Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CSPAM has absolutely melted people’s brains into mush, and there is a recent exhibit in QCS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

food court bailiff posted:

CSPAM has absolutely melted people’s brains into mush, and there is a recent exhibit in QCS.

Which one lol? Like half the threads in QCS right now are some kind of D&D/CSPAM slapfight.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
CSPAM Equal Rights Movement: the current IK of the Trump thread has only seven pages of posts in the thread by the middle of the month

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

probably cspam should get their own mods or whatever they're asking for exactly, i hope somebody's working on that. in the meantime the drama is tasty. the protest posts have elevated the matter to QCS, what will happen next? this must be what living in the paris commune felt like

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
CSPAM is seriously bad and essentially just death cultists. I think it's good to keep them separate and yes cspam is the containment zone.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

IIRC wanting to read the follow up (and having missed it live) was the reason I finally bought archives. It was disheartening to see some goons still pissing in the well after he begins to turn things around (and definitely changes his attitude 180 degrees).

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

CSPAM is seriously bad and essentially just death cultists.

Death cultists? We're leftists, not Trad Caths

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904066

I’ve liked most of the recent C-SPAM related QCS threads and thought the C-SPAMers raised pretty good points, but I can’t make heads or tails of this one. The OP posts a bunch of probations that happened in a previous QCS thread, other people say the probations are fine, and the OP and Plinkey are like “Oh my god, it’s not ABOUT the probations!” without ever saying what it is actually about. The OP, in particular, is furious that people do not agree with or understand their point which they refuse to elaborate on.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah i couldn't figure that out either. Looked like it was just those two though because basically nobody else backed them up (because that was some manic dumbposting)

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i think they're basically doing performative posting in the theme of past political rebellions, to have inane fun but also to make The Important Point that they have grievances about moderation. i thought plinkey laid that out at some point in their words

i think part of the story is also just people trolling and loving around for the chaos, not to make them all into e-gandhi here

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think the CSPAM posters are upset about a CSPAM IK, so they tried to complain to a higher authority (QCS) but they did so in a CSPAM style, so they weren't understood, and were probated instead. That's what I got?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the next step in the cycle is that a bunch of the people who take cspam posting too seriously are going to make an offsite and it will collapse immediately

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wait cspam is supposed to be "leftist" ?!?! Also that's the worst QCSposting I've ever seen and that's saying a lot.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I like eonwe

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

RFC2324 posted:

E: holy poo poo he's replying to page 37

Boy I sure am glad I spent years clearing up my many mental illnesses and substance abuse problems, now to take a biiiiig sip of coffee and log onto the Something Awful forums for the first time in years...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We made it goons. Of the many reasons to block this website it's "weapons"

At least they aren't like the grocery store down the street that blocks discord and SA but lets me on Reddit no questions asked

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The bigger question is why anyone would be in a Best Buy in 2019.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Solice Kirsk posted:

The bigger question is why anyone would be in a Best Buy in 2019.

Price match other stores and not deal with shipping?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:stonk: Grooooooooooooooooooss dude!!!

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This Fishmech person being a lady but still being referred to as "he" is an example of the profound fundamental sexism of online posting.

It will take generations to overcome I suppose

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Spins posted:

This Fishmech person being a lady but still being referred to as "he" is an example of the profound fundamental sexism of online posting.

It will take generations to overcome I suppose
You aren't wrong in general, but Fishmech was a poster a long time before transitioning. I don't think a lot of posters even know about it.

e: This comes across as defending misgendering someone, and it's not. I just wanted to add some context.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I definitely didn't know Fishmech had transitioned, though I did my best not to engage her at all because she was Fishmech, so that is understandable. Of course if you've read this entire thread at this point you should be aware by this point.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh did not know there was transitioning involved, ty, i will shut up

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Len posted:

We made it goons. Of the many reasons to block this website it's "weapons"

At least they aren't like the grocery store down the street that blocks discord and SA but lets me on Reddit no questions asked

I'm surprised it's the subforum dedicated entirely to firearms with multiple fatalities directly connected to it that did us in and not the subforum dedicated to illegal drugs with multiple fatalities directly connected to it.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

I'm surprised it's the subforum dedicated entirely to firearms with multiple fatalities directly connected to it that did us in and not the subforum dedicated to illegal drugs with multiple fatalities directly connected to it.

Drugs are less likely than firearms to kill people who didn't use them.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

You aren't wrong in general, but Fishmech was a poster a long time before transitioning. I don't think a lot of posters even know about it.

e: This comes across as defending misgendering someone, and it's not. I just wanted to add some context.

Yeah, I didn't even know they transitioned until well after the perma.

As for CSPAM, Smythe made a good post regarding the state of things:

Smythe posted:

There's a lot of consternation over CSPAM these days. I've posted there a lot in the past and I get the forum and the deal. Let me talk about the forum and its nature philosophically for a sec, if you'll indulge it.

It's ostensibly a D&D fyad-lite sub. That means it's okay to type poorly, to flame people, to post mean poo poo and troll, and people do do that there. But it changed a bit, over time, as the style of the forum converged with that would become known the dirtbag left that we all enjoy on Chapo, Trillby Workers Parts, all that kind of poo poo. It's become a real piece of the dirtbag left world. It's powerful and important. It was a natural fit - a mean, funny, but also serious and for-real platform and message. The "decorum poisoned" "Left" in this country has failed and they and their ways must be completely abolished and replaced with people who give enough of a poo poo to call people a mean name and start actually fixing poo poo. It's a tough-talking blue collar spirit towards progressivism and it's born and bred online. CSPAM is a part of and a creator of that, like an ouroboros.

That said, a lot of that spirit is directly opposed to D&D. D&D is the decorum-poisoned other that it hates so much. It is the old way, the neoliberal enemy that has promised so much but lied and betrayed those who most needed it. It is the "controlled opposition" and the "10,000 year old ghoul" and it's right here on the forums. At least, that's the belief - but I don't really agree. D&D posters are goons, just like CSPAM posters, and that commonality supersedes a lot. We're all posting here because it's the best website online, and we love it. Sure, you might think some people might need some readjustment in their political alignment, and that's OK - but we can't go trashing the whole house just because there's a faintly bad odor in one room. Instead, we can address it with care and compassion, as one would a brother or sister rather than an enemy. Lets be better to each other.

The cultures of D&D and CSPAM have diverged considerably, and as such, we on the mod team have moved to separate them in jurisdiction. No longer will D&D mods work in a realm where they lack the appropriate context.

Further, it needs to be understood that we're in the run up to the most contentious election of our lives, possibly of our entire lives until we're dead and buried. Tensions are running very high, the stakes could not be higher. We are in a fight for the survival of not just our nation but the whole planet; no hyperbole whatsoever. It's understandable that a political fyad-lite would be wild and crazy during something like that. This is a unique time and the problems we have are unique to it and must be addressed as they are, not with sweeping policy or procedure. There is no precedent for the political landscape of today, and we have to take it as it comes. Due to this confluence of extraordinary circumstances we have to move with caution and care; and our way of doing that is by adding more iks to tend the garden while it grows wildly. They are the best tool we have on the forums to keep a forum running clean for a limited duration. Once the election happens, traffic will subside and we can pare it back a bit.

The forum is one of the most popular on the site, and I personally loving love posting there and the posters therein. We can all enjoy it, without blowing up the rest of the site.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think this election is going to be more contentious than the last one. The last one had two nominees that nobody on any side wanted to vote for.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I am largely letting Smythe and Jeffrey steer this CSPAM ship as I have never really interacted with the subforum, but, I think in fairness to the D&D mods I should point out that the CSPAM mods directly asked them to help and never un-asked them. I believe it is now established the CSPAM mods and IKs will take care of things by themselves, but it isn't as though the D&D ones simply one day decided they were going to mod CSPAM, too.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

or don’t let fyad tankies run a forum

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

or don’t let fyad tankies run a forum
This is not an accurate reading of any demographic.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I am largely letting Smythe and Jeffrey steer this CSPAM ship as I have never really interacted with the subforum, but, I think in fairness to the D&D mods I should point out that the CSPAM mods directly asked them to help and never un-asked them. I believe it is now established the CSPAM mods and IKs will take care of things by themselves, but it isn't as though the D&D ones simply one day decided they were going to mod CSPAM, too.
I only just realized you have two accounts now, which clears up some confusion.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:laffo: Sorry about that. I over- or under-react to modding decisions at times, and so I prefer not to have my probations go through automatically when I queue them (I can step back and take another look first). I still mostly use my mod account unless I need my Big Girl Voice.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Good God, the bird mods aren't just evolving... They're multiplying!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

You know what they say about flocking together!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
With all these reasonable decisions going on how will we continue our important tradition of admins only ever stepping down by being chased out in disgrace (with or without a bunch of Lowtax's money)?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Ghostlight posted:

this site has a front page profile?

I usually browse the forums by snapping the window to half my monitor so I occasionally accidentally click on a threads author instead of the thread name and it takes me to their profile and it feels like I imagine walking into someones house by accident. It's doubly weird if they have a picture of themselves on their profile.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't think this election is going to be more contentious than the last one. The last one had two nominees that nobody on any side wanted to vote for.
i mean, this one will be the same thing except this time the worst nominee has already spent four years campaigning with the resources of the government and attempting to blackmail foreign nations into assisting his reelection.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ghostlight posted:

i mean, this one will be the same thing except this time the worst nominee has already spent four years campaigning with the resources of the government and attempting to blackmail foreign nations into assisting his reelection.

The Dems haven't actually picked their candidate yet so there's still a chance they find a worse one, lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

With all these reasonable decisions going on how will we continue our important tradition of admins only ever stepping down by being chased out in disgrace (with or without a bunch of Lowtax's money)?

There's been decades of admins leaving in shame, maybe we've used through all of them and finally run out?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Finding out mods have feathers is almost as mindblowing as finding out dinosaurs had them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Pick posted:

CSPAM is seriously bad and essentially just death cultists. I think it's good to keep them separate and yes cspam is the containment zone.

it's also the only place to talk about genuine leftist stuff without it just being tankies and people with serious brain problems
in conclusion cspam is a land of contrasts

but yeah it sounds like bird, smythe and jeffrey have the right idea