Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blk posted:

Christ, it's so bad.

"We have these character lines, see, and...well....they're really short and random and don't go anywhere"

the worst part is there's no give in creases. somebody doors your car normally, the pannel bends and bends back. They hit right on a "character line" and there's a big loving dent that reflects the light in all sorts of stupid ways and shines like a god drat diamond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So people are saying all cars look the same these days? No idea what they're on about, never seen that little window thing before of that little line that kicks up off the rear door before in my loving life.

Is there a 'car design cue' magazine that comes out every year that designers get delivered to their desks or something? "20 hot new ideas for you new boring shitmobile to make it stand out"

The BMW gets points for at least playing with the bodyline a bit more than the others.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 14, 2015

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

toyota co new styling iinspiration: anime hair

What the hell is that? A new Camry?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And yet, this is still probably the best angle for this POS.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

88h88 posted:

"20 hot new ideas for you new boring shitmobile to make it stand out"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LionArcher posted:

What the hell is that? A new Camry?

It doesn't look like a sedan to me. GRIS says Lexus RX.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I can't get over how fat that thing looks. It looks like a joke car.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

On this page: People almost realising why the new Prius is Cool and Good.

Powershift posted:

so if they have super secret specs from ford, the GT is going to be amazing, and the raptor could end up being a turd.

The Raptor has always been a turd sold to oil field workers as a pre-bro'd brotruck. Anyone who actually gives a poo poo about going offroad has always been better served by a Tacoma or JKU that even after mods costs substantially less and isn't a weak-framed fatass F-150.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Here you can see the driver texting someone about how awful and bulbous this new nissan turd is. Either that or he's crying deeply.

Wheeee posted:

The Raptor has always been a turd sold to oil field workers as a pre-bro'd brotruck. Anyone who actually gives a poo poo about going offroad has always been better served by a Tacoma or JKU that even after mods costs substantially less and isn't a weak-framed fatass F-150.

This is also very much the truth.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well no one has said anything about offroading except you? Powershift was just commenting on the acceleration from a stop, as it is well know that the only legitimate use for a pickup truck is drag racing.

Because what you really need offroad is a high hp high strung small displacement turbo engine. The 10 speed transmission should help the 0-60 times a bit though. Maybe they'll do what VW has done with the Anorak and eliminate low range. because the transmission already has 10 gears?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Oh I forgot, if you care about offroading and want a giant brotruck the Powerwagon also dumps on the Raptor.

I've recently relocated to a much denser region with more urban driving and much better roads which is making me start eyeing up the Fit and the Golf however, so maybe I'm not the best informed source of opinions on which hilariously overpriced and useless compensation truck is more desirable.

It's the Escalade

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Well no one has said anything about offroading except you? Powershift was just commenting on the acceleration from a stop, as it is well know that the only legitimate use for a pickup truck is drag racing.

Because what you really need offroad is a high hp high strung small displacement turbo engine. The 10 speed transmission should help the 0-60 times a bit though. Maybe they'll do what VW has done with the Anorak and eliminate low range. because the transmission already has 10 gears?

I was commenting on the performance model lacking performance. power and weight determine more than acceleration from a stop.

The 10 speed will probably hurt the 0-60 because most modern fords are programmed to dump power while shifting to save the transmission. With a worse power/weight ratio than the average f-150, that 10 speed is just going to be popping up and down the range trying to keep the truck moving with as little effort as possible. The 10 speed is all about fuel economy.

besides, if you bought a 94 civic for $3000, you'd have $57,000 to turn it into an offroading machine that would crush the raptor for the same price.

The power wagon is dumb because it's a gas 3/4 ton. It can go offroad, but you better hope there's a gas station out there.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Powershift posted:

the worst part is there's no give in creases. somebody doors your car normally, the pannel bends and bends back. They hit right on a "character line" and there's a big loving dent that reflects the light in all sorts of stupid ways and shines like a god drat diamond.

Those same creases strengthen the body panel and make it less likely that the shopping cart or whatever damages the sheet metal.

Or it allows the manufacturer to make the panel with less metal to save money and weight.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Funny, there was a Power Wagon at the grocery store last night and I took a pic because I thought it was so ridiculous:

I had thought it was some stupid custom job that was like the "Pussy Wagon" from Kill Bill but (slightly) more tasteful. :haw:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Power Wagon is something I expect a kid's toy to be named.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I like that "lighter" and "more powerful" makes the new raptor a turd. What is wrong with you?

Of course, maybe I'm the idiot, because I actually think the new RX looks pretty great, other than that overhang. Much better than the normal boring CUVs out there. Of course, I like oddball cars, which is why we bought a flex instead of an explorer when we needed three rows.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

eyebeem posted:

I like that "lighter" and "more powerful" makes the new raptor a turd. What is wrong with you?

Of course, maybe I'm the idiot, because I actually think the new RX looks pretty great, other than that overhang. Much better than the normal boring CUVs out there. Of course, I like oddball cars, which is why we bought a flex instead of an explorer when we needed three rows.

it's all relative. when the winks and nudges and numbers from the rest of the line suggested 500hp and 5300lbs, 450hp and 5700lbs is a disappointment.

The company that built the supra and soarer is now building the RX.

Just like when a company has built the S15 and R34 skyline, the new maxima is a disappointment. They are even now suggesting the Z-car replacement is going to be a crossover.

It would be cool if it was a rally-fighter type deal, but the back end shrouded in darkness suggests it might have too many doors. one of the other teasers shows a prndl and a 6500rpm redline which screams fun.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powershift posted:

it's all relative. when the winks and nudges and numbers from the rest of the line suggested 500hp and 5300lbs, 450hp and 5700lbs is a disappointment.

The company that built the supra and soarer is now building the RX.

Just like when a company has built the S15 and R34 skyline, the new maxima is a disappointment. They are even now suggesting the Z-car replacement is going to be a crossover.

It would be cool if it was a rally-fighter type deal, but the back end shrouded in darkness suggests it might have too many doors. one of the other teasers shows a prndl and a 6500rpm redline which screams fun.

It's still a real improvement over the old model, and it looks better in my opinion, to boot. I can't find much to complain about when it should be faster, more fuel efficient, and likely more capable.

The company that built the supra and soarer also made the corolla and the sc430. Why are you comparing those cars to their new crossover? Maybe that point makes sense if you're bitching about the FRS or rc-f, is-f being the sportiest things in their stable, which is a legitimate complaint. The rx isn't related to that market.

The new z will be a disappointment if it is worse than the old z. That's a valid point. The old raptor was, like it or not, a well reviewed success of a vehicle, and if the new one is faster and lighter, I don't see how that makes it a "turd." A disappointment if you were expecting it to outrun a 458 Italia, I suppose.

Also, I'm not completely insane. The new Maxima looks like something from a cartoon. In a bad way.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Wheeee posted:

I'm not exaggerating when I say that probably 75% of the Raptors I see on the road are festooned with all sorts of retarded oil field trash stickers

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The only reason to buy a raptor is because someone paid you to buy it and export it out of country for them

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Nodoze posted:

The only reason to buy a raptor is because someone paid you to buy it and export it out of country for them

Piffle, it ain't shitbox Ford trucks that have a war named after them.

No self-respecting warlord would ever buy American.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wheeee posted:

Piffle, it ain't shitbox Ford trucks that have a war named after them.

No self-respecting warlord would ever buy American.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I like how even the violent fundamentalist militant driving that F-250 doesn't have the tow mirrors extended like a douchebag.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

88h88 posted:

Power Wagon is something I expect a kid's toy to be named.

It's not a real Power Wagon unless it says "Dodge" :colbert:

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Camaro performances numbers are out:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/14/2016-chevy-camaro-performance-figures/#slide-3619751

0-60 in 4.0 seconds with an SS1 AT.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

it's awesome that they're still adding power, and not just coasting by on the weight savings.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

it's awesome that they're still adding power, and not just coasting by on the weight savings.

"gently caress it, let's see how far we can go before they bring the hammer down on us"

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Powershift posted:

yeah its nice. But you're still stuck driving a pillbox camaro.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I want to sit in one of the new ones to see how the new interior stacks up.

The comments from the press test day make it sound like the interior is a lot better, but outward visibility is still horrendous.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ilkhan posted:

yeah its nice. But you're still stuck driving a pillbox camaro.

Even the 2.0T is getting to 60mph in 5.5 seconds. Why can't we have an engine like that in something with more visibility like... a Miata. Which already does 0-60 in 5.6 or something doesn't it? Imagine how much faster it could be.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

davebo posted:

Even the 2.0T is getting to 60mph in 5.5 seconds. Why can't we have an engine like that in something with more visibility like... a Miata. Which already does 0-60 in 5.6 or something doesn't it? Imagine how much faster it could be.

Just get the Camaro convertible then

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

davebo posted:

According to FR-S/BRZ drivers, because it would ruin the purity and balance and blah blah blah.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

PT6A posted:

According to FR-S/BRZ drivers, because it would ruin the purity and balance and blah blah blah.

I would actually consider buying a used FRS/BRZ if there was a V8 swap kit for it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
TODAY IS YOUR LUCKY DAY!

http://shop.weaponsgradeperformance.com/products/wgp-brz06-frs-brz-ls-swap-kit

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

No, for the miata drivers it's "purity and balance". For the FRS/BRZ drivers it's "because 200hp is enough, almost too much"

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

8 grand and they can't even be bothered paint the brackets? Maybe I'll wait 15 years, just before they get cheap enough for the drift car scene to ruin them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

8 grand and they can't even be bothered paint the brackets? Maybe I'll wait 15 years, just before they get cheap enough for the drift car scene to ruin them.

I can't imagine a FRS's third owner bothering to change spark plugs at 100k miles.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Powershift posted:

I can't imagine a FRS's third owner bothering to change spark plugs at 100k miles.

The gently caress do I care? I'm just going to dump the engine and drop in an LS3 anyways.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
At that point why not just buy a used corvette, it'll probably cost the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mange Mite posted:

At that point why not just buy a used corvette, it'll probably cost the same

You get more than a value proposition when you buy a Corvette, you also buy into the 'culture' and you can't escape. Some people don't want that.