Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Daylight savings time has never bothered ours, every year i am shocked at how well he rolls with it. Hope i didn't just jinx us, but ymmv

We might not be the best sample group because our whole family is up by 5:30am every day (except for baby who sleeps until 7) but :shrug:

Man, I'm such an early riser but I just can't do it yet. I used to get up at 5 or 530 and get poo poo done in the morning (and have a little me time for shows and games) but haven't been able to go back to that yet with a 4 month old. I even tried setting my alarm last week but just didn't have the will to get up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
We went to the aquarium today. There’s a long parking lot, with the aquarium at one end and a playground at the other. I parked at the end of the lot by the playground. When we were walking back to the car from the playground, my daughter bolted across the parking lot all the way to the end while l was putting a screaming baby in his car seat. She face planted on the sidewalk in front of the aquarium doors while I was still dealing with the baby, and then she started screaming. People were looking around like WHERE IS THIS GIRL'S MOTHER, and as I was scrambling across the parking lot the baby was screaming at the top of his lungs, and there were people looking at the car like WHY ARE YOU LEAVING YOUR SCREAMING BABY! So then I'm carrying a screaming toddler across the entire parking lot towards the car with the screaming baby, and a few people literally stopped in their tracks to watch me. Rude. Both kids are fine, toddler just startled herself and the baby called down the second the car started moving.

So yeah, public melt downs happen to everyone.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Our soon to be 2yo (oh god they grow up so fast) had his first full day at montessori today and lemme tell you i have not had as productive a day in a while.

He's currently in his crib twerking at the monitor in between coughing fits. Not looking forward to DST either.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have to say, I have about $100 investment in off brand wooden brio-compatible train track, $25 worth of investment in off brand brio compatible train engine/cars and it gets used easily 1-2 hours a day by either my 3 year old nephew as trains, or my 1 year old just throwing it everywhere making a huge mess

Bonus: unlike duplo in the middle of the night, when you stop on a train track, you don't scream in pain

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I was considering Brio, but balked at the cost and ordered an IKEA trainset for Chrismtas instead. I hope it’s a success.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

My kid has hundreds of dollars worth of ikea and brio tracks that he's accumulated over the years but now he barely plays with them. I think it might be because we put them in a toybox so he doesn't actually see the tracks unless he opens it.

Also I love that both of my kids manage to be assholes in their own special way. My daughter just turned 1 a few months ago and has a few words now. These words are: chicken, cheese, book, bluey and uh oh. No is showing up a bit but I'm not sure if she's using it as a word or just saying it randomly. You might notice the distinct lack of mama and dada, both words she can pronounce but doesn't use. Obviously she has her priorities.

My son is also usually well behaved (for a 5yo) but a few nights ago he hopped out of bed, stole some pens from the office (where he's not allowed to go) and drew in his elephant and piggie book. He then decided he wanted more pens but it was too dark in the office so he went into our bedroom looking for us, waking up the baby then finally going downstairs and asked us to turn on the office lights. The baby was then super grumpy and wakeful for the rest of the night.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
This is probably the happiest I’ll ever be that one of the boys projectile vomited all over the kitchen tile floor considering that he was in my car not two minutes prior from picking him up from school.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
My nephew was into Thomas and friends so I got some hand me downs from my sister a while back. The problem with that stuff is there are several types of incompatible tracks so I told her I only wanted one. Take n Play I think is what we have, which was discontinued or redesigned a while back, so I picked up some used expansion pieces for :10bux: on eBay. That should get us through to when yes old enough to play with all my Lego trains tracks.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Welp, my nearly 10-year-old is no longer off the height charts, but at 98th centile and 5ft tall she is a fraction taller than I was at her age, and I was always considered giant as a kid (at 10 years old this other boy and I towered over everyone else in our year). She's really slim though, unlike me at that age.

She's going to have similar challenges to her mum in finding a boyfriend at least her height (I'm 6ft and my wife is 5'10). My wife (who is a doc and knows more about this poo poo than me) thinks she has a good chance of hitting 6ft, especially as she has minimal signs of starting puberty so far. Wonder if my son (7) will ever catch her up!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Why does she need to find a partner that's at least her height?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Many men are insecure about a lot of things.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Nothing to do with men being insecure - many (most? Seems that way, though I have no hard data) women find it unattractive if their man is shorter than them. My wife included.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

davebo posted:

My nephew was into Thomas and friends so I got some hand me downs from my sister a while back. The problem with that stuff is there are several types of incompatible tracks so I told her I only wanted one. Take n Play I think is what we have, which was discontinued or redesigned a while back, so I picked up some used expansion pieces for :10bux: on eBay. That should get us through to when yes old enough to play with all my Lego trains tracks.

There are some different converter pieces that can connect a lot of the different types of tracks. Maybe not all, but a few of those let us join the plastic, wooden, and mini tracks. Drastically opened up the combination possibilities with our stuff.

There's also a really cool set at a good price at Costco right now. We got the one from there last year and it was fantastic.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

devmd01 posted:

Many men are insecure about a lot of things.

Ah. Yes.
It's really that simple isn't it.

Well the good news is, if she ends up really tall and there are a lot of dudes that are bothered by it, she won't have to deal with any of those people/men who are apparently fragile enough in their self image and self confidence to not be able to handle their partner being taller than them. Sounds like a lot of bullets dodged imo.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
When I was 9 years old I was 5’2” and got my period and was waaaay ahead of everyone else at school in terms of puberty. I liked being taller than everyone else but when I got my period I had no idea what was going on with my body, I thought I was pooping myself.

If you haven’t had the puberty talk, now is the time.

Also I ended up being 5’6” so there’s that.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
A shame we had to leap to blaming men when the issue, as I said, is that a lot of women don't like to date men shorter than them. That was the angle I was coming from, based on what I have heard and read women say, and indeed my what my wife has said. Which is fine - people are allowed to be attracted to whatever they are attracted to.

Equally, while I am sure there are men who would not want to date a woman taller than them for insecurity reasons, they might also just not find it attractive. I don't, or rather I don't find tallness itself attractive, relative to me or not. Whether taller than me would be a deal breaker I couldn't say. I like petite women, and my wife is pretty tall, but I love her and wouldn't swap her for any other woman.

I think a possibly greater indicator of insecurity is not wanting to date someone as smart or smarter than you. And yeah, I do for sure know guys like that, and this is also very much something that could affect my daughter - I could definitely see some men being intimidated by her on that front.

Koivunen posted:

When I was 9 years old I was 5’2” and got my period and was waaaay ahead of everyone else at school in terms of puberty. I liked being taller than everyone else but when I got my period I had no idea what was going on with my body, I thought I was pooping myself.

If you haven’t had the puberty talk, now is the time.

Also I ended up being 5’6” so there’s that.

According to my wife later puberty means she would be more likely to grow taller, as puberty will determine when she stops growing. Interesting that you only grew a few more inches after 9, though!

Yeah, she's had the talk and a couple of books. Safe to say she's prepared for it, and indeed looking forward to it.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 2, 2021

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

sheri posted:

Ah. Yes.
It's really that simple isn't it.

Well the good news is, if she ends up really tall and there are a lot of dudes that are bothered by it, she won't have to deal with any of those people/men who are apparently fragile enough in their self image and self confidence to not be able to handle their partner being taller than them. Sounds like a lot of bullets dodged imo.

I'll try to be gentle here, speaking as a man who's 5'6" tall: Women can filter online dating profiles to not show them men under a certain height. Most of them do. Do you feel like I dodged a bullet by not having to date insecure women who can't handle being with a short dude? I sure don't, I feel more like my privilege was reduced by being short. Women who filter out the short guys aren't necessarily insecure, they're probably just being honest about what they feel attracted to. I get it, even though I don't like it.

Online dating is a... humbling experience for short men. Try to have a little more empathy. That might be your son someday.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The baby has her 1 year appointment at 9am tomorrow. She’s been waking up around 8:30 lately, so I hope I can get her up and fed in time to leave.

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

I'll try to be gentle here, speaking as a man who's 5'6" tall: Women can filter online dating profiles to not show them men under a certain height. Most of them do. Do you feel like I dodged a bullet by not having to date insecure women who can't handle being with a short dude? I sure don't, I feel more like my privilege was reduced by being short. Women who filter out the short guys aren't necessarily insecure, they're probably just being honest about what they feel attracted to. I get it, even though I don't like it.

Online dating is a... humbling experience for short men. Try to have a little more empathy. That might be your son someday.

I absolutely think women who would use those filters are insecure. I once knew a girl who only wanted to date guys taller than her, but then she ended up dating a guy a few inches shorter than her and realized it was fine. If anyone doesn’t want to date you because of your height, you’re better off without them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Nessa posted:

I absolutely think women who would use those filters are insecure. I once knew a girl who only wanted to date guys taller than her, but then she ended up dating a guy a few inches shorter than her and realized it was fine. If anyone doesn’t want to date you because of your height, you’re better off without them.
Except that in the same paragraph you JUST gave an example of a woman who didn't want to date short guys but suddenly realized it was fine once she did, so he may very well not be better off without them. He could be the one who makes someone realize it's fine and they fall in love.

Anyway I'm 6'1" so my only problem was the women who filtered out guys who didn't make six figures, but I married a woman who made six figures instead and that's why I'm the one elbow deep in lovely diapers five days a week.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
There are definitely days with my IT job where it wouldn’t be so bad to be the house husband. Why won’t my wife take actuary exams and make bank instead of being a teacher that loves what she does. :argh:

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Nessa posted:

I absolutely think women who would use those filters are insecure.(...) If anyone doesn’t want to date you because of your height, you’re better off without them.

Agree.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’m glad there are snooty ladies out there that won’t date short guys, otherwise my amazing husband who is 5’8 would have been snapped up a lot earlier!

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
In high school one girl I dated was the girls basketball team star center, she was above six feet but I was about a half inch taller than her which she said was nice. She went on to play in college and dated someone on the men’s basketball team who was 6’8” and it must have been fun to finally be able to wear heels and still be shorter.

People have lots of reasons being attracted to people, they don’t all make sense, they’re not really fair. It’s a little reductive to pinpoint one gender or one quality as the whole problem. I do think tall women can have trouble finding clothes and can also have body image.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My husband and I are basically the same height and its great. I'm 1cm taller than him but its not noticeable, and can't say either of us care when I wear high heels. I can't even work out the metres to feet conversion because the internet says anything between 5'7 and 5'9, but I'm considered tall for a girl at 175cm but I wouldn't say he was short for a guy at 174cm?

I dated a guy who was apparently 6'3 in high school and remember trying to kiss him was a real pain standing up because I'd literally lose my balance at such a sharp angle. Height never actually informed my dating decisions but being the same height and basically same frame has worked out well for us (and means we can wear each others outdoor gear when we need to!)

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Sorry to spark this derail guys. I simply wanted to say that my daughter is fecking tall. Also I love her. :downs:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

davebo posted:

Except that in the same paragraph you JUST gave an example of a woman who didn't want to date short guys but suddenly realized it was fine once she did, so he may very well not be better off without them. He could be the one who makes someone realize it's fine and they fall in love.

Anyway I'm 6'1" so my only problem was the women who filtered out guys who didn't make six figures, but I married a woman who made six figures instead and that's why I'm the one elbow deep in lovely diapers five days a week.

Well, in that particular example, she said as much that if her boyfriend was not someone she had known and been friends with for a couple of years, she never would have given him a chance, romantically. I also don’t speak to this person anymore as she had quite a few issues of her own. She once sent lengthy hurtful messages to all of her former friends. She also made fun of people who used big words she didn’t know and would try to knock you down a peg if you made an intellectual joke. “Normal people don’t know who that Watson is a Sherlock Holmes character, so it isn’t funny.”

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Sorry to spark this derail guys. I simply wanted to say that my daughter is fecking tall. Also I love her. :downs:

Oh of course! If she’s interested in sports, she’ll probably excel at them!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Fuuuuck not another fever.

Welp, she's sweaty as hell in bed right now. Splitting kid duty tomorrow between the two of us, hoping this one tides over quickly.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Nessa posted:

Well, in that particular example, she said as much that if her boyfriend was not someone she had known and been friends with for a couple of years, she never would have given him a chance, romantically. I also don’t speak to this person anymore as she had quite a few issues of her own. She once sent lengthy hurtful messages to all of her former friends. She also made fun of people who used big words she didn’t know and would try to knock you down a peg if you made an intellectual joke. “Normal people don’t know who that Watson is a Sherlock Holmes character, so it isn’t funny.”

Oh of course! If she’s interested in sports, she’ll probably excel at them!

Funnily enough, she scored 3 goals in her school netball match today and got player of the game! She's not historically been above-averagely sporty, but it's all generally ramping up sports-wise at her school and she joined a netball club outside of school last year, so we'll see.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Tortilla Maker posted:

Anyone have experience with EC and transitioning an 8-12 month old to a general daycare?

I'm concerned that the care attendants will expect the baby to just soil themselves (as in, I doubt they have training in EC).

I guess my question is, for anyone practicing EC who had to transition to daycare, was their significant regression in your child's potty training?

Quoting myself to say that the transition to daycare wasn't as challenging as I had expected (though we didn't put him in at the age I initially contemplated in my earlier post).

The daycare program has a good spread of kids in terms of age, so most of the older kids are potty trained. This means staff have been attentive to kids' potty needs.

Sorry to see so many posts recently about potty training woes. If you have a very young child (or are expecting), I cant stress how amazing Elimination Communication has been. We started potty training at about 4 weeks old and our (now 22-month-old) toddler only poops himself once every month or two.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Any general advice for weaning an almost 2 year old? I started trying to cut down yesterday and my plan to only nurse him once after dinner turned into four times. So this is looking like it'll be a total nightmare.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Having to come up with on the spot Moomin fanfiction stories with potential crossovers several times per day is becoming a bit of a chore. Especially if the plot details have to be to spec.

Does this phase pass?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

a podcast for cats posted:

Having to come up with on the spot Moomin fanfiction stories with potential crossovers several times per day is becoming a bit of a chore. Especially if the plot details have to be to spec.

Does this phase pass?

Just start ripping off movies or TV show arcs you can recall. Simpsons episodes!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I plan to retell all the stories of my D&D campaign that just ended.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
12 years later, the child thinks to themselves: "why does the plot of Age of Ultron seem so drat familiar"

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
OK, recommendations for infrared ear thermometers?

Getting real tired of this rectal one. The kid is really nice about it, she just whines, and the thermometer we got is fast and precise, but it feels really lovely to put her through that when I have the money for an ear one.

Edit: I am reading that ear thermometers won't work for little kids due to their small ear canal. How about at three years old? Well, OK, let's consider forehead ones, too.

Edit 2:
Look at these fuckers using an ear thermometer on a baby, they must not know anything about babies or something.
https://www.amazon.com/Elepho-Therm...ef_=as_li_ss_tl

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 3, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have the brand name infrared forehead thermometer and, for us, is dead accurate

Other people seem to have really bad luck with them. Get ready to hear a lot of people swear them off

The one we bought beeps when it goes over a large vein and gets a good reading. We swipe in one motion from temple to temple and then dab behind the ear, works great

pizzapocketparty
Nov 27, 2005
CHOMP

sharkytm posted:

Thread temperature on Janet Lansbury/RIE parenting?

She was recommended to my wife by a close friend and fellow mother. A lot of what she has to say is certainly interesting and very different than how I was raised. Some of it seems... I dunno, over the top? "Don't do anything without telling them you're going to do it" starting from birth seems like it's coming from a place where parents have unlimited time and resources.

Don't know much about Lansbury but we've done RIE stuff for our 4 year old and do it with our new baby. Seems to be good, although a lot of it seemed to be my "innate" parenting style anyway. Letting them figure out stuff for themselves, trying to teach independence, etc..

As far as the "telling them" rule, I think of it as "sportscasting" what I'm doing. I think it helps foster a connection, maybe will help their language skills, etc.., who knows.

However it's just a set of ideas, not a religion although some parenting groups treat it like one. You can break any rules or suggestions to your liking.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
Sportscasting is a great way of putting it. Narrating actions and just sort of talking through what is happening is very beneficial from a language and emotional standpoint.

My 3 year old was recently diagnosed with level 1 autism and a speech delay and his entire care team (speech, occupational, and aba) really encourage family members narrate fuckin everything they can outside of sessions.

"Oh, youre driving the car on table. You're driving the red car. Oh no, the red car crashed. What are you going to do? You picked up the red car with your hand! Yay! The red car is on the table again!"

It ain't gotta be that hardcore, but it is a great habit to get into while they're little. Our son's speech has really exploded from the combination of narration and sign.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

OK, recommendations for infrared ear thermometers?
The Braun Thermos an 5 is pretty common and works well enough for "fever" vs. "not fever". I don't know if it's totally accurate but it's been good enough for our needs. Works fine on infants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

pizzapocketparty posted:

Don't know much about Lansbury but we've done RIE stuff for our 4 year old and do it with our new baby. Seems to be good, although a lot of it seemed to be my "innate" parenting style anyway. Letting them figure out stuff for themselves, trying to teach independence, etc..

As far as the "telling them" rule, I think of it as "sportscasting" what I'm doing. I think it helps foster a connection, maybe will help their language skills, etc.., who knows.

However it's just a set of ideas, not a religion although some parenting groups treat it like one. You can break any rules or suggestions to your liking.

Cool. That's how we're going play it. I don't want to be a helicopter parent and we've had decent luck with our almost-4-month-old when we narrate stuff and ask permission to do stuff "I'm going to pick you up, ok?" Or "I'm going to take your shirt off, ok?" And then "one arm" (get arm out of shirt) "other arm" (get other arm out). A lot of it makes sense to me, and I think that starting young is basically training you as much as it trains them. Once they get older, you'll be used to the narration and asking for compliance, and they'll hopefully be used to giving consent and being treated like their opinions matter. I really like the idea that they need to self-direct most of their play, which gives them (and us) some freedom.

My problem is that almost every online group treats it like a loving cult, especially with other caregivers. One of the recent posts basically blamed a child almost falling down some stairs on the dreaded "substitute caregiver" who must have held the kid's hand going down some steps one loving time... I don't buy it.

1up posted:

Sportscasting is a great way of putting it. Narrating actions and just sort of talking through what is happening is very beneficial from a language and emotional standpoint.

My 3 year old was recently diagnosed with level 1 autism and a speech delay and his entire care team (speech, occupational, and aba) really encourage family members narrate fuckin everything they can outside of sessions.

"Oh, youre driving the car on table. You're driving the red car. Oh no, the red car crashed. What are you going to do? You picked up the red car with your hand! Yay! The red car is on the table again!"

It ain't gotta be that hardcore, but it is a great habit to get into while they're little. Our son's speech has really exploded from the combination of narration and sign.
Cool. That's kinda what we do already. Hopefully it keeps helping your little one, and good luck!