Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

a witch posted:

You can buy them from the card page in the compendium, but not the store tab.

oh. thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

JollyPubJerk posted:

so I can go buy a $10 burner phone, register a smurf, and poof, everyone's misery is not even an issue for my smurfs anymore..

intelligence has never been Valve's strong suit

https://www.twilio.com/sms/pricing

can't you just use something like this?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a witch posted:

You pay $10 for access to low mmr ranked dota, and you think you're the smart one in this situation?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

I might have to start playing ranked now

same here. I have no idea why solo queue isn't a thing for unranked. At least in the highly populated servers. 4 stacks are an abomination.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

tbh, I'm just looking forward to the next batch of excuses for your 9k brain being trapped in 4k dota

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
has solo q really been gone from dota 2 since 2014

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I had been playing Dota in late 2013 (I only know this because I remember Skeleton King tragedy) and I don't remember seeing any solo options back then, so I'd guess it's been gone even longer than that.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i'm really impressed they maintained player counts with its absence

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Relin posted:

i'm really impressed they maintained player counts with its absence

It didnt really. It's been in steady decline lately.

http://steamcharts.com/app/570#1y

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

IncendiaC posted:

Genuinely curious, why? Never played CSGO (which has the same system) but unless I'm missing something, there's no reason not to link a phone number unless you just simply don't have one.

i'm just generally not super happy about having to hand out private data to companies that don't really need them. i don't have a smurf so it's not about that. it's really just a privacy thing.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
God you sound like the hipsters i know who go out their way to buy non fluoride toothpaste.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
valve also has a history of massive boners when it comes to security. they're definitely on my low tier for companies i'd trust with personal info.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Macarius Wrench posted:

God you sound like the hipsters i know who go out their way to buy non fluoride toothpaste.

yeah well guess what buddy, i won't be the one mind controlled by the russians when the chips in your teeth get switched on

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Facebook and google already know more about me than I do myself, so whatever gently caress IT, use me and abuse me Valve.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Do you people not wanting to do the phone number thing not have the authenticator because if not lol as hell, and if you do you click a single button and it goes ok u can ranked now

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
i get privacy concerns, i don't even have a facebook but like... its a phone number, if you call anyone ever marketing companies have it

and again it's a phone number, what is going to happen aside from random spam calls?

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

and again it's a phone number, what is going to happen aside from random spam calls?

This. Its not a big deal. You can even have amusing conversations with double glazing sales people. Bonus!

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

Gaben might call in the middle of the night and just breathe into the phone.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
well if put it like this i'm actually on board

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

a witch posted:

You pay $10 for access to low mmr ranked dota, and you think you're the smart one in this situation?

wrecked

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ILL Machina posted:

As always, it's worth saying that past performance for a given team name means very little, especially with small sample sizes and variable rosters, but they have very little else to use with that kind of model. They base everything off those numbers, but it's a nice little Monte Carlo primer.

As a Python coder in my work life, I kinda wanna to know what he was trying to sell by calling the sim "a 10⁶ iteration Python loop".

I assume he means that's how many times the sim ran?

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

So you trust Steam/Valve with your CC number but not your phone number? Or have you guys honestly never bought anything off of steam or something?

Zand posted:

https://www.twilio.com/sms/pricing

can't you just use something like this?

http://blog.dota2.com/2017/04/matchmaking-update/ posted:

Online services that provide phone numbers are not allowed.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

schmitty9800 posted:

So you trust Steam/Valve with your CC number but not your phone number? Or have you guys honestly never bought anything off of steam or something?

here's a thought: i've already given them my cc number, anything they don't need i'd rather not give them on top of that. i'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

Do you people not wanting to do the phone number thing not have the authenticator because if not lol as hell, and if you do you click a single button and it goes ok u can ranked now

thats what it did for me. didnt even realize i had my phone on my steam acc for 2fa since 99999999999 years ago

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Seems worth it if it gets rid of smurfs and bought accounts.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

I had been playing Dota in late 2013 (I only know this because I remember Skeleton King tragedy) and I don't remember seeing any solo options back then, so I'd guess it's been gone even longer than that.

It was automatic. It saw you were queuing by yourself and tried to match you with only other solo players. The variability of quality games increased a tonne when they removed it and I even quit for a while because getting stuck with a 4 stack is even worse than getting stuck with a feeder and is far more common.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

botany posted:

here's a thought: i've already given them my cc number, anything they don't need i'd rather not give them on top of that. i'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.

So every time you buy something on Steam you leave this blank?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
No one fills that out every time they buy something. If your selection was just a little bit bigger...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

botany do you not have 2-step verification on your account? That seems rather insecure in this day and age.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I'm remembering that brief beautiful period when HoN had strict solo queue and it was so good. RIP

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I would have preferred the Social Security Number requirement for queuing US but this is fine too

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

steakmancer posted:

I would have preferred the Social Security Number requirement for queuing US but this is fine too

Ahh, the South Korean approach.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

steakmancer posted:

That's an even bigger privacy risk, because SSNs are dumb.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

a witch posted:

Thank you.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smythe posted:

$10 is a good filter for keeping the bulk of the dregs out.

source: https://www.somethingawful.com

of course, some chaff gets in, still - like the guy im quoting.

defeat matchmaking filter with this one weird trick from voice.google.com, if you're so mentally ill you need to pwn the heads of 9999 2k small sons to get a boner or whatever

if the psychological hurdle of :10bux: is enough to combat smurfs I'm not sure what to tell you

the 40 game limit already stops the vast majority of it. people are paying whatever minimal amount of money it takes to get those in the first place for their smurfs already.

none of this money goes to Valve either.

if you think :10bux: is necessary to combat it, well, you must have some sort of stake in thinking that money is a barrier required for good moderation.

the flaw has always been their lovely attitude about LPQ (and the MM formula) and their lovely methods of implementation, not the entire country of Peru.

JollyPubJerk fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 21, 2017

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a witch posted:

you realize that people use smurfs at their same mmr so they can play ranked, get LPQ, pay someone else to get rid of LPQ, and play on the smurf(s) meantime, right?

:jerkbag:

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kibner posted:

Ahh, the South Korean approach.

China too. That's why half the pc bangs have sketchy black networks you need to do special things on the computer to access, since the number of hours minors play on the computer is tied to your ID card (no matter where you play) and is heavily restricted. also why when the pc bang owner knows the inspector is coming he comes and shut downs white guy's computer and forces him to go out the back door even though he's in the middle of a DotA game because white guy isn't going to have a card.

JollyPubJerk fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 21, 2017

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
How much of the player base do you think really is going to go out there and buy burner phones so they can play some dude 1000 mmr below them in lane.

The previous barrier was 'make a free account' and 'play a few games of dota which you are doing anyways'

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

How much of the player base do you think really is going to go out there and buy burner phones so they can play some dude 1000 mmr below them in lane.

The previous barrier was 'make a free account' and 'play a few games of dota which you are doing anyways'

that's not the reason for most smurfing I see. people are either buying accts with higher mmr and then tanking them cause they suck, avoiding lpq on others, trying to hide games from others, or playing an alternate while their main is getting boosted. maybe twenty people are playing on accts 1k lower because of queue times and Valve's too stupid to get MM right.

people playing low mmr games to play lower skilled dota just party queue. the mmr inflates so bad that unless you're poopsocking half the time there's no way your two rankings are equal anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

JollyPubJerk posted:

you realize that people use smurfs at their same mmr so they can play ranked, get LPQ, pay someone else to get rid of LPQ, and play on the smurf(s) meantime, right?

• Locked thread