Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every single village around Chicago has outdoor ice.

Or they used to, before global warming manifested and we get approximately 48 hours of frozen ponds per year. Now they're just puddles. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
The local rink here has drop in hockey during the day for $12, but it's free if you go to the college. Most kids just make up student if numbers and pretend to go to the school, but I didn't know that until the guy who runs it knew my face and that I wasn't a student there.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My local private rink has $6 shinny for 2 hours during the day, and the city-run rinks are I think $4.75 for an hour. The private rink runs regular shinny and beginner shinny, but even beginner shinny has been really fast. Apparently some OHL guys have been hitting the regular shinny so it just puts downward pressure on beginner shinny, which sucks because I don't think the real beginners are comfortable playing it at all.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Doctor Butts posted:

There's an outdoor rink here with open skates during the day an it's only a quarter if you have your own skates.

There's a free outdoor rink in Wicker Park that's a couple blocks from where I live, but it's been oddly above freezing for like the past month.

My foam roller arrived today and holy gently caress this is the most painful thing ever on my sore hip and butt muscles. :cry:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Shooting practice in the basement is paying off! Scored a nice goal on a breakaway tonight exactly where I wanted to put it, and then got a killer slap-pass assist later in the game. Feels good!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I never have to pay for skating ice time because I know the manager of my local rink. I only have to pay for hockey ice time, which I get away with not paying half the time anyway.

Considering we spend so much a month on renting out ice for a couple of hours every week, they must not care if we hop on at other times anymore!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

An old-timer came up to me as I was practicing crossovers during free skate and gave me 5 words of advice that really helped with my balance:

"Stick your rear end out more."

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

An old-timer came up to me as I was practicing crossovers during free skate and gave me 5 words of advice that really helped with my balance:

"Stick your rear end out more."

More coaches need to say this to people.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

YeehawMcKickass posted:

More coaches need to say this to people.

There are some young men who grew up near Penn State who would disagree.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

bigbillystyle posted:

For those of you wearing Tacks, what line of Tacks are you wearing, for how long, and how do you like them?

I've always worn Tacks. I just got the 5092s for Christmas to replace my ancient 452s. The new ones are great. Stiff but not immovable at the ankle, light, and just a bit of extra room in the toe box like I want - the next size down was a bit too short for my foot. Way better heel lock than the old ones, but not uncomfortably so.

I was initially looking at Vapors, but they would've been lace bite hell - I need more volume for the top of my foot. They also felt a bit tight in the heel. I did try on some RBZs mid last year, but they didn't fit as well as the Tacks do - they felt overly floppy and wide.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Doctor Butts posted:

Username/post combo candidate of the year nominations begin right here

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Doctor Butts posted:

Point.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So we decided to play full checking hockey tonight.

I'm a lot better at defence when I can lay a dude out. Definitely better then when I can't hit people.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

dogstile posted:

So we decided to play full checking hockey tonight.

I'm a lot better at defence when I can lay a dude out. Definitely better then when I can't hit people.

Sometimes I think about how fun it would be to play a checking game again for the first time since middle school, but then I remember all the times you'd beat a kid to the puck in the corner only to get slammed from behind into the boards. Of course, there's a good chance that'll happen in beer league when the person chasing you doesn't know how to stop so maybe it would be worth it to be able to hit back.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So the other team's goalie didn't show up tonight. They were supposed to have a sub, but the sub no-showed. We won, but it might be the least satisfying win ever. It's either you win because you're supposed to because come on, or you lose and you just quit hockey forever

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

6-3 win tonight. I nearly got a few chances with tip ins and screens, but the loving goalie was 6'7 and kept giving me some shots in the legs with his sticks. All in good fun though, we both appreciated the battles in front of the net and had some good compliments in the handshake line. I'm not the best skater, passer or shooter but I am crazy enough to park my rear end in front of the net and try to deflect slappers.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
4-1 win tonight against a team we usually lose to. I played center as usual and got an assist is all but I made a dozen great defensive plays. Felt kind of sloppy all night and couldn't get any offense going on my end plus they were a very aggressive team who pressure hard.

One weird thing, the opposing center kept forcibly headbutting me during the face off. I thought it was just incidental but it was every time, and way too hard to not be intentional. If it wasn't a head butt it was a spinning elbow right to my helmet.

Next time I'm going to turn and give him a butt end or an elbow. poo poo was getting annoying.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My first game since June turned into my first two games since June because the 11:30 game after ours needed subs. Thank god for 24-hour drive-thrus.

Getting out of bed today was a Herculean effort.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's a special kind of hunger when you play two games in a row.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pleads posted:

My first game since June turned into my first two games since June because the 11:30 game after ours needed subs. Thank god for 24-hour drive-thrus.

How early did you get there for game 1

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

V for Vegans posted:

Sometimes I think about how fun it would be to play a checking game again for the first time since middle school, but then I remember all the times you'd beat a kid to the puck in the corner only to get slammed from behind into the boards. Of course, there's a good chance that'll happen in beer league when the person chasing you doesn't know how to stop so maybe it would be worth it to be able to hit back.

I mean, that's precisely what happened to me, but to be honest i got to floor him at the blue line as he tried to get into the zone later on so it was definitely worth it.

We know eachother so it was pretty funny.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

15 min because I set my nap alarm for AM instead of PM and woke up 5 mins after I meant to leave. I was having a dream about leaving a garage in a car, brains are weird.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Last night I forgot to mention that I used a new stick I just picked up, the STX Surgeon RX 2.2. I think it's a fantastic stick.

It's their low-end model which was only $100, but it's balanced and responsive like something more mid to high end. The crazy shaft profile they're going with feels really good. I thought it was just another dumb gimmick at first until I actually held one. It's has a grip texture, which I've never been a fan of, but there's only a minimal amount of tackiness compared to other brands I've held. The tack was virtually unnoticeable with my MSH2 palms.

So yeah, STX is onto something good here.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So I'm standing by the leftish post of the opponent's goalie. I see my teammate stake with the puck to the hashmarks, so I assume shot, I tense and ready for anything hitting me. He skates a circle, and their D is pushing me away so I have to circle back to the net. I get back on the left post and look for the play. I see my guy flinging a head hunter not on net, but right at me and I try to duck. Wasn't in time, I catch the puck right behind my right ear. Solid. I'm off balance and the D guy takes the moment to cross check me in the back into the left post.

To say the least I went down awkward and got up slowly. Dudes told me I just ate poo poo after taking the shot in the head.

Part of the ear is black'n'blue as well as a nice lump behind the ear. I'm not sure what part of the helmet took the brunt, but no concussion, at least the brain cells in that part of my head didn't function anyway before the puck.

On the plus side, we got our first 0-0 shutout shootout win, against the dry tryhards.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Pleads posted:

"I had a late game and deserve this t bell late meal."

"I had a late game/early morning and deserve this BK breakfast."

Now to get paid to take my 30 minute poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Both the rinks I skate have a wendy's between the rink and my home.

Double stacks are the premiere post game meal.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Not sure if anyone noticed, but Bauer's parent company was officially sold to it's creditors at Sagard Capital and Fairfax Financial the other week: http://nypost.com/2017/01/26/performance-sports-group-gets-no-bids-at-auction/

There's some confusing ownership details, but essentially Sagard's parent company is also the largest sharehold in Adidas, which owns CCM.

quote:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/could-bauer-bankruptcy-lead-to-higher-equipment-prices

the Quebec-based Power Corporation owns 100 percent of Sagard, the company bidding for PSG. It also owns 65.6 percent of Power Financial (ownership of the of the remaining 34.4 percent has never been made public). Power Financial owns 27.8 percent of Pargesa Holdings, which owns 50 percent of Group Bruxelles Lambert (GBL), which has a 7.2 percent investment in Adidas. GBL is the largest shareholder in Adidas and its investment is worth about $2.6 billion. Adidas, in turn, owns 100 percent of CCM.

One company holds 90% of the hockey equipment market. Probably not great for prices, which are already sky high.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's okay, except for maybe skates all the best gear comes from the small names anyway.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

what small named company makes the best shin guard and elbow pads and helmets (serious question)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

loving hockey hipsters with your non-GMO gluten-free organic farm to table locally sourced athletic apparel.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Look for my artisinal hockey pop-up shop opening up soon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jofa. Wait, that doesn't work anymore. poo poo. Um, reebok.. um, poo poo.

Nevermind, I got nothing.

I guess the best bet for artisanal elbow pads would be tackla? :iiam:

I'm just really grumpy about the CCM and Bauer stuff I bought last spring, it's uncomfortable cheap garbage that is already falling apart. But the eagle gloves I got are loving awesome.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Im going to start restoring vintage reebok and jofa shin guards.

$250/pair.

It's artisinal.

Verman fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 7, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Verman posted:

In going to start restoring vintage reebok and jofa shin guards.

$250/pair.

It's artisinal.

That might be profitable if you did the Jofa helmets, a dude I played with had one and people were always trying to buy it off of him. Then he died* and they made it into an annual good-sportsmanship trophy for the kids league he coached :(

*not of head trauma.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Had a ref call a few of us pussies in the handshake line last night. Never seen that one before. Rink is already pissed at him.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

sellouts posted:

what small named company makes the best shin guard and elbow pads and helmets (serious question)

I've had this guy build me a cage before and intend on having another one done. Great dude and knows a ton about materials, it just doesnt come cheap.

http://www.olympia-composites.com/category-s/114.htm

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Super cool!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Had a ref call a few of us pussies in the handshake line last night. Never seen that one before. Rink is already pissed at him.

did y'all take him a beer or three?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I felt like poo poo on the ice today. It took me like 15 minutes to feel comfortable out there, I was just sluggish overall and got tired faster than usual. I'm getting a lot better at stopping quickly, but crossovers are still giving me a ton of trouble. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

did y'all take him a beer or three?

More like adding that to our ref report for the game. AHD and head ref (who is on our team) told us to write a report to the HD as well, because he's lazy and no one likes him anyway.

gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Artisanal as gently caress but I want one.