Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

“Many such cases” - Otho the Barathrumite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

okay man if losing three chairs, some plants and a Wii remote is a "much was lost" situation to you I'm just going to assume you're never loving satisfied

Hoegbottom? made me go check my Ambergris book for a second lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Hoegbottom? made me go check my Ambergris book for a second lol

For some reason years after reading City of Saints and Madmen I started using "Crazy Uncle Hoegbottom" as a character name and could not for the life of me remember where it came from

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Unormal posted:

• Fixed a bug that rarely caused fixed settlement ovens to appear in random encounters.

This is worse than Warframe's Dante nerf. :qq:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

okay man if losing three chairs, some plants and a Wii remote is a "much was lost" situation to you I'm just going to assume you're never loving satisfied

Those robots had names, you monster!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Oh yeah what were they

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I saw one dude on a stream collapsing/expanding all inventory categories at one go. How is that done?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Two separate historical sites deep in the Moon Stair populated entirely by reef hermits (pinatas)... this almost makes up for the one where every staircase brings you out surrounded by 5+ polysludges

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
One of my favorite historical sites from long ago drew 'humans' as their totem, which was pretty amusing going down stairs and slaughtering endless farmers. Until the next level was packed like sardines with Seekers, armed with the old Sunder Mind.

It's a funny prank, but only in hindsight.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

I saw one dude on a stream collapsing/expanding all inventory categories at one go. How is that done?

+ and - on the numpad iirc

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Why do sludges make me vomit so much? Multiple vomits per turn while I wander around this mushroom forest.

I eventually got to pax klanq's place only to find sludges spawned INSIDE his hut and killed him before I even broke in. He's half a dimension off, how'd they even see him to kill him?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

Why do sludges make me vomit so much? Multiple vomits per turn while I wander around this mushroom forest.

I eventually got to pax klanq's place only to find sludges spawned INSIDE his hut and killed him before I even broke in. He's half a dimension off, how'd they even see him to kill him?

One of the potential pseudopods (putrescence I think) makes the target vomit. What a horrible sentence to type while eating lunch

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Water sludges will also excessively hydrate you until you get the "you drank way too much! You vomit!" popup, but yeah if you're just randomly puking everywhere with no popup then I imagine you must be getting tagged with putrescence

e: personally I think Klanq's map should just not have any sludges spawning in it. That weird little fungus has been chilling in the Rainbow Woods for a while, it seems absurd that they haven't taken the time to safeguard against polydimensional hell sludges in some way

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 8, 2024

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

+ and - on the numpad iirc

Thanks! That is handy..

Finally ploughed my way to Grit Gate. Now I am tasked to go to Gologtha. I recall from 8 years ago that I tried it previously and got some disesae... heh. Maybe there's a way to avoid it this time.. somehow?

Anyways, how do you deal with chaingun turrets? I have melee weapons and a rifle. I once tried throwing an EMP nade but it hit a wall instead... frag nades seem to work if the sight is clear with no walls, but I have found (and used) only one so far.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Ihmemies posted:

Thanks! That is handy..

Finally ploughed my way to Grit Gate. Now I am tasked to go to Gologtha. I recall from 8 years ago that I tried it previously and got some disesae... heh. Maybe there's a way to avoid it this time.. somehow?

Some dishes give disease resistance. There's also honey and... Yuckwheat stem? I just go really fast and try to cure everything after.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Ihmemies posted:

Anyways, how do you deal with chaingun turrets? I have melee weapons and a rifle. I once tried throwing an EMP nade but it hit a wall instead... frag nades seem to work if the sight is clear with no walls, but I have found (and used) only one so far.

The ideal method at lower levels is usually "don't." If you absolutely have to get past one, you've already got the right idea - lobbing indirect explosives from behind cover is among the safest strategies. Remember that you can target an empty tile near the turret; there isn't really any added benefit for beaning the thing with a fastball pitch, so stay the hell out of the line of fire.

Later, when you have good HP and lots of armour, you'll barely even bat an eye at chaingun turrets. It still won't necessarily be super smart to calmly walk up and melee them (their rate of fire all but ensures that you'll still get critted from time to time), but you'll be able to calmly blast them with a carbine or whatever and move on. For now, focus on surviving until you can reach that point :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks, better to skip the turrets then. Throwing a nade next to them is a good idea. I started delving further into grit gate, and found a grenade launcher. Maybe that will give more range and accuracy with nades.

Also found a combat shotgun, carbine and other stuff. Grit gate seems to be quite easy compared to the loot you get! Now the problem is that I have too many heavy guns...

Is there some downside to tinkering, for example is the amount of tinkering limited per item? Or can I turn especially the heaviest items to slender with tinkering, it halves their weight.

The merchant at Grit gate sold some slugs. So now I'm quite set with those...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 8, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
An item can have up to 3 mods, barring a few weird edge cases that are probably unintentional.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
One thing that makes me kinda sad is the lack of shotguns, to be honest. You've got single shot and combat but for me they're so rare compared to rifles that I never get the chance to use them when they'd be feasible to use. I think a look at higher tier shotguns and energy equivalents would be really neat.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No real downside to tinkering, other than the stat/skill points you have to commit to get the skills, aka opportunity costs. It's a very strong skillset for making your gadgets better, and who doesn't love gadgets?

Hrm, more narrowly, every mod makes the next one more expensive, and you can only put 3 mods on any given item . That's only really relevant for hyper-munchkin lategame stuff, so just go ham.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks! So slender & lacquered it will be. I hate rust.. and heavy items.

Also found an artifact. It is a rifle. Repeateldy trying to examine it further fails, it just says > You are puzzled by your rifle. I have 24 int and the advanced toolkit. Maybe I'm just too dumb.

E: welp, the vendors restock when you are long enough away. Now the dude at Grit Gate sells more slugs...

E2: can I "store" my stuff on grit gate's floor?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 8, 2024

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'd kill for the shotty to have slightly less spread

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Ihmemies posted:

E2: can I "store" my stuff on grit gate's floor?

Yeah. I’ll usually grab a treasure chest from somewhere just for the sake of organization, but your stuff will be fine in a pile on the floor, NPCs won’t steal it or anything.

Also, it doesn’t come up much but sitting in a chair actually gives a bonus to artifact identification. Can be nice when you’re struggling to id something.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, you can just dump your stuff on the floor and it'll be fine. for more organization, carry in some chests from the grit gate dungeon. since you're already there, you can pay the bears to identify items for you

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah. I’ll usually grab a treasure chest from somewhere just for the sake of organization, but your stuff will be fine in a pile on the floor, NPCs won’t steal it or anything.

Also, it doesn’t come up much but sitting in a chair actually gives a bonus to artifact identification. Can be nice when you’re struggling to id something.

Nice. The chair worked. Bear wanted 47 drams and that was too much!

Quite good loot in the Grit Gate. I mean effectively the levels 1-19 were as easy/hard throughout, but loot got better in the end. Level 20 dropped into regular caves, and the mobs there didn't look that friendly anymore, so I bailed out.

I also looted some chests nearby and moved them to the bear shop. They were only 1 lbs each so quite light weight. Now the stuff which I might need but might not need, but not sure yet, is neatly organized

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 8, 2024

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Holy heck you got a spaser before Golgotha. Don't die to hubris immediately!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

Holy heck you got a spaser before Golgotha. Don't die to hubris immediately!

Welp, yes... I went to the mushroom town and pulled an angry bear with me. I accidentally did some blast damage to guys around there, including Crowsong, which is now hostile.

Is there some way to make amends... I really don't want to fight with them, and killing Crowsong doesn't look like the best idea.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
As long as you didn’t kill a legendary and drop your reputation with the village enough that they’re hostile on sight, you should be able to just run away for a bit and they’ll have calmed down when you return.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you haven’t actually killed anyone and wrecked your town reputation, then just leave for a few days and everyone will cool off.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Is single weapon fighting pretty much the way to go for punch man true kin builds currently?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm also curious about that

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

IthilionTheBrave posted:

One thing that makes me kinda sad is the lack of shotguns, to be honest. You've got single shot and combat but for me they're so rare compared to rifles that I never get the chance to use them when they'd be feasible to use. I think a look at higher tier shotguns and energy equivalents would be really neat.

there is absolutely space for a plasma shotgun, imo

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Theotus posted:

Is single weapon fighting pretty much the way to go for punch man true kin builds currently?

Yeah, I don't think multiweapon has anything to offer for that setup. Single weapon fighting gets you more attacks with more penetration, and leaves your offhand free for a shield or glowsphere or something.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
that's my chair throwing hand

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, I don't think multiweapon has anything to offer for that setup. Single weapon fighting gets you more attacks with more penetration, and leaves your offhand free for a shield or glowsphere or something.

Nice! Reading through the skills since the rework and there's so many I want on pretty much every build now. Nostrums in the Physic tree seems extremely convenient for dealing with fungal misfortune.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

True Kin pretty much end up with enough skill points to get whatever they want tbh

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

True Kin pretty much end up with enough skill points to get whatever they want tbh

I agree. I'm level 18 and I have quite a lot of stuff. Naturally I dicked around before getting to Golgotha, so I doubt I'll get any extra quest rewards from this..

Anyways, what is this place? Several slimy shafts down (not promising) and a deep shaft down in a locked building (I unlocked the door with a spaser).

I found some AG boots earlier, maybe I should just float down and see what happens. Deep shaft looks more promising than slimy shafts, yuck. Why there are no staris down? :sludgepal:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

They can also chuck warm static with comparably little risk, so can easily end up with all skills.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

I agree. I'm level 18 and I have quite a lot of stuff. Naturally I dicked around before getting to Golgotha, so I doubt I'll get any extra quest rewards from this..

Anyways, what is this place? Several slimy shafts down (not promising) and a deep shaft down in a locked building (I unlocked the door with a spaser).

I found some AG boots earlier, maybe I should just float down and see what happens. Deep shaft looks more promising than slimy shafts, yuck. Why there are no staris down? :sludgepal:

Welcome to the first competency check and challenge to lateral thinking. Do you have a workable build? Do you know when to fight and when to run? Do you have escape options for when you can't fight? Can you handle challenges other than an enemy with AV, DV, and an attack roll? Here's a puzzle. If you treat it like the average 5 strata dive, you're in for a bad treat!

Flying down Golgotha's central shaft is a great skip, so long as you're careful and don't mess it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp I don't know too much about a "build". I thought I'd rather shoot at enemies than melee them, so I put a lot in agility and intelligence. Somehow my guy ended up having axe and dual wield proficiency. I've been buying random skills and now I use a salthopper mandible and a flaming carbide dagger when I want to save ammo, and enemies are not too nasty. So I shoot at enemies.. and I can sprint away if things go badly.. :v: Is that a build? :shrug:

Goatmen sowers with their seeds and turret layers are painful though. Especially laser turrets and low light laser turrets, which have good accuracy over long ranges are painful. Chainguns are quite inaccurate so I can blast them with a spaser. Dunno what lies under Golgotha though. Maybe I'll try a regular slime vent, I guess I can float back up if it looks too bad!