Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

w00tazn posted:

All signs point to the Pixel on VZW having a locked bootloader versus the Google one having an unlocked one. :(

Can't you just buy one from Google then use it on VZW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

w00tazn posted:

it's free with preorder while supplies last.

When would I get the code? Or if I didn't get the code already, does that mean the supply didn't last?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
The power switch on my Nexus 5 is hosed and the app I use to turn it on via the volume control drains the battery to poo poo, so I was hoping to get one of these Pixel phones when they came out but... £600 for the cheapest model? this some bullshit. I can't spend £600 on a phone. what if i drop it??

Are the 6P or 5X still worth it even though theyre a year old? They're £350 and £260 on Amazon right now

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

The power switch on my Nexus 5 is hosed and the app I use to turn it on via the volume control drains the battery to poo poo, so I was hoping to get one of these Pixel phones when they came out but... £600 for the cheapest model? this some bullshit. I can't spend £600 on a phone. what if i drop it??

Are the 6P or 5X still worth it even though theyre a year old? They're £350 and £260 on Amazon right now

yeah they're pretty good phones, and the price is coming down into "makes it a great phone" territory.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Splinter posted:

Can't you just buy one from Google then use it on VZW?

Yes, you can.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I skipped them last year because I didn't consider them a huge upgrade over my N5 and I figured I could eke another year out of it. A year later and I bought the 5X.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think the support with screensharing is going to be a pretty big hit with the moms who want "an iPhone but without having to switch everything over." Most everything else (other than the camera which is imperceptibly, but unequivocally and measurably better than everything else, we're talking 2 points on a scale of 0-100 here) is minor bells and whistles - unlimited storage for full-resolution photos you'll be sharing cropped or resized and full-resolution video everyone's going to watch at 720p anyway, nothing-to-write-home-about specs, less-than-eye-catching design, and a reworking of Google Now that still doesn't hit the "star trek computer" level of seamlessness/invisibility/what have you.

Sure, it's supposed to be more or less a competitor with the similarly-priced iphone, but then you find the difference among faithfulness in updates, water/dust resistance, and that goddamn motion stills app. After the price, you lose all that, but hey at least you have a headphone jack even though you use bluetooth all the time anyway.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

yeah they're pretty good phones, and the price is coming down into "makes it a great phone" territory.

Mr. Powers posted:

I skipped them last year because I didn't consider them a huge upgrade over my N5 and I figured I could eke another year out of it. A year later and I bought the 5X.

gently caress it, then. It's not like I've much choice anyway. It's only a matter of time before this power switch starts loving again and turning on and off constantly (i smashed it on my desk a few times to fix it, no joke). I refuse to spend £600 on a phone despite my super heavy usage and I'm not going get some poo poo by Samsung that's loaded with bloatware.

Is it worth waiting to see if the price goes down in the next couple of days? Or could the announcement spike the prices of 6Ps? Think I want to try something bigger since I use it for work so much.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

gently caress it, then. It's not like I've much choice anyway. It's only a matter of time before this power switch starts loving again and turning on and off constantly (i smashed it on my desk a few times to fix it, no joke). I refuse to spend £600 on a phone despite my super heavy usage and I'm not going get some poo poo by Samsung that's loaded with bloatware.

Is it worth waiting to see if the price goes down in the next couple of days? Or could the announcement spike the prices of 6Ps? Think I want to try something bigger since I use it for work so much.

I highly doubt the announcement will be pushing the price of 6Ps up since they didn't say any of that stuff was going to end up in an Android update (granted it probably will but they didn't say so) and given how likely it is that people straight up hosed up and bought a 5X/6P thinking it was the Pixel before the preorder page went live, you'll probably see people sheepishly trying to unload theirs.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mr. Powers posted:

How are you liking the 5X over the N5? I'm still on the N4 but these new Pixel's ain't looking appealing for the price.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hughmoris posted:

I'm still on the N4

:psypop: I can say unequivocally that the 5X is worth the price as an upgrade from the N4. Hell, the drat thing looks pretty good performance-wise next to my 2015 Moto X Pure, plus they make Live Cases for it if you're a snazzy case kind of guy (which you may well be since the N4 has that bangin' sparkly glass back).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Google should make Live Cases for other phones, I like them a lot.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Hughmoris posted:

How are you liking the 5X over the N5? I'm still on the N4 but these new Pixel's ain't looking appealing for the price.

I'm really liking it shipping out tomorrow.

E: literally bought it this afternoon. 3 hours post Pixel.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Well that's a disappointing announcement, I need a storage upgrade more than anything on my N6 so I was looking forward to the 128gb versions, but at $1400 AUD for the XL that's never going to happen.

Dont think I can wait until the next set of Nexus/Pixel devices so I guess I'll just buy what ever else looks good and give up my bloat free Android

E: not a big fan of Huawei on principle (and having done some work for them). I do like my brother in laws 5X though.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 5, 2016

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

VodeAndreas posted:

Well that's a disappointing announcement, I need a storage upgrade more than anything on my N6 so I was looking forward to the 128gb versions, but at $1400 AUD for the XL that's never going to happen.

Dont think I can wait until the next set of Nexus/Pixel devices so I guess I'll just buy what ever else looks good and give up my bloat free Android

Get a 6P unless you need the bleeding edge. It's a great phone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

RZA Encryption posted:

When would I get the code? Or if I didn't get the code already, does that mean the supply didn't last?
They'll mail it to you after you have the phone.

quote:

Terms and Conditions
Offer applies to redemption of one Daydream View VR headset with the pre-order of a Pixel phone on the Google Store in the U.S. starting on 10/4/2016 and available while supplies last. After a qualifying purchase of a Pixel phone, a promo code will be emailed within approximately 4 weeks from the Pixel phone shipment date. The promo code must be used on the Google Store before 12/31/2016 and will expire after this date. The promo codes are not stored value, are for one-time use only, cannot be transferred to other users, cannot be exchanged for cash or cash equivalent, and have no balance after one-time use. Google Inc. is not liable for lost or stolen promo codes, or for expired promo codes that are not redeemed before 12/31/2016. To be eligible, user must be a US resident, age 13 or older, and have or activate a Google Payments account. Terms subject to applicable laws. Void where prohibited.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

I went from the N5 to the 5X. It's a solid upgrade and the 5X is very high quality for its steal of a price. It'll be an enormous upgrade from an N4.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Welp looks like it will be another year with my Galaxy S6 Edge then.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I highly doubt the announcement will be pushing the price of 6Ps up since they didn't say any of that stuff was going to end up in an Android update (granted it probably will but they didn't say so) and given how likely it is that people straight up hosed up and bought a 5X/6P thinking it was the Pixel before the preorder page went live, you'll probably see people sheepishly trying to unload theirs.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/04/android-7-1-nougats-changelog-includes-pixel-exclusive-non-pixel-exclusive-changes/

Android 7.1 Changelog:

quote:

Pixel product-specific
Pixel Launcher - swipe up for all apps, new Search Box, date/weather header on home
Google Assistant
Unlimited original quality photo/video backup to Google Photos
Smart Storage - when storage is full, automatically removes old backed up photos/videos
Phone/Chat support (new support tab in settings), screen-share functionality
Quick switch adapter for wired setup from Android or iPhone

Pixel Camera:
Electronic Image Stabilization (“video stabilization”) 2.0
Pro Features
White Balance Presets
Exposure Compensation
AE/AF Locking
Viewfinder grid modes
HW-accelerated (on Qualcomm Hexagon coprocessor) HDR+ image processing
Smartburst

Sensor Hub processor with tightly integrated sensors (accel, gyro, mag) + connectivity (Wi-Fi, Cell, GPS)
Cosmetic
Solid navbar icons with home affordance for Assistant
SysUI accent color theming
Wallpaper picker with new wallpapers and sounds
New setup look and feel
Dynamic calendar date icon

Android Nougat 7.1
Night Light
Touch/display performance improvements
Moves (Fingerprint swipe down gesture - opt-in)
Seamless A/B system updates
Daydream VR mode
Developer features:
App shortcuts / shortcut manager APIs
Circular app icons support
Keyboard image insertion
Fingerprint sensor gesture to open/close notification shade
Manual storage manager Intent for apps
Improved VR thread scheduling
Enhanced wallpaper metadata
Multi-endpoint call support
Support for various MNO requirements
PCDMA voice privacy property
Source type support for Visual Voicemail
Carrier config options for managing video telephony
Manual storage manager - identifies apps and files and apps using storage

Pretty much everything they talked about today will be Pixel phones only. Nexus devices aren't even getting the final 7.1 before the end of 2016, just the beta version.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/04/android-7-1-coming-current-nexus-devices-pixel-c-will-land-end-2016-dev-preview/

So, if you want all the stuff you saw today, plus a non-beta OS, be prepared to spend $600-$900 for it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
My wife and I are completely fed up with Galaxy S7 Edges so I pre-ordered 2 of the Pixel XLs. I can more or less sell the S7's for what I have left on the ATT bill. Figured it was better to cut my loses and get a better phone than to have to deal with Samsung bullshit for a day longer than I have too.

Here is hoping that Google doesn't gently caress it up.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lowen SoDium posted:

My wife and I are completely fed up with Galaxy S7 Edges so I pre-ordered 2 of the Pixel XLs. I can more or less sell the S7's for what I have left on the ATT bill. Figured it was better to cut my loses and get a better phone than to have to deal with Samsung bullshit for a day longer than I have too.

Here is hoping that Google doesn't gently caress it up.

Never buy first gen hardware.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I really hope the extra RAM in the Pixel will alleviate the issues I've experienced on the 5X. On more than one occasion, recently even, the camera is slow to start and will sometimes forget to save pictures I just took. It's also terrible at maintaining app state - I'll switch from App A to App B, and no less than 10 seconds later back to App A, and App A has to reload because it was forced out of memory. I really want to love the 5X but it feels as though its 2GB of RAM is causing it to choke.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Meh, ordered the Pixel Very Silver 128gb. Figure if I change my mind I can cancel.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

butt dickus posted:

They'll mail it to you after you have the phone.

Neat!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

S7 Edge more like S7 Zedge with all the third party poo poo you need to install to make it usable

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Pay $400 extra for the privilege of being datamined even more? No thanks Google.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pretty much everything they talked about today will be Pixel phones only

Watch Google bring SMS support to Allo, but on the Pixel only

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

pee out my butt posted:

Pay $400 extra for the privilege of being datamined even more? No thanks Google.

Yeah, this kind of irks me too.

Part of the reason why iPhone prices don't bother me and Pixel prices do is that Apple is making money on the hardware, not my precious metrics. Google is going to sell the poo poo out of me, which is fine when I'm using their nifty $300 phones, but now they are charging me a shitload for the hardware too?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Watch Google bring SMS support to Allo, but on the PixeliOS only

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pretty much everything they talked about today will be Pixel phones only. Nexus devices aren't even getting the final 7.1 before the end of 2016, just the beta version.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/04/android-7-1-coming-current-nexus-devices-pixel-c-will-land-end-2016-dev-preview/

So, if you want all the stuff you saw today, plus a non-beta OS, be prepared to spend $600-$900 for it.
Oh this is getting mildly annoying.

If this becomes par of the course very quickly, i.e. neglecting the Nexus phones, I think I can manage getting over the terrible UI style of iOS.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

S7 Edge more like S7 Zedge with all the third party poo poo you need to install to make it usable

How dare people customize their phones

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

FAUXTON posted:

:psypop: I can say unequivocally that the 5X is worth the price as an upgrade from the N4. Hell, the drat thing looks pretty good performance-wise next to my 2015 Moto X Pure, plus they make Live Cases for it if you're a snazzy case kind of guy (which you may well be since the N4 has that bangin' sparkly glass back).

Taffer posted:

I went from the N5 to the 5X. It's a solid upgrade and the 5X is very high quality for its steal of a price. It'll be an enormous upgrade from an N4.

I might have to give the $199 5X a shot on Project Fi. My launch-day N4 is still going surprisingly strong but I'm tired of the short battery and long charge times.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

vyst posted:

Defend. Your. Purchase.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

vyst posted:

I'm pretty sure they were saying the phone is non-functional as shipped and needs 3rd party support to work right.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh this is getting mildly annoying.

If this becomes par of the course very quickly, i.e. neglecting the Nexus phones, I think I can manage getting over the terrible UI style of iOS.

Well, the 5x and 6p likely only have one major update left in them anyways.

Otherwise, Nexus line is dead. There aren't going to be any more so you don't have to worry about them being neglected in the long term.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vyst posted:

How dare samsung customize peoples' phones

retconned to make it look like you got the point, you're welcome

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

the only third party customization poo poo i installed on my note 7 was the app to disable the button lights. dehumanize yourself and face to touchwizGrace UX

edit oh and the google now launcher but that's a given in the Android thread right?

nimper fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 5, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

nimper posted:

edit oh and the google now launcher but that's a given in the Android thread right?
My nexus phones have been using Nova prime for *years*. So much more powerful and flexible.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Has anyone ever purchased something from the B&H website linked earlier? I was looking at the Nexus 5X. The 5X is a pretty decent price and I kind of want to get it for my wife since the Pixel is super expensive here in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vasler posted:

Has anyone ever purchased something from the B&H website linked earlier? I was looking at the Nexus 5X. The 5X is a pretty decent price and I kind of want to get it for my wife since the Pixel is super expensive here in Canada.

From what I've heard, they're reputable but hardcore about the Shabbat and the site doesn't accept orders during that time.