Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MedicineHut posted:

You´re too upset to set up a patreon. Calm down first.

I cannot :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydyy-frH1-U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Daztek posted:

Eh, I don't think we'll get a Windows 11 or anything, Windows 10 will just morph into "Windows", welcome to OSaaS

Agreed, it's all moving in that direction in every sphere anyway. Honestly Win10 is far lighter than its predecessors, they're mostly receiving flak due to being "mysterious" about their loving telemetry. I think most people are pretty cool about sharing data like "my system crashed with this combination of chipset/video/driver" and such, as that only helps everyone, but last I heard Edge was capturing and sending every URL you ever visited, which is CIG-level bullshit.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yamiks is critical about ED, gets upvotes. Yamiks is critical about SC, gets downvotes.

Quite the difference of mentality really between the subs.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

MedicineHut posted:

Meanwhile in the realm of released games and poo poo

https://www.nomanssky.com/2019/08/beyond-date-announce/

VR gently caress yeah

2 weeks.

Haha, that face in the VR trailer looks kinda similar to the FOIP stuff of SC. Also goddamn No Mans Sky has turned itself around so far, can't wait for more info on this update even if i dont have a VR headset atm (and Oculus decided to gently caress us Europeans over with the pricing of the Quest :negative:)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What's the price?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

I think most people are pretty cool about sharing data like "my system crashed with this combination of chipset/video/driver" and such, as that only helps everyone, but last I heard Edge was capturing and sending every URL you ever visited, which is CIG-level bullshit.

Reminder: https://old.reddit.com/r/TronScript/

I've been using it since windows 7 start yelling my network details across the interwebs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

Reminder: https://old.reddit.com/r/TronScript/

I've been using it since windows 7 start yelling my network details across the interwebs.

What is your predescribed best method with it?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'd personally focus on the telemetry section and leave the rest alone. The other scripts are all things I do to systems anyway, but I dynamically judge what pieces should and shouldn't be run at given times on given systems based on countless criteria; I'd never "fire and forget" the whole script on anything but a lab system. The DISM reset is particularly risky. The telemetry is the main target here.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Still loling at the heart attacks from running too fast. It's so stupid and the exact opposite of realism.

Like, people with certain conditions and really old folks can have heart attacks after strenuous activity but people generally don't loving die after jogging for awhile. In fact, lots of people run for miles and miles as a form of excersize, who would have known?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

https://github.com/bmrf/tron/blob/master/README.md#use

As Scruff says, you can go minimalistic. Hopefully the virus and malware checks aren't required, so go with the telemetry; disable if you feel nervous.

Windows is a weird platform that can slip out of baseline really quickly, so YMMV. I personally let it go to town on bloatware and Metro, skip defrag (That's an automated monthly process for my worst spinners) and turn on verbose. The latter increases runtime, but it's a valuable indicator that something is happening.

If it does hang, ctrl-c will normally cancel the current job, and a crash is usually pretty easy to recover from by re-running the script.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Elderbean posted:

Still loling at the heart attacks from running too fast. It's so stupid and the exact opposite of realism.

Like, people with certain conditions and really old folks can have heart attacks after strenuous activity but people generally don't loving die after jogging for awhile. In fact, lots of people run for miles and miles as a form of excersize, who would have known?

Yeah you really have to respect marathon runners risking heart attacks all the time

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

vyst posted:

Yeah you really have to respect marathon runners risking heart attacks all the time

Lmao now I wanna watch a Star Citizen marathon, just a bunch of military dudes dropping dead after crossing the finish line.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 2, 2019

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Ok, which one of you wrote this?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Elderbean posted:

Lmao now I wanna watch a Star Citizen marathon, just a bunch of military dudes dropping dead after crossing the finish line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hU5bWRx1x0&t=73s

Apply also to 'Brexit'.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Game devs and gamers need to realize that you can't make emergent gameplay happen just by saying it will happen. You can give the player lots of tools to interact with the world but as soon as you start saying stuff like "players will collectively do X and it will lead to Y" in a massive online game you are just speculating/lying.

Emergent gameplay happens when there are gameplay loops and player tools that behave in a consistent and logical way. I know when playing BotW that bombs do damage to things in addition to generating concussive force. I also know that putting an object in stasis and hitting it/damaging it builds up kinetic energy so that it can be launched once it comes out of stasis. If I put 2 and 2 together I can launch objects into the air with bombs+stasis. I can then stand on an object and launch myself. This leads to all kinds of wacky/fun problem solving.

Robbers seems to think that you dont need to develop these gameplay loops and tools first. He thinks that a bunch of simulations that have nothing to do with one another other than FIDELITY will just magically make a game happen.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 2, 2019

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Daztek posted:

NO SPOILERS

I hope S42 comes out so we can marvel at Chris' amazing creative ideas and script writing. I bet you're going to have a defected Vanduul wingman named "Garfield" who eventually turns traitor. And he hates Mondays and loves eating lasagna!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

monkeytek posted:

Ok, which one of you wrote this?

"Hmmm.... it's been seven years since I backed that product to the tune of hundreds of dollars - I sure do hope it isn't a broken, janky, embarrassing dumpster fire of a video game!"

-A closed minded FUD spreader

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Star Citizen: Speed of a light turned off

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Elderbean posted:

It's all because of CR's "vision". Players running everywhere and bunny hopping around isn't "realistic" or "fidelitous" so they add this stupid system in to enforce CR's vision of reality.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Elderbean posted:

Robbers seems to think that you dont need to develop these gameplay loops and tools first. He thinks that a bunch of simulations that have nothing to do with one another other than FIDELITY will just magically make a game happen.

He's even set his marketing up to try and encourage this, in the form of RexZilla. In addition to being an obnoxious shill he's also the grand prophet of this whole new way to play games- basically just get all your toy soldiers in a box. Who needs mechanics or incentives? Playing army is a reward in itself.

What's interesting to me is how this message seems to be sinking in among Citizens- a lot of them are really into the idea of lining up and shouting orders at each other, with strict social rules and penalties. None of this is especially supported by the game- they could just as easily do it in Arma for free. But they seem to feel a desperate need to make something, anything fun happen.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1156976283764645890

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Whenever I think about playing yet another COD multiplayer I just feel mentally exhausted and want to go back to my slow-paced solo babby games

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
It's like star marine is completely separated from the PU and shares exactly nothing from the main game, because for king of the hill/TDM mode, thats pretty much the best that this game will get to anything resembling randoms performing no communication teamwork.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Awww, he's homesick.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Whenever I think about playing yet another COD multiplayer I just feel mentally exhausted and want to go back to my slow-paced solo babby games

I prefer Battlefield personally.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
love itself is a dangerous thing.
but love for sc is a fuckin win.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Elderbean posted:

Game devs and gamers need to realize that you can't make emergent gameplay happen just by saying it will happen.

Of course we can't. But Chris Roberts can and that's why he has been given more than a quarter billion dollars with no oversight by the very savvy investors who post a lot on reddit.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

You guys need to stop calling them 'investors'. It implies they'll get something out of this in return for their money.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dreams is the ROI.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Dogeh posted:

Thank you for using decimals for accuracy.

Also bacon and pineapple are good with p much everything.

This post is a hate crime and you, yourself, are also a hate crime.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Time_pants posted:

This post is a hate crime and you, yourself, are also a hate crime.

So it cancels out then?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sorry guys I can't do missions because I'm in the Port Olisar ICU getting a heart stent put in. I used too many emotes when I logged in and my heart rate went crazy

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dogeh posted:

Also bacon and pineapple are good with p much everything.
Ah right you are. You won't mind if we take the bacon and leave you with the pineapple then?

Yeah, didn't think so.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

I feel grief

:negative:

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Gosts posted:

You guys need to stop calling them 'investors'. It implies they'll get something out of this in return for their money.

What I've learned in the past few years is that words mean whatever the gently caress I want them to whenever I want them to.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gosts posted:

Well, i get lulz out of the game without even paying any money, so i'm well ahead in terms of investment.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

He just posted a new tweet.

"#StarCitizen covert operations: Boarding team will eva to enemy Reclaimer, eliminate hostiles on board, set ship to self-destruct. PVP in Star Citizen is full fledge."

Where enemy means - other members of the group who pretend to be an enemy in a staged scenario which will hardly ever happen organically.

Meanwhile Rex gets to shout at people.

Some people might die from heart attacks.

Possibility of client or server crashes: Spicy Hot.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Well, i get lulz out of the game without even paying any money, so i'm well ahead in terms of investment.

Man that avatar is excellent it really goes with pretty much everything you can say.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

MedicineHut posted:

Man that avatar is excellent it really goes with pretty much everything you can say.

Such a lovely, afable bearded guy.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Holy gently caress .... End times are here ..... Kiss you loved ones good bye ....

Derek Smart, yes The Warlord Derek K Smart, has just tweeted the following -

Derek Smart @dsmart
·
1h Hope - didn't see that coming.

'No Man's Sky VR' arrives August 14th with 'Beyond' update

Do you guys see that, he DID NOT call it! wtf, world has gone crazy.

Good luck goons, we shall poo poo post again in Goonhalla.

Rub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Agony Aunt posted:

He just posted a new tweet.

"#StarCitizen covert operations: Boarding team will eva to enemy Reclaimer, eliminate hostiles on board, set ship to self-destruct. PVP in Star Citizen is full fledge."

Where enemy means - other members of the group who pretend to be an enemy in a staged scenario which will hardly ever happen organically.

Meanwhile Rex gets to shout at people.

Some people might die from heart attacks.

Possibility of client or server crashes: Spicy Hot.

That's a pinned tweet from 2018

Kosumo posted:

Do you guys see that, he DID NOT call it! wtf, world has gone crazy.

Rub

But how did his extensive game development insider connections fail him!!!