Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They could just say boncentration bamps and Biden would believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It sounds weird because they're trying to avoid saying concentration camps.
Thank you. I’ve been thinking the past 20 or so min wondering why the phrasing just felt off and I genuinely couldn’t put it into words.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah it's not even subtle. The same kind of concentration camp used in the Boer War and the Philippine–American War.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68534370

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

If you have a tolerance for terrible graphic design, here is an overview of the Joint Logistics Over-The-Shore system.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Rebel Blob posted:

If you have a tolerance for terrible graphic design, here is an overview of the Joint Logistics Over-The-Shore system.

I love military slides because they make looking at other scientists' presentations feel like an absolute loving treat by comparison. It's stunning how bad every slide deck made by defense people I've ever seen is.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But this is such a godawful, convoluted way of getting aid in when there is a land border easily traversable by vehicles. The only possible reason you could argue for this is that Israel will try to offshore responsibility for searches etc to the US (another cost centre gone).

The US could simply tell Israel: "open Rafah for aid".

It's such a stupid approach that it really opens the mind up to "it's about the offshore gas" stuff, at least in part.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I saw on the news one tiny boat is tugging a tiny little barge of aid towards the Gaza coast and should, um, dock or beach I guess shortly

Edit: it's from Cyprus, 200 tonnes, so gently caress all really

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/13/ship-carrying-aid-gaza-to-reach-shore-thursday-morning

klen dool fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 14, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

klen dool posted:

I saw on the news one tiny boat is tugging a tiny little barge of aid towards the Gaza coast and should, um, dock or beach I guess shortly

Edit: it's from Cyprus, 200 tonnes, so gently caress all really

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/13/ship-carrying-aid-gaza-to-reach-shore-thursday-morning

Looking forward to this boat being declared a Hamas base.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

After the 2010 flotilla raid I can understand people being hesitant about trying to ship in aid. If it goes through we may see an uptick but I personally expect Israel to storm the ship and hold the people involved so that no-one else tries to follow their lead. I’d expect non-lethal force as they really don’t want to gently caress up their PR any more at the moment but who knows with Israel.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The reason Israel and the US are likely doing this convoluted port thing is not because of what the US can bring in but that it provides a way to move the Palestinians out without displacing them into Egypt.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

BTW about a week ago some USS professor of statistics criticised the Gaza health ministry casualty numbers. I remember seeing links to some pushback and criticism to this claim from other statisticians but can’t see anything now, all the Google searches only bring up info on the original claim, not the rebuttals. Does anyone have links to these?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Argas posted:

They could just say boncentration bamps and Biden would believe it.

They're not concentration camps obviously, they're just humanitarian villages where we will densify the Palestinian population.

Very different.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

team overhead smash posted:

BTW about a week ago some USS professor of statistics criticised the Gaza health ministry casualty numbers. I remember seeing links to some pushback and criticism to this claim from other statisticians but can’t see anything now, all the Google searches only bring up info on the original claim, not the rebuttals. Does anyone have links to these?

https://www.mekomit.co.il/%d7%94%d7...3-%d7%94%d7%91/

Israeli Hebrew source but basically the IDF checked the numbers and they're right.

At this point it's probably a major undercount because the health ministry and hospitals are destroyed

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

This is completely, comically wrong by the way. The US system is basically just an anchored pontoon pier out to deep water. It's all roll on roll off so you don't need to try and move containers with a floating crane. we even got an actual picture of the existing system deployed.

dweepus
Nov 25, 2021

Barrel Cactaur posted:

This is completely, comically wrong by the way. The US system is basically just an anchored pontoon pier out to deep water. It's all roll on roll off so you don't need to try and move containers with a floating crane. we even got an actual picture of the existing system deployed.

I could be wrong, but I heard something about it could be up to 60 days before this temporary port is operational? Not to be a doomer about it, any aid is good and all, but I can't help but wonder if it is too little/too late? By the time they get it up will there really be anyone left to aid?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
They don't care. If they cared they'd stop the genocide. This is just a PR stunt. We're not doing a genocide because we're gonna send a bunch of aid - eventually. No we're not gonna stop the bombings etc.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dweepus posted:

I could be wrong, but I heard something about it could be up to 60 days before this temporary port is operational? Not to be a doomer about it, any aid is good and all, but I can't help but wonder if it is too little/too late? By the time they get it up will there really be anyone left to aid?

This is a piece of elaborate theatre they're performing instead of just opening the land border crossings and letting aid trucks through. Be as doomer about it as you like.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

In actual news instead of just posting refrains of the same sentiment over and over again, Chuck Schumer is calling for new elections in Israel. Says we should potentially use the leverage of the aid we provide to force the issue.

https://apnews.com/article/schumer-netanyahu-israel-palestinians-elections-1ebf21e4c9c0f6f42478bb26e1db7a9b

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

I guess it’s fine for someone to look into that, but even Israel and Bibi’s official stance agrees with the Gazan-reported death numbers:

https://www.reuters.com/world/middl...e%20Biden%20has

He says 13,000 men were killed in Gaza, at a 1:1 to 1:1.5 ratio with women and children killed, so even Israel is saying 26,000 to 33,000 deaths in Gaza.

I mean it’s full of poo poo since (a) it considers all males aged 14-99 to be terrorists, and (b) potentially the ratio of men:women+children could be higher than 1:1.5, but the total numbers match what the Gazans are reporting.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

dweepus posted:

60 days is the timeline the US military is saying.

quote:

“We expect the pier to be fully operational in approximately 60 days, which will be able to facilitate the delivery of up to 2 million meals daily,” [Air Force Maj. Gen.] Ryder said.
If you are wondering about the scale of the airdrops:

quote:

In the meantime, the U.S. is continuing to air drop aid into Gaza. Another joint mission with Royal Jordanian Air Force on Tuesday delivered 5,000 meals, Ryder said, bringing the total from U.S. airdrops to more than 204,000 meals, 48,000 bottles of water and more than 5,000 of other food.
So with Gaza's population, all the airdropped aid has been about enough for 10% of the population to have a single meal.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

After the 2010 flotilla raid I can understand people being hesitant about trying to ship in aid. If it goes through we may see an uptick but I personally expect Israel to storm the ship and hold the people involved so that no-one else tries to follow their lead. I’d expect non-lethal force as they really don’t want to gently caress up their PR any more at the moment but who knows with Israel.

freedom flotilla efforts have been pretty regular stunts. to my knowledge israel hasn't killed a bunch of people in any of them since mavi marmara, but the people crewing those flotillas tend to get detained and roughed up a bit, and the boats confiscated. it's an expensive and rather difficult mode of activism but people have been doing them on and off regardless

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kagrenak posted:

In actual news instead of just posting refrains of the same sentiment over and over again, Chuck Schumer is calling for new elections in Israel. Says we should potentially use the leverage of the aid we provide to force the issue.

https://apnews.com/article/schumer-netanyahu-israel-palestinians-elections-1ebf21e4c9c0f6f42478bb26e1db7a9b

Honestly if he can push on this it could be extremely significant. Depends on whether he can persuade Biden to stop looking sad while doing nothing, though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

And they still have to distribute the aid from the port, which means it's gonna get like 3 blocks away from the port and then Israel is going to bomb the poo poo out of it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

World Central Kitchen on the other hand has already sent a ship with 200 tons of food that should be there in a few days.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/14/1238355996/gaza-aid-ship-world-central-kitchen

I am...I guess cautiously optimistic about this project? From what little research I've done World Central Kitchen has done some incredible work in the past under extreme circumstances. According to the article they've built a temporary Jetty that should let them start delivering aid as soon as they land. They're a non-profit so unlike the US Government they don't have to do the whole rules lawyer thing where they have to not technically have boots on the ground with a floating pier I guess.

PostNouveau posted:

And they still have to distribute the aid from the port, which means it's gonna get like 3 blocks away from the port and then Israel is going to bomb the poo poo out of it.

This, unfortunately, is the real problem they'll face once the aid gets there.

No matter how much aid is sent it doesn't matter if the aid keeps getting bombed by the bomb the US keeps giving Israel which is why we should probably stop giving them bombs to fire at civilians and non-profit organizations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This, unfortunately, is the real problem they'll face once the aid gets there.

No matter how much aid is sent it doesn't matter if the aid keeps getting bombed by the bomb the US keeps giving Israel which is why we should probably stop giving them bombs to fire at civilians and non-profit organizations.

Are the roads still functional? Is anyone willing to try it even? Seems like certain death to try and truck aid from this port to any besieged section of Gaza.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
They only just started recently delivering aid to the North after Israel shelled the convoy

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PostNouveau posted:

Are the roads still functional? Is anyone willing to try it even? Seems like certain death to try and truck aid from this port to any besieged section of Gaza.

I don't know, World Central Kitchen is a nonprofit that mostly does hurricane relief so they're used to working in places with severally damaged infrastructure. If it was just a matter of the roads being non-functional that shouldn't be an insurmountable problem. The possibility of Israel bombing them is the real concern here.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Omoly, thanks for that article: it goes into a bit more detail on the jetty than the other one I saw (and I think posted?) earlier. If that can reliably be used for throughput by NGOs, or even just the one, then great.

The fact that they have existing presence on the ground was in the other article and is heartening.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Yeah. It was a shameless piece and little more than misleading propaganda. It's deliberate statistical abuse. This post directly addresses his plots: https://liorpachter.wordpress.com/2024/03/08/a-note-on-how-the-gaza-ministry-of-health-fakes-casualty-numbers/

There's a bunch of other stuff out there about other issues he has (eg on assumptions about other conflicts, on assumptions about how data is collected in warzones).

It's *genuinely* embarrassing stuff. I've seen people on Data Science courses at General Assembly present better cases.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The reason Israel and the US are likely doing this convoluted port thing is not because of what the US can bring in but that it provides a way to move the Palestinians out without displacing them into Egypt.

Where, exactly, in your theory, are they going to move these Palestinians out *to*

Madagascar again?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Rust Martialis posted:

Where, exactly, in your theory, are they going to move these Palestinians out *to*

Madagascar again?

https://newrepublic.com/post/177837/report-israel-expel-palestinians-gaza-third-country-congo

Is the Madagascar line an attempt at humor? It’s not a good one.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Biden has consistently pushed back against Netanyahu's public desire to govern/take over Gaza. Stop trying to start a conspiracy about how this aid port thing is actually going to be used to help Israel to do exactly that

Kalit fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 15, 2024

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kalit posted:

Biden has consistently stated that he’s not going to allow Israel to govern/take over Gaza. Stop trying to start a conspiracy about how this aid port thing is actually going to be used to help Israel to do exactly that

No, because he's given us no reason to trust his courage or conviction in preventing the mass expulsion of Gazans.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Kalit posted:

Biden has consistently stated that he’s not going to allow Israel to take over Gaza.
From the article:

quote:

Israeli officials have made it increasingly clear in recent days that their plan is to completely eliminate Palestine. Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said Monday that a way to solve the war was to “encourage the voluntary migration of Gaza’s residents to countries that will agree to take in the refugees.”

Separately, National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir told reporters Monday that the war was an “opportunity to concentrate on encouraging the migration of the residents of Gaza.”

While it's not official Israeli policy, there's clearly significant support for "encouraging the migration" of Gazans. I'm sure the wholesale bombing and murder is great encouragement in itself.

Anyway, this is something that's clearly in the cards for Israelis. Why is Biden saying he's not going to allow that to happen at all credible? We've been down this road of the administration's red lines and the like, and they've shown zero interest in following through with any consequences whatsoever for the Israelis.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

cat botherer posted:

From the article:

While it's not official Israeli policy, there's clearly significant support for "encouraging the migration" of Gazans. I'm sure the wholesale bombing and murder is great encouragement in itself.

Anyway, this is something that's clearly in the cards for Israelis. Why is Biden saying he's not going to allow that to happen at all credible? We've been down this road of the administration's red lines and the like, and they've shown zero interest in following through with any consequences whatsoever for the Israelis.

I edited my post to be more accurate, sorry about that.

My point is trying to claim that Biden is likely to use this aid port to help Netanyahu achieve his desire of taking over Gaza is a wild conspiracy. Based on Biden's consistent pushback against said desire.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
By pushback do you mean his many empty words, or the many arms shipments to Israel?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kalit posted:

I edited my post to be more accurate, sorry about that.

My point is trying to claim that Biden is likely to use this aid port to help Netanyahu achieve his desire of taking over Gaza is a wild conspiracy. Based on Biden's consistent pushback against said desire.
even with your edit, this still stands

Darth Walrus posted:

No, because he's given us no reason to trust his courage or conviction in preventing the mass expulsion of Gazans.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

By pushback do you mean his many empty words, or the many arms shipments to Israel?

Is your point that he’s inconsistent in sending arms to Israel to try to eliminate Hamas but doesn’t want them to govern Gaza? Because while I wildly disagree with selling Israel arms, that’s still a consistent thought process, IMO

If your point is something else, I have no idea what you’re getting at

World Famous W posted:

even with your edit, this still stands

Preventing something from occurring and directing the US military to directly carry out an order using US equipment are wildly different things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kalit posted:

Is your point that he’s inconsistent in sending arms to Israel to destroy Hamas

Oh that’s what Israel is using all those weapons for