Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
is a 5600g and a 5600u the same or similar chip, just with a different form factor and slightly more power optimized like all laptop parts, or is it totally different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They are very similar, except that the 5600G is allowed to user over 3x as much power, which will give it a lot more performance, obviously.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Agreed posted:

RGB is also fine and there's absolutely no moral point at all to stand on one way or another here to insult people over. It's just personal preference.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

RGB is a blight and can actually harm your system at a hardware level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnST5rA64Oc

RGB has pulled back somewhat from the heights of its madness, whether directly or indirectly because of the silicon shortage and The 'Rona, but there is an insane product manager chained up in Corsair's basement slavering and howling about "RGB m.2 SSDs" and if they get loose, it will be the end for all of us.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 29, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I can get behind avoiding overheating bullshit hardware, but RGB fans aren't hurting anybody and if you care a lot about other people using them, try not to :shrug:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is it right that:

1. Ryzen 5500 is only PCIe 3, and so is 5600G, and so are the new 4000 series

2. Ryzen 5600 non-X is PCIe 4

3. But if I have a B350 board then it doesn't matter because B350 is only PCIE 3

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

K8.0 posted:

When even old geezers on somethingawful are defending RGB, there is truly no hope for the world. Aliens please come wipe us out, we deserve it.

The only thing worse than RGB is alienware.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is it right that:

1. Ryzen 5500 is only PCIe 3, and so is 5600G, and so are the new 4000 series

2. Ryzen 5600 non-X is PCIe 4

3. But if I have a B350 board then it doesn't matter because B350 is only PCIE 3

As far as that goes, yes. However, everything below the 5600 non-X (including the 5600G) also has cut down L3 cache, which is probably more important than the PCIe 4 support.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eyes Only posted:

The only thing worse than RGB is alienware.

alienware makes legitimately good monitors though

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I have been saying in this thread for years that RGB lighting seems very juvenile and I have always found it very weird how grown adults go ga-ga for it. Why colored lights specifically? It's just bizarre and strange. By all means go ahead, don't let me tell you what to do though. It's your life

:goonsay:

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Inept posted:

same reason people made fun of that goon's doom bathroom

My RGB setup is set optimally to entice the ladies

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Agreed posted:

Juvenile, weird, bizarre and strange? Most humans have color vision, and liking colorful poo poo is not juvenile. The tech to do this in the first place has only gotten really good in recent memory - when I was younger people were already trying to ornament their cases, though, with cold cathode tubes and other lighting sources. As the tech to control RGB has improved it doesn't surprise me at all that people like building with and using it - it's colorful, to me it looks neat. Simple as that. I don't understand why it elicits a reaction from anyone else, why does anyone care?

You do you, it's fine, there's nothing wrong with having an aesthetic preference for a minimalist or functional case. RGB is also fine and there's absolutely no moral point at all to stand on one way or another here to insult people over. It's just personal preference.

Exactly.

I'm not really "into" RGB, but since some of my parts have it, I simply set it so the colors indicate processor temperature range, while the GPU's RGB indicates the GPU temperature range. To me it's just a fun little observation while using it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Agreed posted:

Juvenile, weird, bizarre and strange? Most humans have color vision, and liking colorful poo poo is not juvenile. The tech to do this in the first place has only gotten really good in recent memory - when I was younger people were already trying to ornament their cases, though, with cold cathode tubes and other lighting sources. As the tech to control RGB has improved it doesn't surprise me at all that people like building with and using it - it's colorful, to me it looks neat. Simple as that. I don't understand why it elicits a reaction from anyone else, why does anyone care?

You do you, it's fine, there's nothing wrong with having an aesthetic preference for a minimalist or functional case. RGB is also fine and there's absolutely no moral point at all to stand on one way or another here to insult people over. It's just personal preference.

Your room looks like a pride parade, doesn't it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My wife asked "why does your computer have a rainbow coming out of it" and for the life of me I couldn't think of a good answer

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

My wife asked "why does your computer have a rainbow coming out of it" and for the life of me I couldn't think of a good answer

The correct answer is 'why doesn't yours?'

I'm past the bit of my life where I cared about other people liking things. The only issue I have with the RGB fad is that it's bent the market so that it's actually sometimes difficult to find something that's just plain and doesn't light up, and cases all assume I want a window on the side for some reason.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i hate rgb, but I kinda like having the visual feedback of a window pane. it’s a nice middle ground, but more hardware switches to turn off rgb wouldn’t be the worst either

figuring out what your fans are doing in a black box is such a pain

kliras fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 29, 2022

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Alchenar posted:

The correct answer is 'why doesn't yours?'

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I’ve never had issues finding non-RGB parts even in the peak of the fad, seems a bit overblown

The Alienware OLED I bought recently has a pretty bland design and the lighting can be turned off with a single option

:shrug:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 29, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
style is subjective and we love to pretend what we do is "normal" and what someone else does is gaudy. like, gamer black and red are a fashion statement. plain black boxes are a fashion statement. beige mid 2000s function is a fashion statement. they'll all look ridiculous to someone and I quantifiably assure you if you post any, literally any, computer I can find silly aesthetic solutions designed to signal this or the other and personalize their expensive toy as they like it.

and I aint give a gently caress lol I dragged my VERY homophobic friend teenaged friend group out to Pride because our gay friend was going to be there so his friends were going to be there. Im very confident in my sexuality and I guess it doesn't bother me?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
in this life I have found it desirable to develop a high unicorn tolerance, even if you are a goth

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
rgb also appears to be getting a lot better so the lighting quality isn’t as horrendous as it used to be

pure white lighting looks pretty neat, assuming the lights are decent quality, which still technically falls under “rgb”

firmware being little more than malware, and the hardware aspect being a total hassle haven’t changed at all though

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

kliras posted:

rgb also appears to be getting a lot better so the lighting quality isn’t as horrendous as it used to be

pure white lighting looks pretty neat, assuming the lights are decent quality, which still technically falls under “rgb”

firmware being little more than malware, and the hardware aspect being a total hassle haven’t changed at all though

That's 99% of the justified beef with RGB. Nobody would complain if there is an easy and foolproof way to control those lights, especially at the "SHUT THE FUCKERS OFF" aspect of it.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Nothing is worse than the people who sit their case on the desk, angled like a second monitor, so they can look at the lovely RGB and fans spinning.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://i.imgur.com/FP79bHT.mp4

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I see lots of cool scifi poo poo in scifi movies. RGB allows the consumer to have a tiny slice of that scifi dream in their life. I thought I'd never get rgb. I even bought a case without a window. Then one day I thought hmm how it would look like with a window? Then welp..

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Why would you care? Is it any of your business? For that matter, whatcha got against pride parades, poster? :raise:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The problem with rgb as was said above is that its forced on everything, has no standards, the firmware and software to manage it are gaping security holes and malware and they've been known yo physically short other components.

So yes the colors are fine if not gaudy and obnoxious, its the other bullshit that's objectively bad.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My meshify compact has a tinted glass panel, I kinda like it because at least I can see the FE cooler which is a neat looking thing and also the B R O W N D15. I did turn off the RGB on the motherboard tho as it was a bit distracting.

I do like seeing all those fancy RGB builds tho idk if I could live with it myself. The software hassle and also all the extra wiring for fans is a bit too much effort for me.

I think the software part is the most annoying, my old GPU was a ROG Strix one and the default RGB setup was constantly pulsing red. So I thought ‘oh I’ll just install the software turn the rgb off and then remove it’

Turns out you needed the rgb software installed to keep the rgb off ffs.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
just finished setting up my new case, and for some reason, my memory sticks are running some awful pulsating thing that i'm sure would look great if i had four sticks instead of just two that just look out of sync

i want to download some firmware to disable it, but then i remember that time when the hack that is writing rgb settings to ram spd could also end up bricking it so i think i'll just chill and watch the fireworks for the night

also my gpu's green now which is fine i guess, as it's an old 1070 that didn't have the rtx feature of rgb animation yet

i'd hope the rgb buttons on the case plugged into the motherboard could send a simple "just do a simple solid colour" signal, but i guess it has to be fluent in each of the rgb languages of all my three component manufacturers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kliras posted:

just finished setting up my new case, and for some reason, my memory sticks are running some awful pulsating thing that i'm sure would look great if i had four sticks instead of just two that just look out of sync

i want to download some firmware to disable it, but then i remember that time when the hack that is writing rgb settings to ram spd could also end up bricking it so i think i'll just chill and watch the fireworks for the night

also my gpu's green now which is fine i guess, as it's an old 1070 that didn't have the rtx feature of rgb animation yet

i'd hope the rgb buttons on the case plugged into the motherboard could send a simple "just do a simple solid colour" signal, but i guess it has to be fluent in each of the rgb languages of all my three component manufacturers

Wow how do you gently caress up reading from SMBus, it’s just i2c

quote:

I believe the problem is that ASUS AURA and AI Suite access the SMB Bus without using the proper interlocks to avoid bus access conflicts. ASUS AURA and AI Suite have been causing conflicts with Corsair Link, HWINFO, CPUZ, SIV, and other sensor monitoring utilities for years. These programs all use the proper interlock mutexes but ASUS does not as their program developers seem to assume that they are the only ones accessing the SMB Bus.

…that’ll do it

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The "what do we do with the summer intern?" school of program design.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

v1ld posted:

The "what do we do with the summer intern?" school of program design.

normally we tell them to shred paper

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Palladium posted:

normally we tell them to shred paper

Hah. Back in the bad old days I remember asking one to upgrade the switch firmware because I didn't want to crawl around in the closet. He didn't seem to mind because he joined us when he graduated.

But that's not true at my current firm where we spend lots of time making sure they are treated well and have significant stuff to work on with adequate supervision and help. Everyone, no matter how senior, is encouraged to never postpone an intern meeting - we want them to join when they graduate.

Whoever coded that Asus app seemed confident they wouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Or maybe there are none at Asus.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm still thinking of getting a 5800x3D, but the price cuts on the 5950 have made me question it just a bit. Going to 8 cores feels sufficient, and the only thing I really need horsepower for is games, but the 5950 looks tempting at these discounts. I feel like a 16 core is going to be even harder to cool than the apparently hot 5800x3D, though - does that sound right?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm still thinking of getting a 5800x3D, but the price cuts on the 5950 have made me question it just a bit. Going to 8 cores feels sufficient, and the only thing I really need horsepower for is games, but the 5950 looks tempting at these discounts. I feel like a 16 core is going to be even harder to cool than the apparently hot 5800x3D, though - does that sound right?

Yeah, I'd say a move from another 6 or 8 core to a 5800X3D isn't a bad idea if you can afford it, but a 5950 is going to be a whole evaluation of if your cooling, power supply, and use case has it make sense. In most cases the 5800X3D is going to be a more sensible chip. I'm slightly tempted to swap my 5800X for one but I've only had it 6 months and so far it's been fine for what I do.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The challenge of cooling the 5700/5800 variants is that the heat is concentrated in a single chiplet of 8 cores, the 5950 was historically much easier to cool - it can't draw twice the power, but has two chiplets with 8 cores each, and was originally suspected to be better binned too. Worst case (all the power limit focused on the 8 cores in one chiplet) it shouldn't be on par at least.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The chiplet design makes it harder to transfer heat away from the die so temps are higher than people are used to for a given wattage. If you're only upgrading for games, X3D is the obvious pick.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 29, 2022

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, I'd say a move from another 6 or 8 core to a 5800X3D isn't a bad idea if you can afford it, but a 5950 is going to be a whole evaluation of if your cooling, power supply, and use case has it make sense. In most cases the 5800X3D is going to be a more sensible chip. I'm slightly tempted to swap my 5800X for one but I've only had it 6 months and so far it's been fine for what I do.

I have a feeling that if I find a 5800x3d in stock it's going to upgrade my 5800x as well :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

orcane posted:

The challenge of cooling the 5700/5800 variants is that the heat is concentrated in a single chiplet of 8 cores, the 5950 was historically much easier to cool - it can't draw twice the power, but has two chiplets with 8 cores each, and was originally suspected to be better binned too. Worst case (all the power limit focused on the 8 cores in one chiplet) it shouldn't be on par at least.

While 140W is the default, it can go much, much higher. The “can’t draw twice the power” isn’t actually true. With a good board and uncapped PBO settings 5950x users report 240W in prime95 small FFT which should give an absolute upper bound. My 5800x3d can hit 120W in the same test. I guess technically that’s more than double because the io die is like max 20W on both?

However games use a smaller number of threads, and if those threads are spread across two CCDs that means cooling can be easier for the same power. That’s part of why the 2ccd CPUs can realistically stay above 5GHz.