Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"hey siri hate this song" to dislike a song so I can remember to remove it from my library later

or

"hey siri shuffle all songs" to get it to play music again after I'd previously been watching something on youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Hey Siri text my sister "sup girl?"

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

xzzy posted:

"hey siri hate this song" to dislike a song so I can remember to remove it from my library later

or

"hey siri shuffle all songs" to get it to play music again after I'd previously been watching something on youtube

Yeah, but does this only work in Music?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Endless Mike posted:

As they are trying to say, you can set YOUR accent and SIRI's accent separately.

That is correct. Granted, it may not be perfect and it's not going to help everyone. But it's worth a shot I guess.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Are you from the future

No. I didn't say it worked ALL the time. But I get better performance out of it than it seems most of the people in this thread.

Biggest peeve with Siri is when I ask for the forecast for the day, it just speaks the projected highs and lows. It doesn't say jack if it's going to rain, be excessively windy. Also, it calls a day where the high will be 90+ as "nice."

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I don't use Siri because

1) If it doesn't work and I have to say something again I am so loving furious and disgusted I almost vomit and would just rather type what I need and lose the 3 seconds Siri would have ideally saved me.

2) I am not ready to trust listening devices. poo poo like Alexa keeping logs of everything you've ever said to it freak me the gently caress out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The wrench in the works is if you're operating a vehicle.

Saying "hey siri shuffle all music" a thousand times (each time with slightly different inflection) is still better than unlocking the phone and digging around in Music.app.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I agree with that. I did like Siri for that when I was using it, it was pretty good with Music requests. In the car I'm more into podcasts which, with my commutes usually not taking more than an hour, I don't have to fiddle with too much. Music wise I try to be an Album guy so if I lock and load an album I'm usually OK.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

GoldfishStew posted:

1) If it doesn't work and I have to say something again I am so loving furious and disgusted I almost vomit and would just rather type what I need and lose the 3 seconds Siri would have ideally saved me.

lol :gitgud:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GoldfishStew posted:

2) I am not ready to trust listening devices. poo poo like Alexa keeping logs of everything you've ever said to it freak me the gently caress out.

Does it really? Jesus. Now I'm really glad I didn't get on board with any of this new emerging tech.

I admit I err on the side of "product-ignorant conspiracy theorist" and immediately dismissed stuff like Google Home and Amazon Echo, because the idea of an advertising conglomerate and/or the Internet's Walmart having always-on microphones planted in my house turns me off big time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

GoldfishStew posted:

Seconding this. The only thing Siri gets right for me is setting timers. Everything else I end up repeating myself clearly a few times then giving up and just doing whatever it was manually.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

enojy posted:

Does it really? Jesus. Now I'm really glad I didn't get on board with any of this new emerging tech.

I admit I err on the side of "product-ignorant conspiracy theorist" and immediately dismissed stuff like Google Home and Amazon Echo, because the idea of an advertising conglomerate and/or the Internet's Walmart having always-on microphones planted in my house turns me off big time.

Eh, your fear about the Echo is overblown. People have done security audits and found that while it's always listening for its wake word, it's never recording/transmitting unless the wake word is spoken.

Also, the Echo is surprisingly bullshit free considering the source. You'd expect a device like it to pimp out Amazon stuff all the time, but in fact it never advertises for Amazon, nor does it advertise at all generally. I've heard of some people getting ads from the Podcasts / Flash Briefings they choose to listen to, but none of my Flash Briefings advertise anything.

However, I'd not trust Google Home at all. Google has an awful track record for privacy, and people have already found that their Android phones were waking up and recording poo poo even though nobody said anything close to OK, Google.

Basically, get an Echo and install the Google Search unofficial skill, until someone proves that Amazon is evil.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

It still records all of your conversations and you have to go into your account and manually delete them periodically. And it's always listening (for a wake word, sure) and connected to the internet. Do you really trust that? even if amazon is on the up and up, it's a potential risk to other nefarious people or companies. Is it really that hard to order more paper towels on your phone?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doesn't really matter because we're not obligated to have any of these devices in our home. Let the people who accept the risk live in peace and everyone else can fret about whether their tinfoil hat is thick enough.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Biggest peeve with Siri is when I ask for the forecast for the day, it just speaks the projected highs and lows. It doesn't say jack if it's going to rain, be excessively windy. Also, it calls a day where the high will be 90+ as "nice."

Ugh, seriously, the weather report is useless. I've even tried phrasing it in a few ways and it doesn't seem to ever give me what I want. I feel like it used to be better, too...

I mostly use Siri for setting timers, alarms, and reminders.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
When set to English UK I get a choice of accents, when set to English (Irish) there's no Siri accent choice. That's such a weird thing to block since they're all English language choices.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

god drat is Siri that bad or is this just a "lol apple maps amirightguys?" It's me I'm the guy that has used apple maps since its inception with no issue

I mean yeah Siri can get frustrating, but the gently caress y'all want it to do? 🤔 does the basic poo poo I need well for when I seldom use it

I know it probably won't happen but the lack of Siri Spotify features is lame :(

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 26, 2017

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I use apple maps all the time too, except when I am in a time crunch. I live in LA and Google Maps consistently beats Apple Maps, the estimates and travel time by 15-30 minutes. I would love to take Google Maps off my phone, but if I'm in a rush, that time difference is too big. Maybe that's not your experience or maybe you aren't one to one'ing the apps on a regular basis, but I am. Apple maps is superior in every way except exactly what it was designed to do.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

fourwood posted:

Ugh, seriously, the weather report is useless. I've even tried phrasing it in a few ways and it doesn't seem to ever give me what I want. I feel like it used to be better, too...

I mostly use Siri for setting timers, alarms, and reminders.

Seems to work for me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

^ lol yeah idk what they're on about asking Siri for the weather is like the basis of its use and features

I haven't noticed that drastic of a difference between the two. Apple just needs to buy Waze already and integrate it if they haven't started already. Is google doing that?

I mean I don't drive a ton, but for my needs, apple maps works great. I'm not sure if it's true, but I remember reading that google maps will purposefully give you longer alternate routes to help with their data/estimates/etc

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The thing I find frustrating about Siri is how Apple just doesn't update it enough to keep up with what we're coming to expect from voice assistants. The integration within iOS is great but the lack of commands and voice recognition that falls short of Google and Amazon's offerings really hinders it.

Google does really neat stuff with Google Now/Assistant because 1) it's constantly being updated to work with new commands and 2) it's deeply embedded within the OS. Having both of those is great but lacking either cuts 75% of the potential.

I find the opposite happening with Alexa/Google Now on iOS. The commands they can do are great but I've always got to get their apps open to use them.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Isn't the lack of non-apple integration etc just largely an issue of licensing and legality?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Isn't the lack of non-apple integration etc just largely an issue of licensing and legality?

No, it's due to Apple favoring their own Apps, and not yet publishing an API to make it possible.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

^ lol yeah idk what they're on about asking Siri for the weather is like the basis of its use and features

I haven't noticed that drastic of a difference between the two. Apple just needs to buy Waze already and integrate it if they haven't started already. Is google doing that?

I mean I don't drive a ton, but for my needs, apple maps works great. I'm not sure if it's true, but I remember reading that google maps will purposefully give you longer alternate routes to help with their data/estimates/etc

Google bought Waze like two or three years ago.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

oh 🤷🏽‍♀️

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait so what are people using google/amazon to do that can't be done on Siri (other than ordering poo poo on amazon)? I don't know what I'm missing out on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Google Now can process contextual information and questions much better than Siri because Siri doesn't really store any user data.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Why does Siri need extra time between the activation phrase and your question? I get that all the language processing is done remotely, but other digital assistants don't seem to have that problem. I can say, "Alexa, blahblahblah" and we're communicating in a relatively natural way. With Siri I have to say, "Hey Siri". Then wait. Siri beeps and then I can ask my question. It's jarring and hasn't seemed to improve since my iPhone 4s.

I think I posted this before, but I was trying to show my nephew how Siri worked so I was asking it how tall various celebrities were. It worked alright until I got to Arnold Schwarzenegger. And then Siri got racist.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Krispy Kareem posted:

Why does Siri need extra time between the activation phrase and your question? I get that all the language processing is done remotely, but other digital assistants don't seem to have that problem. I can say, "Alexa, blahblahblah" and we're communicating in a relatively natural way. With Siri I have to say, "Hey Siri". Then wait. Siri beeps and then I can ask my question. It's jarring and hasn't seemed to improve since my iPhone 4s.

I think I posted this before, but I was trying to show my nephew how Siri worked so I was asking it how tall various celebrities were. It worked alright until I got to Arnold Schwarzenegger. And then Siri got racist.

You need zero extra time between "Hey Siri" and your commands, you've been using it wrong. It will not acknowledge you until after you've said some stuff, but she'll process it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah Siri is pretty awful and I still cant get over that it needs internet to work, because it seems like I always need to use Siri when I'm in a wifi/4g border zone. I hope it gets a much needed update this year at WWDC or that one September event when iPhones get announced. Nowadays I only trust siri to place phonecalls, since I have the Phone app buried somewhere deep in a Misc folder.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Michael Scott posted:

You need zero extra time between "Hey Siri" and your commands, you've been using it wrong. It will not acknowledge you until after you've said some stuff, but she'll process it.

It doesn't seem to work like that for me, but I'll give it another shot. I still need to configure Siri after a recent phone reset. I've come to rely on it that little. The idea of a Siri-enabled home appliance barely registers on my interest scale.

I kind of want to try Irish Siri now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hey Siri works fine until I'm in my car with Bluetooth and then she can't get anything right.

How do you tell Siri to play an artist and just shuffle their whole catalog? Or is that not a thing? I can tell her to play songs fine, but she ignores bands/albums.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
"Shuffle my songs by <band name>" seems to work for me.

Leaving out the "my" seems to switch it to popular songs by <band name> if you have an Apple Music sub.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

From what I remember reading in this thread the music playing voice commands are oddly specific, so probably find a guide etc

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

From what I remember reading in this thread the music playing voice commands are oddly specific, so probably find a guide etc

Just make sure it's a recent one because every time Apple releases a new major version of iOS, the commands change slightly!

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Question Mark Mound posted:

When set to English UK I get a choice of accents, when set to English (Irish) there's no Siri accent choice. That's such a weird thing to block since they're all English language choices.

Yeah it's not surprising to me that something speech-based is also very heavily regional/accent dependent. If you hate how irish siri sounds I don't know if there's a lot that can be done for you :shrug:

Laserface posted:

Hey Siri works fine until I'm in my car with Bluetooth and then she can't get anything right.

How do you tell Siri to play an artist and just shuffle their whole catalog? Or is that not a thing? I can tell her to play songs fine, but she ignores bands/albums.

If your car is anything like my parents' Prius or my car headunit, the in-car microphone is atrocious :(

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Laserface posted:

Try this: hold down the home button when you're in the car with BT active. After Siri activates, there will be a little icon on the bottom right. Tap that then select your phone's mic instead of your car's. Car mics are usually non-ideal for Siri. Might work better?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
move to ios app is rear end

wtf I've tried setting it in airplane mode still nothing

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

buglord posted:

Yeah Siri is pretty awful and I still cant get over that it needs internet to work, because it seems like I always need to use Siri when I'm in a wifi/4g border zone. I hope it gets a much needed update this year at WWDC or that one September event when iPhones get announced. Nowadays I only trust siri to place phonecalls, since I have the Phone app buried somewhere deep in a Misc folder.

Yeah, very strange that something that searches the internet needs the internet to function.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, very strange that something that searches the internet needs the internet to function.

Nah I mean for the times I use Siri to set a timer or send off a text. I dunno how the heavy lifting of voice recognition works but it always bothers me that Siri derps out on anything less than 4G. I don't really live in an area with consistent signal so I notice it a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EVERY voice recognition system offloads the actual recognition work to the cloud. None of them work without internet connectivity.