Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This is 2 instances of cardinal playing midi into reaper.
Drums are just the polygene module playing some kontakt drums The synth is polygene into a Turing machine module into a free synth vst.

I just let it play and hit record.

https://soundcloud.com/thumposaurus...-ltr-more-recos

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

for fucks sake posted:

I'm using Bitwig too, but I wanted something where multiple drum parts could play without playing over one another, so I used the note grid.

https://i.imgur.com/Z0704pW.mp4

:chanpop:

You guys are pulling that off, and I'm like "I've got 9 modules doing a generative thing with reverb and delay! Woooooo!"

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

a mysterious cloak posted:

You guys are pulling that off, and I'm like "I've got 9 modules doing a generative thing with reverb and delay! Woooooo!"

TBH I'd be more inclined to listen to modules with the 2 basic FX sends over sounds made in software. Make what sounds good to you!

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odX4yVa8vXk

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 24, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
LOL

I guess TE can't source new audio ports anymore either

B&H is just refunding me $1300 on a OP-1 with a slightly fucky audio port. I am just taking it as store credit and applying it to a new OP-1, which is now $100 more than it was when I bought it in 2021. Not going up $700 for a field.

If I was smart I'd start an indiegogo making controller boards compatible with the OP-1, it seems like fundamentally bad design.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A worse design than the OP-Z warping to the point the encoders can't stay in? :v:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

xzzy posted:

A worse design than the OP-Z warping to the point the encoders can't stay in? :v:

at this point I am also thinking "huh $1280 in B&H credit would buy several eurorack modules on top of that silly skulpt polysynth I want"

i just cut out my coffin to have an OP-1 in it though so I think I will stick with it, if I start buying eurorack poo poo that $1280 credit will turn into -2800 on a credit card :laugh:

OP-1 field is only tempting from the perspective of, "well this is the new one so it might be supported longer". gently caress that. My primary recording mechanism is a Teac tapedeck from 1990.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
You should just get a m8, dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgrU26LACSA

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No I need people to stop buying m8's so I can get on the waiting list for one.

You can't even order them right now due to chip shortages. Current best estimate for new purchases is November.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

You should just get a m8, dog.
haha, well there's another thing I want now

in the mean time I did indeed get another OP-1. I can have that on Tuesday, vs "sometime in fall maybe" for that one. I did not pay the extra $600 tax to upgrade to a Field, I may regret that when my audio port breaks again in 2 years and these are totally unsupported :allears:

also I want to build a LMN-3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5UmPTttN1s -- looks awesome, my math is the parts for build are around $300. If anyone wants to take this on as a group project that might further inspire me

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 24, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

LOL

I guess TE can't source new audio ports anymore either

B&H is just refunding me $1300 on a OP-1 with a slightly fucky audio port. I am just taking it as store credit and applying it to a new OP-1, which is now $100 more than it was when I bought it in 2021. Not going up $700 for a field.

If I was smart I'd start an indiegogo making controller boards compatible with the OP-1, it seems like fundamentally bad design.

there are so many better things to get with that money than an OP-1

you could buy like six squier telecasters with $1300 and it would be a better use of money

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The OP-1 sucks and is a terrible gimmick. I will fight you on this.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i don’t mind the op-1 but i hate TE with a burning passion

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

People really love to voice their opinions about products that don’t interest them, why don’t you just not buy it and be happy with your decision? What is it about this company that triggers people so much?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, echo chamber only in these parts please! Differing opinions are BANNED.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

a mysterious cloak posted:

always continue patching until the grid looks like a super metroid level map

also I want to build a LMN-3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5UmPTttN1s -- looks awesome, my math is the parts for build are around $300. If anyone wants to take this on as a group project that might further inspire me

not only is it called LMN because of LMNOP, it’s also “el em en tary”

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
im actually trying to sell my OP1 and its a goddamn nightmare right now. I’m even pricing it under a grand with the TE case and im getting offered 400$

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Matt Zerella posted:

im actually trying to sell my OP1 and its a goddamn nightmare right now. I’m even pricing it under a grand with the TE case and im getting offered 400$

I sold mine on here last week for 850.

I love my OP-1 Field because it’s exactly what I want on the road with me and I enjoy using it enough to actually play it.

Prolly gonna get an M8 eventually too. World sucks too much to not like the few things I can.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

inferis posted:

People really love to voice their opinions about products that don’t interest them, why don’t you just not buy it and be happy with your decision? What is it about this company that triggers people so much?

the $1200 6 channel mixer might be a good place to start thinking about what it might be about te's design and marketing strategy that people find offensive. their clothing line would be a good second thing to consider

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Op 1 is cool, I would love a used one if anyone decides to sell… unfortunately I’m low on cash right now after moving

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I got my OP-1 new for $1121; to a certain extent I feel like I bought it because it was more a thing that I wanted a decade ago, when I was nothing but a broke college student; thus buying it was more a sign that "hey, I have money, I finally made it." Honestly, I've had more fun with just the pleasure of playing it, rather than recording a track with it; I do not get along with the tape-style interface at all. The current discussion of it in this thread has me wanting to try and record with it on the track I'm currently puttering around with though.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The Voice of Labor posted:

the $1200 6 channel mixer might be a good place to start thinking about what it might be about te's design and marketing strategy that people find offensive. their clothing line would be a good second thing to consider

Is there another six channel stereo mixer that size that’s cheaper?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

yikes, I didn't mean to set off a firestorm.

I saw and appreciated the different levels of linguistic joke in "lmn3" and it made me snicker.

There's a lot of gear I could get for $1280 credit, but I'd had the OP-1 8 months, felt like I was scratching the surface of what it could do, enjoy loving with it, and also enjoy the silliness of it, so I'm happy to just eat a small loss replacing it with a new one and move on. If the new one has less than immaculate audio I/O after 11 months I'll return it again and rethink this.

Korg Gadget 2 is a hell of a lot cheaper if you already have a tablet, and supports kinda similar workflows, IMO. If i hadn't already been enjoying the op1 that's not where my resources would go now, but, I know I'd miss it so :shrug:

I'd go as far as "TE uses basically predatory boutique marketing and provides poo poo support for generally overpriced products in a field already crowded with weird poo poo BUT I really enjoy my OP-1" :laugh:

my $80 mackie 8 channel mixer is just fine...

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 24, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

inferis posted:

thats half the price even buying a case and power new to go with it. plus the cables will fit

to me the TE stuff makes the most sense if you're outfititng your 3-5 year old to do field recording. the soft edges, cool comic characters (the cow!), easy buttons, and anti-teething features will get a lot of use (probably pay for themselves in temper tantrums averted in the 1st month) and you're kind of maximizing the utility of the mixer by getting hands that actually fit the sliders etc. definitely a niche thing and I honestly I'm not surprised they're having trouble scaling up the supply chains, especially in 2022, as this stuff catches on with a wider, non-parent audience

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Also the fact that you also have to buy proprietary cables for the TX-6 so you don't run into this mess:

If you have the money for all that, fine, but to me putting in the hidden cost of proprietary cables so you can make your already-expensive gear work is absolutely predatory.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

inferis posted:

if you're mixing six stereo inputs, that implies that you also have six things capable of producing stereo outputs so who cares how small your mixer is, the rest of the setup won't fit in your pocket. there isn't anything else comparable in that form factor because there's 0 reason for anything else comparable to be in that form factor. there are cheap, small 2 and 4 stereo channel mixers aplenty and cheap 8 channel desktop mixers aplenty because those make sense. like, there's nothing comparable to the TESLA CYBERTRUCK cheaper either.

even with a fancy aluminum case, the component cost for a mixer and a usb interface isn't all that much and if you use those dinky volca sized smt pots, the footprint isn't all that big. they're free to exploit a novel market as much as they want, but I think there's a disconnect between what they're charging and what I think actual production costs are and development costs were

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

inferis posted:

They're not even real teenagers

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s overpriced and I’m cheap.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

someone here got one of those tiny mixers maybe that poster can chime in with their real world experience :cool:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Pollyanna posted:

It’s ludicrously overpriced and I’m cheap.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i do appreciate the playfulness and exploration that some TE products inspire, and cost aside i think the OP1 and some pocket operators allow you to do a ton in a tiny package. that said when you charge prices that would make apple blush while filling your office with supercars i don’t really respect you as a company.

but like i’m not gonna judge anyone for buying and using their products, use the stuff that you gel with and that inspires you.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TE makes really cool unique stuff that is quite overpriced at times but the backlash against them tends to be even worse and eyeroll worthy. They’re a good company. They could be better. The synth world is in my opinion best with them thriving in it and I hope that they grow and adjust over time and stick around.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

as far as supply chain issues, the plight of synthesizers.com saddens me much more than whatever is going on with TE who seen destined to weather it, at least for now

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The Synthmania guy built one of their full huge systems over the course of a decade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkUysTc-OzM

More here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=synthmania+brigitta

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

hey, fishing for some alternate ideas.

My current deal with BHPhoto gives me a 30 day window to decide I don't actually want an OP-1 and do something irresponsible like get a hydrasynth instead, or, maybe more practically, get a Hydrasynth Desktop plus "some other thing or things to help replace the OP-1 in my workflows".

So, I know I'm going to have to give up on having a tiny AIO groovebox if I go this route, and that's probably fine because Gadget 2 plus an ipad is fine for sketching.

The main thing I end up using the OP-1 for is polyphony, both for drum tracks, and sometimes for melody or harmony. The rest of my usual setup is some semimodular analog monosynths connected to a Beatstep and small midi kb, and then the aux loop on everything goes through a KP3, so I can grab loops from the OP-1 (or whatever) and keep them in the KP3 to turn on different drum/synth loops. I've planned to do more actual recording on the OP-1 but have not, the tape interface is... well, you love it, or you don't, and I am not there yet.

So, my question is: #1-if I am not concerned about a super portable AIO groovebox, / DAW what other options might I consider if I am mostly looking for a polysynth that makes it easy to set up drum tracks etc? If I decide to put $800 of that $1400 into a Hydrasynth which covers the polyphony bit nicely but not sequencing and recording, what exists in the $600 range that would cover those use cases? Note that as far as "recording" goes I do have capacity to just feed all this into Studio One on a laptop, or use an iPad as the end of the line recorder (if there's good software for this), so I am open to all these things

#2 a more extreme version of #1 - If i just dump all the money into the full hydrasynth with keyboard, what are the best iOS options for drums specificially, sequencing and recording? I've got Gadget 2, that may be fine?

The hydrasynth looks super sweeet and like it it would open up a bunch of exciting options for interacting with my semimodular stuff.

I've generally been happy with the OP-1, but, the QC seems fucky and it is kind of a toy and part of me thinks if I have the chance to just get out of it at full value here and get a sweet synth and something else, that might make more sense.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Maybe a Digitakt? Or Roland MC707, or one of the new Aira line? It still sounds like a groovebox is a good fit. Plenty of articles/videos online comparing them.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm an Elektron fanboy so maybe a Digitone/takt or Syntakt? There's polyphony plus a good sequencer all in one plus you can use Overbridge although I have heard mixed reviews on it's functionality.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Hmm, now my bad brain is thinking "a lot of these things are $1000 and my return is worth $1400 which would only leave me $300 short for doing some $1k thing plus a hydrasynth". I made the mistake of watching a bunch of hydrasynth videos including a bunch with the desktop version hooked up to Eurorack stuff and it really got my gears turning.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Hmm, now my bad brain is thinking "a lot of these things are $1000 and my return is worth $1400 which would only leave me $300 short for doing some $1k thing plus a hydrasynth". I made the mistake of watching a bunch of hydrasynth videos including a bunch with the desktop version hooked up to Eurorack stuff and it really got my gears turning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUNGG0pfhjw&t=147s

This is my favorite hydra demo,

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

this isn't helping me NOT think, "gently caress it, just get the Hydrasynth keyboard version, get $100 back, and live with my loving Electribe MK2 for drums for the moment, putting it through as many distortion effects as necessary to make it sound less 80s".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

I mean, it does have one of the nicer keybeds out there these days.

You could just get a hydra w/ keys and an sq1 or something?