Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wifi Toilet posted:

Paint the side mirror caps black

Absolutely in the plans. It was my first thought after washing it and seeing the faded red plastic.

The boy drove the car 50 more miles today, no issues. Car had heat, temp gauge never quite reached half, no smells or smoke or anything else unusual. It was kind of a cool 55° day so maybe not exemplary of what will happen on a hot summer day, but it’s been 90 miles now of various road conditions and I revved it to the moon several times on a 75° day, and that should be enough to potentially see any cooling issues.

I wish I’d touched the coolant hoses right when he got home, but 30+ minutes later the top one was still warm and the bottom one warm-ish. Coolant levels are unchanged, and nothing is spitting out of the overflow.

:iiam:

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
burnout when

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
redid the battery cables, changed the oil and coolant on the 1998 mercury grand marquis.
drove it 100 miles.
car died as soon as it touched the driveway and turns over but won't start. a cursed land.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Smoke test

Sometimes that evap leak code actually is the gas cap?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Motronic posted:

Smoke test

That happened in my 4runner twice. Bad gas cap seal throws a code. New gas cap and it's gone.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So how do you get the smoke, just throw a match in there?

joking

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Nice. Nice. Nice.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why is your fuel door so filthy. Disgusting.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Motronic posted:

Smoke test

Sometimes it is!
Ratchet mechanism on the gas cap for my Crown Vic failed, so I couldn’t tighten it.

bird with big dick posted:

Out of sight, out of mind. I have to remember to clean mine every so often.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

The whole truck is. It's 20 years old and just purchased. It's being repaired and baselined. Cleaning the inside of the fuel door is not exactly a high priority.

For what reason did you feel the need to comment on that? What did it add to the discussion?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
He knew it would bother you more than average.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheFonz posted:

Nice. Nice. Nice.

What are the 3 bars by the gear it's in? My F80 does not have those. Is it a DCT and related to that?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

wesleywillis posted:

He knew it would bother you more than average.

Clever man.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

fknlo posted:

What are the 3 bars by the gear it's in? My F80 does not have those. Is it a DCT and related to that?

Yea - Shift Speed/Aggressiveness. 3 is a pain at low speeds, really jerky if you take off too passively. If you're actually driving aggressively it's the most impressive auto I've ever driven.

I always just leave everything in comfort because I am old and drive it like I am old, so it's rare I crank it up(Like parked in my driveway for the picture).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I didn't do much except re-torque down the right wheel hub nut, I torqued by hand because my torque wrench doesn't go to 300 nm / 220 ft-lbs, used a regular wrench and big lever and I hope it's OK. I was getting a little worried about not tightening it down enough.

Now I've not properly measured fuel consumption this year, but it feels like the car is using a lot less fuel than last year. I measured a lot then and I had to fill up the car for 70-80 euros a week and I got maybe 450km out of that. Now I'm driving a weeks worth of commuting on 40 euros, and probably the whole week on 50-60 euros worth of gas. That's just great IMO for a car this old.

I think this is the result of renovating all the brake calipers and hand brake system since last year. I used to have issues with the brakes getting hot and I am sure they were all binding up and applying a little braking force all the time. My rear brake pads were worn into wedge shapes when I replaced them. The importance of keeping your brakes in shape.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Motronic posted:

For what reason did you feel the need to comment on that? What did it add to the discussion?
:irony:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pulled off the mangled and dangling undertray, and in the process discovered the reason my aftermarket horn hadn't been working was because it was too heavy for how I had attached it to the OEM horn bracket and the weight bouncing around fatigued the bracket arm clean off. The horn was just sitting there inside the bumper with a contact disconnected.

Conveniently the horn I got to replace that had a stud on the back that was the exact thread used for the bolt used to hold on the busted bracket. Now the new horn is attached directly to the frame rail. (It's also much lighter.)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
worked so hard today

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

worked so hard today

take a nap, you've earned it.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I filled up the gas tank, and got very confused.

I drive a 2001 Saturn L-series wagon, with the V6. Since I got it last year I've been mostly driving it reasonably, coasting whenever I can and outside of the occasional pull I tend to keep it below 3000RPM, and I fill it up after 190-250 miles. Normally I get about 20-22 mpg.

This last tank I did a bunch of 0-60 pulls because I was curious what it would be, and also once because I got stuck behind this absolute crypt keeper that drove 15 under everywhere until I could get past. I got 26 mpg after calculating the gallons added vs miles driven. Double clicked too, and the guage reads full. What the hell.

So gently caress it, I'm gonna drive like a dickhead for the next 100 or so miles and see what happens.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rorac posted:

I drive a 2001 Saturn L-series wagon, with the V6. Since I got it last year I've been mostly driving it reasonably, coasting whenever I can and outside of the occasional pull I tend to keep it below 3000RPM, and I fill it up after 190-250 miles. Normally I get about 20-22 mpg.

This last tank I did a bunch of 0-60 pulls because I was curious what it would be, and also once because I got stuck behind this absolute crypt keeper that drove 15 under everywhere until I could get past. I got 26 mpg after calculating the gallons added vs miles driven. Double clicked too, and the guage reads full. What the hell.

So gently caress it, I'm gonna drive like a dickhead for the next 100 or so miles and see what happens.

Warmer weather maybe? Highway speed keeping it at 55 or less will make a huge difference though too.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Last week it was raining and I saw a leak inside the cabin at the rear window. The CHMSL had a crack in it, so I popped it off and learned a few things. One, from here we can see the headliner. Two, I haven't had a third brake light in who knows how long. I need to check these things more often. Three, the bulbs had dirt and evidence of water dripping on them, so this is a likely suspect if not for the crack for the seal.

I also was surprised and delighted that when I ordered a replacement housing it comes with the bulbs and wires all on it.

That's about as much auto work as I've done in a while, I hope to change that soon.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

TheFonz posted:

Nice. Nice. Nice.

huge miss that youre not going 69 mph

nice

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Rorac posted:

my 2006 jetta which normally got between 29/31 mpg would start running like an asthmatic like me if you didn't once or twice a month drive it around in S mode to let it rev all way up and down.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

Warmer weather maybe? Highway speed keeping it at 55 or less will make a huge difference though too.

I do almost no highway driving. Most of the time I go around 40-45 to and from work, except for driving around the local town/city area if I need to do some shopping. I'll post my test results next time I fill up.

Celexi posted:

my 2006 jetta which normally got between 29/31 mpg would start running like an asthmatic like me if you didn't once or twice a month drive it around in S mode to let it rev all way up and down.

It's that weird GM/Opel 54 degree 3.0L V6, if that matters. I haven't noticed anything weird with the performance.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Thoughts?

16x7 which means 205/55R16s. The roads are trash where I live and I’m making do with what I have.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

That's the OG rally-x spec so I would say you're spot on. Plenty of options especially in the used wheels department.

More sidewall = good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Full Collapse posted:

Thoughts?

16x7 which means 205/55R16s. The roads are trash where I live and I’m making do with what I have.

looks cool but i personally despise wheels that are a pain in the rear end to clean well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

worked so hard today

5/10 - you didn't paint the lettering white. I am disappointed.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Full Collapse posted:

Thoughts?

The Hakone edition looks so loving good.

We had planned an 86 meetup with another group from IIRC the NYC area Allentown, and on the way down they had an accident. A hyperblue rear-ended a Hakone. The Hyperblue was totaled, the Hakone could still drive but had massive rear-end damage.

Edit: checked my old posts, Feb of 2020

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 10, 2024

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Full Collapse posted:

Thoughts?

I just took my winters off that have that size for the stock wheels and its a noticeable difference in comfort. If I still have the car when its time to replace the tires again I'm considering a set of RPF-1s in 16x7 for the summers.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The $300 g35 needed a y-pipe and front pads for safety inspection so we got the exhaust done today:

Pads on Tuesday when they show up. Total $175 in parts to get it to pass isn’t bad for a basically free car.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I started replacing the headliner in my 2000 Jaguar XK8

now the fun part begins: clearing out all the orange poo poo that was dropped by the disintegrating headliner over the years it's been falling apart, causing staining and in general being a loving nuisance

e:
if you're not familiar with this poo poo, it's basically a sound-deadening layer which is inside the headliner itself. Over the years it basically turns into this dust that moves around inside the liner causing the staining as it folds, and slowly drops outside the liner between the stitches. It gets absolutely loving *everywhere* and the only fix is to replace the part - cleaning it just means new stains in another week or so.

This amount of the orange poo poo was created solely through the process of taking the fully disconnected headliner out of the car through the rear. Now imagine that all over white leather!

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 12, 2024

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That did not look like a fun job, well done!

I rechecked the timing belt job I did on my Volvo V50, as well as replaced the aux belt and tensioner. Really simple job once you've done it "once". Now it has a fresh timing belt, fresh pulleys and new mounts all round. The old ones weren't too bad, but still nice to have done it.

If it wasn't for the oil filter being in an awkward place, I'd done that as well but it'll have to wait 'til next time.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Hit 150k miles on the Prius!

…as I drove it home at 35-40mph after the kid that drives it “swerved to miss something that shot out at them” and hit a curb and hosed something up. Blew out both drivers side tires too. Luckily I have a winter set and changed them out in a Casey’s parking lot at 2 am and then limped it home. Gonna be fun figuring out what’s broken. It has a dash cam, gonna watch that tomorrow

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Typical Miata problems. I had condensation in the left side taillight housing so yesterday I took the third brake lamp housing off to put some trim sealant around the holes. There was a very small drip coming through the left-most opening. No pics of that process because it’s insanely annoying to do for what sounds like such a simple job.

Today I took the taillight off and dried it out with the heat gun and some paper on the end of a coat hanger through the bulb socket.

Back to looking clear and dry

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Today, an order came from the Swedish Saab Club Spare Parts Store. Stuff like a new 89 degree thermostat and new wiper blades for the headlights. I have also tried repainting the headlight arms, I used brake caliper paint. A bit of a shoddy job on my part. Ideally the parts should be bead blasted and taken apart but they are riveted and I didn't want to deal with that right now. In the future I will try again and redo it proper. I also want to blast and repaint the arms for the windshield wipers.

Today felt like the first day of actual good weather...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I bought a new windshield washer nozzle from the Swedish saab club too, because I want better cleaning action on the right side of the window. Originally the left side washer shoots two streams of washer fluid but the right side is just a single stream. So I decided to put a left hand nozzle on the right side to get better coverage.

Although I seem to have a pile of small issues right now.

-The original check valve was leaking so I replaced it with a new one, but after I replaced it there is now a delay and the effect seems weaker. Pretty sure the new check valve is crap. Right now it barely reaches the windshield.

I've also bought a new washer relay on ebay (VAG 357955531) so I'll get adjustable timing. The saab original relay is also irritating because whenever you use the washer fluid it does 5 swipes which is like, excessive. The new one will do three swipes.

I also bought a couple of cheap washer nozzles that can be mounted on the wiper arms, I thought I would try experimenting with this and see how it works in practice. If I can install without making any extra holes in any metal that is.

I also learned the washer pump motor does not have it's own relay but the full power goes through the stalk. So if the stalk connector is bad that means less power to the pump. That's kinda dumb. So I'll be fitting a new relay for the washer pump.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I assisted the boy in putting new front pads on the g35. A mere 20 minutes even just lifting one side of the car at a time, probably one of the easiest pad swaps I’ve ever been part of, no doubt helped by the car being from Florida so it has no corrosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I went out and wired my dad's new Vintage Air up, because in his increasing age, he's getting a little foggy on reading schematics and such. Got the Fan and Trinary switch wired up, just have to finish mounting the circuit breaker and hiding the wiring under the dash. Just glad another item is off the checklist.