Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

BRB replacing the tie rod ends on my bus and parking it until I can scrape together the $80 for an alignment.

CommieGIR posted:

:stare:

I think I need to go visit my Audis and my Jetta....

To be fair, on the passenger front floorboard of that car are (and were when this failed):
front lower control arm bushings, front and rear positions, plus hardware, all x2
front ball joints x2
front bearing and hub assemblies x2...

I just now ordered both inner tie rods, a new tie rod end for the driver's side, a spiffy tool to tighten the inner rods, and new bellows for both sides with clamps.

To add, this car jumped a curb at speed basically head-on in early December, so it's pretty clearly been set up for a failure; I'm embarrassed to admit I thought it was something wrong with the strut bearing when it popped and clunked a little when turning lock to lock at low speed.

Fake edit: I figured it out, the inner tie rod rotated in its inboard ball joint under the constant fluttering force of the steering knuckle being wobbled back and forth. Once the jam nut wasn't flush against the tie rod end then the rod could rotate, though when new they are loath to do so. That jam nut was a little rusted in place, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

dissss posted:

Or sort of repair it then ship over to New Zealand. Works fro flood damaged cars too.

Is New Zealand Australia's Mexico?

Having to fix dents on a salvage hail damaged car is stupid though.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
You don't have to fix dents on hail damaged cars in western australia. Heaps of people bought hail damaged cars cheap and just drive them around like that in WA.
Problem for me was my ranger was a work/business vehicle which means two things: 1) looks like poo poo for your business 2) You'll never get full insurance and driving a company car around without full insurance is just stupid anyway.

E: NZ is not Aus Mexico with regards to cars. NZ killed off their car industry ages ago, so they can privately import good cars from any country directly, no local car industry protection; no 15, 20 or 25 year old vintage cars only rules like Aus, Can and USA has.
Also, it's not Mex in any sense of the word as everything else is mega expensive there. Lower wages and also higher prices for almost everything, which I never knew until slavvy was asking about slow cookers and pressure cookers years ago. Seriously, less choice plus everything was about 50% more expensive, while wages were lower. There's a reason why so many New Zealanders who don't care about cars immigrate to Aus

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 10, 2016

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
Pretty sure theres rules in place now about importing in regards to emissions. So only newer cars now unless they are older 'special interest' vehicles. But we have alot of sweet JDM goodness here as it is.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nm posted:

Is New Zealand Australia's Mexico?

Having to fix dents on a salvage hail damaged car is stupid though.

NZ is Australia's canada except everyone is poor.

Fo3 posted:

You don't have to fix dents on hail damaged cars in western australia. Heaps of people bought hail damaged cars cheap and just drive them around like that in WA.
Problem for me was my ranger was a work/business vehicle which means two things: 1) looks like poo poo for your business 2) You'll never get full insurance and driving a company car around without full insurance is just stupid anyway.

E: NZ is not Aus Mexico with regards to cars. NZ killed off their car industry ages ago, so they can privately import good cars from any country directly, no local car industry protection; no 15, 20 or 25 year old vintage cars only rules like Aus, Can and USA has.
Also, it's not Mex in any sense of the word as everything else is mega expensive there. Lower wages and also higher prices for almost everything, which I never knew until slavvy was asking about slow cookers and pressure cookers years ago. Seriously, less choice plus everything was about 50% more expensive, while wages were lower. There's a reason why so many New Zealanders who don't care about cars immigrate to Aus

Good memory! It was a slow cooker thought :v: you're bang on point about everything else, though I hear tell that because you guys are choking off your domestic industry you're going to start allowing a broader spectrum of imports and are currently putting the infrastructure in place with assistance from our transport agency.

Echotic posted:

Pretty sure theres rules in place now about importing in regards to emissions. So only newer cars now unless they are older 'special interest' vehicles. But we have alot of sweet JDM goodness here as it is.

There are rules but they're somewhat circumventable depending on your individual inspector, the individual car and other minor voodoo like that. The new rules about stability control are going to stop a lot of stuff getting through though, and if you want to import a diesel you're hosed unless it's older than twenty years. Source: work in an entry compliance dump.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

G-Mach posted:

I had 99 Cobra. It was really fun to rev it out to 7,000 RPMs. I should have tossed a supercharger on it.

My buddy had one with a blower and long tubes with straight pipes. It was the most hilariously evil sounding car I've ever ridden in. You could hear it over 1/4 mile away through suburban housing estates. It also went like greased lightning. That was a really fun car.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So, there not being hail out here, where does one buy these magical perfect hail damaged cars?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So, there not being hail out here, where does one buy these magical perfect hail damaged cars?

Copart, look under "cars that look like swiss cheese and will have bits of glass under the seats and carpets for the rest of your life."

I drive two hail damaged cars right now though, life is good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I'd unironically like it if my WJ got some significant hail damage. Fix the glass, leave the rest, stash the money for mechanical repairs / lift kits and don't feel bad about banging the body off of rocks in the future.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Genius, thanks!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Mostly the midwest.
The grail is hail cars with cracked but not broken glass. Lots of hail cars get caught in downpours right after, so they can have watet issues if they glass actually was broken enough to let water through.

Also, if golf balls tell us anything a hail car should be more aero.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nm posted:

Mostly the midwest.
The grail is hail cars with cracked but not broken glass. Lots of hail cars get caught in downpours right after, so they can have watet issues if they glass actually was broken enough to let water through.

Also, if golf balls tell us anything a hail car should be more aero.

I live in what's called "hail alley"

it's funny to see people asking full retail for hail damaged vehicles knowing they probably got paid out $5-10k to get the hail damage repaired.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I live in what's called "hail alley"

it's funny to see people asking full retail for hail damaged vehicles knowing they probably got paid out $5-10k to get the hail damage repaired.

Or the dealership "hail sales" where they got paid well in excess of the haircut.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Numbnuts I'm working with broke a #6-32 HSS tap off in the flange of a 540 horsepower motor. I had to spend 30 mins getting it out.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I bought my hail damaged Saabaru from one of those dealer/auction locations. Through some research, I was actually able to locate and contact the original owner through various Saab/WRX channels and found out he had traded it in to a local dealer who then in turn sold it to the auction.

My damage was pretty bad, hood, all quarter panels, roof, etc. My friends nicknamed my car the "Sweedish Golfball"

Ended up selling it to a buddy a few years ago. Said buddy ended up waffling a deer a few months later totaling it. :(

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

iForge posted:

Numbnuts I'm working with broke a #6-32 HSS tap off in the flange of a 540 horsepower motor. I had to spend 30 mins getting it out.

Believe it or not, 6-32 is actually easier to break than a 5-40 tap. The thread/pitch ratio leads to greater stress risers. Whenever possible use a size up or size down.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 12, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

um excuse me posted:

Believe it or not, 6-32 is actually easier to break than a 5-40 tap. The thread/pitch ratio leads to greater stress risers. Whenever possible use a size up or size down.

Yup, my machinist has asked me to avoid using 6-32 in deep stainless holes.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

sharkytm posted:

Yup, my machinist has asked me to avoid using 6-32 in deep stainless holes.

You're on a first name basis with the guy who does your broken stud extractor extracting?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Yeah I don't spec the materials, I just install what the manufacturer sends me. Shouldn't have even been my burden but the idiot was talking about trying to drill it out so I stepped in.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IPCRESS posted:

You're on a first name basis with the guy who does your broken stud extractor extracting?
I don't use stud extractors on stainless.

I have a single machine shop that makes all my parts. We're on more than a first name basis. He's been overseeing all the parts for the cameras I build (and oversaw the product line previously) for like thirty years.

The oceanographic industry is small. Very small. Of course, there's a group of engineers who love to do deep 6-32 threads in titanium. Same difficulty in machining, but the cost of a wasted part is close to 4x. Bastards!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IPCRESS posted:

I am too. Then again I work with him, and he does whatever I need for basically free.

Just buy him dinner on duty days :v:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

IPCRESS posted:

More than a first name basis :wink:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Half the time he's the stud that needs extraction.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Look guys, if you want to remove a stud all you have to do is go to the grocery store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZYgReuywM

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Look guys, if you want to remove a stud all you have to do is go to the grocery store.

:canada:

gently caress, how did I not know about this?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

I just learned so many new words.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Holy poo poo, can we get this post stickied or something

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
He chooched the gently caress out of that bolt!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Holy. loving. poo poo.

I'm not sure which is better, the method, or the narration.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Holy poo poo, can we get this post stickied or something

drat, that's awesome. Holy chemical reaction, Batman. I'm sure someone will come by in a few posts and break it down for us non-scientifically inclined types. I will have to remember this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also demonstrates how hockey tape is perfect for temporary hack jobs.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I've only seen two of his videos that you guys have linked but that is one funny mother fucker.

"good enough for the girls I go out with" is my new favorite phrase.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What is the huge bag of white stuff? I legit have no idea wtf he said it was because of his accent.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Slavvy posted:

What is the huge bag of white stuff? I legit have no idea wtf he said it was because of his accent.

Alum

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Geez, look at all these people who don't already know to keep your dick in a vice.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

AvE's loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5LWcTVeWR8

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
When I retire, I think I'm going to become a gentleman alum farmer.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've been mainlining AvE for a few months now, even patreoned him for a bit. He's super entertaining as well as really informative. And I like that he shows the whole process and all the fuckups too.

I've caught myself saying saying skookum in real life more than once.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

bolind posted:

I've been mainlining AvE for a few months now, even patreoned him for a bit. He's super entertaining as well as really informative. And I like that he shows the whole process and all the fuckups too.

I've caught myself saying saying skookum in real life more than once.

I'm a Patreon supporter of his as well. I get more laughs from his videos than when I paid for cable TV. He's the modern YouTube equivalent of Red Green. Even has an ending catchphrase similar to "if women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." I bet the Red Green show was an inspiration for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Keep your dick in a vice" is a direct reference to Red Green's "keep your stick on the ice". So yeah, he was definitely raised on The Red Green Show :)

I just love AvE's videos, they're properly entertaining and don't feel dumbed down. There's room for a bit of cussin' and messing around, and it feels like hanging out with your slightly crazy, but highly creative handyman type friend in his garage.

"You may need your wife to hold in your hernia for this one, son of a diddly" :allears:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 14, 2016