Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Evilreaver posted:

gone, anyone got a pic?

It’s just a pic of Poison Ivy as a raid boss you have to beat to celebrate pride I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gaius Marius posted:

The tagline is literally "Taste the Rainbow" The clear authorial intent behind the act of consuming skittles is to taste them in the order inherent to a rainbow. By consuming the Excess you're robbing yourself of the intended experience. You've cheated not only yourself, but the work of all the people who worked to create the flavor medium.

A rainbow does not consist of discrete colours; It is instead a continuous spectrum wherein the red gets slowly yellower until we would call it "orange", the orange gets yellower until its definitely yellow, which gets greener... And so on, I'm not going to go through the whole thing. Therefore to taste the rainbow you must melt together the skittles into a continuous bar in order red-orange-yellow-green-blue-indigo-violet. Sadly this requires buying non-standard bags, as the basic bitch red bag does not have blue or indigo. I'm willing to let indigo slide but a blue really is fundamental.

Of course to TRULY taste the rainbow you would also need to obtain Infra Red and Ultra Violet, the forbidden skittles, and put them on the ends. IIRC their flavours are respectively Ennui and Caribbean Fruit Punch.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Evilreaver posted:

gone, anyone got a pic?

It was something about telling players how many times she had been beaten for the event and asking players to keep going.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Hell of a way to celebrate Stonewall.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Silver Falcon posted:

If anybody is wondering, and afraid to ask, the reason the six-stripe flag is not the way to go in 2021 is because the six-stripe pride flag is regarded as outdated. Modern pride flags are more inclusive.

I asked some of my LGBTQ+ friends about it and that's the gist of what they told me.

Thank you, I was wondering but not nearly cool enough to ask.

Haifisch posted:

For added clarification: Most of us aren't going to judge individual people for using the classic rainbow flag or anything but there's a push for ones that acknowledge trans people and/or POC(who historically have been sidelined in discussions about queer people/queer culture), generally one of these two:

(Progress Pride flag)

(Philly Pride flag)
Disney's getting justifiably shat on more every year they do Pride stuff while refusing to put explicitly queer characters in movies/cartoons/etc so they don't lose precious profits from Russia and other similarly homophobic countries. It's great. :allears:

Thank you also for the newer flags.

Also, I thought it was just a China thing, the whole Disney matter. I think apart from the dozen or so oligarchs that control all the money, no one in Russia has two kopeks to rub together.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Less that and more that pirating the content is something of a national pastime, so entering the market is a pretty questionable decision when everyone already has your product.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC Steam actually cleaned up in Russia by actually making the stuff legally available at affordable prices, not a ridiculous markup like everything else. (see also why Australians rampantly pirate)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I watched Coupling on PBS as a teenager and thought it was so edgy and adult and amazing but I've very specifically avoided it since then because I'm sure it's awful and very of its time and I don't want to besmirch those gentle memories
Same. I'm pretty sure it's actually terrible, but I don't need to verify that. I'll just leave it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Extreme "getting all the video game characters together for a huge party" energy coming off this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC Steam actually cleaned up in Russia by actually making the stuff legally available at affordable prices, not a ridiculous markup like everything else. (see also why Australians rampantly pirate)

A thing media companies are eager to get on board with, as evidenced by the fragmentation of streaming platforms in lieu of just using a couple!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Volmarias posted:

A thing media companies are eager to get on board with, as evidenced by the fragmentation of streaming platforms in lieu of just using a couple!

The thing to remember about streaming fragmentation is that a lot of the current pain is attributable to the fact that media companies aren’t exactly nimble.

So as short-sighted and long-lived exclusivity deals start expiring, and as companies and services merge in an overall consolidation of the media landscape (see Disney+Fox, and Warner+Discovery), it’ll settle down again. The halcyon days of “Oh gently caress, we don’t have a streaming service, better just sell this poo poo to Netflix so we can all get our new yachts this year” are over, but the trend, slowly but surely, is towards simplicity.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Blue Moonlight posted:

The thing to remember about streaming fragmentation is that a lot of the current pain is attributable to the fact that media companies aren’t exactly nimble.

So as short-sighted and long-lived exclusivity deals start expiring, and as companies and services merge in an overall consolidation of the media landscape (see Disney+Fox, and Warner+Discovery), it’ll settle down again. The halcyon days of “Oh gently caress, we don’t have a streaming service, better just sell this poo poo to Netflix so we can all get our new yachts this year” are over, but the trend, slowly but surely, is towards simplicity.

This is not a pleasing thought either.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They're calling the bluff of every person who said they'd love to pick up $75 a month of a la carte cable channels instead of the $150 mega pack of 900 garbage channels and 3 good ones. Looking at what we say we want or expect we can get, this fragmentation is the stable part inbetween the monopolization or consolidation of market disruption.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm half-expecting a cycle where things get fragmented, piracy goes up because nobody wants to deal with that, someone gets the "innovative" idea of consolidating everything since convenience is a proven way to get people to pay you instead of pirate, then a couple years later media companies start thinking they could get a bigger cut with their own service, rinse and repeat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The current streaming model is a mess but I still feel it's better than where we were with cable. You can sign up and cancel each service whenever you want. No contracts. The streaming device costs around $30-$40 and is a fraction of the size of a fuckin' cable box. You can stream in 4k, while cable is still only 1080i. And best of all, you can use friend's accounts with zero consequences.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Detective No. 27 posted:

And best of all, you can use friend's accounts with zero consequences.

Can’t wait until Comcast et al. successfully lobbies to make this a federal wire fraud charge, cause I feel like that is definitely coming with the corporatization of America

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

zedprime posted:

They're calling the bluff of every person who said they'd love to pick up $75 a month of a la carte cable channels instead of the $150 mega pack of 900 garbage channels and 3 good ones. Looking at what we say we want or expect we can get, this fragmentation is the stable part inbetween the monopolization or consolidation of market disruption.

Sure, but that $75 is now added to the $75 internet subscription.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Volmarias posted:

Sure, but that $75 is now added to the $75 internet subscription.

*Astronaut holding gun* Always has been.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just love the childlike innocence of me and many others in 2009 who thought that in the future all you would need was an internet connection and a Netflix subscription and you'd get all the content you needed.

Also how we believed that Netflix would shake up the market in a way that affordable a la carte cable was right around the corner.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was really nice when everyone was throwing their content on Netflix.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
To an extent, the current streaming environment is worse than cable services with channel deals. At least to my understanding, the channel bundles were usually by topic or genre; if you don't care about sport or food, but do want entertainment, that's easy, even if it's not cheap and has a bunch of junk.

Now, it's... pretty hosed. Netflix has a bit of everything, Hulu has a bit of everything, Disney+ has a bit of everything, whatever your weird local streaming services are have a bit of everything. There's niche services like Crunchyroll, Discovery, and Shudder, but most of the big-deal stuff you're looking for in any of those niches is going to be on one of the big and more general services.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 05:51 on Jun 5, 2021

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Cleretic posted:

To an extent, the current streaming environment is worse than cable services with channel deals. At least to my understanding, the channel bundles were usually by topic or genre; if you don't care about sport or food, but do want entertainment, that's easy, even if it's not cheap and has a bunch of junk.

Now, it's... pretty hosed. Netflix has a bit of everything, Hulu has a bit of everything, Disney+ has a bit of everything, whatever your weird local streaming services are have a bit of everything. There's niche services like Crunchyroll, Discovery, and Shudder, but most of the big-deal stuff you're looking for in any of those niches is going to be on one of the big and more general services.

Xfinity had Turner Classic Movies in the sports package for ages. Even when it wasn't that nonsensical, every tier had 3 channels you wanted and roughly 70 you would never watch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nah, the channel deals were a racket. The one channel you'd want would be bundled with twenty you didn't want. And that niche channel you like inevitably loses focus and starts airing broader programming to appeal to new a wider audience, phasing out the stuff they were known for.

Also you'd have to sit through at least 10 minutes of commercials for every half hour show. Miss out on that new episode? Who knows if and when they'll air it again. You might not even miss the episode due to any fault of your own because your cable company is having a spat with the network and yanks the channel while they renegotiate.

The streaming situation is far from perfect but it's leagues better than cable.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
A lot of how cable TV's set up is knowing people are only after a handful of channels, so you get charged out the nose for them and the other channels are basically just there for the illusion of value. Bonus points for the channels that are even more disproportionately expensive because they charge(d) the cable companies a lot to have the right to air them.

See also: Literally everything about how sports broadcasting is done. There's a reason "ESPN alone is $(a sixth or something, I don't feel like googling it) of your cable package!" was floating around so much years ago, and why all sorts of poorly thought out contracts were made assuming that surely nothing would ever shake up the status quo where people who don't watch sports are basically forced to subsidize people who do.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

An annoying marketing thing I hate about 'cable' TV is how they advertise for themselves on themselves.

It happens with Foxtel here in Australia. I have a Foxtel subscription, (mainly for the football and cricket channels, but I also sometimes like to skim the others to see if there is anything interesting. There rarely is.) And during the ads, (which piss me off in the first place. The whole point of paying for TV Channels is so you don't have to watch ads like on the free-to-air channels), half of them are for Foxtel stuff. And not even "hey, you should upgrade and pay us more!", which whilst lovely, I could understand as a marketing concept. More like "Hey, you who are already paying for Foxtel, look at the great shows you could have if you were paying for Foxtel. Which you are, because we are advertising on Foxtel." It's pointless and annoying.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume ad spots are pre-planned, any any that don't get filled with paid advertising default to self-advertising.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume ad spots are pre-planned, any any that don't get filled with paid advertising default to self-advertising.

I do wonder though, back when I had cable/dish like 10 years ago, it seemed that some ads would interrupt other ads. You’d think they’d have had that part down.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Everything I ever saw about cable bundles said that they were set up for max inconvenience. If they had 25 channels and five viewer profiles with 5 channels for each of them, they wouldn't do a package per profile, they'd make every package have one channel per profile so everyone would order more packages.

So like I remember that Sports, Home and Garden, Discovery, Comedy, and a kids channel we're one package.

And then the fuckers had the gall to say "something for everyone!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Volcott posted:

Xfinity had Turner Classic Movies in the sports package for ages. Even when it wasn't that nonsensical, every tier had 3 channels you wanted and roughly 70 you would never watch.

I know that when it started FXX was in sports packages because it was a rebooted version of an underperforming sports channel.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Just got a package from Ukraine! Ooh, there's a little leaflet inside!

Didn't show that to anyone from britain I'm guessing.

Unkempt has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Jun 8, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Probably not. I’m American and it took me a bit to put together what was wrong with it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is packy a slur or something?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nitrox posted:

no but the first four letters of pakistani are

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nitrox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84burI5cXGM

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Alaois posted:

no but the first four letters of pakistani are
And they sound the same as 'packy' said aloud.

(I'm also American and wouldn't have gotten it without the 'didn't run it past any british people' comment)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I encountered a YouTube video about the "Jewish American Princess" trope in media, and they kept referring to characters by the acronym. Which they pronounced in the same way as the old slur for Japanese people, and it was very uncomfortable and awkward.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Please help, the brands need you!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Please help, the brands need you!

Hahaha the sex number and the weed number lololololololol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I live in CT where we colloquially called package stores (liquor stores) "packies" until we were all informed some time in 2009 that we should maybe not do that.