Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Just get your dad one of these bad boys:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

old people don't give a gently caress about how hip new and intuitive something is they're going to stick to what they're used to

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Maybe he should stick to android
I'm gonna (partially) side with the olds on this one:

Craptacular! posted:

we came to the conclusion that iOS is programmed by people who have become too familiar with it, and it's fine if you've been following every WWDC and product launch over the years but If Only Steve Was Still Around he'd demand a spring cleaning because brand new users don't know what the gently caress is going on a lot of the time.
I think this hits it on the head. Yeah iOS is easier to do basic functions than android, but some of the more nuanced timesavers and features are...too hidden. For example:

-It took me months to realize long-tapping the left border of the screen opens up the multitasking window, by accident.
-This thread taught me that holding down the X on the notification menu from the dropdown window lets you mass-close notifications.
-Swiping left in Messages.app conversations shows send/receive times.
-Craptacular's dad has to go through Accessibility to get the LED notification button which is in a tangled mess of Settings.
-Tapping the top of the screen (where the time is displayed) while in Safari quickly brings you to the top of the page (I learned this last week ffs)

I like these time-savers(and many others that ive learned), but I totally sympathize with new iOS users because you'll never find out some shortcuts on your own. Or at least you'll take literal years to. The OS is very far from intuitive in these cases.

buglord fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 20, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah but like none of those are essential features.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Don't apple stores have free iPhone tutorial classes etc

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

buglord posted:

-Swiping left in Messages.app conversations shows send/receive times.
Just figured this one out accidentally
last night, and it definitely would've been nice to know sooner.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

buglord posted:

The OS is very far from intuitive in these cases.

All of those features are extremely minor and auxiliary functions that should be hidden. (You can argue against the flashing light maybe but even then it makes sense to be in accessibility.) giving more visual clues to those things would make for a more cluttered UI.

Have you used the iOS tips app at all? Not being snarky, I genuinely don't know if it covers things like that.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

All of those features are extremely minor and auxiliary functions that should be hidden. (You can argue against the flashing light maybe but even then it makes sense to be in accessibility.) giving more visual clues to those things would make for a more cluttered UI.

Have you used the iOS tips app at all? Not being snarky, I genuinely don't know if it covers things like that.

Ios tips is amazing and constantly updates with all these things you guys are talking about

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I get the complaint about time stamps on messages. That's something people actually need that's hidden away. But does Android do most of those other things in some easy manner? Like dual window? If they do my guess it's always on button or maybe something in the control panel. Apple is very minimal. The whole idea is not to have buttons or toggles showing that you may use only once or twice in a long while. Their hardware is the same (no headphone jack, dongles dongles everywhere). Usually its smart, but sometime it isn't.

If your dad came from Blackberry he should know the value of shortcuts. He just needs to relearn where they are.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

I get the complaint about time stamps on messages. That's something people actually need that's hidden away.

I think 9 times out of 10 you don't.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Dave posted:

I think 9 times out of 10 you don't.

Most of my text messages are things like "did you get the milk." Knowing when that was sent is the only way to know if it's still a relevant question. I don't often have full conversations over text, that's usually in e-mails or phone calls.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm not refuting that, I just think for most use cases it's not necessary to have the time stamp on every message.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Sure, but it's weird how they have this half-relevant timestamp feature that doesn't update often enough to be useful versus the weird swipe and hold gesture.

Oh, and no option for it. When they have plenty of options for less useful features.

eames
May 9, 2009

I think the AMD GPU SVP casually leaked a feature of the new iPhone, not that a depth/3D sensor would come as a huge surprise...

https://youtu.be/590h3XIUfHg?t=2826

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It doesn't surprise me that nerds view themselves as Rational Actors With Perfect Information and think of themselves as above reading usage tips.

Give them a look sometimes, you might learn something :)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

carry on then posted:

It doesn't surprise me that nerds view themselves as Rational Actors With Perfect Information and think of themselves as above reading usage tips.

Give them a look sometimes, you might learn something :)

I think for a lot of people it's just fatigue. If you've had an iPhone for a while and you're a user that cares about hidden/extra features like that, you're always bombarded with "did you know about [some feature]?" from the Internet, from your friends, from Tips apps... You tune it out after a while since you know that stuff already. But you can't know everything ...

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Sure, but it's weird how they have this half-relevant timestamp feature that doesn't update often enough to be useful versus the weird swipe and hold gesture.

Oh, and no option for it. When they have plenty of options for less useful features.

...moving your thumb roughly an inch to see the timestamp when you need to see it isn't a sensible solution?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Michael Scott posted:

Yo, I believe the sleep/wake button ends the call only if a headset (via BT or lightning) is NOT attached, as far as I understand. This also applies when the 'speakerphone' button is pressed, sleep/wake will not end the call. If speakerphone is not active and a headset is not connected, it will end the call.

He should not go back to Android.

Thanks for this.

And no, Dad isn't interested in reselling. We only used Android because of cheap unlocked Nexus phones that don't exist anymore.

buglord posted:

-It took me months to realize long-tapping the left border of the screen opens up the multitasking window, by accident.
-This thread taught me that holding down the X on the notification menu from the dropdown window lets you mass-close notifications.

These two are Force Touch specific, which is a whole nother ball of wax because I use a 6 and have never lived in a Force Touch world and can't help him with it since his phone behaves differently than the ones I've used for years. From limited use, force touch seems loaded with these "undocumented and unmentioned power user time saver" functions. On top of that, telling someone who is using an iPhone for the very first time to long press on something (like, say, let's practice uninstalling an app) usually causes a Force Touch reaction because they apply with enough pressure to trigger it instead of a long press.

It really seems like Force Touch should be one of those "setting up wizard" options like Siri or Apple ID, with Off suggested for new users and On suggested for regular users. I since asked Dad to please turn off Force Touch so our phones behave the same and we have fewer headaches, but got a "nope, this is the default so I'm gonna learn it" style reaction.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 20, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Apple retail stores, tips app and calling AppleCare are all free ways of learning how to use your phone. The support section of the website is also laid out wonderfully and helps a ton.

It's out there if you care to spend some time on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

3D Touch is good and cool and your dad is right to leave it on.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I have 3 GMail accounts tied to Mail.app on my iPhone and iPad. They're all set to fetch mail every 30 minutes and this has worked fine for me for years. Fairly recently it seems that Mail stops fetching new messages if I don't open the app for a while (which can be quite common as I deal with most of my email on my Mac). Once I open it up, it'll say something like 'last checked Friday' (on Monday) and will take a few moments refreshing and updating everything. It'll then work as it did before for a day or two before returning to a standstill.

Is this new behaviour and is there anything I can do about it? It can be quite frustrating to find an important work email that's been missed because I've had no notifications and no app icon badge to let me know anything's changed. I understand Push has never played nicely with GMail but Fetch always seemed pretty reliable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This is also happening to me as of 10.3.2, I have to constantly check the Mail app for Gmail, even when I set Fetch to different times. I'd report it as a bug

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wonder if it thinks it's on Low Battery mode, as that's a feature of that...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I had to switch to the Gmail app and I really wish Apple would bury the loving hatchet and get push working again.

The Gmail app sucks so much.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I like the Gmail app.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Have you tried inbox? It's pretty snazzy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Have you tried inbox? It's pretty snazzy.

Yes. Yes it is.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Craptacular! posted:

It really seems like Force Touch should be one of those "setting up wizard" options like Siri or Apple ID, with Off suggested for new users and On suggested for regular users. I since asked Dad to please turn off Force Touch so our phones behave the same and we have fewer headaches, but got a "nope, this is the default so I'm gonna learn it" style reaction.

And he'd be right

PS 3D touch is on your phone, force touch is on the mac

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Millstone posted:

PS 3D touch is on your phone, force touch is on the mac

Yes, strikes me as incredibly dumb to have two naming conventions. Steve would never stand for this.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

Michael Scott posted:

Yes, strikes me as incredibly dumb to have two naming conventions. Steve would never stand for this.

I think it's because force touch is a binary touch or harder touch response while 3d touch is its non-binary genderfluid cousin

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

The keyboard is the only thing I miss from my windows phone years. Aside from the convenience of long pressing the full stop to get other punctuation, the auto correct, prediction and learning abilities of the keyboard were amazing. The iOS keyboard is rubbish by comparison, I'm constantly having to fight with it.

SwiftKey literally does this, install it

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
If I use Bluetooth headphones (if that makes a difference) and google maps navigation is there a way to turn up the volume of the audio directions but not any music or podcasts that are playing?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
5gigs free on my 16 gig SE woooo weeeee

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

GoldfishStew posted:

👀

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GoldfishStew posted:

This but 6S+. Every few days I'm figuring out what to prune so I can take a few photos or videos.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I wasn't complaining. That's a lot of space to me. I use google photos.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

GoldfishStew posted:

I wasn't complaining. That's a lot of space to me. I use google photos.

Yeah that's actually a lot of free space for a 16GB phone. If that were me I'd always be <500MB free.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
-Guy buys a new 16GB 6 when the 6S is barely more expensive.
-Finds a repair shop to solder a 128GB flash chip, voiding warranty while spending almost the same to just buying the real 128GB version to begin with.
-Thinks he is a great bargain hunter.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is there a keyboard that lets me delete individual words from the user dictionary, without wiping the entire dictionary and having to teach it all the wacky fictional character names and gamer handles I spout on a regular basis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

No. iPhone is for cool dudes like me, not nerds like you.