Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

McLarenF1 posted:

Are there a lot of Inline 4 6-700cc bikes? Seems like a triple is the way to go.

CBRs, R6's, ZX6's, GSXR6's and the various iterations of each come to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shimrod posted:

CBRs, R6's, ZX6's, GSXR6's and the various iterations of each come to mind.

I think he's meaning budget/midlevel/learner bikes, not supersports. Like the sv650 or er-6 but with an I4.

I can think of hornet 600, the yamaha equivalent thereof that I can't recall, the suzuki gsx-650f, and a couple of others that don't spring to mind.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Yesterday I made a video of some of the riding in the area I am flying around in Kenya.

http://youtu.be/GIZzNpr8Pe8

It starts just leaving the pilot housing in my camp. It's really shaky because I was attempting to use a suction cup mount over my speedometer, but it crapped out before I hit the end of the driveway. So I switched to helmetcam. It's pretty boring to most of you, I'm sure, so I sped up as many of the most boring parts as I could. Hopefully it's palatable.

This isn't riding through the reserve though, as motorbikes aren't allowed in there. It's on the other side of the Talek river from there. Some manyattas and a school. Nothing fancy.

A lot of it looks like desert, but it's actually just really short grass, due to the Masai cattle eating everything. Pretty much the entire area has been eaten to nothing, so the cattle are very thin. But they keep buying more cattle, despite the area not being able to support them.

I don't go to far. I picked a road and kept riding. Then when it turned to loose gravel and stayed that way, I turned around.

I apologize for the sound. I forgot to switch the door on the GoPro to the open-back, so it has the water and sound-proof back on it. And the sound cuts out when it's in FF.

I'm sure you'll see plenty of bad riding; please keep in mind I've only been riding for 2 weeks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

Yeah no, this is dumb. Having an actual superbike engine in a naked seems like an awesome idea on paper, but having superbike gearing on a naked is dumb and pointless. You can't realistically do 300km/h on a naked with flat bars and an upright riding position. So if you have short gearing and a peaky engine that revs to the moon, you get a not-very-fun bike. If you have an engine with a bulbous torque curve and short gearing, you get mad wheelies and low-speed acceleration.

Beaten.

Speak for yourself. FuzzyWuzzyBear's 06 ZX10 with -1 tooth in the front is loving awesome on the street. It's still probably good for 90mph in first gear, but it has enough power that it just doesn't matter. Same is true of the S1000RR, that engine is great for street, the 2013 I rode didn't need any changing.

It's loving dumb how they always neuter the engines on streetbikes. That's why I'd never buy a factory naked, just buy the supersport and put a bar on it, and get the real thing. -1/+2 will take care of any potential gearing issues you have.

This is a great concept for a racebike, it's dumb as gently caress on a streetbike.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I like the rpm layout and actually got one of these to do the exact same thing. I configured mine to start at 5k and flash at the redline. It works nice as an easy read tach/shift light when you want to roll on, but doesn't stay lit up and in your face when cruising along at low rpms.

Not that you really need a shift light for a street bike, but it's a nice bling factor with a side of function.

:edit:

slidebite posted:

Really? :shrug:

As an ex Honda ST guy, I can safely say the V4 is a nice engine sure but I don't see all that much redeeming about it compared to a "normal" cruiser... other than far uglier. To each their own though I guess.

I'm not liking the fairings on it, but I do hope to see a naked variety that doesn't look like a mini-wing. As far as normal cruisers, it's all about delivery. Twins with 3k powerbands designed for maximum power in top gear while keeping the rpm's as low as possible. They're all about comfortable highway passing, and relatively boring as a result. If you like ringing a bike out there are not many options for it outside of behemoths like the Rocket III and VMAX, or older bikes with bias ply tires, damping rod suspension, and carbs.

A big part of the attraction to V4's for me is that they can sound like a big block engine. I'm pretty sure I'd be thrilled with an ST styled like a cruiser that I could put gently caress off pipes on, twist my wrist and blast off into the sunset. :911:

Muscle bike honorable mention the M109R. With modern suspension, brakes, fuel injection... and is almost 800lbs, has a 3k powerband, and is 1800cc.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 6, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've always liked the m109. Pity it isn't in the same league as VMAX, diavel etc on power. Has the coolest tail light I've ever seen on a factory bike.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Me eat grom.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/05/caterham-bikes-eicma/

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

A Rokon with power?

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

St_Ides posted:

Yesterday I made a video of some of the riding in the area I am flying around in Kenya.

It starts just leaving the pilot housing in my camp. It's really shaky because I was attempting to use a suction cup mount over my speedometer, but it crapped out before I hit the end of the driveway. So I switched to helmetcam. It's pretty boring to most of you, I'm sure, so I sped up as many of the most boring parts as I could. Hopefully it's palatable.

This isn't riding through the reserve though, as motorbikes aren't allowed in there. It's on the other side of the Talek river from there. Some manyattas and a school. Nothing fancy.

A lot of it looks like desert, but it's actually just really short grass, due to the Masai cattle eating everything. Pretty much the entire area has been eaten to nothing, so the cattle are very thin. But they keep buying more cattle, despite the area not being able to support them.

I don't go to far. I picked a road and kept riding. Then when it turned to loose gravel and stayed that way, I turned around.

I apologize for the sound. I forgot to switch the door on the GoPro to the open-back, so it has the water and sound-proof back on it. And the sound cuts out when it's in FF.

I'm sure you'll see plenty of bad riding; please keep in mind I've only been riding for 2 weeks.

Just managing to ride on that and not bin it makes you about a 100% more hardcore than the rest of us. Looks like a beautiful place too!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

St_Ides posted:

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!

Seriously cool, I'd love to visit that part of the earth one of these days.
Also, the video goes extremely well with this chillout ambient music I'm listening to right now (Deep Space One on Soma FM), even the sped up bits (especially the sped up bits?)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sexy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Halo_4am posted:

I'm not liking the fairings on it, but I do hope to see a naked variety that doesn't look like a mini-wing. As far as normal cruisers, it's all about delivery. Twins with 3k powerbands designed for maximum power in top gear while keeping the rpm's as low as possible. They're all about comfortable highway passing, and relatively boring as a result. If you like ringing a bike out there are not many options for it outside of behemoths like the Rocket III and VMAX, or older bikes with bias ply tires, damping rod suspension, and carbs.

A big part of the attraction to V4's for me is that they can sound like a big block engine. I'm pretty sure I'd be thrilled with an ST styled like a cruiser that I could put gently caress off pipes on, twist my wrist and blast off into the sunset. :911:
I think you make some fair observations and I would like to see a non-fairinged version, but I doubt that's going to happen. Would be interesting though, kind of a fat-guzzi look.

Those ST V-4s aren't exactly rev happy. In practice they have a pretty straight powerband and are most comfortable in the midrange.. maybe higher than a twin but they noticeably run out of breath <6K.. you really don't really feel like you're going to get much more out of them past that and just might as well shift up.

Can't say I really agree with you how one, especially a 1300cc, could sound like a big block, although that would be something.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I need one of those right now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

wallaka posted:

I need one of those right now.

Me too, and I don't even own anything with three cylinders.

tjones
May 13, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Me too, and I don't even own anything with three cylinders.

Place it on your dining table as art for a great conversation piece.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not exactly motorcycle related, but someone flew a jetpack around Mt. Fuji. I really hope these are available to buy before I kick the bucket :aaa: Has anyone heard of this dude or have specs on it?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/real-life-rocketeer-flies-his-jetpack-around-mount-fuji

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Seen Breitling ads for him in car magazines. I think he was on Top Gear once. Any dude with a jet pack must be a p cool dude.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jeeves and Woster IRL.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Jeeves and Woster IRL.

M.A.S.K had been sitting on the backburner for fifty years, until the toy-driven cartoons of the 80s finally made it marketable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

As a Canadian, :awesome:

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

While riding aimlessly around town today, I found a thing. I thought it was worth taking a photo of.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Mushika posted:

While riding aimlessly around town today, I found a thing. I thought it was worth taking a photo of.

Too bad they spelled it wrong.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

What's an 's' between friends?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
From my local facebook classifieds

Ugh, tricked scooters, whatev-

:what:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
At least it looks normal, unlike the goofiness of a stretched out Ruckus.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

thylacine posted:

At least it looks normal, unlike the goofiness of a stretched out Ruckus.

Unlike the 'busas with stretched swing arms, there's actually a reason for it on the Ruckus. With its stock 50cc engine, the Honda Ruckus is a decent but very boring scooter. It's slow, can't handle hills, etc. But if you attach a GY6 engine, a very common engine type that usually runs between 125-170cc, the Ruckus suddenly becomes an amazingly fun scooter. It's fast, surprisingly fast, and the longer wheelbase makes it less twitchy at high speeds.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Goredema posted:

Unlike the 'busas with stretched swing arms, there's actually a reason for it on the Ruckus. With its stock 50cc engine, the Honda Ruckus is a decent but very boring scooter. It's slow, can't handle hills, etc. But if you attach a GY6 engine, a very common engine type that usually runs between 125-170cc, the Ruckus suddenly becomes an amazingly fun scooter. It's fast, surprisingly fast, and the longer wheelbase makes it less twitchy at high speeds.

Also stretched and customized Ruckuses own hard.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Any "dream garage" statement that doesn't include the mention of some kind of tricked out Ruckus is just playing the wrong game.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Anyone whose "dream garage" is anything other than Fabio's back yard is either a poser or an idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VSkY0MfOqk

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
All those Ducati belts, slowly becoming brittle and shaped to the cam gears. :smith:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Z3n posted:

All those Ducati belts, slowly becoming brittle and shaped to the cam gears. :smith:

If anyone knows the special combo of oils and unguents needed to keep them soft and supple it's that guy

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

special combo of oils and unguents

I can't believe it's not butter.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
The way he has them all shoved in it's impossible to ride most of those without spending an hour moving bikes around.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing he's got the time to wait for his maid to get out the bike he wants for the day.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Dirt bike party at Fabio's house.

I mean dirt bikes are awesome, and I understand collecting superbikes with race liveries... But why so many dirt bikes. He must ride them until their first maintenance interval and pack 'me up or he has 50 kids.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

thylacine posted:

Dirt bike party at Fabio's house.

I mean dirt bikes are awesome, and I understand collecting superbikes with race liveries... But why so many dirt bikes. He must ride them until their first maintenance interval and pack 'me up or he has 50 kids.

He's just rich and that's his jam. Some people collect weird poo poo but collecting dirt bikes doesn't seem that weird.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Yamaha does a direct comparison on the Street Triple.

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/products/modelvideo/685/1767/0/video.aspx

It's a *tiny* bit biased.

(sorry if this was posted, I went back several pages and didn't see it)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Since we're apparently on the "Post your favorite terrible motorcycle poo poo" page...have some forks raked ALL THE WAY TO STURGIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is hilarious. And also very Japanese. Our bike is superior and we can prove it HERE IS A CHECKLIST IT CAN'T BE WRONG.

To the two (?) owners of those things on here: that instrument cluster is boss. But with no sunshade or anything whatsoever, is it actually visible in really sunny weather? Seems like glare would make it useless.

edit: ^^^^^^^ has a front brake, is more legitimate than ~~custom choppers~~