Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
Thanks for the input, I found the actual letter, it's a little different from the sample I provided: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20310358/sterlingletter.doc

They have this "bonus" New England thing, which might be good for a cheap trip to DC or something (since it costs a fortune to stay there). I'm not personally a big fan of high pressure sales anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Dragyn posted:

Thanks for the input, I found the actual letter, it's a little different from the sample I provided: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20310358/sterlingletter.doc

They have this "bonus" New England thing, which might be good for a cheap trip to DC or something (since it costs a fortune to stay there). I'm not personally a big fan of high pressure sales anyway.

The catch, as is alluded to in a previous post, is that your free airfare will be contingent on your purchasing a travel package through that travel agency. After the booking expenses and inflated hotel rates your trip will cost the same as, more, but maybe slightly less than it would have if you did it all separately or through kayak, etc.. But it will also be a huge hassle unless you actually want the timeshare. But you don't.

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

Going anywhere for these sorts of things are always a bad idea. This site has a couple of horror stories of really lovely "vacations" stemming from "great deals". There really are times where it can be good to deal with them. My parents got a free TV, that they still use, for about an hour or two of looking at timeshares. If things had gotten weird they could have just hopped in the car and left.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Dragyn posted:

My girlfriend got a call from one of those timeshare/seminar companies and looking at what they're offering for an hour and a half of our time, I feel there has to be a catch. I can't find much of anything on them online.

The email she got from them is pretty much this PDF: http://www.northeastgetaways.com/PDF/letter77.pdf

What am I missing?

Ignoring the usual paranoia about these things, look at it this way: All your life you have been getting numerous free benefits from companies who are paying real money merely for the chance to offer you a chance to buy something. That's the entire model behind both TV and radio.

Time shares work on the same principle, but there is a limited group of being who can actually afford time shares, so the incentive has to be significant to get people who actually have the money to buy time shares to give up free time to listen to a sales pitch.

You are not "missing" anything. Most time share presentations have seriously valuable free stuff available (like the above TV set, or the airfare deals and dinners), because companies who actually sell things to people who actually buy things consider advertising to be a real cost not a hand wave. That's why to get in people need to show credit cards not debit cards, because the company is willing to pay out real money to sell to people who can actually buy their products.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Earlier today my bedroom ceiling cracked and stared leaking. It leaked for about a half an hour and stopped. The crack is sort of near the light fixture. The light seems to work fine, but I don't know how worried I should be about causing an electrical fire or something. I'm not sure how much moisture is up there.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
The bad part about a leaky roof isn't that it's a fire hazard - it's the fact that the whole roof may likely need replaced or at least part of it repaired. If water is coming out of your ceiling, it had to have come in through the roof which is probably a few feet above the ceiling. Who knows how much water is pooled in the attic right now.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
It's a fire hazard. Electricity and water mix and make bad things. Fix it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's no attic and the HOA is sending out a roofer to fix it tomorrow. I've been sitting here with the light on for about an hour and I think it's cool. I'll probably use the ceiling fan when I go to bed though and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't just asking for an electrical fire or something. Maybe I should just not use it tonight though.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
This is kind of hard to describe, but is there any way to relieve that generally icky, out-of-it feeling you get when you have a cold? I'm in the beginning stages of a cold and I just have a headache and mild sore throat, both of which ibuprofen helps, but I can never seem to shake the overall "sick" feeling, if that makes sense. I've been getting lots of rest, drinking tons of fluids and eating well. Is there anything I can really do to help relieve the spacey, gross feeling I have all over? Or is relieving my other symptoms like my headache and sore throat pretty much the only thing I can do?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Budget Bears posted:

This is kind of hard to describe, but is there any way to relieve that generally icky, out-of-it feeling you get when you have a cold? I'm in the beginning stages of a cold and I just have a headache and mild sore throat, both of which ibuprofen helps, but I can never seem to shake the overall "sick" feeling, if that makes sense. I've been getting lots of rest, drinking tons of fluids and eating well. Is there anything I can really do to help relieve the spacey, gross feeling I have all over? Or is relieving my other symptoms like my headache and sore throat pretty much the only thing I can do?
Could it be a sinus thing? Have you tried pseudoephedrine?

Make sure you get actual pseudoephedrine (Sudafed)--that you have to ask the pharmacist for--and not the placebo that is phenylephrine (Sudafed PE).

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Budget Bears posted:

Caffeine and b-vitamins (possibly with d3), though if you're taking anything for the symptoms thats gonna make you spacey anyway.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I've been getting several packages from my friends in the UK. Thing is, they never put their return addresses on it. What gives?

One friend said he never does this because "the package only needs to go one way." That's stupid logic. What if you wrote the address wrong? Then that package is guaranteed to be tossed into the void and lost forever!

I scolded another friend about this, and when he said he tried, the lady at the post office just scribbled out the return address and told him, "Oh, you don't need this." He didn't understand, either.

What the hell? :psyduck:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I've been getting several packages from my friends in the UK. Thing is, they never put their return addresses on it. What gives?

One friend said he never does this because "the package only needs to go one way." That's stupid logic. What if you wrote the address wrong? Then that package is guaranteed to be tossed into the void and lost forever!

I scolded another friend about this, and when he said he tried, the lady at the post office just scribbled out the return address and told him, "Oh, you don't need this." He didn't understand, either.

What the hell? :psyduck:

1) your friend is stupid
2) the post office lady was stupid

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Really stupid/small Tumblr related question: I have been using a Tumblr to keep some images on as a sort of mini-portfolio of photos of my work (theater director). I was uploading some new images and for some reason, it won't let me arrange the photo set. Previously when I have uploaded a bunch of images at once, Tumblr gave me options as to how to do the layout of the photos, i.e. which photos were big and which were small, and whether it was 3 big photos and 3 small ones, or 1 big one and 5 small ones, etc. Any idea why I can't find the option to do that any more? Running Chrome. I tried it in IE but IE 10 wouldn't even let me log in for some reason.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Budget Bears posted:

This is kind of hard to describe, but is there any way to relieve that generally icky, out-of-it feeling you get when you have a cold? I'm in the beginning stages of a cold and I just have a headache and mild sore throat, both of which ibuprofen helps, but I can never seem to shake the overall "sick" feeling, if that makes sense.

Meth will take care of that, for a while.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You know how on cargo trucks that haul hazardous materials they have diamond shaped warning signs on them for the different things they're hauling? Like how gas tankers have a red diamond with a 3 and a fire symbol, corrosive materials need a black diamond with a vial pouring onto someone's hand, and toxic materials need a skull and a crossbones? Where can I go to look at all of these so I can know what they all mean? I tried the Department of Transportation's website and OSHA's website but couldn't find anything. I mainly want to find out what one specific one was, it was a black diamond with a dead tree and a dead, upside down fish on a shore. I saw this on the way to work one day and had no loving clue what that truck could have been hauling.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GHS_hazard_pictograms#Environmental_hazards
Environemntal hazard. How'd you get that sweet title is my stupid question.

e: Since it's hazardous to an aquatic environment I'd guess it's runoff from the Simpsons nuclear power plant.

muike fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 20, 2013

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

muike posted:

e: Since it's hazardous to an aquatic environment I'd guess it's runoff from the Simpsons nuclear power plant.
To add to this here's an explanation of how the Fire Diamond works.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 20, 2013

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

Thanks dude, I thought this was the goofiest fuckin pictogram of them all and have been wondering all week what the hell it meant.

You know that one post I made a few days ago in the probation thread that I made where half of it was links? That's my guess.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
What's the chinese word that sounds like "nigga"? I study with a lot of chinese students and when half a dozen 5-foot-nothing chinese girls are sat next to you chatting quickly it sounds incredibly racist and hilarious.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Hoops posted:

What's the chinese word that sounds like "nigga"? I study with a lot of chinese students and when half a dozen 5-foot-nothing chinese girls are sat next to you chatting quickly it sounds incredibly racist and hilarious.

There are a couple of words -- with them, it's probably either "that" or "umm."

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Hoops posted:

那個plz

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Translates roughly to "that." It's formally pronounced "na ge," but northerners will say it like "nayguh," and repeatedly if they're stuck on thinking about something -- "it's like that... that... that..."

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
People always say of Milton's Paradise Lost that "the devil has all the best lines". Is there an original source for this idea/quote?

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Just a silly question I was thinking about earlier but, are there any actual GOOD 'as seen on TV' products?

I know that OxyClean gets some good stuff said about it but thats the only one I know of.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Timid posted:

Just a silly question I was thinking about earlier but, are there any actual GOOD 'as seen on TV' products?

I know that OxyClean gets some good stuff said about it but thats the only one I know of.

In my experience most are pretty good, useful items.

The catch is that you can get them for 25% of the cost at your local crap store.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
When a seller or online store gives me a USPS tracking number, but USPS's website returns this:

"Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office."

what is going on? Does USPS not track that particular package? If so, why did I get a tracking number?

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

hooah posted:

When a seller or online store gives me a USPS tracking number, but USPS's website returns this:

"Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office."

what is going on? Does USPS not track that particular package? If so, why did I get a tracking number?

Tracking numbers can be pre-assigned without being in the tracking system. The shipper gives a range of shipping numbers to a sender, or prints pre-printed shipping labels to put on packages, etc, and then scans the tracking number off the label when they receive the package from the sender. So, the sender can give you the number before the shipper ever sees it.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Timid posted:

Most products do what they advertise decently well. The real problem is that you probably don't need AN EVEN BETTER DUSTER FROM THE FUTURE if you've got an old towel lying around. They're not crap because they don't work, but because you don't need them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Base Emitter posted:

Tracking numbers can be pre-assigned without being in the tracking system. The shipper gives a range of shipping numbers to a sender, or prints pre-printed shipping labels to put on packages, etc, and then scans the tracking number off the label when they receive the package from the sender. So, the sender can give you the number before the shipper ever sees it.

Ok, but how long should it take USPS to update their website? I was emailed the tracking number on the 17th.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

hooah posted:

Ok, but how long should it take USPS to update their website? I was emailed the tracking number on the 17th.
They've generated a tracking number but they haven't actually given the package to USPS, so USPS can't tell you anything yet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

They've generated a tracking number but they haven't actually given the package to USPS, so USPS can't tell you anything yet.

Their website says it shipped on the 17th. I guess that just means that's when they gave USPS a heads-up?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

In my experience USPS's online tracking is just plain god awful anyway, so I really wouldn't attach any significance to things being out of sync.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
Why do I need to pee more often when I get cold?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

isoprenaline posted:

Why do I need to pee more often when I get cold?

Hopefully it is because you are drinking more fluids than normal.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

hooah posted:

Their website says it shipped on the 17th. I guess that just means that's when they gave USPS a heads-up?

I think so. I used to work in a small shipping office, and FedEx worked much the same way as has been described. We had a program to send the shipping information to FedEx and it would print up a shipping label, but their tracking didn't track the package until it was actually picked up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Gravity Pike posted:

Most products do what they advertise decently well. The real problem is that you probably don't need AN EVEN BETTER DUSTER FROM THE FUTURE if you've got an old towel lying around. They're not crap because they don't work, but because you don't need them.

I would argue a lot function pretty well at their designed task until they fall apart, which happens very quickly because of their terrible quality. Example:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2DKPQJO31S3GY/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2DKPQJO31S3GY

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

fuf posted:

People always say of Milton's Paradise Lost that "the devil has all the best lines". Is there an original source for this idea/quote?

Animal House

"Now as we all know from our reading, the most interesting character in Paradise Lost is Satan. Was Milton trying to tell us that being bad was more fun than being good?"

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Is anyone able to tell me where I would be able to do online cognitive ability tests so I can practice/get better at them? I will be sitting this http://www.onetest.com.au/home/Cognitive-Ability in the nearish future and want to get better.

Happy to pay (a resonable amount) to get access to a test if I need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I was thinking about going digital with my music collection. Rip all my CDs and give them away to a charity shop.

Any pros or cons to be aware of? Any weird legal issues? (Other than the pain of having a hundred "Track 01"s on my computer.)