Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Whoever in this thread recommended 'Chernobyl Prayer' by Svetlana Alexievich, thank you, and also gently caress you, I'm sitting here on a beautiful sunny afternoon in tears. It's an incredible document but loving hell. gently caress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Just saw this on Vice and I hadn't heard of it before: The disappearance of Lee Boxell. Fair warning, contains descriptions of child abuse.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

subpar anachronism posted:

Just saw this on Vice and I hadn't heard of it before: The disappearance of Lee Boxell. Fair warning, contains descriptions of child abuse.

I read up until the tombstone thing and couldn't. Just couldn't.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/JulieAMcDowall/status/1135681021633093634?s=19

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Was the plan to chase it around? Shoot at it? Hope the wake from the fighters would disperse it and make it less harmful? I'm seriously having trouble figuring out why they did that, unless the answer is "because we have to do SOMETHING damnit!".

Edit: nevermind noticed it was part of a tweet thread. Shooting a radioactive cloud with silver iodine to make it rain isn't my first choice in that situation but then again I don't know what I'd order instead

Don Gato has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Jun 5, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Don Gato posted:

Was the plan to chase it around? Shoot at it? Hope the wake from the fighters would disperse it and make it less harmful? I'm seriously having trouble figuring out why they did that, unless the answer is "because we have to do SOMETHING damnit!".

If you follow the tweet there's a whole thread that explains it. And they did do something. They hosed over Belarus to save Moscow.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Possibly the officers had been told very little and understood even less, beyond "there is something very dangerous moving toward Moscow" ?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Possibly the officers had been told very little and understood even less, beyond "there is something very dangerous moving toward Moscow" ?

if you believe any of the accounts, very few people involved had any loving clue what they were actually dealing with

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/moms-go-undercover-fight-fake-autism-cures-private-facebook-groups-n1007871

quote:

“My son is constantly making a gasping sound,” posted one Kansas mother who claimed to treat her adult son with chlorine dioxide, according to screenshots shared by Eaton and Seigler.

quote:

“He won’t open his mouth,” a Canadian mom wrote of her 2-year-old’s unwillingness to drink the chlorine dioxide. “He screams. Spits. Flips over.”

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://news.yahoo.com/news/prosecutor-discuss-doctor-accused-ordering-135651694.html

Doctor accused of being a serial killer

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

If you follow the tweet there's a whole thread that explains it. And they did do something. They hosed over Belarus to save Moscow.

:belarus:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

God dammit these loving lunatics

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Those are rookie numbers

They just sentenced a German nurse who is thought to have racked up 300 murders

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niels_H%F6gel

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

For how many times I've seen some huckster insist they've been able to cure autism, I've never seen any testimonies from the people who's kids are allegedly cured to see how they are.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
What’s up with nurses and killing people?

http://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/jolly-jane-toppan-killer-nurse-obsessed-death/

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

It's an easy, and easily deniable in the right setting, way to lording the power of life and death over people. That's also why angels of mercy killers rack up high body counts. They aren't as memorable as your average slasher, but, well, that's kind of the point.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

For how many times I've seen some huckster insist they've been able to cure autism, I've never seen any testimonies from the people who's kids are allegedly cured to see how they are.

That's because they're all murdered from preventable diseases or being forced to have chlorine bleach enemas or whatever insane lunacy these absolute morons force upon kids who have no way to resist it.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Also if the kid's got severe enough symptoms it's quite possible they have no way to convey how they feel about it anyway - I bet it's not the 'clearly odd but can deal with society alright with a little extra help and guidance'/asperger-tier (or whatever the term is now) crowd that's getting these treatments.

Some autistic children (and adults) require highly trained carers 24/7 and there's not a lot of support financially from most governments, and good luck affording private care. These are the children you'd hear about getting straight up murdered by their parents via a pillow to the face or something, instead of slowly and possibly not intentionally murdered with bleach.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

The podcast Sawbones did an episode on this recently (“Bleach”) and it was horrifying and infuriating. That episode definitely qualifies for this thread, I think.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again:
I'd much rather have an autistic child than a dead one.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I've slowed down a bit on the killing and just go for retarded idiot parents that poison their kids.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Here's the thing: these people disagree.

Also, lmao the bleach cured the autism but caused major brain damage ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Here's the thing: these people disagree.

Also, lmao the bleach cured the autism but caused major brain damage ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They know that there are ways to get rid of a child you don't want without removing them from this mortal coil, right? I'm sure if you don't want them there are people out there who will take them in! You don't have to give them a bleach enema until they die! Really!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

No see it's their freedom to literally murder their children because gently caress this poo poo

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Mighty Moltres posted:

My cousin nearly wound up with both. His eldest son, who is autistic, set fire to the living room.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I have never understood how these people can be such monsters. My son is autistic although he's on the milder end of the spectrum. He's just the sweetest little thing, I can't imagine trying to "cure" him. Autism isn't like some disease or some poo poo what the gently caress. He's just him. God these people make me angry sorry.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Maybe the cure for autism is to inject babies with the blood of autistic people.
That way they can build up an immunity to it, like a vaccine.
OH poo poo BUT VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM!
Back to the drawing board I guess.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Croatoan posted:

I have never understood how these people can be such monsters. My son is autistic although he's on the milder end of the spectrum. He's just the sweetest little thing, I can't imagine trying to "cure" him. Autism isn't like some disease or some poo poo what the gently caress. He's just him. God these people make me angry sorry.

My son can be sweet, kind, thoughtful, and brilliant. But he can also scream, hurt, fight, and destroy. He’s in eighth grade, and it kills me that I can’t see a path to him graduating high school, driving a car, holding down a job, or having a relationship because we can’t find a way to help him navigate the world and self-regulate.

He’s aware of his struggles, and he’s miserable because of them. It’s heartbreaking to hear your child sobbing and screaming “I just want to live a normal life; why can’t I live a normal life?” after an outburst spawned by something as simple as the classroom switching from one subject to another.

I can’t sympathize with trying to murder my child based on bullshit on Facebook that was probably created by trolls, but I can sympathize with the desperation to do something that can help my son live a productive life.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Blue Moonlight posted:

My son can be sweet, kind, thoughtful, and brilliant. But he can also scream, hurt, fight, and destroy. He’s in eighth grade, and it kills me that I can’t see a path to him graduating high school, driving a car, holding down a job, or having a relationship because we can’t find a way to help him navigate the world and self-regulate.

He’s aware of his struggles, and he’s miserable because of them. It’s heartbreaking to hear your child sobbing and screaming “I just want to live a normal life; why can’t I live a normal life?” after an outburst spawned by something as simple as the classroom switching from one subject to another.

I can’t sympathize with trying to murder my child based on bullshit on Facebook that was probably created by trolls, but I can sympathize with the desperation to do something that can help my son live a productive life.
Yeah, this is part of it, but with the people who actually do the bleach thing, I think it's also that they don't trust science. They'll go, 'it's not bleach, it's not the same thing as in Clorox' without realizing that 'bleach' isn't one substance but any substance that has a bleaching effect, they'll ignore medical evidence that their child is shedding their intestinal lining and not getting better, etc.

I hope your son is able to find a happy path in life! I'm autistic myself, and I had an absolutely miserable time in middle school. It's very frustrating to be aware that your emotional reaction to something like a disruption in routine is disproportionate but to not be able to stop that reaction from happening, because it makes you feel stupid and out of control. But, it sounds like he's got a supportive and loving family and that makes a huge difference.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Blue Moonlight posted:

Oh man believe me when I say I get that it's a struggle. My son is only 8 and this year has been the first year where he is becoming self aware that he's different and it breaks my heart so much. He hates that other kids stare at him when he has a meltdown. Luckily our school district started a special education class specifically for children on the spectrum and it's been mind blowing how much he's progressed under his wonderful teacher and parapro tutelage. I too worry about if he will be able to live on his own one day. Currently I don't know. I hope so and most of the time I can see it happening but sometimes he hits a wall. It's also just so frustrating when I try to engage him and it's like he's unaware I'm speaking to him. And again, he's on the mild end of the spectrum. I wish you luck and am sorry for your struggles. I can at least relate to it being a struggle.

Hell, I'm on the spectrum myself with aspergers and honestly didn't know until I was in my late 30's. I just thought I was an rear end in a top hat.

PetraCore posted:

I'm autistic myself, and I had an absolutely miserable time in middle school. It's very frustrating to be aware that your emotional reaction to something like a disruption in routine is disproportionate but to not be able to stop that reaction from happening, because it makes you feel stupid and out of control. But, it sounds like he's got a supportive and loving family and that makes a huge difference.

Big hugs from over here.

Croatoan has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Jun 7, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Croatoan posted:

Granted my experience has been with being the caregiver for family with Alzheimer's, but I'd say desperation is a sizeable factor. We mostly hear about the mild cases of autism/Asperger's and have media depictions of them being quirky or incredibly smart. Only times we hear about the severe cases is when someone's died. I can see where someone with a family member with a severe case being pushed to their limits when the resources/support aren't there or aren't enough and they become prime targets for the hucksters whose lies are promising a cure. Going from my caregiving experience, everyone'll say how much of an angel you are for doing it, but they don't want to know about those times where you're so physically, mentally and emotionally drained that you wish for anything for it to be over.

We're failing these parents as a society with not giving them those resources and support they need.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I have an autistic kid in the extended family and the parents are low education and distrustful of health authorities for not good but understandable reasons and they were just absolutely flailing to come to grips with the situation. Extremely, extremely difficult time for the kid and the parents. I can see how you can get into a place where trying something like this seems reasonable to you.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Another parent of an Autistic kid here, there are a ton of us.

My daughter is pretty self regulated these days but next year is the first year in High School so the pressure and cliquish behaviour and poo poo is just going to amp up. She doesn't really seem to care but there are days when you can tell she just hates the way she is, and that's crushing.

On the plus side the schools are considerably better informed these days, her resource teachers have been absolute saints and she has friends that just don't care that she is a bit different because they grew up with her and accept her.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I'm the parent of an autistic kid and also autistic myself.

I can't stress enough that it's important to listen to autistic adults about what their childhoods were like under some of the snake oil medical treatments and abusive behavior modification techniques that have claimed to "cure" autism.

Autism can't be cured, because it isn't a disease. A lot of what these people call "symptoms" of autism are predictable reactions to stress, trauma, fear, and pain, and while sometimes you do have to teach kids to redirect dangerous behavior into something else, the actual solution to most of these problems involves finding out what is bothering the child and reduce their exposure to things that will cause them stress, fear, or pain. This is why so many of those dietary "cures" appear to work for some parents - because the kid had a GI issue or a food intolerance, and they were constantly uncomfortable or in pain. A better diet makes them feel better and so reduces their "symptoms."

To sum up - read Neurotribes. (Also, the chapters about what the Nazis did to autistic and other disabled people qualify for this thread in their own right.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think that's the key to be honest, it's a lack of understanding of what autism actually is by people who are willing to go to these lengths. From a purely medicinal point of view, there's nothing actually 'wrong' with an autistic person that conventional medicine can cure. But not understanding that or actively choosing not to believe it leads to trying to solve an unsolvable problem, if it can even be considered a problem at all. Insular circles of people who have indeed chosen not to see this reality will then go back and forth in their echo chamber, until they come up with something that won't work like forcing the child to be a half-starved gluten free vegan or something crazy that will kill them like feeding them bleach.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Jun 7, 2019

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Despite one of my friends being pretty heavy on the spectrum, I actually know very little about autism.
I would love an Ask/Tell thread about it.
Whether you have it yourself, or you know someone with it, the discussion will be super informative and interesting.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/07/gay-...iY2YIFu_YysrO44

Sorry for the double post, but loving hell.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Autism is currently diagnosed on a behavioral basis; there is no currently recognized neurological or genetic basis for diagnosis. I appreciate the point of view that the world should change to accommodate people who are on the spectrum, because that would be nice. I also appreciate the point of view that people with an autism diagnosis do not necessarily have anything "wrong" with them, just as there is nothing inherently wrong with any person with any diagnosis. However the behaviors that some individuals develop (behaviors develop out of environmental relations and are not random or "for no reason") can range from stigmatizing to life-threatening. At the level of stigmatizing, would you be patient and understanding if the person bagging your groceries had a screaming tantrum for reasons you couldn't identify? At the level of life-threatening, should we allow an adult to gouge out his own eyes?

Those are both real examples, anyway. Modern behavior analysis is about changing behaviors that are socially significant to the person served (e.g., what is important to them, and what is important for them) using non-aversive techniques -- techniques that apply to all organisms, not just those with special needs.

(There is also no evidence for specialized diets)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
It's kinda weird to say "not a disease", because my ADD sure feels like one and it's also definitely a huge part of who i am as a person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

They've already arrested the shitheads responsible. It was a bunch of teenagers who hang around the area being cunts.