Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gleisdreieck
May 6, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Speaking of Mann, any opinions on Doctor Faustus? I picked up a copy of it and Death in Venice recently and trying to decide which to read first, I'm leaning towards Faustus purely for love of Goethe's work which I can compare and contrast while reading Mann's.

I've read The Magic Mountain, Buddenbrooks, Joseph and his Brothers and Doctor Faustus and would recommend all the other novels above Faustus. It's a soul searching book on what happened and how could it have happened to Germany between the wars, it was so tiresome I didn't finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

A lot of mann is condensed into his short stories, tristan is my favourite of his. I like death in venice, although lolita is the ultimate response to it. I think it's better to go for the shorter material, get a sense of what he's aiming for, before committing to a longer work tbh

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I know there are a lot of sebald fanbois in here (myself included) and I have to say if you are a sebald fan, do yourself a favor and read stepanova's In Memory of Memory. i can not get over how flippin good it was, easily one of the best books ive read ever.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Jrbg posted:

A lot of mann is condensed into his short stories, tristan is my favourite of his. I like death in venice, although lolita is the ultimate response to it. I think it's better to go for the shorter material, get a sense of what he's aiming for, before committing to a longer work tbh

I guess I've only read Buddenbrooks but I wouldn't really hesitate to recommend it as a first, despite the length.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Crespolini posted:

I guess I've only read Buddenbrooks but I wouldn't really hesitate to recommend it as a first, despite the length.

my brother got it in his head to read buddenbrooks at, like, fifteen and it turned him off Real Literature for good

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

V. Illych L. posted:

my brother got it in his head to read buddenbrooks at, like, fifteen and it turned him off Real Literature for good

I can see that happen.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I remember being extremely bored by the television series as a wee lad. I think I inherited the book so I'll probably read it when I get to it.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I really loving need to read Brothers Karamazov soon.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

but first, Drive your plow over the bones of the dead

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

ulvir posted:

but first, Drive your plow over the bones of the dead

I'm reading that now. The main character is a kook, though this is fairy tale (ish) and perhaps soon I will discover if her weird theories are correct.

I like the book enough to read Book of Jacobs in the near future - that was my main question about the author and went with the shorter option as a test

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Jenny Erpenbeck's Kairos slaps so hard. hosed up romance set in the background of the disintegrating state of East Germany. It starts and finishes strong, but kinda drags a little bit in the middle for a good reason.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

rngd in the womb posted:

Jenny Erpenbeck's Kairos slaps so hard. hosed up romance set in the background of the disintegrating state of East Germany. It starts and finishes strong, but kinda drags a little bit in the middle for a good reason.

Haven't read it but Visitation was very, very good, the history of a house in the countryside outside Berlin and its occupants from like 19th century to about today.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Kairos is p good. Hans is such a complete monster with those cassette tapes

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I think my favourite of Erpenbeck is Aller tage abend, with Visitation as a 2nd

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I'm reading that now. The main character is a kook, though this is fairy tale (ish) and perhaps soon I will discover if her weird theories are correct.

I like the book enough to read Book of Jacobs in the near future - that was my main question about the author and went with the shorter option as a test

lol i’m in the same boat here, literally

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

Lobster Henry posted:

I also recently read welcome to hard times by EL Doctorow which is another literary western. And obviously there’s cormac McCarthy. If anybody’s got more, let me know!

Yellow Back Radio Broke-Down by Ishmael Reed

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Reed writing a western sounds very intriguing. I wanted to get another of his works read but didn't know where to go after Mumbo Jumbo, seems I've got a place to go now.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I wanted to read another book by Iris Murdoch, and now I've finished A fairly Honourable Defeat. It's good, though I didn't like it quite as much as The Sea.

The short version is that the somewhat devil-like character of Julius King decides to gently caress with his acquaintances, some of whom may deserve it more than others. The characters are of course ridiculous people, as they have to be for events to proceed, but I still find myself asking why they put up with Julius and his bullshit. Apparently that's something he himself is frustrated by as well, given how pleased he is when Simon finally snaps and pushes him into the pool. Simon and Axel at least managing to survive his machinations was also a relief.

The final reveal with Julius at the end has also been described as a little cheap and unnecessary. Maybe I just have bad taste, but I liked it. It made things sort of click into place for me.

I might pick up The Good Apprentice next, as I'm finding Murdochs style extremely pleasant to read prose-wise.

Lobster Henry posted:

I also recently read welcome to hard times by EL Doctorow which is another literary western. And obviously there’s cormac McCarthy. If anybody’s got more, let me know!

Me too. Good imo.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I know there’s at least one Dane as thread regular here. any recs on which book to start with if I want to read Helle Helle?

ulvir fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 29, 2023

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
“After Leaving Mister Mackenzie” by Jean Rhys is short, sharp, sad and really good. I gotta reread “Wide Sargasso Sea”

But I will never read any of these literary western recommendations I’ve solicited, because I’ve started “Jerusalem” and that’ll keep me occupied…. forever?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Philip Roth really caught my breath with Goodbye, Columbus. Makes me much more eager than I was earlier to read his later work. The lightbulb monologue in particular gives me a reason to go back and give Death of a Salesman another look. I'm reading the first short story in the volume and I bet they're all gonna be great.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

FPyat posted:

Philip Roth really caught my breath with Goodbye, Columbus. Makes me much more eager than I was earlier to read his later work. The lightbulb monologue in particular gives me a reason to go back and give Death of a Salesman another look. I'm reading the first short story in the volume and I bet they're all gonna be great.

Have you read American Pastoral? I couldn’t put it down, though I haven’t really enjoyed anything else of his that I’ve read (sabbath, portnoy, ghostwriter)

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

ulvir posted:

I know there’s at least one Dane as thread regular here. any recs on which book to start with if I want to read Helle Helle?

I thought de was good fwiw, haven’t any more of her but she’s on the list.

Personally I’m about to start Cartarescu’s Nostalgia. I know it’s hyped and my bookstore in Stockholm was pretty packed when he was here in the spring I think, but I haven’t understood what’ exactly is supposed to be so good.

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 30, 2023

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
No, it’s my very first of his.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

blue squares posted:

Have you read American Pastoral? I couldn’t put it down, though I haven’t really enjoyed anything else of his that I’ve read (sabbath, portnoy, ghostwriter)

I bounced off it because there was too much baseball. (So by page 3 or something like that?)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the moscoviad is pretty funny, in a sardonic way

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I’m reading “the idiot” because I loved the karamazov bros. For some reasons I thought it was short. It’s been a slog tbh. I’ve enjoyed the bit in the beginning where the prince pontificates on the moments after one is guillotined and also the origin of the bit in fight club where they pretend to execute someone in order to give them a new lease on life.

Waiting on more philosophy.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Wouldn't Dostoevsky have been taking that from his own life-changing brush with the bullet?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah.

Proust Malone posted:

I’m reading “the idiot” because I loved the karamazov bros. For some reasons I thought it was short. It’s been a slog tbh. I’ve enjoyed the bit in the beginning where the prince pontificates on the moments after one is guillotined and also the origin of the bit in fight club where they pretend to execute someone in order to give them a new lease on life.

Waiting on more philosophy.

Idiot ends very strong but has a weak middle.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FPyat posted:

Wouldn't Dostoevsky have been taking that from his own life-changing brush with the bullet?

The whole book is very autobiographical. He was epileptic and there are tons of references to his own critics in the text. Reading it on kindle with footnotes is helpful, reading it in a class would be ideal seems to me. I’m missing tons surely.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
Ended up rereading Wuthering Heights and I’ve found a good band name: The Terrible Intimation of Kenneth

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Can anyone recommend a good translation of Goethe's Faust? Mostly looking for Part One atm

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

David Luke is consistently the best because he understands English verse v well, he also did a good one of Iphigenia in Tauris

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'll second David Luke. Only criticism I have is that his introduction to Pt.2 is longer than the text, or near enough.

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

ulvir posted:

Dette burde skrives i nutid / The should be written in the present tense is very typical for her if you ask me, in that there's just a hint of a plot and mostly good observations about human habits and life in Denmark. Reading it was a feeling of "nothing much is happening, but I can't put it down".

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Just started Doctor Zhivago, no idea what to expect as I have never heard anything about the plot and haven't seen the movie.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Well after 120 pages I finally stopped trying to get through Can Xue's Frontiers. She was apparently a frontrunner for the Nobel this year but 360 pages of surreal dream sequences that have no real momentum couldn't sustain me.

That and the translators' odd decision to translate some of the names into English.

I get how some people may like the vibe but I think it would work more for short stories, which I understand she has published a bunch of. Or if your really like David Lynch and Inland Empire. Not for me!

Palate cleansing with Bolaño's Savage Detectives which so far is beautiful with some odd machismo and literary obsessions but I like it a lot more.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'm in the mood for some real literature after a long, long time away from it. Any recommendations? I'm not really in the mood for anything intense, so anything depressing, or manic, or confusing is right out. Russian lit need not apply. Something sublime or somber would be great. Mentally, I'm picturing something with the feeling of The Name of the Rose, but I'm open to suggestions.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Segue posted:

360 pages of surreal dream sequences

if your really like David Lynch and Inland Empire.

drat this sounds right up my alley, thanks!

FWIW tho I agree that her short stories are a better display of her surrealism, in particular the collection Vertical Motion. I also thought Five Spice Street was pretty funny and easy to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Haystack posted:

I'm in the mood for some real literature after a long, long time away from it. Any recommendations? I'm not really in the mood for anything intense, so anything depressing, or manic, or confusing is right out. Russian lit need not apply. Something sublime or somber would be great. Mentally, I'm picturing something with the feeling of The Name of the Rose, but I'm open to suggestions.

the book you are looking for is Moby Dick