Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Class Warcraft posted:

Right now I'm leaning towards Samurai in 15mm, or possibly 6mm.

Did you post about this on facebook recently? Because I answered exactly this question yesterday. :P

Otherwise I have some samurai ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Anyone play these rules?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Did you post about this on facebook recently? Because I answered exactly this question yesterday. :P

Otherwise I have some samurai ideas.

I did, yes. Small world!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Southern Heel posted:

Anyone play these rules?

I looked over it when it first came out but what really struck me was how many bases of infantry they were expecting you to provide for even a small game. Real Grog-Brained everyone has thousands of these laying around mentality.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Springfield Fatts posted:

I looked over it when it first came out but what really struck me was how many bases of infantry they were expecting you to provide for even a small game. Real Grog-Brained everyone has thousands of these laying around mentality.

Isn't that a Perry Bros ruleset? Not surprising if so.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
How many different people make Landshneckt minis?

So far I have gripping beast, warlord, perry, Wargames Atlantic (conquistadors), technically oldhammer state troops.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

alg posted:

first group of Gallic/Briton Warriors. I know almost nothing about ancients except that Infamy Infamy is a great game, and I am reading some stuff now. nevertheless, all criticisms will slide off me like the blood of my slain Roman enemies

Be prepared to read about atrocities that were so gutwrenching that people risked being killed to talk about how hosed up they were.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
People who napoleonics: is there a reason that napoleonics wargames usually give some kind of "first shots of the game" bonus? Is it just that the assumption is blackpowder weapons foul, so their best shot is first, or is it something else? It seems weirdly omnipresent and IDGI.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How many different people make Landshneckt minis?

So far I have gripping beast, warlord, perry, Wargames Atlantic (conquistadors), technically oldhammer state troops.

If you're looking for landsknechts and haven't seen Steel Fist's Italian Wars range yet then my dude, you're in for a treat.

For completeness you might want to add Foundry and Mirliton to your list, though Foundry is imho on the expensive side for what you get, and Mirliton is a bit hit or mix. The hidden gem of Mirliton is that they have some very nice early renaissance guns (that you can buy without crew) and also an extensive range of accessories such as loose weapons which are a very useful thing if you're looking to convert stuff.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

spectralent posted:

People who napoleonics: is there a reason that napoleonics wargames usually give some kind of "first shots of the game" bonus? Is it just that the assumption is blackpowder weapons foul, so their best shot is first, or is it something else? It seems weirdly omnipresent and IDGI.

I can think of two main reasons.

First of all, the gunpowder was still relatively bad. It was smoky a.f., as this was before smokeless gunpowder, but late enough that everyone has a musket and the volleys were massive. There are witnesses saying that people hardly could see what they were supposed to aim at once a few volleys were shot and it wasn't windy. So your aim quickly deteriorated due to pretty much standing in a very heavy fog.

Secondly, as the volleys progress, control deteriorates. People are stressed, scared, fumble and shoot without order etc. Such volleys are simply less effective. There are many muskets found on digs of battlefields with two, three or more bullets packed into them, as the user didn't realize that the gun didn't shoot and went back to reload, ramming the thing full of charges. Before the first volley you could probably hear the commands of your NCO, while you're probably half deaf, shocked, stressed to bits and have random salvoes blasting away around you after that first volley. I've read descriptions of troops standing VERY CLOSE to each other but the firefight causing quite few casualties, as both sides were doing the drills of reloading etc. frantically but hardly aiming well enough to cause casualites, instead firing as quickly as possible. There are even stories of soldiers doing this at just a few yards from each other, when a bayonet charge would have chased away the other side in seconds.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Black powder gunsmoke also loving reeks of fart. I mean technically sulfur, but nah, it's human fart smell. The smoke smells good for maybe some few seconds, then the sulfur lasts for hours. When I did napoleonic re-enacting that was my main takeaway.

not directly related to gameplay, but a fun fact for to sympathize with your toy soldiers.

e: also you're wearing a thick clown coat in the middle of summer, half your friends are dead with their guts out, some people have horses, so basically what I'm saying is the 19th century battlefield is a land of smells

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 1, 2023

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
While the real effect of shooting would be to gradually get worse, it's a lot easier to just track the first shot of the game and not worry about a sliding scale.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Valour and Freedom is fun for what it is- a decisive quick play Napoleonics rule set designed to let you finish a battle in an evening.

I’ve played a few games at this point and had fun every time.

And it’s designed by Jervis Johnson (I was lucky enough to participate in the beta testing process)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

spectralent posted:

Everything I've read says it counts a lot if you can wait till they get close enough before you fire you first shot. The men have spent all the time they needed to load and aim, they aren't covered in smoke, probably haven't taken too many casualties yet, it is vastly harder to reload knowing the enemy might be charging down upon you in the next 40 seconds which may be shorter than you take to load, you aren't deaf from firing and the gun isn't fouled, you flint probably isn't broken, the spring isn't broken and things were a lot more calmer.

I don't think it belongs in brigade level games, but I can see it working as a rule in battalion level games. And it adds some tactical thought of when to fire first.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
One of my most memorable reenacting moments was after a rain storm, humid as gently caress, and we were doing street firing. After the first couple of volleys, because of the wet, still air, the smoke just hung in place, and I could see nothing but the British feet and the occasional flash in the smoke.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

drat, that does sound cool.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've decided to make a compromise with my 1700's historical-fiction armies by allowing myself bases with just one strip of figures on the front as a transitional state - the idea being that I can get my toy soldiers on the table a good deal quicker. I've already had to compromise from 4 bases per regiment to 2, so this is streamlining even further.

So far I've done around 20 bases but I'm just so bloody slow with painting, My most recent five bases, each with a single rank of six musketeers, has taken me around three hours to get the base coats applied. I just don't know how to paint them any faster, but maybe this is just the reality of painting C18th figures?

In happier news I think I've settled on a colour scheme for my second army: the Dutch/Netherlands uniforms of the early 1700's - primarily off-white coats with primary colour facings in various permutations. For a greater splash of colour allied Scots in red/yellow and Swiss in blue/red (obviously some other minor powers in my imaginary conflict). I think a few test schemes are merited before settling on cream vs light grey vs mid-grey.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking of using:

I was hoping to get some more generic info down though, since I'm so bloody bad at it:
- Should my troops have white or black/brown hair? So far I've gone with white since it contrasts with blue coats
- Would the bandolier/ammo box straps in C18th troops be white, fawn, black, etc.? So far I've gone with a very light brown, just to make it distinct from regimental facings

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Southern Heel posted:

- Should my troops have white or black/brown hair? So far I've gone with white since it contrasts with blue coats
I guess the answer depends on whether wigs are common in your historical-fiction army. If they are, then white hair is appropriate, for officers/leaders if nothing else. If not, then the mix I typically do is 1 black, 1 dark brown, 1 light brown, 1 blonde in every 4 soldiers. If I'm feeling frisky, then 1-in-4 blondes gets a light wash of chestnut ink to turn him into a red-head. This is assuming northern European/Caucasian troops, if you're painting something else you'll want a different set/distribution of colors.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What thread should I use to talk Xenos Rampant

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
This'n:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3253037

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Southern Heel posted:

I've decided to make a compromise with my 1700's historical-fiction armies by allowing myself bases with just one strip of figures on the front as a transitional state - the idea being that I can get my toy soldiers on the table a good deal quicker. I've already had to compromise from 4 bases per regiment to 2, so this is streamlining even further.

So far I've done around 20 bases but I'm just so bloody slow with painting, My most recent five bases, each with a single rank of six musketeers, has taken me around three hours to get the base coats applied. I just don't know how to paint them any faster, but maybe this is just the reality of painting C18th figures?

In happier news I think I've settled on a colour scheme for my second army: the Dutch/Netherlands uniforms of the early 1700's - primarily off-white coats with primary colour facings in various permutations. For a greater splash of colour allied Scots in red/yellow and Swiss in blue/red (obviously some other minor powers in my imaginary conflict). I think a few test schemes are merited before settling on cream vs light grey vs mid-grey.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking of using:

I was hoping to get some more generic info down though, since I'm so bloody bad at it:
- Would the bandolier/ammo box straps in C18th troops be white, fawn, black, etc.? So far I've gone with a very light brown, just to make it distinct from regimental facings

Straps would usually be white afaik, but my experience wearing them, the leather scuffs from pristine white to its natural turd brown colour, or if you're lucky, you just get it sunfaded into piss yellow. Like many things painted in historicals, I bet you can't get it wrong as long as you stick to whatever style you have going. The correct green of July 1742 is some variant of gently caress it, green, ish, maybe?

The white stays forever if you upkeep it, but I'm guessing enlisted soldiers on campaign had better things to think about up until Sergeant Bored comes around for a meaningless inspection.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm guessing enlisted soldiers on campaign had better things to think about up until Sergeant Bored comes around for a meaningless inspection.

Sgt Pflueger's Forlorn Hope Sperrver Band

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

alg posted:

first group of Gallic/Briton Warriors. I know almost nothing about ancients except that Infamy Infamy is a great game, and I am reading some stuff now. nevertheless, all criticisms will slide off me like the blood of my slain Roman enemies

spectralent posted:

No those look sick and you're completely correct to paint them vivid colours. Everyone loved dyes.

Absolutely! Looks great to me, alg! Very nice work

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you for the tips on hair, straps, etc.

I did some very rough test models for the grey-coated uniform, using the colours of the 1st and 2nd regiments in the diagram I posted earlier and I'm not really all that happy with them:

I just don't think the cool grey (sombre grey / wolf grey) is distinct enough from the white breeches/straps/hat ribbon. Incidentally I think I also prefer the mahogany of the NCO's halberd to the pine of the standard bearer's pole. I could darken it, but I think then I'm at a risk of the figures looking rather dull, so I reckon my best option is to go with a warm, creamy colour. Any thoughts or opinions gladly taken!

PS. here's the 'other' army in what I hoped would be a flattering shot but has ended up making them look like undistinguished blobs anyway:

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 4, 2023

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Man this was super super tough but I am glad I did the decals

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

3 Action Economist posted:

One of my most memorable reenacting moments was after a rain storm, humid as gently caress, and we were doing street firing. After the first couple of volleys, because of the wet, still air, the smoke just hung in place, and I could see nothing but the British feet and the occasional flash in the smoke.

Were they showing feet then

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Man, so, ESR. There's aspects of it I like and don't like but, honestly, the part that's kind of blowing my mind at present is the whole thing of how units... just fight stuff. The system of threat and and cohesion is really quite neat and it's immediately making me think about adapting it's approach to high-level 20th century wargames - the concept of large units making "Attacks" on stuff is definitely one of those things that's common but feels really janky to me, like it's just scaling up a skirmish wargame, whereas the ESR way where there's a nebulous "threat field" in front of your units feels right for... Honestly, anything company and up, really. Adapting unit stances also felt smooth and was pretty easy to intuit from natural language instructions from other players. All in all, nice little game!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Has anyone played the Panzer Korps grand tactical ruleset, and got any vibe on how good it is? I saw the NDNG review for it but they seemed to more be... new to the entire concept of larger scale games, if that makes sense?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Bavarian army of the Marlburian period is 90% done - I'm quite pleased with it!

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Southern Heel posted:

Bavarian army of the Marlburian period is 90% done - I'm quite pleased with it!

Looks ace, very colourful! What rules are you planning on using them with, or is this just for fun?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The danelaw has taken up arms against wessex, and the fyrd return the call to war!

The fyrd here - mostly just fyrd soldiers with godawful stats but the lord and his huscarl retainer there add a bit of muscle. We hope.

And the viking warband! Though, what's this-?

muffled BFG division playing in the distance

For early moves, my Saxon horseman rode up towards the archer and the shieldmaiden warlord (representing an infantry figure here). I was planning to sit here to force everyone to slow down and break up because of the mobility advantage, but the archer there got a lick in and I lost my nerve and charged him in, and he got mobbed up. Lesson learned.

The Fyrd form a wall - and the viking menace responds in kind.

The melee that develops quickly draws in essentially everyone on the board - the Berserker isn't actually in the fight yet, but more or less everyone else who isn't carrying a bow is, and there's losses all round.

But the fyrd break first in the face of viking fury, fleeing for the hills. And the levied peasants do, but...

The lord won't be beaten that easily! He charges the archer, but is unable to slay him before the vikings return to relieve him.

The entire viking host is now here against the one lord, and he slays the bowman - but, alas, is slain in turn by furious berserker steel.

Victory to the danes! The shieldmaiden returns home with many fine trinkets and tales of derring do to share. Victory to my signifcant other in this one.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

INinja132 posted:

Looks ace, very colourful! What rules are you planning on using them with, or is this just for fun?

I have got a historical campaign already plotted out – but the wind has been somewhat taken out of my sails recently.

Half of the regiments are only a single strip per base, which was a compromise I made in order to get them ready to field. Their opponents remain completely unpainted.

I think I’ll probably play using absolute emperor with the zoomed in brigade level rules. I appreciate there are more suitable rosettes out there, such as “twilight of the soldier Kings”, “test of honour”, etc. but right now I can’t face it!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

spectralent posted:

The danelaw has taken up arms against wessex, and the fyrd return the call to war!

The fyrd here - mostly just fyrd soldiers with godawful stats but the lord and his huscarl retainer there add a bit of muscle. We hope.

And the viking warband! Though, what's this-?

muffled BFG division playing in the distance

For early moves, my Saxon horseman rode up towards the archer and the shieldmaiden warlord (representing an infantry figure here). I was planning to sit here to force everyone to slow down and break up because of the mobility advantage, but the archer there got a lick in and I lost my nerve and charged him in, and he got mobbed up. Lesson learned.

The Fyrd form a wall - and the viking menace responds in kind.

The melee that develops quickly draws in essentially everyone on the board - the Berserker isn't actually in the fight yet, but more or less everyone else who isn't carrying a bow is, and there's losses all round.

But the fyrd break first in the face of viking fury, fleeing for the hills. And the levied peasants do, but...

The lord won't be beaten that easily! He charges the archer, but is unable to slay him before the vikings return to relieve him.

The entire viking host is now here against the one lord, and he slays the bowman - but, alas, is slain in turn by furious berserker steel.

Victory to the danes! The shieldmaiden returns home with many fine trinkets and tales of derring do to share. Victory to my signifcant other in this one.

Nice game! Which rules did you end up using?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It's Raven Feast from LittlewarsTV - it's pretty simple but also pretty fun. Definitely on the beer and pretzel end, but given it was designed as an introductory wargame I can't complain about that.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just ordered a bunch of Victrix Saxons that I know I won't ever get to play against another living person, but the call of historical fiction books is strong.

At least Saga is a low enough model count game that I can pretend it is possible.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you get two forces you can rope in people a lot easier because it turns into just a board game rather than a commitment

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you get two forces you can rope in people a lot easier because it turns into just a board game rather than a commitment

i basically always do this. i just assume i have to provide literally everything, including a good understanding of the rules (w a few test games played to cement my knowledge natch), to rope people in. they just have to show up

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just ordered a bunch of Victrix Saxons that I know I won't ever get to play against another living person, but the call of historical fiction books is strong.

At least Saga is a low enough model count game that I can pretend it is possible.

The guys I was playing are Saxons there, so, those are some tabletop-acceptable examples of mostly finished pieces.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Another good thing is that for SAGA, a lot of the factions are basically "dudes with or without chainmail wielding spears", so you can get tons of mileage out of two generic looking dark ages armies. SAGA is also close enough to a board game that it might be easier to rope in some people who are more board gamers than wargamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Starting an AWI project with Georgie Dubs himself

3d print from War Bear Studios. They make pretty incredible AWI/FIW stuff.