Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Vehicles of old only lasted longer than the warranty because we didn't know enough about metallurgy and engineering enough to design otherwise, so it was safer to overbuild than of underbuild. The moment science and technology advanced to the level that we could plan head like we do now, we changed the design process.

Old vehicles weren't better, per se. It's more like we didn't know any better, and erred on the side of caution.

And yet I can find a soild chassis for a 1920 Ford easier than I could find an 70ish Japanese car in a condition I would consider road worthy.

:mild hyperbole:

Yeah they used to over engineer the gently caress out of stuff but it's better than designing something to the point where it will break just after the warranty expires. And yeah I know it has a bunch to do with modern unibody construction and the fact that we need to keep emissions down, and weight is a large component of that. But longevity really needs to start being a concept when it comes to the whole green thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Longevity doesn't make money.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Planned obsolescence.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Yeah I get those two posts, and one single point, but if they really gave a poo poo, longevity is key.

:LF ramble deleted:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
All VAG products still have 12 year unlimited mileage warranties against rust though. Some carmakers still care about longevity.

http://www.vw.ca/en/owners/about_your_volkswagen/warranties.html

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

All VAG products still have 12 year unlimited mileage warranties against rust though. Some carmakers still care about longevity.

Too bad VAG doesn't care about greenhouse gasses. I guess that'll be their defense at the trials, "Our cars will at least keep polluting into the future!"

Keep rockin that custom title.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 18, 2016

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
10+ year rust warranties usually have some fine print, though, that says something like "surface rust not counted." I've always seen it as a bit of a scam. What are you going to do? Let your ride rust for a decade in order to maybe possibly get a warranty repair, alternatively be stuck with a Swiss cheese vehicle, or actually do something to prevent/fix it in the meantime. Not to mention places where mandatory inspections will take a car off the road before the rust is bad enough for the warranty to kick in.

I use it as a gauge for how well things are protected from the factory, but I'll put zero faith in it otherwise.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Vehicles of old only lasted longer than the warranty because we didn't know enough about metallurgy and engineering enough to design otherwise, so it was safer to overbuild than of underbuild. The moment science and technology advanced to the level that we could plan head like we do now, we changed the design process.

Old vehicles weren't better, per se. It's more like we didn't know any better, and erred on the side of caution.

Insert probably apocryphal tale about Henry Ford asking folks "what parts are wrecking yards full of? Kingpins? Re-engineer them to be weaker".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Also, selection bias. Tons of old cars rusted like hell, that's why rust warranties were a competitive advantage. So out of 10, 8 are rusted to oblivion, we look at the remaining 2 and say "they sure don't build 'em like that anymore".

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Throatwarbler posted:

Does that warranty protect against coolant electrolysis in the ECU?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Savington posted:

Does that warranty protect against coolant electrolysis in the ECU?

It's poo poo like this that makes my decision between a 2013 civic si or golf gti easy.. the golf is 5k more and will break in horrible ways I'm sure. The only thing the gold has going for it is its avaliable in auto so my wife would be more apt to drive it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

Also, selection bias. Tons of old cars rusted like hell, that's why rust warranties were a competitive advantage. So out of 10, 8 are rusted to oblivion, we look at the remaining 2 and say "they sure don't build 'em like that anymore".

This is true, but I can look in my garage at my two vehicles and know that the repairs my 2012 Wrangler needs right now is going to cost more than every repair and maintenance dollar that I've put into my 1966 Corvette over my 8 years of ownership.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

tater_salad posted:

It's poo poo like this that makes my decision between a 2013 civic si or golf gti easy.. the golf is 5k more and will break in horrible ways I'm sure. The only thing the gold has going for it is its avaliable in auto so my wife would be more apt to drive it.

If there is anything I have learned over the last few years it is that you don't want an EM chassis Honda*. 2013 is a few generations past that, but look at the honda forums for common failure points before you make that leap.

* I've been watching a friend suffer through a variety of stupid repairs for stupid problems that other, older generations of Honda don't have.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I am not familar with the EM- nomenclature other than the EM1, which was the late 96-00 civic si. I have a FA5 (07 si sedan) and it has almost 150k on it with no issues other than an AC compressor issue that I am too cheap to get properly diagnosed/fixed.

The biggest issues with K-series engines arent the engines at all, its the transmissions, which are fairly fragile. Early K-series cars had lovely hydraulics which caused rough shifting/gear grinds, which destroyed the syncros in a lot of early cars. They have since updated those parts and the transmissions are more robust in the more recent K-series cars. If it was me, I would buy the newest/lowest miles 8th gen sedan you can get. I love mine.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Geirskogul posted:

Longevity doesn't make money.

As much as I hate working in the rust belt, I know it brings in money. Especially exhaust work.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

xzzy posted:

gently caress the rich dickholes who bought a house next to a race track and then bitched about the noise. You ruined a legendary track you jerks. :argh:

I'm terrified of this happening to Bandimere here in Denver. I live 5 miles south of here, and on top fuel days I can hear the cars in my living room over my TV. Not annoying, but "wow that 3 second brrp noise every minute or so is coming clear from Bandimere".

Pre-emptive "gently caress you Rooney Valley neighborhood." I can't imagine the real estate shenanigans that got people to buy these houses, because gently caress being able to ever take a nap on a Sunday in the summer. I should go to that Red Rocks Baptist Church during Mile High Nationals just to see if the preacher has to pause during a run, and then laugh if he does.

I mean, Red Rocks Amphiteater is at least over the first patch of hills, Bandimere is loving line of sight to those houses.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Bet they had to wash the driver's seat after that

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 19, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

I'm terrified of this happening to Bandimere here in Denver. I live 5 miles south of here, and on top fuel days I can hear the cars in my living room over my TV. Not annoying, but "wow that 3 second brrp noise every minute or so is coming clear from Bandimere".

The increased development between the two has all but eliminated it, but when I was a kid you could hear the Top Fuel / Funny Car passes at Firebird from the backyard... then on the occasion when it was actually televised live, run inside and see what you just heard thanks to the delay on cable.

Captain Postal posted:

Bet they had to wash the driver's seat after that

Maybe after it was surgically extracted from the driver.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I could sit outside my dad's house and hear them running at the little 1/8th mile track in kenedale (all of 5 miles away). I can't imagine how many noise complaints that track has given all the people from Arlington that were moving into that area to live in a more "rural, rustic area". :v:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I am not familar with the EM- nomenclature other than the EM1, which was the late 96-00 civic si. I have a FA5 (07 si sedan) and it has almost 150k on it with no issues other than an AC compressor issue that I am too cheap to get properly diagnosed/fixed.

The biggest issues with K-series engines arent the engines at all, its the transmissions, which are fairly fragile. Early K-series cars had lovely hydraulics which caused rough shifting/gear grinds, which destroyed the syncros in a lot of early cars. They have since updated those parts and the transmissions are more robust in the more recent K-series cars. If it was me, I would buy the newest/lowest miles 8th gen sedan you can get. I love mine.

I live in the north east so time is more important, poo poo rusts and is eaten by salt. I'll look for an 2011 as well, but It may be hard to find one in my mileage range, but if I can find one for around 10k I'll drive it then replace later on.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 19, 2016

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
This is the scariest mechanical thing Ive come across in a while. The tracks look like cooked spaghetti.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUCU2GhG8zE

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LloydDobler posted:

Little boxes on the hillside
Little boxes made of ticky-tacky
Little boxes on the hillside
Little boxes all the same

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Two things unrelated to cars

This is a bearing that I replaced on a 540hp electric motor for a centrifugal chiller. The motor is run off a VFD and when you don't ground it properly, current is induced in the shaft and that current goes to ground through the bearings and creates this fluting. ID of the bearing is 2.375", I don't remember the measurement on the outer race but its somewhere around 5 inches.

At a different site, I found this bearing on an air handler. Turbofucked indeed. Sorry for the short video, I saved it off my snapchat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzxC2CV_tFM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ola posted:

Bingo. Back in the day people made both crappy stuff and good stuff; the crappy stuff broke and was thrown away, and the good stuff survived long enough that it now colors our perceptions of historical build quality.

Today, the perception that things are more crappy than before is because you have options that didn't exist in the past. In 1930 if you needed boots you went to the local cobbler, or maybe if you were rich you'd go to the nearest big city and get some fancy boots from the fancy cobbler. That's it. Today you have ten thousands kinds of boots from China at a tenth the price of the old locally-made ones, and a quarter the build quality, but the cheap boots become the new baseline and the old well-made ones turn into luxuries.

I have a 15 dollar torque wrench that eventually broke when I tried to get up to its maximum rating, and a 150 dollar one that is a joy to use and can be sent back to the American manufacturer for free recalibration. You can still get good things...you just have to be willing to pay for them.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

bolind posted:

10+ year rust warranties usually have some fine print, though, that says something like "surface rust not counted." I've always seen it as a bit of a scam.

Actually the VAG rust warranty gotcha is a weird one. They'll fully cover any visible rust but there is some unknown factor that they've never explained to me that will mean they only cover 70% of the cost. I've asked about it twice about my Audi and only got back "most is covered 100%, some is 70%, its up to headquarters"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

8ender posted:

Actually the VAG rust warranty gotcha is a weird one. They'll fully cover any visible rust but there is some unknown factor that they've never explained to me that will mean they only cover 70% of the cost. I've asked about it twice about my Audi and only got back "most is covered 100%, some is 70%, its up to headquarters"

I don't think that is really true, at least in VWs. I know some people with bubbles who get rejected.
They also have a "if there is any paint chip of any size near the rust, it doesn't count" policy.
That said, VWs and Audis have amazing rust proofing. Too bad everything else reliability wise is questionable.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

nm posted:

I don't think that is really true, at least in VWs. I know some people with bubbles who get rejected.
They also have a "if there is any paint chip of any size near the rust, it doesn't count" policy.
That said, VWs and Audis have amazing rust proofing. Too bad everything else reliability wise is questionable.

The difference in how they treat Audi and VW owners is pretty startling. When I have to bring my Audi to a dealer I get to sit in a nice leather sofa chair and drink complimentary beverages. The VW folks sit on hard plastic chairs in what looks like a faithful recreation of a DMV waiting room. They don't know that I spent $6k on my Audi so I just live a lie.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MadScientistWorking posted:

This is the scariest mechanical thing Ive come across in a while. The tracks look like cooked spaghetti.

See you and raise you a Tu-95 taking off.

Or rather, trying to take off.

It's more exciting than I was expecting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtqYAv5xyTg

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Do they always do this on take-off?

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot
2014 October, take car in for 200000km checkup and let them do yearly inspection, everything fine. Don't drive much over the winter and then the car sits for a half a year because I was working elsewhere.

Come october 2015 and I start putting it ready for inspection, had to change handbrake cables etc.. Check the brakes at the same time.

WHOAA

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
don't think I have posted this picture before.
I drive tow truck and got a call for a flat tire and found this:

big rear end Robertson bit.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

8ender posted:

The difference in how they treat Audi and VW owners is pretty startling. When I have to bring my Audi to a dealer I get to sit in a nice leather sofa chair and drink complimentary beverages. The VW folks sit on hard plastic chairs in what looks like a faithful recreation of a DMV waiting room. They don't know that I spent $6k on my Audi so I just live a lie.

You need to find a better VW dealership then. The one I go to has free snacks, free drinks and comfy chairs with a TV. And they actually manage to get the service done without breaking anything.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

veedubfreak posted:

You need to find a better VW dealership then. The one I go to has free snacks, free drinks and comfy chairs with a TV.

Fitting, since I assume that anyone buying a VWAG product expects to live at the dealership part-time.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

hillo posted:

2014 October, take car in for 200000km checkup and let them do yearly inspection, everything fine. Don't drive much over the winter and then the car sits for a half a year because I was working elsewhere.

Come october 2015 and I start putting it ready for inspection, had to change handbrake cables etc.. Check the brakes at the same time.

WHOAA

Just for safety's sake, you do recognize that you have a stuck caliper right? And you got it sliding/replaced it and didn't just slap new pads in, right?

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

LloydDobler posted:

Just for safety's sake, you do recognize that you have a stuck caliper right? And you got it sliding/replaced it and didn't just slap new pads in, right?

It was sliding just fine

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

or just grease that side of the rotor so it doesn't drag anymore* :haw:

*don't do this, you will die.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

LloydDobler posted:

That almost looks like the abrassive fell off the pad.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

veedubfreak posted:

You need to find a better VW dealership then. The one I go to has free snacks, free drinks and comfy chairs with a TV. And they actually manage to get the service done without breaking anything.

The VW dealer I would go to was a VW/Audi/Mercedes/Porsche dealer. It has a very nice waiting area with a coffee bar, free food, large TVs, comfy chairs, and free WiFi.

They're also expensive, slow, and don't know how to properly torque lug bolts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of slow service departments at dealers, wife took her car in for a 5000 mile today, took 90 minutes for an oil change and rotation.

They had a list of recommended replacements, like air filter and spark plugs. I knew it needed done so that's no big deal but she asked how long that would take and it was going to be another 90 minutes. :downs:

Not sure what their problem is, I use this dealer all the time and it's usually 30 minutes to get in and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

xzzy posted:

Speaking of slow service departments at dealers, wife took her car in for a 5000 mile today, took 90 minutes for an oil change and rotation.

I've cracked 2 hours for just an oil change. I don't know what the issue was as the car was on the lift ASAP and the technician was at the car doing "something" every time I looked through the window. That's when I finally gave up on the dealer and started doing them myself.