Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

After talking to some people I know who work in the Vancouver real estate industry, I have some thoughts and wonder what you think.

The 15% Foreign Purchase tax was implemented in a huge hurry to go in effect on August 2nd. This tax seemed to come out of nowhere, something which people even discussed in the thread. The thing is, August is the slowest month for real estate sales every single year. Two weeks after the tax went into effect. I was sitting on a BC Ferry that was playing CTV news (which I would normally never watch without a gun to my head) which praised the Liberals for decreasing purchases by a huge percentage in August, comparing it to July sales numbers. So, was the huge rush to implement this tax a response to the huge pressure to do something, but at the same time do nothing? They now have their dumb statistic proving their new tax immediately cooled the market, meanwhile foreign investors are apparently laughing that this is the huge controversial attempt to stop them.

This might seem super obvious to some here, but I sure had an "AHA!" moment when it seemed there was a reason for the incredible rush to implement the tax.

In other news, a rare example of Libs not Libbing for once: the "Teacher and Early Childhood Educator School Supply Tax Credit" has been put into effect for this school year and will refund teachers 150$ if they spend 1000$ on supplies for their classrooms. Better than nothing, but it's pretty depressing seeing first hand how much of their own money a teacher (specifically elementary) has to put into their classroom to make it a nice place to learn in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Giving a tax credit for teachers buying supplies instead of boosting the education budget counts as "not libbing"? Maybe I need my definitions checked.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lol a tax credit. That's libbing so hard.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I'm just saying they did in fact do it. Obviously they can do so much more on that file.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

THC posted:

Lol a tax credit. That's libbing so hard.

A tax credit for an area of provincial jurisdiction, no less

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ARACHTION posted:

I'm just saying they did in fact do it. Obviously they can do so much more on that file.

Education is a provincial responsibility, they should be doing exactly nothing (or sending the provinces more money).

The net effect of this is, what, a $12.50/month maximum raise for teachers if they're scrupulous about keeping receipts? It's complete bullshit.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

REAL CHANGE

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

vyelkin posted:

Sit them down in a locked room and make them watch the full run of their choice of Corner Gas, Flashpoint, or Little Mosque on the Prairie, and then if they still want to come to Canada let them.

I pick trailer park boys and sons of butcher. But not the corky episodes, we're not cruel.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Scaramouche posted:

I pick trailer park boys and sons of butcher. But not the corky episodes, we're not cruel.

gently caress you all: Beachcombers.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Make them watch Littlest Hobo. If they don't love that dog, they can't come here.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed
Found this nugget buried on the CBC news site:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/mulcair-trudeau-leadership-stead-handy-1.3755188

Given the recent Mulcair talk, it's good for a laugh or two.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Forced watchings of Danger Bay, if they call him Doc Cottle they're immediately deported.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

How about Kenny vs Spenny?

Bonus: it teaches Canadian values

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Super bonus points if they mistake Justin Trudeau for Passe Montagne.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Giddy up

quote:

Hunter Tootoo’s inappropriate sexual liaison with a young staffer spiralled out of control when the former fisheries minister broke off the affair so he could pursue a committed relationship with the young woman’s estranged mother, sources say.

Two sources said the staffer was unaware Mr. Tootoo had been dating her mother and that the relationship had become serious. The mother also had no idea Mr. Tootoo was having an affair with her daughter, whom he had hired to work in his Parliament Hill office.

Mr. Tootoo informed the young woman he was ending their relationship before he flew to Winnipeg for the Liberal Party’s biennial convention on the weekend of May 26-29, according to a source.

On Sunday, May 29, the young woman, who was distraught and apparently had been drinking, began to throw things around in Mr. Tootoo’s Parliament Hill office in the Confederation Building. A House of Commons security guard managed to calm the sobbing young woman.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//new...&click=sf_globe

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 12, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Make them watch Littlest Hobo. If they don't love that dog, they can't come here.

Everyone loves Littlest Hobo.

quote:

Christopher Dew: There was an episode where the dog has been accidentally poisoned. I asked Chuck how we're going to make the dog stagger? He told me he had an old dog who used to be the lead but had hip problems. The way he walks, although he's not in pain, looks weird. We shot a sequence that pulls my heart out of my chest where the dog is staggering through the woods, gets to a log and jumps up on it with his front feet and drags his back feet over the log and falls in a big heap and starts to walk some more till he finally makes it to a ranger station. The amount of mail and phone calls we got the following day, the switchboard lit up. "How dare you drug the Littlest Hobo! How dare you hurt him just for showbiz!" We got ripped on by our audience, because of what they perceived we did to the Littlest Hobo. We had to issue a press release and we turned it into a positive story, about the last hurray of a great grandfather dog that had sired a bunch of the dogs on the show.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/an-oral-history-of-the-littlest-hobo-canadas-greatest-tv-show-144

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's just like some lovely TV show

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I came to post this because jesus christ ...

At least Trudeau gave him a hug right?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Everyone loves Littlest Hobo.

"Christopher Dew: There was an episode where the dog has been accidentally poisoned. I asked Chuck how we're going to make the dog stagger? He told me he had an old dog who used to be the lead but had hip problems. The way he walks, although he's not in pain, looks weird. We shot a sequence that pulls my heart out of my chest where the dog is staggering through the woods, gets to a log and jumps up on it with his front feet and drags his back feet over the log and falls in a big heap and starts to walk some more till he finally makes it to a ranger station. The amount of mail and phone calls we got the following day, the switchboard lit up. "How dare you drug the Littlest Hobo! How dare you hurt him just for showbiz!" We got ripped on by our audience, because of what they perceived we did to the Littlest Hobo. We had to issue a press release and we turned it into a positive story, about the last hurray of a great grandfather dog that had sired a bunch of the dogs on the show."

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/an-oral-history-of-the-littlest-hobo-canadas-greatest-tv-show-144

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

To be honest why should we care?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

OSI bean dip posted:

To be honest why should we care?

Because he offended the laws of man and nature.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

vyelkin posted:

You place in front of them four plates. One of them has a heaping mound of poutine. One has a large pile of back bacon. One is just covered in maple syrup. The fourth is their favourite food from their home country. Which plate they choose determines whether we allow them entry into the country.

You know they have Canadian values when they mix the first three together into a million calorie abomination and then scarf it down in two bites. That's when you let them in.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A list will be provided of 100 values and the immigrant will be asked to identify which ones define Canada.

If they pick "better than the US" as the only one they get handed citizenship status right then and there.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC0tAdR_b3U

Watching this series will be required for all immigrants.

Edit: It's from the guy who Milhouse was modeled after.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 12, 2016

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
All immigrants must survive a year in Regina before being allowed anywhere else in the country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74B5kMLNd5Q

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

This should be called what its like to be a rich white guy in a Canada.

Even youtube commenters can be astute now and then.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

By measuring pupilary response to a set of morality questions.

While skating down the Rideau canal, you see a lumberjack on his back, unable to right himself. You don't apologize for not helping him. Why?

By making the rookie mistake of using the canal after it was frozen, the lumberjack failed to correctly perform the Log-Driver's Waltz and thus satisfied the girls only incompletely. The penalty is death.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

DariusLikewise posted:

All immigrants must survive a year in Regina before being allowed anywhere else in the country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74B5kMLNd5Q

"gently caress it, we're going back to Aleppo."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Hexigrammus posted:

It gets interesting when you have First Nations communities pointing out that they are a) not Canadian and b) have a right to govern themselves by their own traditions. Getting these groups signing on to "Canadian Values(tm)" should be interesting.

All joking aside, Canada does have a set of values that are expressed in its constitution, laws and government. We can joke about how shabby or unimpressive or hypocritical those values seem to be and we can point out -- correctly -- that trying to create some kind of citizenship test smacks of futility and pandering, but actually denying that anything resembling Canadian values exists at all is kind of silly. And we don't need to get people to sign onto these values because our ancestors did that in the past when they violently conquered the continent and imposed their political will on the survivors and subsequent generations of migrants.

Whether the thin gruel of "Canadian values" can be formulated into some kind of test and usefully administered to immigrants is, of course, doubtful. And it's pretty clear this policy is about PR and not any kind of substantive proposal. We have a weakly defined sense of national character compared to most other 'First World' countries, which is both a strength and a weakness, depending on how you look at it. Still, I find it a bit silly when we are so quick to deny anything resembling Canadian values exist. Whether they can be fully articulated or whether they're even particularly coherent, there are obviously some norms (some of them even expressed as codified laws and regulations) which guide our collective life and which help shape our collective moral intuitions.

Circling back to my earlier point, I would generally oppose creating distinctive and separate legal systems for Canadian citizens or creating religious exemptions to law. I understand why first nations want those exemptions and to some extent I guess this is just a situation where for once I'm happy I have no power because its so tricky and complicated I'll just let other people agonize over it, but there's certainly something tragic about situations where a young girl dies for preventable medical reasons because her parents exploited a loophole in federal law to deny her lifesaving medical treatment. Still, I can see it from the other perspective and understand why first nations aren't in any kind of hurry to give up their hard-won independence form the federal government, so I really have no claim to know what the proper solution here would be.

quote:

A cynical observer such as myself would note that the coastal traditional economies seemed to be based largely on murder, pillage, rape, slavery, and salmon. The colonial forces were less reliant on fish and arguably more focused on taking other people's stuff.

An even more cynical observer might say that all economies are based on murder, pillage, rape, slavery and [natural resource extraction] or on capital generated in the past by those activities. What's your point?

quote:

The TPP is dead. Long live the TPP.

The TPP will never be truly dead until we have a Margaret Atwood - style die off among the 1%.

The TPP is the product of a particular moment in our economic and social history. It's hard to imagine a bill like the TPP being drafted in 1970 and presumably a massive trade bill written in 2040 would also look different. Maybe better, maybe worse. But if you far enough down the road you're on then you become one of those stereotypical newspaper selling Trots who insists that the only relevant political question is when the Revolution will begin.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Speaking of murdering, pillaging rapists, the OLP will stop collecting the 8% provincial tax on electricity that they started collecting in 2010 with the HST switch and some sort of bonus to rurals. I don't trust it.

quote:

Ontario’s Liberal government is promising to take the 8-per-cent provincial portion of the HST off electricity bills for homes and small businesses.

The cut will come in the form of an “on-bill rebate” – this means that the 8-per-cent reduction will automatically be taken off consumers’ bills, but the bills will likely include a line item reminding them of the reduction.

The governing Liberals are also pledging to deliver even greater electricity savings – 20 per cent – to rural residents, plus help more industrial businesses shift their electricity use to off-peak times, such as late at night, to save money.

The increased savings for rural residents will be subsidized by other hydro ratepayers, meaning the touted eight per cent reduction will actually be less than that.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 12, 2016

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/mackaytaggart/status/775445140676546560
:swoon:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

MA-Horus posted:

"gently caress it, we're going back to Aleppo."

I'm with them, I refuse to experience Regina.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My 90 year old grandpa still tells stories of his arrival in Canada and first year in Calgary. He tells his Calgary stories with the same grave and regretful tone as his worse war stories. Actually sometimes there's some levity and lighter moments in his war stories, sometimes there's stories involving humans being decent and helping each other. His Calgary immigrant impressions are about pure misery and a land with nothing but uncultured and horrible people.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ikantski posted:

Speaking of murdering, pillaging rapists, the OLP will stop collecting the 8% provincial tax on electricity that they started collecting in 2010 with the HST switch and some sort of bonus to rurals. I don't trust it.

Know what would be even more helpful? If the government owned the utility and could adjust the rates directly. That'd be swell.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

oh god, here we go.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

My 90 year old grandpa still tells stories of his arrival in Canada and first year in Calgary. He tells his Calgary stories with the same grave and regretful tone as his worse war stories. Actually sometimes there's some levity and lighter moments in his war stories, sometimes there's stories involving humans being decent and helping each other. His Calgary immigrant impressions are about pure misery and a land with nothing but uncultured and horrible people.
People in Calgary used to poo poo on my grandma for having a British accent lol

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

Know what would be even more helpful? If the government owned the utility and could adjust the rates directly. That'd be swell.

The Government already does set the rates, all rate increases from public and private generators and distributors need to be approved by the Ontario Energy Board.

quote:

The Ontario Energy Board is responsible for regulating natural gas and electricity utilities. This includes setting just and reasonable rates.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Ikantski posted:

This is stupid. This is a handout to people who use more electricity (i.e., wealthier people), and it's generally a bad idea to start poking holes in value-added taxes like this. The right thing to do is increasing HST rebates and assistance for lower-income families.

That said, electricity is not particularly expensive in Ontario.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

tagesschau posted:

That said, electricity is not particularly expensive in Ontario.

But but but my sprawling house is uninsulated and I have the heat cranked to tropical levels all winter!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I can't wait for Doug Ford to prove Canada is just as vulnerable to a Farage or a Trump as anywhere else.