Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
In the UK we get a box from Riverford. Excellent quality. The vegetables have got real flavour, and are wonderfully fresh. The potatoes! So good. Seconding about cooking with the seasons and learning about new dishes, but it's great, it enforces trying new things.

BTW, Riverford has really good recipes. Pretty simple but usually with a nice twist or addition that really elevates a dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

The quality of the food was incredible- even better than what I can buy in season at the farmer's market, in most cases.

This wasn't true with the CSA I joined a few years ago. I'd go get my basket, then visit the farmer's market and see that farm selling better-looking, higher quality produce at the market than they put in the basket. Like, I'd get underripe or bruised tomatoes while the unblemished ripe ones went to the market. Everything in the baskets was smaller or more damaged than what was on sale, consistently. Add in the CSA's exorbitant "delivery fee" ($15 per week "for gas" to deliver to one of three pickup sites, charged to all 300 members of the CSA) and it was hard to justify the spending. Instead I go to the market every couple of weeks and spend that $15 of "gas money" directly on the better produce.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
We keep talking about doing a CSA, but both our work schedules are so weird that we would end up wasting a ton of it. Even as it is now, a lot of overly ambitious shopping leads to our neighbors goats eating like kings on all the fruit and veg that we end up wasting.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 31, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bongwizzard posted:

We keep talking about doing a CSA, but both our work schedules are so weird that we would end up wasting a ton of it. Even as it is now, a lot of overly ambitious shopping leads to our neighbors goats eating like kings on all the fruit and veg that we end up wasting.

Solution: Get a pig. Feed it scraps, fertilize a garden with it, eat it, be your own CSA.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Suspect Bucket posted:

Solution: Get a pig. Feed it scraps, fertilize a garden with it, eat it, be your own CSA.

Save some steps, eat the fertilizer. No middle man.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Totally Reasonable posted:

Save some steps, eat the fertilizer. No middle man.

But not as tasty.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Lately for breakfast, instead of Vegemite on my toast, I've been having these Dutch fruit flavoured sprinkles. They're really good! Like, how are they so different in taste and texture from American sprinkles?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Lately for breakfast, instead of Vegemite on my toast, I've been having these Dutch fruit flavoured sprinkles. They're really good! Like, how are they so different in taste and texture from American sprinkles?

Post the ingredients/nutrition panel.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Aren't American sprinkles like 50% carnauba wax?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Squashy Nipples posted:

Aren't American sprinkles like 50% carnauba wax?

Looks like more sugar and cornstarch.

quote:

Sugar, starch, glucose powder, palm kernel oil, soy lecithin, gum arabic, artificial flavor, salt, fd & c colors (may include red #3, red #40, blue #1, yellow #5) and confectioner’s glaze.
https://www.bulkcandystore.com/blue-sprinkles.html#product_tabs_attribute

quote:

Ingredients: Sugar, Cornstarch, Rice Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Cottonseed Soybean), Dextrin, Soya Lecithin, Confectioner's Glaze, FD&C Yellow #6 Lake, FD&C Blue #1 Lake, FD&C Red #40 Lake, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Carnauba Wax
https://www.peppercreekfarms.com/product_info.php?products_id=232

ChairmanGoesWoof
Jul 12, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

Post the ingredients/nutrition panel.

Ingredients that went into the De Ruijter Dutch fruit sprinkles ("The fruitiest!") in my kitchen: Sugar, wheat starch, apple juice 5%, dextrose (glucose syrup?), natural flavouring, colouring agents (E110, E104, E122).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Hm, what's the calories per serving? At a guess they're basically pure sugar, mixed with sugar, mixed with fruit juice (made of sugar). I'd also be curious about their form and shelf life- it sounds like there's no emulsifier in them.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

ChairmanGoesWoof posted:

Ingredients that went into the De Ruijter Dutch fruit sprinkles ("The fruitiest!") in my kitchen: Sugar, wheat starch, apple juice 5%, dextrose (glucose syrup?), natural flavouring, colouring agents (E110, E104, E122).

Those are the same ones I've been eating! Same flavour even! They're so good!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

ChairmanGoesWoof posted:

no corn syrup or soy lectithicithin? hardly candy, even

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

dont forget the partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. you can't have candy speinkles without trans fats

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

OMGVBFLOL posted:

dont forget the partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. you can't have candy speinkles without trans fats

Talking about rrans fats like they are a commodity to do your bidding. Check your cis fat privilege.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

At the risk of starting a food purity argument, I just made a bowl of what I can only describe as porchetta carbonara and it was amazing.

Thanks for reading.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

We don't appreciate talk of the c-word here mister. :mad:

It sounds great.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

nobody calls anything "carbonara" that isn't some variation of "pasta with cured pork" which imo makes it something i wanna eat regardless of ~~~a*u*t*h*e*n*t*i*c*i*t*y~~~

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mine was crackling-rich leftover porchetta, a slice of serrano for tang, provelone and some (gasp!) spinach with the parmesan and egg, on spinach fettucine. It would have benefitted from mushrooms but I didn't have any.

It was probably the best "I have 45 minutes between getting home from work and going out to my next thing and I'm starving lets slap poo poo together" dinner I've ever made.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Mine was crackling-rich leftover porchetta, a slice of serrano for tang, provelone and some (gasp!) spinach with the parmesan and egg, on spinach fettucine. It would have benefitted from mushrooms but I didn't have any.

It was probably the best "I have 45 minutes between getting home from work and going out to my next thing and I'm starving lets slap poo poo together" dinner I've ever made.

Remember when someone's italian grandmother knocks on your door that we tried to save you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MiddleOne posted:

Remember when someone's italian grandmother knocks on your door that we tried to save you.

I'll just feed her and ask her what it's called.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

What's up spoongoons? How have you guys been?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I haven't cooked in months. The groove is gone.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

srs. I havent cooked anything high effort in forever. And now that I have a big boy job it's getting harder and harder to fight off just eating out all the drat time.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pizza is quick and easy and feels as good going into your veins as H

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The epedemic could easily be stopped by having good pizza across the nation but pappa john supplies the cheap cut stuff.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GrAviTy84 posted:

srs. I havent cooked anything high effort in forever. And now that I have a big boy job it's getting harder and harder to fight off just eating out all the drat time.

Get a pork butt and make a porchetta. It takes like 15 minutes of prep and 10 minutes of post slow-cook fiddling to have something beautiful and amazing which will make you want to cook again.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Pizza is quick and easy and feels as good going into your veins as H

Confirmed. Cheat and get pizza dough from the grocery bakery, then you dont have to suffer the painful wait during the rise.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

On the other hand, I've been doing enough crazy cooking that I now have fatty liver disease.

:btroll:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Who's up for some longpig foie gras?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

theres a will theres moe posted:

Who's up for some longpig foie gras?

It's hard to get someone to eat that much acorn meal and corn gruel without them getting suspicious though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

GOOOOOONS! I have a request. I wanna make the best lasagna. Not good lasagna, the loving best. At the moment my bolognese is made like this: https://sortedfood.com/recipe/1067 minus the mushrooms (cause loving weirdos around me apparently hate mushrooms, whatever).

My white sauce is classic 1:1 butter:flour, with full cream milk (the creamiest I can get before it's just cream) and a shitload of cheese. Cheese tends to be cheddar, aged, but I'm looking to expand to ricotta, mozzarella and all that. What can I do to up the oomph and really make the best lasagna ever? I don't have an Italian grandma to learn from sadly.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

GOOOOOONS! I have a request. I wanna make the best lasagna. Not good lasagna, the loving best. At the moment my bolognese is made like this: https://sortedfood.com/recipe/1067 minus the mushrooms (cause loving weirdos around me apparently hate mushrooms, whatever).

My white sauce is classic 1:1 butter:flour, with full cream milk (the creamiest I can get before it's just cream) and a shitload of cheese. Cheese tends to be cheddar, aged, but I'm looking to expand to ricotta, mozzarella and all that. What can I do to up the oomph and really make the best lasagna ever? I don't have an Italian grandma to learn from sadly.

same. i have hosed around and been like "meat sauce white sauce bloop bloop bloop" and it was good eats but it would be cool to get a rundown from someone who does it for a living and/or is italian (native or diaspora, idc)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

syntaxfunction posted:

Ricotta and mozz don't add oomph in lasagna, they take it out. A simple Béchamel is pefectly fine---a grate or two of nutmeg is about all you need to do to punch it up.

The bolognese on the other hand looks pretty tame---meat heavy and full of tomatoes. Which looks more like a generic middle American spaghetti sauce than a bolognese. To me, anyway. I'd at least double the mirepoix. Also go like 50-50 beef and pork with the meat. Then ditch the tomatoes and just use the purée and maybe throw in a dash of fish sauce. Also most traditional bolognese recipes use white, not red, wine.

I'd work on that first---that is, nailing the basic building blocks---before trying to tart the dish up by throwing in more poo poo. A really good lasagna doesn't need to be elaborate.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
What goes on top of the top noodle - bechamel or bolognese?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

sweat poteto posted:

What goes on top of the top noodle - bechamel or bolognese?

both, and then cheese on top.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

SubG posted:

Ricotta and mozz don't add oomph in lasagna, they take it out. A simple Béchamel is pefectly fine---a grate or two of nutmeg is about all you need to do to punch it up.

The bolognese on the other hand looks pretty tame---meat heavy and full of tomatoes. Which looks more like a generic middle American spaghetti sauce than a bolognese. To me, anyway. I'd at least double the mirepoix. Also go like 50-50 beef and pork with the meat. Then ditch the tomatoes and just use the purée and maybe throw in a dash of fish sauce. Also most traditional bolognese recipes use white, not red, wine.

I'd work on that first---that is, nailing the basic building blocks---before trying to tart the dish up by throwing in more poo poo. A really good lasagna doesn't need to be elaborate.

This is a good post. Agh, the internet lied to me. Again. But yeah, I do typically double the mirepoix (Cause who doesn't like their veggies right?) and do 50/50 beef and pork cause pork is delicious. Ditch the tomatoes you say? Would you increase the stock or let it stay the same? With the fish sauce would you do that in place of the Worcestershire sauce? I had no idea about the wine though.

I just put my lasagna in the oven but next time I have a free day I'm totally gonna experiment with what you said.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

syntaxfunction posted:

This is a good post. Agh, the internet lied to me. Again. But yeah, I do typically double the mirepoix (Cause who doesn't like their veggies right?) and do 50/50 beef and pork cause pork is delicious. Ditch the tomatoes you say? Would you increase the stock or let it stay the same? With the fish sauce would you do that in place of the Worcestershire sauce? I had no idea about the wine though.

I just put my lasagna in the oven but next time I have a free day I'm totally gonna experiment with what you said.

here you go for help with your bolognese

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xndufc_in-search-of-perfection-s1e7-spaghetti-bolognese_lifestyle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Thank you mindphlux, you are always helpful!

Edit: I feel like that comment might seem sarcastic but seriously I enjoy most of mindphlux's posts. I don't post here much but I read Something Offal basically every day. Even though mindphlux (and others!) are highly opinionated on some things (you don't like the burger thread? Shame) basically everyone here is super helpful.

Would people mind if I made a thread next time I do lasagna so people can critique and give advice? Not NICSA or anything, just a post about lasagna.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 11, 2017