalism is the source of all evil" tankies...tankies never change.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 22:36 on Dec 5, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tankies is the dumbest term for a group of people ever imho. Which makes it perfect to describe the dumbest group of people ever....but I still don't like it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

silence_kit posted:

Pick also once said that anyone worth less than $30 million isn't rich so I don't know if I'd trust her analysis on this one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pick has never said anything right.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Modern westerners often take problems that stem directly from modern capitalism and attribute them to some unsolvable, time-immemorial attribute of humanity.

This is true in many cases, but in the case of SA forums posters, I think often the opposite is true.

For example, a common SA poster response to even kind of unrelated stories about the pitfalls of short term thinking or corruption is to blame capitalism. Blaming capitalism for every incidence of corruption, as SA posters are wont to do, is literally the same thing as calling capitalism the root of all evil or calling it The Devil.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Pick also once said that anyone worth less than $30 million isn't rich so I don't know if I'd trust her analysis on this one.

Sure, why not, I'll throw myself in front of the bus...

I don't disagree with her. $30m is a bit steep, but I don't consider anyone that has less than....oh, say around $20m "rich" or "wealthy." But I work in high finance (as I believe Pick does as well) so I'm speaking more from an industry point of view.

In reality someone with $1m in liquid assets is doing well enough that they can retire happily in their 50's or 60's if they don't do anything stupid and never worry about money or if you have around $2m any financial advisor off the street could draft up a plan to retire almost immediately. Doesn't mean you're "rich" though. I think of "rich" as someone that emails me at 3am on a Sunday with wiring instructions because they just decided to buy a place in France because they're drunk and want to vacation there every summer. And then I confirm with them on Monday morning and their response is "Eh, well I already told the guy I would buy it, so go ahead" and those hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars I just sent flying across the Atlantic matter about as much to them as accidentally buying a bunch of rounds of drinks for your friends does to other people.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I live like I'd imagine I would if I were rich making under 100k by accumulating massive amounts of credit card debt, but it still feels kind of luxurious. With 20 million I'd just be dead within a week probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

silence_kit posted:

This is true in many cases, but in the case of SA forums posters, I think often the opposite is true.

For example, a common SA poster response to even kind of unrelated stories about the pitfalls of short term thinking or corruption is to blame capitalism. Blaming capitalism for every incidence of corruption, as SA posters are wont to do, is literally the same thing as calling capitalism the root of all evil or calling it The Devil.

It’s powerful, pervasive and ubiquitous and the reason I’m circumcised :colbert: