Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ohhh, yeah if you just want to extend your miter gauge that's a different thing, sure. I was thinking you'd want to have plywood on both sides of the table saw blade, which requires a join somewhere and the front and back fences are important to keep the the saw slot from accidentally contracting and catching the blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

JEEVES420 posted:

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TWh4n5FFfU

A cross cut sled is extremely versatile and you should build one sooner rather than later but an extended miter gauge still has its place.

That’s literally the video that got me thinking about it. And yes I DO fully plan on making a full sled. I just think I could utilize the small footprint of a gauge with extended wood fence.

Any advice on the best piece of wood to use for flatness?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

baltic birch plywood is my go-to for keeps-its-dimensions, flat, smooth surface, easy to work with, and not too ridiculously expensive. They often have sheets for sale at woodcraft.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

My small sleds have always been 1/2" MDF and it works very well. If you're doing the massive multi-day project sled with a bunch of ridiculous features, then it's definitely worth getting high-count plywood like baltic birch.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Hypnolobster posted:

My small sleds have always been 1/2" MDF and it works very well. If you're doing the massive multi-day project sled with a bunch of ridiculous features, then it's definitely worth getting high-count plywood like baltic birch.

Really depends on shop conditions. If your shop is a garage in a hot humid area, mdf will warp crazy fast.

If you don't have high count plywood to use, pick your hardest hardwood in the scrap bin.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I honestly just haven't worked with MDF in the shop much, my main experience with it is having fasteners rip out of ikea furniture, and watching my old desk surface swell due to moisture from cold drinks because I never used a coaster. But yeah if you can keep it in reasonably dry conditions I bet its weight and smooth surface is an advantage for this application.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A crosscut sled is imo the single most useful shop fixture that you can easily make yourself in an hour and everyone with a table saw should build one! They turn the table saw from a good machine for ripping plywood into an incredibly useful, precise tool that cuts wider, straighter, cleaner, and more repeatably than the chopsaw. With a dado head, it's now also really fantastic tenoning and joinery machine. You can get much of that functionality out of a miter gauge, but a crosscut sled is going to be much safer and more accurate. I've never been super comfortable using a miter gauge for miters on the TS for some reason and instead usually use the bandsaw w/miter gauge or chop saw for angled cuts. Make the sled as wide as you practically can. I think mine will cut 30" wide and it's really nice for building case goods to be able to reliably cut something that wide square and not have to break out the circ saw/guide. I built one with a wider kerf to dado with, and it easily and precisely dados case sides for drawer runners/frames etc, and and with a good stop block clamped on it is how I make almost all my tenons as well.

I think mine is made of some Ecuadorean hardwood plywood from Home depot that was fairly cheap and it's stayed flat. MDF does stay nice and flat but it is also heavy as hell and doesn't like being banged and bumped around. I can't find a pic right now, but I put a pretty simple groove along the top of the fence that a stopblock rides on.

This method is good and simple and makes squaring everything up pretty easy:
https://www.finewoodworking.com/2011/07/01/build-a-super-precise-tablesaw-crosscut-sled
Mine has 2 wooden runners and honestly fitting those is a bit of a pain. If you've got some good T-track laying around that will make it much easier

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks. I do plan on making a sled. They are mega handy. I just wanted a quick mod to a miter gauge too.
Question, my stock Dewalt miter gauge accessory that came with my job site saw has a little bit of horizontal play in the groove. I mean I’m talking like a millimeter, or less? But it does shift a little... is that normal / acceptable tolerance?

[Edit] I just watched a video and apparently that’s a lot of movement and apparently I can rectify it with tape on one side of the rail.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 16, 2019

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Feenix posted:

Thanks. I do plan on making a sled. They are mega handy. I just wanted a quick mod to a miter gauge too.
Question, my stock Dewalt miter gauge accessory that came with my job site saw has a little bit of horizontal play in the groove. I mean I’m talking like a millimeter, or less? But it does shift a little... is that normal / acceptable tolerance?

[Edit] I just watched a video and apparently that’s a lot of movement and apparently I can rectify it with tape on one side of the rail.

Masking tape is the answer to all "good enough" tolerances. Its even in the manual for several of my tools as a fix.

In case your curious I took a picture of one of my miter gauges. Nothing fancy, right edge is about even with the right side of throat plate which lets me get a 45 cut without interference as well. Stop block with an alligator clamp.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

Masking tape is the answer to all "good enough" tolerances. Its even in the manual for several of my tools as a fix.

In case your curious I took a picture of one of my miter gauges. Nothing fancy, right edge is about even with the right side of throat plate which lets me get a 45 cut without interference as well. Stop block with an alligator clamp.

I approve that miter gauge. Did it not come with a fence?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Incra miter gauges are life changing

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
4 layers of scotch tape did me right up.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

I approve that miter gauge. Did it not come with a fence?

another $75 for the fence. Can always buy their fancy fence later. Incra are like legos, you don't have to buy the set but eventually you will have all the pieces.

Incra fence on a Sawstop will trip it if your not careful...

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Somehow in the past 300 years of cutting and drying red oak we stall can’t dry this poo poo properly?! This is tyool 2019 with computers and scientific drying schedules and fancy kilns and poo poo and this poo poo is honeycombed you he’ll. 4’ down a board this runs for at least 3’, not visible from either surface or either end and I AM GRUMPY.

l know oak is hard to dry but gosh I just thought the people that dry lumber for a living would have figured this out, especially since case hardening is entirely and completely preventable!

Do you know anything about the growing conditions it came from? Somewhat swampy areas? On an oak ridge, center of an unremarkable forest? I stopped harvesting Red Oak in areas where I thought that it might be too wet, as it does that "gap thing" (no matter what you do) when drying. My regular red oak gets cut, then thrown in the top of a barn to be shat on by birds until I decide to use it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Blistex posted:

Do you know anything about the growing conditions it came from? Somewhat swampy areas? On an oak ridge, center of an unremarkable forest? I stopped harvesting Red Oak in areas where I thought that it might be too wet, as it does that "gap thing" (no matter what you do) when drying. My regular red oak gets cut, then thrown in the top of a barn to be shat on by birds until I decide to use it.
I know the mill is the in Eastern KY, so it's Appalachian and presumably not bottomland stuff? Pretty slow growing compared to some red oak at least.

After doing some more reading about it, I am fairly certain it was dried too quickly. Clue #1 is that it's very flatsawn and by rights should have cupped, but didn't. Apparently when oak and other woods that need to be dried slowly are dried too quickly, the fibers on the outside of the board dry and set while the inside is still very wet. This is called case hardening and it is nice because it keeps the lumber flat (outside sets before it has time to cup) but bad because it can cause honeycombing and just general instability in the wood. As the still-wet interior of the board dries it needs to shrink, but the hard, dry outside of the board has already gotten as small as it wants to get, so the wet inside sort of shrinks inside the hard box of the dry exterior, and, not being able to shrink the whole board, something has to give and so you get the interior checking/honeycombing seen here. Most commonly a problem in thicker stock, and one of the main reasons (and it just takes forever to dry) you very very very rarely see oak thicker than 8/4 for sale. Despite probably not being bottomland stuff, I wonder if the timber could have been very wet (cut in the spring?) and how much that would contribute to the unequal drying of board interior/exterior? Historically, a lot of logging was done in winter because when the trees are dormant there is much less water in the trunk, so maybe this is more forgotten wisdom off the ancients?

The more I read about drying lumber, the more I am convinced that it is the trickiest part of the tree>>>furniture continuum. Equal parts arcane art, operator skill, science and technical knowledge.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

another $75 for the fence. Can always buy their fancy fence later. Incra are like legos, you don't have to buy the set but eventually you will have all the pieces.

Incra fence on a Sawstop will trip it if your not careful...

Huh to both those tidbits. I don't recall mine not having a fence option, and I've never played with a Sawstop. Not gonna scoff at Sawstop (knocks wood with nine fingers), woont be prudent.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have had checking close up, but not very often. Usually just surface checks in oak that only appeared if it got suuuper dry or sat in the sun. In your situation starting with green wood and air drying it, the checks are being caused by a loss of ~90+% of the water in the wood. Seasonal changes in humidity might be a 3-4% change in moisture content? Not nearly as big a deal as the huge moisture loss that caused the original checking. Older woodworking stuff written before kiln drying was commonly done pretty much always talk about wood movement in terms of shrinkage, and you probably should too in this situation. Kiln dried wood starts so dry we think about wood movement now as expansion and contraction, but in moving air dried wood into interior conditioned space, shrinkage is going to be 90% of the problem.

I’ve not done it with epoxy, but have filled plenty of checks (in kiln dried wood) with thin viscosity superglue and never had the wood push the glue back out. Yes, the wood is going to try and move, but it’s going to try and move in the easiest way which is probably by getting a little bigger around the edges or crushing the wood fibers next to the epoxy, not squeezing epoxy back out. Epoxy or superglue absolutely will hold a check closed, but if the wood is continuing to lose so much moisture that it is continuing to check, it will probably make a new check somewhere else instead of trying to break a good glue bond.

If you’re working with wood where the pith is completely surrounded by wood (Like a log or cookie or big 6x6 post-even notice how those are always checked?), it gets a little more complicated because you start dealing with the difference in expansion/contraction rates tangentially vs radially (the reason wood checks to begin with!) and I could maybe see it squeezing epoxy out then since as the wood expands tangentially it has nowhere to go but try and fill the check back in? But still I don’t know that it would be a problem for something inside? Maybe something subject to pretty big changes in MC like exterior stuff that got rained on and dried out frequently?

What I'm screwing around with is pretty weird and not really in the theme of this thread but its wood and I really like the technical aspects of working it and yall have all the answers so apologies in advance to anyone who is annoyed by these type of posts.

I was mostly worried about the wood expanding around the epoxy leaving a new gap along the epoxy which might not be easy to fill nicely, but I'm sure it would with a little sanding. Also new checking caused by the old checks not being able to close. It's really fun watching some checking occur naturally, trying to predict where it's going to show is hard. I think checking can be a really beautifully integrated part of something (and green wood is all I got so gently caress it!).

I had a cookie from that fir I took down a while ago that I needed to get rid of/I wanted to see if I could put a hole in it. That shaping disc was not the jam I was hoping it would be so I just grabbed the chainsaw and grinder and did this in a couple hours on Friday. The checking is radiating out nicely already. I'll probably finish grinding it up some more, sand it a bit.. and then either put oil on it or burn it I'm not sure what yet

Fir is gross and smells terrible to me, cedar 4 life

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 17, 2019

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Has routers been discussed lately? https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tls/d/choctaw-stanley-45-plane-2-boxes-of/7021163642.html

talking ultimate steampunk tool here

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
A tool relapse right before our very eyes. That is loving awesome though and probably at least 120 years old right?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

A tool relapse right before our very eyes. That is loving awesome though and probably at least 120 years old right?

No idea how old. I think electric routers were invented maybe in the '40's? It puts me in awe though. And considering those planes were the go-to for, what, hundreds of years?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

No idea how old. I think electric routers were invented maybe in the '40's? It puts me in awe though. And considering those planes were the go-to for, what, hundreds of years?

That's a post-1922 45, made of nickel-plated cast iron (hence the shine but little rusty bits showing through). They were sold well into the '60s alongside newer, cheaper aluminum models (with 'A 45' instead of 'No. 45' on the sides). They're wonderful and finding complete sets of blades to go with them is challenging.

But yeah, besides the updated fasteners (wingnuts vs. knurled brass) and finish (plating vs. japanning) it's the same thing as the original 45s from the mid/late 1800s. Planes rule.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 17, 2019

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Elder Postsman posted:

Picked up a beech cut-off from a local shop for $2 today. I'm gonna try to make a grooving plane out of it so I can build some drawers.

Got the beech all flat and square

But before I go cutting this all up, I thought it smart to make a quick mock-up to make sure what I had in mind would actually, you know, work.

And I was rewarded with... a groove!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Looks pretty good, but isn't the hole a bit small for a toilet seat?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

nielsm posted:

Looks pretty good, but isn't the hole a bit small for a toilet seat?

Oh no that is just a bad picture its up to regulation, I can assure you the hole is a little over the industry standard at 8"

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What I'm screwing around with is pretty weird and not really in the theme of this thread but its wood and I really like the technical aspects of working it and yall have all the answers so apologies in advance to anyone who is annoyed by these type of posts.

I was mostly worried about the wood expanding around the epoxy leaving a new gap along the epoxy which might not be easy to fill nicely, but I'm sure it would with a little sanding. Also new checking caused by the old checks not being able to close. It's really fun watching some checking occur naturally, trying to predict where it's going to show is hard. I think checking can be a really beautifully integrated part of something (and green wood is all I got so gently caress it!).

I had a cookie from that fir I took down a while ago that I needed to get rid of/I wanted to see if I could put a hole in it. That shaping disc was not the jam I was hoping it would be so I just grabbed the chainsaw and grinder and did this in a couple hours on Friday. The checking is radiating out nicely already. I'll probably finish grinding it up some more, sand it a bit.. and then either put oil on it or burn it I'm not sure what yet

Fir is gross and smells terrible to me, cedar 4 life

I like this! would look neat all sanded up and oiled. Waiting expectantly for the photoshops w/ hands and wedding ring. I really like the idea of wiring checks closed too. The best part of woodworking experiments is that no matter how badly you think you gently caress it up, it's always useful if you burn it.

I'm in the opposite camp of where I think fir smells nice and (western red) cedar smells fuuuunky. I can't ever quite decide if it is nice funky or bad funky. Sometimes it has a greenish color too it that again I am not sure how I feel about.

Elder Postsman posted:

Got the beech all flat and square

But before I go cutting this all up, I thought it smart to make a quick mock-up to make sure what I had in mind would actually, you know, work.

And I was rewarded with... a groove!

This is super cool. Is the practice version just built up out of plywood? I've made one little block plane by gluing stuff together in the Krenov method but planemaking for real has always seemed really neat to me. Scratchstocks work and they are easy but making my own wooden planes seems like it would be super cool (and hard).

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is super cool. Is the practice version just built up out of plywood? I've made one little block plane by gluing stuff together in the Krenov method but planemaking for real has always seemed really neat to me. Scratchstocks work and they are easy but making my own wooden planes seems like it would be super cool (and hard).

The wedge is 1/4" plywood, the rest is just cut from a scrap of 1x4 pine. Gonna do one or two more practice ones to figure out how to make the shavings actually exit the plane instead of getting all bunched up. I was super impressed that it actually worked though!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I have all the basic tools: circular saw, radial arm saw, router, jigsaw, drill with every bit I might need, Dremel with wood bits, etc.

I'm building a retro-futuristic jukebox with an art deco aesthetic using a 9" CRT as the display. This is my first real woodworking project that's planned and not "gently caress, part of the house is broken and I need to fix it," does anyone have advice for how to cut and fit complex curves to match the contour of the screen? Feel free to go as math-heavy as you want, I did a decent job in Calc II and am rusty but can read up if I need it. I also suspect that I'm overthinking it and can do much better by making it simpler. The TV model is JVC TM-9U for reference.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Make a pattern piece then use the router, with a trim bit with a bearing on it, to cut the work piece. The pattern piece can be something easy to shape like MDF, or just whatever scrap you have lying around that you don't care about; the point is that you can get it into shape without worrying that it looks aesthetically pretty. All it needs is to have the right shape and be thick enough for the bearing to ride on.

As for measuring the CRT to get your pattern piece to be right...uh, make a conservative guess, then test fit until it's right. That's the best I got. :shrug:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Contour gauges and mockups of the curve cut out of cardstock or something, make your pattern from those and then router and hand fitting on the final piece

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
4 layers of masking, but it feels good, man...

Sorry that was supposed to be animated. Whatever, take my word for it... no lateral slop.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

GWBBQ posted:

I have all the basic tools: circular saw, radial arm saw, router, jigsaw, drill with every bit I might need, Dremel with wood bits, etc.

I'm building a retro-futuristic jukebox with an art deco aesthetic using a 9" CRT as the display. This is my first real woodworking project that's planned and not "gently caress, part of the house is broken and I need to fix it," does anyone have advice for how to cut and fit complex curves to match the contour of the screen? Feel free to go as math-heavy as you want, I did a decent job in Calc II and am rusty but can read up if I need it. I also suspect that I'm overthinking it and can do much better by making it simpler. The TV model is JVC TM-9U for reference.

Cut to fit and fiddle with it to fit exactly is probably the answer like others have said, but depending on the finish you might look at bendaboard/bendable plywood. Still definitely gonna be some hand fitting, but if you were trying to make curved case sides and stuff it would probably make your life easier.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I’ve been waiting months to take a woodturning class, and today it finally happened. I’m weirdly proud of my new maple mallet.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Baronash posted:

I’ve been waiting months to take a woodturning class, and today it finally happened. I’m weirdly proud of my new maple mallet.

That's a nice mallet

One of my work colleagues has promised me a wood lathe as he's getting his dad's old one, so it's probably high time to learn how to use one I guess

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Baronash posted:

How / where did you find a class?

I have my lathe setup and tried some basic turning and am pretty sure I should go take a class or at least find a way to spend some time watching someone in person do it and ask questions.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

That Works posted:

I have my lathe setup and tried some basic turning and am pretty sure I should go take a class or at least find a way to spend some time watching someone in person do it and ask questions.

Do you have a woodcraft near you?
https://www.woodcraft.com/store_locations
If you select a store, there should be a classes page, and there will most likely be a wood turning one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AFewBricksShy posted:

Do you have a woodcraft near you?
https://www.woodcraft.com/store_locations
If you select a store, there should be a classes page, and there will most likely be a wood turning one.

There's one about an hour away. Looks like the only wood turning courses that fit my schedule coming up super quick are pen turning ones. They have one more my speed / wants but i'll have to wait until it comes up again.

You were happy with the quality of the class etc? Just gonna be a long night with 2h of driving etc and the fee. I just want to make sure it'll be worth the time.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

That Works posted:

There's one about an hour away. Looks like the only wood turning courses that fit my schedule coming up super quick are pen turning ones. They have one more my speed / wants but i'll have to wait until it comes up again.

You were happy with the quality of the class etc? Just gonna be a long night with 2h of driving etc and the fee. I just want to make sure it'll be worth the time.

I drove an hour and paid $75 for an "intro to hand plane" class, and I thought it was worth it. Here's what I posted about it.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I ended up signing up for that hand plane class at Woodcraft.
I'm glad I did it, and I'll probably do the hand cut dove tail class the guy offers as well.
I've never really been great at hand planing. I've watched stuff on youtube, but there's something about someone being able to show you in person exactly how to dial in what you're going for or fixes to things you might be doing wrong.

Also, and this is a no-brainer, but it hammered in the importance of having your tools properly sharpened.
The class was started off by learning the basics with some wood river #4 planes that were properly tuned and sharpened. Watching the paper thin curl of wood pop out was immensely satisfying. He then went over different ways to prep wood you might be working on, grain direction, etc..
We then completely disassembled the planes, and put them back together to get the hang of dialing it back in to where you want it, then discussed fixing up old planes and also steps that might be needed for even brand new, out of the box planes. (basically how to tune the blades).
I'm positive I could get the same info from watching Paul Sellers on Youtube or something, but as I said there is something to having someone to actually physically show you something.

(those are my grandfather's old planes in the picture below)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey ThatWorks, where are you located?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

That Works posted:

I took a class at the Woodcraft store in Milwaukee. It was $110 for a six hour class, and they provided materials, tools, and the lathe. I was very happy with the instructor, and we were hands-on and turning within 45 minutes with frequent breaks over the next few hours for him to demonstrate different techniques. With only 5 people in the class, we each had a ton of 1-on-1 time, and he was willing to give a couple of us a lengthy sharpening demo after someone asked.

It was definitely worth it, and I'm hoping to do a bowl turning class next month or early next year with the same dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I take and teach classes at my local Makerspace. Not guaranteed to have one in your area but if so might be worth checking out.