Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Garou nationalities pose something of a challenge, and it'd be an interesting issue to have come up in a WtA or MtA Technocracy game. There are plenty of Garou who's births have to be kept a total secret from the outside world (metis, primarily) or who just won't be on anyone's books (lupus). These Garou thus do not possess conventional citizenship and nationality - no birth certificates, no proof of their existence or chain of records, which is a Problem when it comes time for them to function as garou unless they're in the deep woods or sticking to inner-bawn duties.

This leads me to the seed of a chronicle NPC: The Garou Identity Fixer. A forger and hacker who's only job is creating 'real' (or at least good-as) identity trails for Metis and Lupus Garou, as well as Homid Garou who need to go off-book or move between countries without notice. The natural enemy, of course, is an ITX statistician who's noticed an odd pattern around certain 'signature' points of an identity thief's activity and spikes in supernatural activity, but who hasn't been able to get their superiors to notice the signal in the noise of perfectly mundane (or, for that matter, Syndicate-sanctioned) identity theft/creation. Cue the race to outsmart each other, kill the other, or disappear to avoid the heat each side is bringing down on the other, with the PCs acting as the eyes and teeth of one side or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In one game we had a Glass Walker who thought as you did, Loomer. Their main Ally was a data person who'd fix records and such so a metis could pay their electric bill and such.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

In one game we had a Glass Walker who thought as you did, Loomer. Their main Ally was a data person who'd fix records and such so a metis could pay their electric bill and such.
Tired: Pay your electric bill to Pentex.
Wired: Imbue an electricity spirit into a fetish that provides free power to the caern and neighboring buildings.
Inspired: Convince the Dinosaur Kings to pull their remains deeper into the Earth, cutting off the profit flow for coal miners.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Galaxy Brain: Purify the spiritual archetype of coal so that clean coal stops being a lie and becomes possible, then talk it into an alliance with the personified spiritual archetype of the International Labour Organization and the Incarna of the Union Worker to break the capitalist stranglehold over energy production.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Loomer posted:

Galaxy Brain: Purify the spiritual archetype of coal so that clean coal stops being a lie and becomes possible, then talk it into an alliance with the personified spiritual archetype of the International Labour Organization and the Incarna of the Union Worker to break the capitalist stranglehold over energy production.

Garou: this is hard, is there an easier way to fix it? maybe apply some more violence?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Well, there's always punching the Wyrm Incarna of Hurricane Katrina in the face a bunch like BNS did.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Speaking of CtL: has anyone ever fixed Talecrafting? Or at least ported it to 2e?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Loomer posted:

Well, there's always punching the Wyrm Incarna of Hurricane Katrina in the face a bunch like BNS did.

really a bummer I dunno if this is a joke or not

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

really a bummer I dunno if this is a joke or not

I would put nothing past By Night Studios. In fact I'm going to figure it's true.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I found out (from a podcast, oddly) that there's an OWBN game in my town and from my posts about playing in the MES you know I have a tolerance for org bullshit but at least the MES resets semi-regularly and goes out of their way to create documentation for the current chronicle's setting and how it differs from the books. OWBN has this enormous, twenty-one year, mostly useless timeline and this collection of a half-dozen events from canon and what the status of these events in OWBN is. There's all kinds of stuff referenced in other documents that has no readily apparent documentation anywhere. I'm tempted to ask how OWBN intends to recruit new players but I kind of get the impression that "new players" isn't a strong priority for them.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Princes blood hunting Justicars? The gently caress is this poo poo?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Loomer posted:

I think it's a blood hunt because HE killed a Justicar? Which is also nuts because I actually remember Xaviar the Gangrel as a canon figure because he embodied peak Gangrel.txt to me, and his entire thing was being an rear end in a top hat who always wanted to (and I think eventually did) split from the Camarilla because he actively believed in and hunted Antediluvians...making him a real poo poo Justicar because their whole thing is rigid and ironclad upholding of Camarilla traditions.

So a global blood hunt over him is nuts because that's...not a thing? I assume they mean he got put on the Red List but that, ya know, only applies to Camarilla territory, you can just hang in Mexico and keep a low profile to hide out. The idea that the Camarilla would do some massive overreach like that over the Actual Worst Justicar is so snowflakey I'm 100% sure without googling that the guy who iced Xaviar is a PC who's probably friends with the ST.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
No, section 5. "It is legal in the Camarilla for Princes to blood hunt Justicars. "

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Loomer posted:

Probably some jackass character, who was most likely played by an insufferable jackass, got the position, abused their power, and the higher ups said local games could off them if they got too out of hand.

Club games are weird like that in that dumb stuff happens, they can't just say no to things for a number of reasons because of politics, and they come up with a "silver bullet" to stop it. It's like when CCG's won't have a ban list and just come out with hard counter cards instead of just fixing the problem at the source.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Loomer posted:

No, section 5. "It is legal in the Camarilla for Princes to blood hunt Justicars. "

Lol God I assumed the wrong section of that mess. Yea what the hell indeed.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It is, however, illegal to call a Blood Hunt on Theo Bell if his player controls a Prince of Justicar.

It's on his card after all.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
drat, something like 4000 of the Garou entries are Unnamed - something around 40% of the total.

EDIT:
Still some pruning and additions to make but I've got it to the point where I can do the first count of tribes et al.

The tribe most likely to defect to the Black Spirals are the Black Furies. Garou make up about 85% of the non-kin, non-pop ratio to 15% of the fera. Of the Garou proper, 13% are undifferentiated Garou, 10% are BSDs, 9% Get, 8% Bone Gnawers and Glass Walkers, 7% Uktena, 6% Fianna, 5% Black Furies, Children of Gaia, Red Talons, Shadow Lords, Silver Fangs and Wendigo, 4% Stargazer, and 3% Strider.

Where breed is known (excluding likely lupus and homids in the RTs and GWs), the breakdown is about 50% Homid, 30% Lupus, and 20% Homid. Rather importantly, only 3% of the Garou are meant to be Lupus so of our known-breed sample, they're ten times as well represented as they should be.

Of Garou with known auspices, the breakdown is something like 23% Ahroun, 19% Galliard, 18% Philodox, 18% Ragabash, 22% Theurge, and .128% Eclipse born. Now, this should be completely wrong since Ahrouns are born only during the full moon and Ragabash on the new moon, but. Garou were created as spirit-soldiers, so it makes sense to me that we might actually observe a bias towards Ahroun and Theurge beyond just disproportionate representation due to Luna deciding when and where to trigger their birth, rather than it being mere chance.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 26, 2018

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Section 7: Assamites Join the Camarilla posted:

2. It is understood that "full membership" shall not be immediate, but a goal to be worked towards, in character, by PCs and their storytellers, for which Council has granted permission. In the interim, "probationary membership" shall be the rule.
3. "Full membership" shall be granted in OWBN at such a time as is appropriate to the story, such as, but not limited to, White Wolf announcing the appointment of an Assamite Justicar or when events in OWBN naturally lead to a lack of justification for keeping Clan Assamite on probation.

This is the hardest-head, pettiest poo poo. Okay, the Assamites are part of the Camarilla now, but you've got to earn it so you're on probation until a satisfying, thematically appropriate moment, like If a Book Says a Guy Gets Appointed.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

So which splats actually have fully-released 2nd edition books as opposed to kickstarter texts or just nothing at all?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

UrbicaMortis posted:

So which splats actually have fully-released 2nd edition books as opposed to kickstarter texts or just nothing at all?

You can buy finished second edition copies of Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Promethean, Demon, and the mortal-focused Chronicles of Darkness "bluebook" off DrivethruRPG now, as PDFs or print-on-demand hardcovers. (A PDF of Promethean gets cut down by the current sale to USD $6, a PDF of Demon down to $7.50.) A reminder that you don't actually need the bluebook because the 2e cores, minus Demon, contain standalone rules. Demon still requires a bluebook of either edition, or some other 2e core, to fill in the blanks.

Changeling backers currently have the pre-finalized version of the second edition PDF, with laid out text and illustrations.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 26, 2018

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Loomer posted:

The tribe most likely to defect to the Black Spirals are the Black Furies. Garou make up about 85% of the non-kin, non-pop ratio to 15% of the fera. Of the Garou proper, 13% are undifferentiated Garou, 10% are BSDs, 9% Get, 8% Bone Gnawers and Glass Walkers, 7% Uktena, 6% Fianna, 5% Black Furies, Children of Gaia, Red Talons, Shadow Lords, Silver Fangs and Wendigo, 4% Stargazer, and 3% Strider.

Where breed is known (excluding likely lupus and homids in the RTs and GWs), the breakdown is about 50% Homid, 30% Lupus, and 20% Homid. Rather importantly, only 3% of the Garou are meant to be Lupus so of our known-breed sample, they're ten times as well represented as they should be.

Is that second 20% Homid meant to be Metis?

And my personal headcannon is that the majority of those undifferentiated/unnamed Garou are actually Bone Gnawers.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Oh my word I did not realize that MES and OWbN were different orgs. What happened there, does anyone know?

(how many Nightwish CDs were stolen by now-ex-best-friends?)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Oh my word I did not realize that MES and OWbN were different orgs. What happened there, does anyone know?

(how many Nightwish CDs were stolen by now-ex-best-friends?)

They were never the same org, they developed independently.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Loomer posted:

As someone who's played a lot of OWBN over the years, what is legal and what will get you dead as all hell have significant overlap, particularly when it comes to PCs who think they're a bigshot in Ohio trying to pick fights with big setting NPCs.

And yeah, they never were the same organization, though MES at one point tried to force OWBN to join with a threat of a lawsuit.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
So, wait, then what's the difference between MES and OWbN?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The MES, formerly The Camarilla, used to be the official live-action org, independent but with ties to White Wolf. One World By Night is a separate org that formed around the same time. The Cam/MES takes a very top-down, tiered approach where everybody is on the same ruleset as decided by the org, which has a structure of Domain -> Regional -> National, with Storytellers (responsible for rules, setting, and global-level plots, as well as being able to veto poo poo that gets too wacky at lower levels) and Coordinators (responsible for securing venues, mediating interpersonal disputes, handling money, and other administrative business) at each level. OWBN, by contrast, mostly leaves house rules up to the local games and has a Council comprised of one representative from each affiliated game that can vote on the kind of stuff the MES Coordinator/Storyteller hierarchies handle.

The other big thing between them is that, like I say, you can very easily go on the MES's website and find out exactly what the premise of the current five-year chronicle is, what modifications to the book rules and setting are in effect, and so on. For OWBN I can't find any kind of "here's what's up with our setting" documents other than that useless timeline, and there's as many houserules documents as there are local games.

Yessod posted:

And yeah, they never were the same organization, though MES at one point tried to force OWBN to join with a threat of a lawsuit.

This isn't *quite* right. Back around 2003 or so, I think at the same time they got sick of The Cam being a private organization just soaking in their IP and forcibly took over the Cam and brought it in-house, White Wolf announced that any game which charged money for attendance would be required to join The Camarilla and kick some of that money upstairs. This led to a massive backlash, both because collecting money to pay for venues is basically universal at WoD LARPs and because lots of people quite justifiably hate the Cam. Eventually WW backed down rather than do further damage to a LARP scene that was already starting to fade out, and later spun off the Cam as the Mind's Eye Society, which inherited all the old Camarilla IT resources and databases and such.

(as a post-script I think naming a larp org "the mess" is just too perfect and the fact that it's the Cam is even better)

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Didn't the cam try to do some goofy poo poo like claim legal rights to the WW IP around that time as well, which is part of what prompted the takeover?

I remember our local LARP was considering joining OWBN right about the time all this blew up, and deciding we didn't want to deal with whatever mess was going to result, as the local OWBN guys were predicting the organization was going to get dragged into it. Though the local setting having an abomination prince and like, 2 other vampire-werewolves running around didn't help matters much.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

This isn't *quite* right. Back around 2003 or so, I think at the same time they got sick of The Cam being a private organization just soaking in their IP and forcibly took over the Cam and brought it in-house, White Wolf announced that any game which charged money for attendance would be required to join The Camarilla and kick some of that money upstairs. This led to a massive backlash, both because collecting money to pay for venues is basically universal at WoD LARPs and because lots of people quite justifiably hate the Cam. Eventually WW backed down rather than do further damage to a LARP scene that was already starting to fade out, and later spun off the Cam as the Mind's Eye Society, which inherited all the old Camarilla IT resources and databases and such.

(as a post-script I think naming a larp org "the mess" is just too perfect and the fact that it's the Cam is even better)

White Wolf absorbed the Camarilla after they tried to sue White Wolf for partial ownership of the IP. They got laughed out of court and White Wolf put the hammer down.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Ah , yeah, that was it, the utter apex of nerds who think enjoying something means they own it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

White Wolf absorbed the Camarilla after they tried to sue White Wolf for partial ownership of the IP. They got laughed out of court and White Wolf put the hammer down.

Oh, man. I'd forgotten about that. Just what claim did they think they ever had, I wonder?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, man. I'd forgotten about that. Just what claim did they think they ever had, I wonder?
Without knowing anything about any of this, I'm betting it's some fantastically SovCit-quality argument like "I made a character for this game and have used it in other people's games, ergo my character is an indelible part of the game, therefore I own a part of the game! And because there are dozens of us (dozens!) collectively we own a huge part of the game!"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
(Triumphantly pointing to a highlighted section of an early not-for-release copy of the Bone Gnawer's tribe book) Squatter's rights. :smug:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'm pretty sure it was along the lines of "we've done so much work developing this world that is as much ours as it is yours!", which is a popular delusion among a certain kind of nerd.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Is there a bj zanzibar for CoD? I have a poo poo hard time creating gifts for my WtF players, especially since I'm still really unfocused on what purity facets should do.

http://wodcodex.com/wiki/Main_Page

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

citybeatnik posted:

Is that second 20% Homid meant to be Metis?

And my personal headcannon is that the majority of those undifferentiated/unnamed Garou are actually Bone Gnawers.

It is, yes. Whoops.

EDIT:
Merging always involves judgment calls. Right now I'm distributing casualties from the 1997 Second Battle of Kursk among Russia's Garou by proportion of Russia's overall population - but that's just for ease of use. But for it to be counted and not double counted, they do need to be distributed somewhere, so the question then becomes how and where. A more in depth distribution might consider level of involvement in the Garou Nation-Baba Yaga War of 1992-1999 by tribe, or a purely random distribution could be used. The reality of course is that we will never quite have a satisfying answer with the available information - and for that matter, the Garou involvement in Under a Blood Red Moon (the Chicago Principate-Garou Nation War of 1993) is impossible to quantify with the exception of the 50% of combatants killed in Minnesota, who we can safely assume exclude any subsequently appearing Garou like King Jonas Albrecht. This, however, means that the remaining 50% may in fact be double counts - Albrecht may very well have been present during the conflict and survived, as might Spotlight from NYC or Silence-Covering-the-Sky. The question then becomes is it better to nocount or risk a double count for those garou?

Loomer fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 27, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
werewolves vs baba yaga sounds like a hell of a cage match, how did ww gently caress it up :v

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Tollymain posted:

werewolves vs baba yaga sounds like a hell of a cage match, how did ww gently caress it up :v

WW has consistently proven to not be Mike Mignola, to all our detriment.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tollymain posted:

I don't know, let's take a look at the other edition and gameline spanning metaplotline to see how it might turn out.
*Opens up a book labeled "Sam Haight", unleashing a bunch of screaming ghostly skulls that fly around the room.*
Oh whoops, I unleashed the specters of crossover!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I actually don't know who Sam Haight is. I recognize the name from its use in this thread, but I don't really know anything about the character or the plots/games he was in and am curious. Is this one of those fascinatingly horrible stories, or is it something I should count myself fortunate to be ignorant of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Sam Haight is an ashtray that used to be a werewolf-mage-vampire and, to be honest, I’m not sure if he was ever earnestly portrayed or if he was a joke about being a multisplat badass from the jump.