Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

NickRoweFillea posted:

Forgive me if I'm looking at it with rose tinted glasses, but is the 2016 NBA finals one of the best series we've ever seen?

The 2016 finals had too much league/referee tampering for my liking. Everyone is just remembering how it ended. After two games tons of people were calling it embarrassing and boring. The first three games were unmitigated blowouts. LBJ did put up the best seven game series finals performance since at least 1974 Kareem however. So it was the best in that respect.

2015 finals also had injury issues, 2014 finals was a comedic series of blowouts with Wade looking confused on the bench.

In recent years I'd probably go with the 2013 finals as I'd rather watch those games again. And the 2012 finals did have an extreme concentration of the best league talent: LBJ and Wade vs. Harden and Durant. That's four out of the top five WS/48 guys facing off.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

The fact that our numerical system is in base 10 is the reason people think Westbrook should be MVP.

If it was base 8 I suppose RW would be leading the league with 49 triple octals.

ButtWolf posted:

Goddamm Russ. Good efficiency too. 7 tos in 1st half, 0 in 2nd.

He's getting close to the seemingly impossible sixty point triple double. Rick Barry once did 64/10/9 but that's just a triple octal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Although doubles such as LaMarc Gasoldridge and the two Morrises are known to occur naturally*, I'm still finding it somewhat difficult to form hybrids of three or more NBA players.
LeBron James Anderson Varejao
Carmelo Anthony Davis Bertans
Carmelo Anthony Mason Plumlee

Using footnote players I was able to form a five-headed beast of Claude Gregory Anthony Randolph Morris Almond, but this chimera would still only have played (315 + 15850 + 3841 + 438 + 361 =) 20,805 regular season minutes in the NBA, substantially fewer than, for example, the 42,000+ regular season minutes (40988 + 92 + 1143) a three-headed LeBron James Cotton Nash creature is capable of putting in.

*I believe smart teams may be able to harness this sort of power? I assume the team Dokmo works for focuses on this. For example, the '06-'07 Celtics featured both Tony Allen and a shooting guard named Allan Ray. During the offseason they cut Allan Ray, acquired Ray Allen, and the next season they won the title. It is believed that the Nets organization attempted to copy this winning Celtics tactic when in 2011-12 they acquired a team of Deron Williams, Jordan Williams, Shawne Williams, Shelden Williams. It even seemed to be working, the team immediately upgraded from Being In New Jersey to Being In Brooklyn, attendance jumped from 30 of 30, league worst, to 16th of 30, but the management couldn't keep up with the changing pace of the league, and we all know how that machine collapsed into a heap.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Does James on Curry count as a trio player?

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
The Celtics erred pretty seriously when they went from Gerald Green to Jeff Green.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

This is one of those uncommon years where the #2 WS guy isn't even in the conversation (Rudy Gobert). Kind of like 2004 Peja Stojakovic and 2002 Elton Brand.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Is it a fair tie-breaker to use the hypothetical of "Who would get more wins if Harden and Westbrook swapped places?"

My tie-breaker would be which player would you want in game seven of an NBA finals on your team.

I think the answer has been LBJ for some time.

Spacebump posted:

Durant said he wouldn't have gone there if they won the title.

He could've been lying like a politician.

EvanTH posted:

Using footnote players I was able to form a five-headed beast of Claude Gregory Anthony Randolph Morris Almond, but this chimera would still only have played (315 + 15850 + 3841 + 438 + 361 =) 20,805 regular season minutes in the NBA, substantially fewer than, for example, the 42,000+ regular season minutes (40988 + 92 + 1143) a three-headed LeBron James Cotton Nash creature is capable of putting in.

Chris Paul George = 43,861 minutes.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Chris Paul Pierce = 75,300 minutes

Probably the most out of a twosome. Not as much fun as a threesome obviously.

e: Ray Allen Iverson = 83,918 minutes

Jason Williams Russell Westbrook

e: x2

Byron Scott Williams Russell Westbrook

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 30, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Kyle Wiltjer Chamberlain = 47859 minutes for Wilt and like 5 for Kyle Wiltjer

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Zogo posted:

The 2016 finals had too much league/referee tampering for my liking. Everyone is just remembering how it ended. After two games tons of people were calling it embarrassing and boring. The first three games were unmitigated blowouts. LBJ did put up the best seven game series finals performance since at least 1974 Kareem however. So it was the best in that respect.

Zogo, you need to reset the chatbot feature of your program. Every post is about rigging now.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Edit: whoops posted on accident

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Niwrad posted:

I don't think you can go wrong with either guy but Westbrook does stat hunt more (although Harden does as well) and they put him back into games that are out of reach so he can get the triple double. Also while triple doubles are cool it's just an arbitrary thing we celebrate.

My friend all of sports boils down to "just an arbitrary thing we celebrate".

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Is it a fair tie-breaker to use the hypothetical of "Who would get more wins if Harden and Westbrook swapped places?"

If we use this, shouldn't the award go to Lebron?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Zogo posted:

Chris Paul George = 43,861 minutes.

Chris Paul George Gervin. That's 78k if you count ABA (like you should).

Zogo posted:

The 2016 finals had too much league/referee tampering for my liking. Everyone is just remembering how it ended.

When Silver starts talking to you through your teeth you'll let us know first, yeah?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Femur posted:

I think Stack will never get to HC. He is very hot headed, and potentially violent, which a cursory background check would flag right away.

I did it guys. I found the worst take.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I think Rudy Gobert has inherited the most underrated guy crown

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

EvanTH posted:

Although doubles such as LaMarc Gasoldridge and the two Morrises are known to occur naturally*, I'm still finding it somewhat difficult to form hybrids of three or more NBA players.

*I believe smart teams may be able to harness this sort of power? I assume the team Dokmo works for focuses on this. For example, the '06-'07 Celtics featured both Tony Allen and a shooting guard named Allan Ray. During the offseason they cut Allan Ray, acquired Ray Allen, and the next season they won the title. It is believed that the Nets organization attempted to copy this winning Celtics tactic when in 2011-12 they acquired a team of Deron Williams, Jordan Williams, Shawne Williams, Shelden Williams. It even seemed to be working, the team immediately upgraded from Being In New Jersey to Being In Brooklyn, attendance jumped from 30 of 30, league worst, to 16th of 30, but the management couldn't keep up with the changing pace of the league, and we all know how that machine collapsed into a heap.

e: accidental post i'm working on something here

What if we cheat and assume that anyone named Fred could be also be called Frederick? Maybe by a stern parent.

Carmelo Anthony Frederick Lewis Alcindor

Let's take that a step forward and assume that Christ is short for Christian

Carmelo Anthony Frederick Christ Laettner

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 31, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

Next level

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Time posted:

I think Rudy Gobert has inherited the most underrated guy crown

Probably, though he should win DPOY this year.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

EvanTH posted:

This is some hard hitting analysis

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I think it's a little disingenuous to call a triple-double an arbitrary stat. Maybe in the isolated case of a single game it doesn't tell you much, but Westbrook is going to average it for an entire season (which hasn't been accomplished for decades). And it's not some bullshit where he's at 10.1/10.1/10.1 -- he leads the league in PPG (by a healthy margin, mind), is third in APG, and 12th in RPG.

Really though, this might be one of the craziest seasons for picking an MVP. Harden and Westbrook are balling out of control, LBJ is having one of his most efficient seasons ever, Kawhi is a finely tuned basketball-oriented android, and Wall is having a career year that in any other year would absolutely have him in the conversation but this year no one gives a poo poo about.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Brandon Roy and Randy Foye were traded for each other on draft day. Brandon Roy was a star before he fell apart. I suspect this magic is quite fleeting.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Noctone posted:

I think it's a little disingenuous to call a triple-double an arbitrary stat. Maybe in the isolated case of a single game it doesn't tell you much, but Westbrook is going to average it for an entire season (which hasn't been accomplished for decades). And it's not some bullshit where he's at 10.1/10.1/10.1 -- he leads the league in PPG (by a healthy margin, mind), is third in APG, and 12th in RPG.

A triple double is impressive, but what is stupid and arbitrary is to pretend there is a world of difference between 31/10/10 and 28/8/11. Just because one is a triple double doesn't mean it's magically better. For counting stats both are really good, and efficiency is where the difference is.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The 2 extra rebounds does not make Westbrook infinitely better than Harden or Lebron, who are both shooting and creating far more efficient baskets for him and his team

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Lockback posted:

A triple double is impressive, but what is stupid and arbitrary is to pretend there is a world of difference between 31/10/10 and 28/8/11. Just because one is a triple double doesn't mean it's magically better. For counting stats both are really good, and efficiency is where the difference is.

Tae posted:

The 2 extra rebounds does not make Westbrook infinitely better than Harden or Lebron, who are both shooting and creating far more efficient baskets for him and his team

Yeah I don't disagree with either of these posts. Just the sentiment that averaging a TD is worthy of little more than a shrug.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's arbitrary in that you're trying to string up an argument using a specific number on why this player deserves it over other players who nearly have the same "triple-double" but way better in the other offensive parts of basketball.

In any other year, Westbrook's feat would be eye-popping but I always said he picked the wrong season to average one for MVP lockdown considerations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zogo posted:

He's getting close to the seemingly impossible sixty point triple double. Rick Barry once did 64/10/9 but that's just a triple octal.

Would not be surprised if Wilt did this at least once (or more than once) with blocks as the third stat.

Zogo posted:

He could've been lying like a politician.

This made me smile and is likely true. I should have never defended Durant as he has been fake as hell during his career.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Draymond Green/Chris Paul are the co-MVPS and Gobert is DPOY. Who's most improved? Eric Gordon? Is it fair to give it to someone who's playing like they used to play befre a lot of injuries? Who else is there? Do we exlude third or 4th year guys who SHOULD be improved Bebe Noguiera, Aaron Gordon post all star break, Otto Porter, who else, James Johnson set free, Nick Young, Joe Ingles?

Rookie of the year has to be Malcom Brogdon if you take Embiid out for lack of playing time. Maybe Saric is a close #2

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 31, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
No matter what happens this season, Emmanuel Mudiay fell out of the rotation completely and has only appeared in 5 games in March. For that I am thankful

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Everyone go blow my man Kibner up on twitter so his cool band can come to memphis and play for the kids at St. Jude

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Dejan Bimble posted:

Draymond Green/Chris Paul are the co-MVPS and Gobert is DPOY. Who's most improved? Eric Gordon? Is it fair to give it to someone who's playing like they used to play before a lot of injuries?

Nurkic

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

NickRoweFillea posted:

Everyone go blow my man Kibner up on twitter so his cool band can come to memphis and play for the kids at St. Jude

Let's get that direct link in here.
https://www.gofundme.com/HarmonieMusic

Kibner, I haven't donated yet but promise I will sometime in the next few hours

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Nurkic is a good example of how much role and team construction matter in producing optimal results, James Johnson is in a similar category, set the man free and he'll do everything, try and tie him down and he'll be an okay backup tweener

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Shouldn't someone like Kawhi win DPOY over Gobert since he is defending 3's more than 2's? Would you rather have a great wing defender or Center on your team? I'd take the wing.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Dejan Bimble posted:

Nurkic is a good example of how much role and team construction matter in producing optimal results, James Johnson is in a similar category, set the man free and he'll do everything, try and tie him down and he'll be an okay backup tweener

i suppose the change of scenery is big, so maybe we're just getting a showcase of what he already had in the chamber? he still had to step up, though.

ricky learned to shoot, right? that's a drat miracle if it's backed up by nerd numbers

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I don't have the numbers but I'm pretty sure Gobert is seriously dropping fg% in the paint for the opposing team, which is a really valuable thing to have.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

attackmole posted:

I did it guys. I found the worst take.

dude just do a quick Google. Guy is known for fighting.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
My opinions:

Ya JamesOn Curry (4 seconds played in the NBA) illustrates a special case. By most readings LeBron JamesOn Curry is two people, but during the NBA finals he can be as few as one, but a separate one from the initial two, so he is therefore three. It's a bent-standard father/son/holy ghost type situation.

attackmole posted:

e: accidental post i'm working on something here

What if we cheat and assume that anyone named Fred could be also be called Frederick? Maybe by a stern parent.

Carmelo Anthony Frederick Lewis Alcindor

Let's take that a step forward and assume that Christ is short for Christian

Carmelo Anthony Frederick Christ Laettner

Cheating unfortunately opens up a bunch of issues--substituting Williams for William would open up innumerable avenues Ray Williams and his 18462 minutes practically guarantees absurd strings. And then, what's okay? Slight alterations in spelling? Is any transition of only one letter difference acceptable? Is Donald the same as Donaldson? It might get out of hand way too quick. Bill Russell's middle name was Felton, can I use that? Using the previous examples you could form:

LeBron James Ray All(e/a)n Ray 'Felton' Russell Westbrook
or go for wild things like
Carmelo Anthony William(s) Robert(s) (O')Bri(e/a)n Oliver (Ollie) Mack Calvin (CJ) M(i/y)les Patrick Christopher Paul George Karl Malone
It might quickly become meaningless.

BTW did you guys know the Knicks got mathematically eliminated from playoff contention last night? It's now the offseason and I can't wait to watch them win out.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I was wondering the other night whether Nurkic could be a contender for most improved. Does less than half a season count for improvement.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

leftist heap posted:

I was wondering the other night whether Nurkic could be a contender for most improved. Does less than half a season count for improvement.

that's the funny part, he just blooms

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's true. His per-possession and most other rate stats in POR are almost identical to his play back in DEN, he was always this good and it was kinda weird Denver couldn't get more for him. Was he supposed to be a locker room problem or were the Nuggets just overly focused on Jokic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

EvanTH posted:

My opinions:

Ya JamesOn Curry (4 seconds played in the NBA) illustrates a special case. By most readings LeBron JamesOn Curry is two people, but during the NBA finals he can be as few as one, but a separate one from the initial two, so he is therefore three. It's a bent-standard father/son/holy ghost type situation.

Cheating unfortunately opens up a bunch of issues--substituting Williams for William would open up innumerable avenues Ray Williams and his 18462 minutes practically guarantees absurd strings. And then, what's okay? Slight alterations in spelling? Is any transition of only one letter difference acceptable? Is Donald the same as Donaldson? It might get out of hand way too quick. Bill Russell's middle name was Felton, can I use that? Using the previous examples you could form:

LeBron James Ray All(e/a)n Ray 'Felton' Russell Westbrook
or go for wild things like
Carmelo Anthony William(s) Robert(s) (O')Bri(e/a)n Oliver (Ollie) Mack Calvin (CJ) M(i/y)les Patrick Christopher Paul George Karl Malone
It might quickly become meaningless.

BTW did you guys know the Knicks got mathematically eliminated from playoff contention last night? It's now the offseason and I can't wait to watch them win out.

loving lmao

• Locked thread