Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

You can tell things are getting bad because the leaks are all becoming very circular. Sad!

Can you ask if they'll at least add procedurally generated birds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzr posted:

I don't feel bad for them. Outside of contractors or short term contracts, anyone who worked at CIG and co for years participate at least passively in this scam. I hope this will be an indelible stain on their resume.

I can relate believing in a project and putting your heart and soul into it but this isn't

2013 or "Hey our promises are kinda big and outlandish but we are getting to work"
2014 or "Okay our release is this year, big game, scope expanded though so okay it's pushed"
2015 or "Alright we are a year late but we expanded the scope. THATS the reason we aren't releasing. Yep. Buy ships though."
2016 or "Here is an obviously fake demo. Buy ships. Buy more ships. Here is another fake demo. BUY SHIPS. BUY SHIPS. BUY SHIPS."

it's almost six years in and they are still working for people that have taken advantage of thousands of people that have obvious mental deficiencies to the point where there will be marriages and families destroyed and a real world death toll from these people paying tens of thousands of dollars for obvious lies.

I still support the 99% of the company that aren't responsible but at a certain point you lose your plausible deniability since you are the ones enabling this scam to continue by designing the new artwork and being the middleman between a talentless hack and autistic peoples wallets.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

praying that the backers imagination will continue to fill in the gaps. :allears:

Doesn't it always? :)

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Space Crabs posted:

This is where the rubber meets the road. This is where we see how desperate the backers are. They ran out of fake demos and are now spending all year to make a fake game. Backers will not understand why it is a fake game and be unable to parse the difference between a game and a fake game.

Not quite sure yet. A good exploration sandbox on a big map would be the perfect illusion of progress and is relatively easy to make. Look how fast Ubisoft was able to turn Farcry 3 into Blood Dragon. Backer will proclaim "See ! the game is progressing !" and if done well it could still bring more $$$ to the furnace and even get some new cash from the few people that like sci-fi but not space ships.

I still think the whole mess wont go belly up completely untill they release either a chapter of SQ42 or soon after you can buy ships with in game money

TheAgent posted:

They'll be rolling out the FPS kits/classes (it's been talked about since forever) soon enough. With ground exploration, I'm sure they'll do another hoverbike sale with the rovers.

Ohh more technical debt ! I cant think of a (PC or console)game that has got away with selling "class" for money yet. Heroes with completely new playstyle and powers, yes, but the "norm" for class kits is unlocks from experience or "mission budget" from previous rounds played in a match.

Cant wait to have them try balancing classes...

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 16, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

Can you ask if they'll at least add procedurally generated birds?
Birds 1.0 is in 4.0, they need the new Subsumption and Item 2.0 systems done first, as well as Fauna 1.0

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Space Crabs posted:

I can relate believing in a project and putting your heart and soul into it but this isn't

2013 or "Hey our promises are kinda big and outlandish but we are getting to work"
2014 or "Okay our release is this year, big game, scope expanded though so okay it's pushed"
2015 or "Alright we are a year late but we expanded the scope. THATS the reason we aren't releasing. Yep. Buy ships though."
2016 or "Here is an obviously fake demo. Buy ships. Buy more ships. Here is another fake demo. BUY SHIPS. BUY SHIPS. BUY SHIPS."

it's almost six years in and they are still working for people that have taken advantage of thousands of people that have obvious mental deficiencies to the point where there will be marriages and families destroyed and a real world death toll from these people paying tens of thousands of dollars for obvious lies.

I still support the 99% of the company that aren't responsible but at a certain point you lose your plausible deniability since you are the ones enabling this scam to continue by designing the new artwork and being the middleman between a talentless hack and autistic peoples wallets.

Might be a case where even the devs working there are bound into it by sunk cost fallacy much like it's whales. :) (sunk effort fallacy? is that a thing?)

I kinda feel bad for them, but to be honest, a lot of them are quite talented and obviously would do well at a real software studio, so my advice to them would be "find a better project to use your skills in, CIG will be a bad sticky stain on your resume's".

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

Birds 1.0 is in 4.0, they need the new Subsumption and Item 2.0 systems done first, as well as Fauna 1.0

:saddowns:

Real question: Will the planet be an actual planet or just a flat map?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

I'm assuming a flat map by what was sent to me

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Daztek posted:

Fap map. Lumberyard is good at those, like wankpods.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

boviscopophobic posted:

yet to fund this activity they will need to make yet more promises in order to sell even more ships, ground vehicles, weapons, real estate, etc.

The next CIG cash cow will be Capitol Ships. Capitol ships of all kinds.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • 3.0 will arrive this year
  • in the first release, there will be a planetary landing mode accessible from the main screen (or space stations)
  • you will not be able to fly down to the planet from space
  • there will be rovers akin to the mako for ground exploration
  • desert planet populated with several small oasis
  • playable space is less than 100km2
  • 3.0 will include a new player inventory
  • no new ship inventory in this release
  • mining will be available
  • player to player trading is not available in this release
  • crafting will not be in this release
  • the planet will only hold 32 players
  • the planet will be instanced
  • currently no ground combat npcs or other life
  • the planet will not track changes made by players
  • this will be the only planet available for this release
  • will feature 3 distinct, hand crafted outposts with new quests
  • players will not be able to go underwater (unsure if this means no water or that they can't get in water or what)
  • sqlude has been pushed to q1 2018
  • mocap cleanup still ongoing with "years" of manpower still to come
  • many npcs and quests from sq42 have been migrated to SC, as SC specific quests (3.0 planet will feature these)

flyingpigs.gifv

I don't disagree with the scaled back scope of the above, but I think CIG is going to gloriously fail at even this.

When you try and build a mcmansion on a sand trap...

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hav posted:

Yeah, I was aware and thought they'd slacken off after they got their 2.6 MvP out. Continuing at crunch rate has to be hitting some labor laws, but they'll definitely start burning out people that presumably have some tribal knowledge embedded from the last few years.

That's going to create a hell of a lot of turnover.

Crunch is incredibly inefficient after a certain point in a creative business like game development. It works for a few weeks, then you're basically just burning people out for what amounts to a lower/worse output compared to letting them have a healthy work/life balance. It's evil AND stupid.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DapperDon posted:

The next CIG cash cow will be Capitol Ships. Capitol ships of all kinds.

Sorry, pet peeve.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheAgent posted:

Crunch has already been over a full year at this point, with zero chance of it stopping.

Stick a pirate hat on Roberts and call him Cap'n Crunch.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Raskolnikov posted:

flyingpigs.gifv

we are getting very close to the "Survival game" event horizon.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
goons visiting r/starcitizen today

I'm glad of it

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

Crunch is incredibly inefficient after a certain point in a creative business like game development. It works for a few weeks, then you're basically just burning people out for what amounts to a lower/worse output compared to letting them have a healthy work/life balance. It's evil AND stupid.
please take chris's lead and hop into a time machine to relive the 1980's glory days of working at origin for 90 hours a week

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
If they put a planet in, they'll sell building plots and space bungalows. The concerns over water not working are no doubt due to the swimming pools needed for the luxury mansion market.

Also cars, he'll going to sell exotic cars again, only pretend ones this time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I could care less about your mute point when you tow the line of correctness.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sabreseven posted:

Might be a case where even the devs working there are bound into it by sunk cost fallacy much like it's whales. :) (sunk effort fallacy? is that a thing?)

I kinda feel bad for them, but to be honest, a lot of them are quite talented and obviously would do well at a real software studio, so my advice to them would be "find a better project to use your skills in, CIG will be a bad sticky stain on your resume's".

Sunk effort fallacy is very real (it's still called sunk cost fallacy, but here the cost is time invested rather than money). It's rampant among the extremely inexperienced. Established masters of their trade know when things are going south or not, and cut their losses. Inexperienced employees do not - they're more likely to stick with it, and make it even worse by mistaking ignorance for loyalty, thus giving themselves the moral high ground while simultaneously wasting their lives away.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

It's evil AND stupid.

Ford – “Quality is job one”

IBM – “Think”

Google – “Don’t be evil”

Apple Computer – “Think Different”

Cloud Imperium Games - "It's evil AND stupid"

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

TheAgent posted:

please take chris's lead and hop into a time machine to relive the 1980's glory days of working at origin for 90 hours a week

I crunched for all of 4 weeks last year, and that was way more than normal because I was working on two different projects that both had upcoming releases (Stellaris and HOI4). I don't think I crunched a single week in 2015. When we did crunch, HR provided everyone with free dinner so we could just focus on hitting our goals. As a precision tool, crunch is useful when you need to push the bug count down or meet a specific target date, but as a blunt instrument it's stupid, cruel and wasteful.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Scruffpuff posted:

Sunk effort fallacy is very real (it's still called sunk cost fallacy, but here the cost is time invested rather than money). It's rampant among the extremely inexperienced. Established masters of their trade know when things are going south or not, and cut their losses. Inexperienced employees do not - they're more likely to stick with it, and make it even worse by mistaking ignorance for loyalty, thus giving themselves the moral high ground while simultaneously wasting their lives away.

This is incredibly applicable and applies to other industries. I'm not in game design but I've seen the same concept applied to a multitude of situations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I could care less about your mute point when you tow the line of correctness.

Could be worse.

ahmini
May 5, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41P8UxneDJE

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

On mobile and couldn't be bothered to gently caress with the autocorrect.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wiz posted:

Yes, but just before that burnout level you do actually get return from it. That's why it's so insidious.

And not just return like "we got these fools to work 50% more hours for the same pay, muahaha!" Some parts of making a videogame can't be solved well by hiring more people, only by putting in more time. So you have really bad choices between delays or crunch. In an ideal world those choices would always be made to avoid crunch... but if you're in the thick it and you have passion for your project, you might do it of your own volition.

e: oh right you're the paradox guy, you know this! but for the benefit of other readers I'll leave it here.

I happened to watch a video profile of this dude Daisuke Ishiwatari, the lead developer of Guilty Gear. In it he mentions that back when he started his studio, he spent more than a year living at the office in crunch. Which is loving crazy, but at least in that case he was the boss, and he was rewarded for his work. A lot of the fuckery of crunch these days is that it takes the stories of what people did when they had ownership, stock options, or other big incentives, and tries to apply it to people who are just getting a regular salary.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 17, 2017

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

AP posted:

If they put a planet in, they'll sell building plots and space bungalows. The concerns over water not working are no doubt due to the swimming pools needed for the luxury mansion market.

Also cars, he'll going to sell exotic cars again, only pretend ones this time.

Its working for Gariott, so why not for him ?

In time, people will forget about the 100 space systems and be happy to live in the 100 km map.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

I crunched for all of 4 weeks last year, and that was way more than normal because I was working on two different projects that both had upcoming releases (Stellaris and HOI4). I don't think I crunched a single week in 2015. When we did crunch, HR provided everyone with free dinner so we could just focus on hitting our goals. As a precision tool, crunch is useful when you need to push the bug count down or meet a specific target date, but as a blunt instrument it's stupid, cruel and wasteful.
look, mr game developer

maybe you don't understand game development

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Yeah. So I post there regularly as part of my plan to keep them on a constant state of anxiety over at /r/ds/ :grin:

Derek, fess up, do you have share in anti-anxiety drug companies? Is that where you made your money over all these years? ........ Master Troll Move!

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

TheAgent posted:

look, mr game developer

maybe you don't understand game development

Clearly, CIG are just doing new things that nobody has ever done before, like crunching for a whole year.

... I wish the first part of that statement was true.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Klyith posted:

I happened to watch a video profile of this dude Daisuke Ishiwatari, the lead developer of Guilty Gear. In it he mentions that back when he started his studio, he spent more than a year living at the office in crunch. Which is loving crazy, but at least in that case he was the boss, and he was rewarded for his work. A lot of the fuckery of crunch these days is that it takes the stories of what people did when they had ownership, stock options, or other big incentives, and tries to apply it to people who are just getting a regular salary.

Also take into account Japanese corporate culture in the equation. 60h week is nearly the norm for them and business owners are expected to be married with the business and spend nearly all avaiable time there. Japanese wife and girfriends dont bitch when you have to work late or have to come in on a saturday.

Kitten after crunch time.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 17, 2017

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Ah, I didn't know that, thanks :)

Yeah, I'm totally calling it now that the dev's determination to continue working at that place and being nonchalant to the lasting effect on their career is down to sunk effort fallacy. Heck I can kinda empathise with them if it is that, we've all kept plugging away at something even though in our minds we know some things can turn into a lost cause. (In my case it's usually something simple like trying in vain to turn a seized nut on a resto project without snapping the bolt though lol) :D

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sabreseven posted:

Ah, I didn't know that, thanks :)

Yeah, I'm totally calling it now that the dev's determination to continue working at that place and being nonchalant to the lasting effect on their career is down to sunk effort fallacy. Heck I can kinda empathise with them if it is that, we've all kept plugging away at something even though in our minds we know some things can turn into a lost cause. (In my case it's usually something simple like trying in vain to turn a seized nut on a resto project without snapping the bolt though lol) :D

Honestly, I've never known a game studio to hold past work on doomed pie in the sky projects against people when hiring. Hell, in my experience the majority of game developers have worked on such projects at least once. I mean, sure, if you were directly responsible for the mess it's one thing but Bob the 3D artist doesn't exactly set the production schedule. Even causing the mess is forgivable if you can show you've learned from it. We've all been there.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 17, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Wiz posted:

Gamasutra: The Game Outcomes Project, Part 4: Crunch Makes Games Worse

quote:

Part 4 in a 5-part series analyzing the results of the Game Outcomes Project survey, which polled hundreds of game developers to determine how teamwork, culture, leadership, production, and project management contribute to game project success or failure.

quote:

Our results clearly demonstrate that crunch doesn't lead to extraordinary results. In fact, on the whole, crunch makes games LESS successful wherever it is used, and when projects try to dig themselves out of a hole by crunching, it only digs the hole deeper.

Perhaps the notion that “extraordinary results require extraordinary effort” is misguided.

Perhaps “effort” – as defined by working extra hours in an attempt to accomplish more – is actually counterproductive.

Our study seems to reveal that what actually generates “extraordinary results” – the factors that actually make great games great – have nothing to do with mere “effort” and everything to do with focus, team cohesion, a compelling direction, psychological safety, risk management, and a large number of other cultural factors that enhance team effectiveness.

And we suggest that abuse of overtime makes that level of focus and team cohesion increasingly more difficult to achieve, eliminating any possible positive effects from overtime.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Stupid, cruel and wasteful basically sound like Chris Roberts' core leadership philosophy

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Wiz posted:

Pfft like you know anything about game development!

super excited for that Stellaris DLC, I want to see what terror happens to my space ant farm this time!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Crunch for a day every now and then is fine, or something like a week once a year, if you're trying to hit some important deadline. More than that and the boss should be hearing "extraordinary work has extraordinary requirements", by which you obviously mean shitloads of money next payday and 3 months of vacation next year.

If you're going to make yourself rich by using me, make me rich too, bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012