Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

lt_kennedy posted:

Just cracked into the begining of book 2 of DUNE which I always marveled at the accessories the Fremen have made out of spice by products and the purported excellence of its manufacturing? Probs trade with smugglers had something to trade for considering the cost of deep space travel

Said before but given spice is probably one of the few things that makes Fremen life remotely bearable I imagine they've gotten creative with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

super bowl Sunday... perfect time to watch dune with a buddy who hasn't seen it

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Avynte posted:

I always was curious of more info on the House Ferrets. It was just a throwaway mention, but I loved the idea of (most likely) bio-engineered super ferrets roaming the keeps looking to kill biological intruders.

Poisonous animals introduced to your dwelling by your feuding enemies? House Ferrets
Annoying visitors? House Ferrets
Clogged pipes? House Ferrets
Hamster stuck up your rear end? Just One House Ferret, don't get greedy

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

kalel posted:

super bowl Sunday... perfect time to watch dune with a buddy who hasn't seen it

shai halut hut hut hut hike!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
House Ferret was next in line to get Arrakis but stupid padishah emperor just had to gently caress with it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://archive.org/details/dune-en...age/28/mode/2up

this has probably been posted already, but nonetheless

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
How is that not infringement?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Wait I didn't realize what the framing device was for the Encyclopedia. This is awesome. But how is Hadi Benotto the editor?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

why shouldn't she be?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

sebmojo posted:

https://archive.org/details/dune-en...age/28/mode/2up

this has probably been posted already, but nonetheless

Some interesting OCR errors in that one.

quote:

12725: The Festival City of ONN is built according to the design of Puncan-12720.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Driving in the city and saw a Dunc painting (well part of it anyway)

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My boss told me to change my Slack profile picture to this because of my ability to rattle OSHA statute and interpretations off the dome.

I can’t tell if I should be annoyed, proud, or both.
it’s a fun joke format - like you’re about to name the writing and directorial staff of individual Simpsons episodes episodes

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1458646334873997314?s=20&t=YBnQSFYifdIbkVuLJGBhuw

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's not dunc that's eddy scissorhands

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

...maybe you're on to something here

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Coffee Jones posted:

it’s a fun joke format - like you’re about to name the writing and directorial staff of individual Simpsons episodes episodes

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1458646334873997314?s=20&t=YBnQSFYifdIbkVuLJGBhuw

The water of his toes have been returned to the tribe

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Some interesting OCR errors in that one.

After reading OCR'd versions of old books I've learned to always go with the PDF of the original scan. Even if the OCR is perfect it doesn't handle warped pages, non-standard formatting, footnotes, page numbers…

Edit: May be an actual typo?

ColTim fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 19, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Had a sudden realisation a bit out of nowhere that The Once And Future King has a lot of thematic similarities with Dune. Both have a take on childish fantasy adventure stories with a cynical eye to its structure and melancholy tone, both have terrible prophecy and destiny that leads to war and ruin, and both have the boy-king's coronation presented as a triumph but clearly when his life takes an irrevocable turn for the worse.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Had a sudden realisation a bit out of nowhere that The Once And Future King has a lot of thematic similarities with Dune. Both have a take on childish fantasy adventure stories with a cynical eye to its structure and melancholy tone, both have terrible prophecy and destiny that leads to war and ruin, and both have the boy-king's coronation presented as a triumph but clearly when his life takes an irrevocable turn for the worse.
Yep, there are very good reasons for why people accuse George Lucas of whole-sale yoinking Dune and mixing it with Arthurian legend.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yep, there are very good reasons for why people accuse George Lucas of whole-sale yoinking Dune and mixing it with Arthurian legend.

My bestie described The Wheel of Time series as Bene Gesserit fanfiction with the name filed off. How far off is that assessment.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shoehead posted:

The water of his toes have been returned to the tribe

I must not post. Posting is the thought-killer. I must let my poo poo post through me.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lt_kennedy posted:

My bestie described The Wheel of Time series as Bene Gesserit fanfiction with the name filed off. How far off is that assessment.

it's a good description, but wot isn't on dune's level

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

lt_kennedy posted:

I enjoy that notion quite a bit.

Unfortunately, the last time I read WoT was more than a decade ago, when I was on my last fantasy binge - and those don't come around very often, because part of the issue I have with fantasy is that often the technological regression that is the conceit of a lot of fantasy is often mirrored by a societal regression.

Of course there are exceptions to this with Discworld stands out as being perhaps the biggest and best, and on the other side of the coin is the demonstrable fact that Dune isn't exempt from this either with its feudal system; that's one of the things I don't enjoy about it - but at least it makes up for it in other ways.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, you barely even need to mix it in given the whole premise that the Bene Gesserit actively cultivate messianic prophecies on cultures across the galaxy purely as a means for members to assert grassroots control when necessary.

Star Wars is more, ripping ideas from Dune to add to the melange (ha!) of Golden Age sci-fi aesthetics and elements that it was originally a counterpoint to, combined with samurai cowboy war movie visuals and settings. I think it's the latter, in particular the war movie elements, that give the Star Wars setting its signature lived-in aesthetic where everything is ramshackle greasy metal and/or fresh out the factory at best and built to fight a war, not to look pretty.

Though more the amusing thing in comparing TOAFK and Dune is that the Merlin figure in Dune is also the boy's mother- otherwise doing the same thing; teaching him from his youth both the supernatural and the practical, becoming a loving parental figure but also aware that the boy has to be shaped and directed for a specific role in accordance with plans and prophecy, and ultimately becoming alienated from their boy-king as he ascends to the throne and inevitably perpetuates the cycle of violence, exploitation and oppression, no matter how hard he tries to wield his power for good.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, you barely even need to mix it in given the whole premise that the Bene Gesserit actively cultivate messianic prophecies on cultures across the galaxy purely as a means for members to assert grassroots control when necessary.

Star Wars is more, ripping ideas from Dune to add to the melange (ha!) of Golden Age sci-fi aesthetics and elements that it was originally a counterpoint to, combined with samurai cowboy war movie visuals and settings. I think it's the latter, in particular the war movie elements, that give the Star Wars setting its signature lived-in aesthetic where everything is ramshackle greasy metal and/or fresh out the factory at best and built to fight a war, not to look pretty.

Though more the amusing thing in comparing TOAFK and Dune is that the Merlin figure in Dune is also the boy's mother- otherwise doing the same thing; teaching him from his youth both the supernatural and the practical, becoming a loving parental figure but also aware that the boy has to be shaped and directed for a specific role in accordance with plans and prophecy, and ultimately becoming alienated from their boy-king as he ascends to the throne and inevitably perpetuates the cycle of violence, exploitation and oppression, no matter how hard he tries to wield his power for good.
It's definitely an interesting read on it, I have to give you that.

Question is, how many steps are we from Hero's Journey?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's definitely an interesting read on it, I have to give you that.

Question is, how many steps are we from Hero's Journey?

I mean, more the point is that both stories explicitly riff on the Hero's Journey point for point, with the hero's entire life literally being structured around it to a degree, and make a point that the realistic consequences don't actually end well for almost anyone involved even as the hero becomes the king, marries the princess, and rules the world.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Everyone talks about chairdogs and laza tigers but for some reason the thing that stuck with me reading the series as a kid was the six legged thorses.

Please mix thorses into your list of weird Dune animals in future thanks in advance.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Or futars for that matter. Incredible lack of futar chat itt.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Futars are just "what if cat person" and idk it's neat aesthetically proto furry stuff but i dont go in for that stuff personally and the books only ever hint at their coolness without showing it besides

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
There's rumours going around that Florence Pugh may appear in Du2e.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Spermando posted:

There's rumours going around that Florence Pugh may appear in Du2e.

Irulan?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Feyd

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

A futar, finally

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Wait is she a futar

Xaintrailles