Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Titles aren't in my name, doesn't count!

Cheater!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I want to see an "Intervention" episode with Z3n screaming at the top of his lungs "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS 'TOO MANY MOTORCYCLES'" as he stomps away to hit up the 1290 like a crack pipe.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I mean this just showed up today. How could I turn it away?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

I mean this just showed up today. How could I turn it away?

I want to do terrible things to that bike, like paint it cream with silver and purple flames. What is it and why should or shouldn't I dream about owning one?

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 10, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chichevache posted:

I want to do terrible things to that bike, like paint it cream with silver and purple flames. What is it and why should or shouldn't I dream about owning one?

It's a Honda CBX.

You should dream about owning it because of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8tkVSKb77Y

You don't want to own one because it's a Honda and thusly it's a complete pain in the dick to work on, it has 6 carbs to balance, it's a late 70s/early 80s bike, they're stupid expensive because they've become cult bikes, etc.
But hey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsmcDLDw9iw
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocFxQjPeyiY
pretty much says it all.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
All the JIS fasteners, weedy suspension and brakes of my old 750ss but with more weight and power. Can't go wrong with that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

monsterzero posted:

All the JIS fasteners, weedy suspension and brakes of my old 750ss but with more weight and power. Can't go wrong with that.

Step 3 of removing the carbs:

"Tilt Engine".

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Z3n posted:

"Tilt Engine".

That's Honda for "remove everything except the taillight," right?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Z3n posted:

You don't want to own one because it's a Honda and thusly it's not a KZ1300

FTFY

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One of the few lovely old bikes I'd ever contemplate actually owning. Yes I know how bad they are shutup.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Z3n posted:

You don't want to own one because it's a Honda and thusly it's a complete pain in the dick to work on, it has 6 carbs to balance, it's a late 70s/early 80s bike, they're stupid expensive because they've become cult bikes, etc.
But hey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsmcDLDw9iw
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocFxQjPeyiY
pretty much says it all.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Had an opportunity to buy a fixer upper one of these recently. Really didn't want to say no but I said no and I assume I was right to.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Had an opportunity to buy a fixer upper one of these recently. Really didn't want to say no but I said no and I assume I was right to.

Yeah, at least the CBX still has a following. KZ1300s are just impossible, same with the old Benellis.

Gonna be my life.

I'm actually probably going to farm out the carb work to an expert - old school carbs is here in the bay area, so that makes that a hell of a lot easier, plus they do a pile of CBX work.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Z3n posted:

It's a Honda CBX.

You should dream about owning it because of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8tkVSKb77Y

You don't want to own one because it's a Honda and thusly it's a complete pain in the dick to work on, it has 6 carbs to balance, it's a late 70s/early 80s bike, they're stupid expensive because they've become cult bikes, etc

Hey so what's up, I just bought an 89 Honda 400 should I like freak out about maintenance on this thing? Seems pretty chill so far but it's my first bike so I really have no idea what I am doing

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It doesn't have six carbs. Hopefully.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

captainOrbital posted:

And then there's 2?, for which you multiply by every number including the zero.

You've been using Excel 2010 I see.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Hey so what's up, I just bought an 89 Honda 400 should I like freak out about maintenance on this thing? Seems pretty chill so far but it's my first bike so I really have no idea what I am doing

Nah it's fine you're just going to hate working on it if you ever have to (unlikely).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Z3n posted:

Nah it's fine you're just going to hate working on it if you ever have to (unlikely).

Haha okay. It has a bit of trouble getting started / warmed up but its not too bad

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Seafoam in the gas and an italian tune up.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Z3n posted:

Seafoam in the gas and an italian tune up.

Thanks! How much seafoam goes in exactly?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Thanks! How much seafoam goes in exactly?

There are handy instructions on the bottle. Follow those or: "some, but not tons. Start with a lil' bit per gallon."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I randomly add about 1/3 to 1/2 of a bottle to a gas tank.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Hooray seafoam!

Question though as I've recently gotten a(n actually) new bike: is it worth it to use seafoam in it every once in a while? It was great in my old KLR but I got a bike that's new and has FI and I know the bottle talks a big game that it helps longevity and all that, and wonder if it's all just stuff to make me buy it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

:allears:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Collateral Damage posted:

It doesn't have six carbs. Hopefully.

The only 89 Honda 400 I can think of is the CB-1. So lucky him, it only has 4 :v:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

:insurance logic:

If it doesn't have fairings, it's a standard. Even if it makes 200hp and weighs 380 lbs.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Gorson posted:

The only 89 Honda 400 I can think of is the CB-1. So lucky him, it only has 4 :v:

Haha yeah, its a CB-1. Cool bike. I'm still getting used to it, it's very docile under say, 6000RPMs or so, then it takes off. So I'm just keeping the revs low

Did the seafoam thing last night but haven't taken it out because of this monsoon that Denver is experiencing

Tires question: They're like 90% tread but they're also about 5 years old. Should I consider replacing them because of their age?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MoraleHazard posted:

If it doesn't have fairings, it's a standard. Even if it makes 200hp and weighs 380 lbs.

Guaranteed a Tuono is going to be cheaper than any Ducati in every way an insurer is concerned about. They can write it off at like $3000 less than a 749.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

clutchpuck posted:

Guaranteed a Tuono is going to be cheaper than any Ducati in every way an insurer is concerned about. They can write it off at like $3000 less than a 749.

They both bluebook around the same (4-4.5k). Either way, for reference, I was paying >$100/mo on my GSXR750. Insuring pasta poo poo is super cheap.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 12, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Why am I looking at victory motorcycles.

I'm not old enough for a cruiser yet, my age still has a 2 in front! I don't think bugs taste good!

But oh god that was a comfy rear end bike

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It might look like the insurers are dumb here, but they are probably pricing that accurately based on thorough and bitter experience. A Tuono 1000 will have the potential for a bigger impact, but the name "Ducati" draws more squids and ends up on more insurance claims.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

A MIRACLE posted:

Haha yeah, its a CB-1. Cool bike. I'm still getting used to it, it's very docile under say, 6000RPMs or so, then it takes off. So I'm just keeping the revs low

Did the seafoam thing last night but haven't taken it out because of this monsoon that Denver is experiencing

Tires question: They're like 90% tread but they're also about 5 years old. Should I consider replacing them because of their age?

Very cool bikes. There's one local but he wants too much for it. 5 years should be fine as long as they weren't terrible tires to begin with, or sat out in the sun unused for that length of time. Check them over closely for any signs of cracking to be sure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

That is a cool engine, I had a CBR400. They sound like an F1 car with even a mild can.

Those tyres are hosed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If the tires are 5 years old by date code, they're end of life but probably ok. If they were installed 5 years ago, they're done, as they're likely to be years older.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

What should I replace them with? I can take this to tire thread if I need to

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MoraleHazard posted:

My insurance company refuses to insure the Kawasaki Z1000SX because it looks like a sport bike, but they'll happily insure the naked Z1000. :confused:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

MoraleHazard posted:

This is why bikes like the Tuono and ZRX and FZ1 own. And if you're inclined towards donging around they all do it much better than a super sport will.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Seriously. Wheelies everywhere.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You should have ridden the SD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
gently caress :smith: I'll probably be in the area again in a few months.