Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ecavalli posted:

Given DC's execrable films, the same could be said about all of those CW live-action series. How they manage to gently caress up the tone on Superman so badly while nailing the tone of The Flash I'll never understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0tQgQgMN-Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Yup, that's the right tone. It's so nice seeing Superman without all of Zack Snyder's infinite hackiness attached.

If you could sum up the correct tone for non-Batman DC Comics properties in three words, those words would be "time-traveling gorillas."

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 11, 2018

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I clearly suck at posting.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I will never get tired of that use of "Run Barry, run!" :haw:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ecavalli posted:

Given DC's execrable films, the same could be said about all of those CW live-action series. How they manage to gently caress up the tone on Superman so badly while nailing the tone of The Flash I'll never understand.

Stark's been a douchebag for years now. Clint should try to make friends with Reed Richards. I bet he could provide much better gear.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

prefect posted:

Stark's been a douchebag for years now. Clint should try to make friends with Reed Richards. I bet he could provide much better gear.

Oops hawkeye can see in 4d

There should be a series where a mundane 'everyday' hero is facing problems and goes to brillant rear end in a top hat scientist of the week.
With predictable results.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

I'm not a huge fan of "Supergirl," but for real, their Clark Kent is top-tier.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

I'm not a huge fan of "Supergirl," but for real, their Clark Kent is top-tier.

I just sorta watch it off and on, do they show him in his Clark Kent identity?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oops hawkeye can see in 4d

There should be a series where a mundane 'everyday' hero is facing problems and goes to brillant rear end in a top hat scientist of the week.
With predictable results.

Would read the hell out of that. :thumbsup:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Skwirl posted:

I just sorta watch it off and on, do they show him in his Clark Kent identity?

A little bit in his first episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uarSBaSJ8g for example. Most of the time after that if he showed up it was already as Superman and just in time to get poisoned or mind-controlled. It's great that he's around but it means they need some throw-away comments of "Clark's off in space right now" or have him saving Madagascar while Kara deals with the local stuff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bruceski posted:

A little bit in his first episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uarSBaSJ8g for example. Most of the time after that if he showed up it was already as Superman and just in time to get poisoned or mind-controlled. It's great that he's around but it means they need some throw-away comments of "Clark's off in space right now" or have him saving Madagascar while Kara deals with the local stuff.

That might be the best live action depiction of Superman, actually. I'd take him over Henry Cavill, regardless of muscle.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

prefect posted:

For the whipper-snappers who don't know what she's talking about.

Not a bad team, really, but other than not being under the yoke of Tony Stark what's the difference between this and just being Avengers? Like I assume Warren is footing the bill so they even have the financier role.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lobok posted:

Not a bad team, really, but other than not being under the yoke of Tony Stark what's the difference between this and just being Avengers? Like I assume Warren is footing the bill so they even have the financier role.

They were based in Los Angeles.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bruceski posted:

She's canonically more powerful than him in the show so the only excuse they need now is that he's dealing with a smaller crisis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

That might be the best live action depiction of Superman, actually. I'd take him over Henry Cavill, regardless of muscle.

Christopher Reeve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

prefect posted:

They were based in Los Angeles.

So they were the West Coast Not-Avengers.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think it's the best Superman since Christopher Reeve, at least

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

She's canonically more powerful than him in the show so the only excuse they need now is that he's dealing with a smaller crisis.

I thought she had more training but he was stronger because he has spent more time in the sun? Either way she whips his rear end.

Also the best part of the DC shows is still

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oj7D_SmlEA

Just the sheer joy of getting free ice cream.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZrSiCso9pU

Being an actor has to be the weirdest drat job.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 11, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

I thought she had more training but he was stronger because he has spent more time in the sun? Either way she whips his rear end.

Also the best part of the DC shows is still

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oj7D_SmlEA

Just the sheer joy of getting free ice cream.

He got mind controlled and she beat him up, and when they were talking about who should fight an honor battle for the fate of the planet he said "I was giving that my all, you're just better, it should be you."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

purple death ray posted:

I think it's the best Superman since Christopher Reeve, at least

That's fair.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Arrowverse shows are a fun combination of terrible teen dramas and superheroes. The heroes are still irrational, emotional, humans and aliens.

Gotham, on the other hand, is Modern Age Comics: The TV Show. Nothing makes sense but the scenery is delicious.

For content, from Injustice 2, #2.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I’m sure my punch got beaten to, but she’s dressed as Hawkeye Pierce from MASH!

IT’S PERFECT. I LOVE IT. I LOVE THE WORLD.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

From today's X-23 #1. More "mildly amusing" than funny, but it gave me a sensible chuckle at the bus stop.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

From today's X-23 #1. More "mildly amusing" than funny, but it gave me a sensible chuckle at the bus stop.

Took me a moment to see it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Brute Squad posted:

Arrowverse shows are a fun combination of terrible teen dramas and superheroes. The heroes are still irrational, emotional, humans and aliens.

Gotham, on the other hand, is Modern Age Comics: The TV Show. Nothing makes sense but the scenery is delicious.

For content, from Injustice 2, #2.

I love that Ollie and Dinah are having none of Fate's poo poo. Just "'atta boy, son, shoot that dork's shiny hat"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

I quit the CWverse a long time ago. Starting to feel as though I made a mistake.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Little known fact

The farmers in Smallville were not Superboy's first set of adopted parents.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

SonicRulez posted:

I quit the CWverse a long time ago. Starting to feel as though I made a mistake.

Well there was an episode of Legends of Tomorrow, that opened with them foiling Gorilla Grodd's plot to go back in time and assassinate Barack Obama while he was still in high school. And that was just the cold open.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Why doesn't his brain being smaller make his psychic yelling quieter?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

David D. Davidson posted:

Well there was an episode of Legends of Tomorrow, that opened with them foiling Gorilla Grodd's plot to go back in time and assassinate Barack Obama while he was still in high school. And that was just the cold open.

That sounds great, can you link a video

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Diet Poison posted:

idgi

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the sound effect is a sign

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Supergirl's pretty solid, we'll have to see if they keep going with some developments at the end of last season or walk them back to the status quo.
Flash is all over the place. When it's good it's great but when they try for drama it just plods.
Arrow has good people, but they're all busy being angsty at each other about trust issues.
Legends keeps getting sillier and keeps getting better as a result. If anyone on that set is NOT having a blast doing that show, they do a good job hiding it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The bad I've heard about flash is that Barry Allen is the dumbest man alive in it.essentially to allow his support team to... Support him. But it has the take of making Barry a bloody moron.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's canonical in the Flash universe that the biggest villain in the Flash universe is, in fact, the Flash.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Onmi posted:

The bad I've heard about flash is that Barry Allen is the dumbest man alive in it.essentially to allow his support team to... Support him. But it has the take of making Barry a bloody moron.

He's seriously the worst person ever, to the point where if I lived in that universe and had a time machine I'm not sure if I'd use it to kill baby Hitler or baby Barry first.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Onmi posted:

The TV show made it so bad I couldn't make it through the second season. He really was the worst. I heard it got even worse after that.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

He's seriously the worst person ever, to the point where if I lived in that universe and had a time machine I'm not sure if I'd use it to kill baby Hitler or baby Barry first.

This would just create 5 evil Barrys.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
So would Barry if you waited a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think I dipped out of the tv show about the third time he travelled back in time to prevent his mom's murder - in my memory the scene even included a previous version of himself hiding in a closet winking at himself - despite having already done this twice each time making things worse in the present day and having multiple encounters with the time ghosts.