Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Modernist cuisine has kind of removed any lowbrow stigma with the word "american cheese" or "processed cheese." Processed cheese is objectively the best burger, grilled cheese, and nacho cheese. It just depends on what base cheese(s) you use to make the processed cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm fairly sure most people don't really know what American cheese is and why it's labeled as processed cheese.

The nice slices you get from the deli counter are barely related to the grease slices wrapped in individual plastic.

That said, sometimes you really just need one of those Kraft singles, man.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I disagree that processed singles make the best grilled cheese or burger cheese.

I agree that they're decent. I prefer one slice of cheddar + one processed single on my grilled cheese to juse the processed singles.

I assert that to use anything more expensive than grocery store medium-old cheddar on anything like a grilled cheese or burger is a waste of cheese. A hamburger with a slice of aged cheddar on the side is better than a cheeseburger made with melted aged cheddar, because having melted that aged cheddar you've now made it indistinguishable from the cheap poo poo.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

The Midniter posted:

Literally any other cheese, though American will do in a pinch

Provolone or cheese whiz

Why would you eat that

Liquid cheese whiz, which is similar but NOT the same as slices of American cheese (pasteurized processed cheese "food")

Close enough to an egg sandwich (lol a burrito is a sandwich) to agree with my original statement.

nah any time you're melting cheese american is fuckin' delicious, also lol at being pretentious about loving cheez whiz

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

Modernist cuisine has kind of removed any lowbrow stigma with the word "american cheese" or "processed cheese."

Well, to be fair this is only among the few nerds who are into modernist cooking

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Well, to be fair this is only among the few nerds who are into modernist cooking

Did the demographic of gwiss change that bad that the average person here doesnt know what modernist cheese is?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

there's a thread solely on burger pics so I guess we've basically digressed 2 notches away from bragging about meatships

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
aren't kraft singles just like hydrogenated vegetable oil?
I want to try the sodium citrate thing but I'd have to come up with a pretty good justification for it.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

theres a will theres moe posted:

I want to try the sodium citrate thing but I'd have to come up with a pretty good justification for it.

Why?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

aren't kraft singles just like hydrogenated vegetable oil?
Nope, they're dairy. Take the cheese that a cheesemaker can't otherwise use---broken wheels and blocks, random shavings and so on---add sodium citrate, form, done. Some processed cheese products also use other dairy byproducts of cheesemaking (like whey). And some add some veg oil to modify the consistency/texture/whatever. But Kraft Singles specifically are dairy (cheese and cheesemaking byproducts) plus minor amounts of sodium citrate, preservatives, and so on.

I mean it's not like the cheese/dairy going into them is exactly snooty fromagerie poo poo. But while Kraft Singles certainly do not meet the regulatory definition of cheese, they're not a not-even-cheese product (that doesn't contain any cheese or dairy) either.

And since we're discussing it anyway it's probably worth pointing out that the yellow squares are commonly called `American cheese' but it's also common to find American cheese in e.g. delis which is essentially just a mild white cheddar, and which is a cheese which has existed since the colonial era.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

SubG posted:

Nope, they're dairy. Take the cheese that a cheesemaker can't otherwise use---broken wheels and blocks, random shavings and so on---add sodium citrate, form, done. Some processed cheese products also use other dairy byproducts of cheesemaking (like whey). And some add some veg oil to modify the consistency/texture/whatever. But Kraft Singles specifically are dairy (cheese and cheesemaking byproducts) plus minor amounts of sodium citrate, preservatives, and so on.

I mean it's not like the cheese/dairy going into them is exactly snooty fromagerie poo poo. But while Kraft Singles certainly do not meet the regulatory definition of cheese, they're not a not-even-cheese product (that doesn't contain any cheese or dairy) either.

And since we're discussing it anyway it's probably worth pointing out that the yellow squares are commonly called `American cheese' but it's also common to find American cheese in e.g. delis which is essentially just a mild white cheddar, and which is a cheese which has existed since the colonial era.

Thank you. I didn't know any of this.

I guess mostly because I'd feel guilty about eating enough gooey cheese slurm to have warranted making a batch

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I guess mostly because I'd feel guilty about eating enough gooey cheese slurm to have warranted making a batch

I see you haven't lived

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Unless you're really wound up about ~*traditional methods*~ or some poo poo, literally all that sodium citrate does is make it easier to consistently produce a high-quality cheese sauce with more or less any cheese you want to use.

It's not like it's going to give you a funny flavour or texture or anything.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

SubG posted:

Unless you're really wound up about ~*traditional methods*~ or some poo poo, literally all that sodium citrate does is make it easier to consistently produce a high-quality cheese sauce with more or less any cheese you want to use.

It's not like it's going to give you a funny flavour or texture or anything.

but Chemicals

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

It's like mechanically recovered cheese?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux posted:

kraft cheese

sperglord spotted :siren:

sorry m8 but if you don't go american on your loving american burger idfk. lmao at people who put aged cheddar on burgers in particular. these are the same people who sperg out about ultra peaty scotches, but drink like once a month.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Midniter posted:

[jack in the box taco]

Why would you eat that

don't make me loving honor duel you over jack in the box tacos.

I have driven 50+ miles out of my way on a roadtrip to eat a jack in the box taco.

I have purchased literally 20 orders of tacos (order dude : is that 20 tacos? or 20 orders of two tacos? - me : WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU THINK I ORDERED? TWENTY ORDERS OF TACOS. WHICH IS 40 GODDAMN TACOS.)

I have written in the 'contact us' section of jackinthebox.com multiple times encouraging someone - anyone - to open a franchise in Georgia.

I have considered funding and opening my own jack in the box franchise, just to eat their loving tacos.

I'd say something self effacing like 'oh, most of jack in the box is garbage, but their tacos sure are great!' to diffuse this situation. but I've literally never eaten anything from jack in the box that wasn't a jack in the box taco. or an iced tea I guess.

DONT gently caress WITH ME MIDNITER. DONT gently caress WITH ME. YOURE OFFICIALLY ON NOTICE.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mindphlux posted:

don't make me loving honor duel you over jack in the box tacos.

I have driven 50+ miles out of my way on a roadtrip to eat a jack in the box taco.

I have purchased literally 20 orders of tacos (order dude : is that 20 tacos? or 20 orders of two tacos? - me : WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU THINK I ORDERED? TWENTY ORDERS OF TACOS. WHICH IS 40 GODDAMN TACOS.)

I have written in the 'contact us' section of jackinthebox.com multiple times encouraging someone - anyone - to open a franchise in Georgia.

I have considered funding and opening my own jack in the box franchise, just to eat their loving tacos.

I'd say something self effacing like 'oh, most of jack in the box is garbage, but their tacos sure are great!' to diffuse this situation. but I've literally never eaten anything from jack in the box that wasn't a jack in the box taco. or an iced tea I guess.

DONT gently caress WITH ME MIDNITER. DONT gently caress WITH ME. YOURE OFFICIALLY ON NOTICE.

mindphlux posted:

;)

I'm not innocent. I will purchase and consume 6 frozen White Castle cheeseburgers at a time.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

I'm not innocent. I will purchase and consume 6 frozen White Castle cheeseburgers at a time.

That's gross. I eat Taco Bell, and I look down on you.

The Jack in the Box tacos are something that need to be experienced at least once. They are also gross, though. Are they still meatless?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

sorry m8 but if you don't go american on your loving american burger idfk. lmao at people who put aged cheddar on burgers in particular. these are the same people who sperg out about ultra peaty scotches, but drink like once a month.

The correct burger is 70/30, cooked medium rare, with blue cheese (preferably Maytag or, if you can get it, Bayley Hazen; for bonus points hit it with a blowtorch to melt/char) and kimchi. Thin layer of fully-caramelized onions on the bottom bun is optional but highly recommended. And that is exactly as loving American as any other burger, thank you very much.

And I really like ultra-peaty scotches but whatever, I'll drink Jameson if someone offers it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I think of american cheese as like the meatloaf of cheeses. It's a ton of scraps put back together and bound with scraps of other things, and served in a slice.

It's common and accessable and tasty on a baloney sammie.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I would totally unironically eat taco bell on the way home from grocery with frozen white castle in tow. hashtag yolo

missin dat triple double crunchwrap, yall. the one that got away

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nowadays my taco bell order is just a grande meal of the bean burritos so I can eat all 10 that same night.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I would totally unironically eat taco bell on the way home from grocery with frozen white castle in tow. hashtag yolo

missin dat triple double crunchwrap, yall. the one that got away

At TB the two items I like are the Mexi-Melt and the 7 layer. Also the Fire sauce.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Betos/Rancheritos has ruined Taco Bell/Del Taco/Taco Time for me.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

bartolimu posted:

The correct burger is 70/30, cooked medium rare, with blue cheese (preferably Maytag or, if you can get it, Bayley Hazen; for bonus points hit it with a blowtorch to melt/char) and kimchi. Thin layer of fully-caramelized onions on the bottom bun is optional but highly recommended. And that is exactly as loving American as any other burger, thank you very much.

And I really like ultra-peaty scotches but whatever, I'll drink Jameson if someone offers it.

look at everything about this post lol

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

MrSlam posted:

Betos/Rancheritos has ruined Taco Bell/Del Taco/Taco Time for me.

I mean, I live in (the greater) Los Angeles area, it's not about finding good mexican food, that poo poo is literally on almost every street corner. TB is so far removed from mexican food it doesn't even count anymore.

Del taco is garbage though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

In the mid west it's taco bell or authentic stuff if you can find it. I really should give more business to the latter, I cannot compete with their bean game.

/
e- bart when you put kimchi on your burg do you dice or drain it first? I really have inconsistent results topping my stuff with the chi.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I mean, I live in (the greater) Los Angeles area, it's not about finding good mexican food, that poo poo is literally on almost every street corner. TB is so far removed from mexican food it doesn't even count anymore.

Del taco is garbage though.

Favyfav made a great point about that on Latinos Who Lunch: Taco bell isn't Mexican, or even fake Mexican, but rather is it's own distinct cuisine and possibly food group. No shame in eating taco bell.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

therattle posted:

It's like mechanically recovered cheese?
I'm sure that connotation---ugh it's just the gross stuff---is true for many processed cheese products, but it really isn't for Kraft Singles. I mean I don't have any inside information on their production process, but I'm sure demand for the things is large enough that Kraft Slices by themselves (that is, independent of all the other Kraft cheese/dairy products) have their own supply chain and it's higher in the priority list than anything else in the dairy end of the business.

I also think it's easy to lose sight of the fact that when the Kraft Single was invented it was legit cool poo poo. We're used to having access to any drat thing at any drat time and feel entitled to pitch a fit if we can't get it. But the Kraft Single was invented in a time when state-of-the-art refrigeration was still a railroad car with a big-rear end slab of ice in it, and the idea of bringing a consistent, predictable perishable food product to a large population was a huge loving logistical challenge.

I mean I never buy the things because I pretty much always have a block of utility-grade cheddar in the fridge and a bag of sodium citrate in the pantry. But I don't think the Kraft Single is stupid food poo poo the way, I dunno, poo poo like fake honey and fake balsamic vinegar are (in that they're not only ripoffs of a superior ingredient but they're invariably a bad ripoff).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Thread question- what is the worst (food) ingredient to include in hamburger meat? For use in a burger, to clarify.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 14, 2017

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I'm going with milk.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

As a burger? Cheese. I made such mistakes like stuffing burgers when I was younger.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

egg, as in mixed with the meat. it isn't a loving meatball

edit: basically anything but salt, and even then it's better on the outside, not mixed in.

edit2: reference http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/12/the-burger-lab-salting-ground-beef.html

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread question- what is the worst (food) ingredient to include in hamburger meat?

Soy.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Lipton's soup mix. Not that it would necessarily taste the worst or have the worst mouthfeel or whatever, but in that it is the quintessential illustration of the ~*one weird trick*~ fallacy that characterises so much bad cooking advice.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

SubG posted:

Lipton's soup mix. Not that it would necessarily taste the worst or have the worst mouthfeel or whatever, but in that it is the quintessential illustration of the ~*one weird trick*~ fallacy that characterises so much bad cooking advice.

Like I can get behind the "one weird trick fallacy" but it's really just onions, salt, and MSG. Individually, those aren't bad burger adds.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The secret to these diner's eggs are.... wait for it... Lowery's seasoning salt.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

What the gently caress is fake honey?

e: whoever gave me this avatar gently caress yooooooooou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can apparently make lovely maple syrup from cream of tartar so I'd assuming it's similar to that.