Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
Any good war game recommendations? I want a fairly sperg war game that has actual pieces (not hex cards), but doesn't require me to paint anything.

I've never played it, but Napoleon's Triumph looks good. Games I've played and like for war game mechanics, is the Game of Thrones war game (specifically the order tokens mechanic, where you place orders face down but dont reveal until everyone's turn).

The biggest problem I've found is finding war games that are more than two players. At least 3 players if possible, but preferably more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You want the wargame thread, bud. They're going to suggest the COIN series. Start by P500'ing Cuba Libre so my copy gets to me.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Impermanent posted:

Start by P500'ing Cuba Libre so my copy gets to me.

Same. Everybody please p500 it.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Melian Dialogue posted:

Any good war game recommendations? I want a fairly sperg war game that has actual pieces (not hex cards), but doesn't require me to paint anything.

I've never played it, but Napoleon's Triumph looks good. Games I've played and like for war game mechanics, is the Game of Thrones war game (specifically the order tokens mechanic, where you place orders face down but dont reveal until everyone's turn).

The biggest problem I've found is finding war games that are more than two players. At least 3 players if possible, but preferably more.

I don't know of another game that uses order tokens the way Game of Thrones does. However, Kemet meets your other criteria: miniatures that don't need to be painted, scales well up to 5 players, and combat that incorporates a hand of cards in a very similar way to Game of Thrones.

If you want more spergy, wooden cubes and cylinders instead of minis, and a 4 player max, check out the COIN games.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I wouldn't suggest NT since it's very unusual and heavy duty (although it is my favourite game ever), also it's out of print and really expensive if you buy from eBay/BGG.

Go for the COINs.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Melian Dialogue posted:

Forbidden Stars is exactly what you want. It uses face down order tokens similar to GoT, plays up to 4 and has cool miniatures that need no painting.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

COIN owns. Also Forbidden Stars (which I admittedly haven't played) has a neat twist on hidden orders where you stack up facedown tokens on spaces and execute them one at a time but you can't execute an order until it's on top.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Melian Dialogue posted:

You want Warhammer Diskwars. It looks dumb and sounds like Warhammer, but it's a great mini-a-like using carboard tokens with all stats and poo poo printed on them and has actual good rules unlike what the title would suggest.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Do you want a robust game that can accommodate up to 10 players, sperg as hell, and will keep your players entertained for thousands of hours? Campaign for North Africa might be just up your alley.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Do you want a robust game that can accommodate up to 10 players, sperg as hell, and will keep your players entertained for thousands of hours? Campaign for North Africa might be just up your alley.

Assuming rule competency, and full teams. I estimate you'd have to put in 20 hours a week, and then maybe, maybe it'll be done by 2017. Also, you have to start today.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Melian Dialogue posted:

I've never played it, but Napoleon's Triumph looks good.

Just get Stratego and pretend its a map of Europe.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 1, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rutibex posted:

Just get Stratego pretend its a map of Europe.

This, but unironically; Stratego is a great introduction to wargames, and I mean introduction. Kids can play it, but it has a fog of war, territory, non-dice combat, asymmetric setups, probing, flanking, scouting.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

sonatinas posted:

Third. Waiting for P500 is agony.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

golden bubble posted:

Third. Waiting for P500 is agony.

Fourthed. Every COIN game is currently out of stock, although you can probably find a few copies of Fire In The Lake floating around.

Speaking of which, anyone in Chicago interested in playing Fire In The Lake should PM me.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Who's interested in a Pax Pamir PBP? Low graphics unless I find scans online.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'd give it a go.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Yup yup yup

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

3 more spaces, will start it tomorrow

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I'd be interested but am in class and on a plane for a business seminar next few days so posting would probably be lethargic at best ;_;

Pamir is really good though, only gotten a few games in but it's got some sweet stuff going on.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Tekopo posted:

Interested. How Phil Eklundy is the game, on a scale from one to Ayn Rand?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

sonatinas posted:

This is the best course of action for everyone.

Bungeyjump
Nov 9, 2003
Bungeyjumpingpeopledie

"GrandpaPants" posted:

Also, Hansa Teutonica is super-Euro-y in that there's no hidden information...Despite what sounds like an interesting premise, I find it an incredibly dry game to actually play and because there's no hidden information, is SUPER prone to AP (I know someone who took 15 minutes for his turn, and a turn is basically an action). Definitely for the hardcore Euro crowd, less so for people who want a bit more of a hybrid. I also find that games play out almost the exact same way with very little variation, aside from maybe one player deviating from a usual tried and true strategy to "experiment." But eh.

While I would agree that Hansa Teutonica is an extremely dry euro, and it does make AP people AP hard, I do think that it is one of the best euros in my collection. Outside of the first couple of turns most games play out extremely differently and there are many different paths to victory.

One example of how different things can be would be a game where I taught three new players. The game was a very long slog that went on for an hour and a half as no-one scored very many immediate points, so it was a long time before anyone got to 20 for game end. We played a second game and this time everyone was in the race to 20, with the game lasting about 30 minutes.

There's a growing group of players at my FLGS who will play Hansa anytime, which isn't at all bad for a game of its age with perfect info, a fixed setup and minimal random elements

EBag
May 18, 2006

Yah it is super dry but the mechanisms are pretty clean and even some of the more thematic/ameritrash gamers I've played it with have really liked it. Each game I've played has felt very different with people focusing on different things each time and there seems to be a lot of viable paths to victory. It also plays quite fast and scales pretty well and is one of the few euros with a lot of direct interaction. If you like competitive and interactive games and can just appreciate them purely for the mechanisms it's pretty great.

Also GMT is reprinting Cuba Libre and ADP early next year with Falling Sky, no need to P500 I would think.

EBag fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 2, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

I'll try if there's still room and if it's low text and it can stand me being slightly low availability for two days - Thursday to Friday I'm in London to see Deep Purple.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

Who's interested in a Pax Pamir PBP? Low graphics unless I find scans online.

II'll have a go if there is still room/sub if there isn't.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Gutter Owl posted:

Interested. How Phil Eklundy is the game, on a scale from one to Ayn Rand?

He spent a lot of effort streamlining it so mechanically it's actually pretty approachable, much moreso than Porfiriana. On the other hand the strategy space is pretty nuts, but that's never really been Phil's problem. It's got a mediocre rulebook and the game gets a bit slow when the topple cards come out (for newer players in particular) but it's like a 4 on the Eklund scale.

I'll lurk the pbp and be around to answer any rules questions that come up...

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It seems like Cole Wehrle was the primary designer and Eklund is listed because it was based on Porfiriana or he had some input or something.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Splizwarf posted:

Is [redacted] cool? It looks cool.

I played [redacted] at Essen 2014 and it was pretty dull unfortunately. We didn't get through the full game but I feel I saw enough.

The constant passing of cards back and forth was frustrating and needed to be done each time two agents were even in the same room. There didn't feel to be many interesting decisions to make, it was all 'be in this room and hope you draw or find out something useful'. It just didn't really work in practice.

I am willing to admit that it might actually be good as we didn't even finish our game, but my wife and I went in excited to try it, and walked away disappointed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Books a Million is carrying Codenames now if you're still looking for it.

I just picked up 7 Wonders Duel, Mysterium, and Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game to cover 2p, 2+, and solo for the holidays. Haven't heard much about Warhammer except that it's similar to LotR LCG but doesn't have the deck construction aspect and isn't an LCG, both of which sound like what I'm looking for.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Welcome to the Dungeon is not ultra-exciting, but is simple to teach, plays quick, and has a reasonable amount of depth. There's some potential for calculating out possibilities (but problematic AP is mostly avoided by all the hidden information), and there's some good potential to bluff and build/explore a little metagame.

The printed rules allow for player elimination, but if you find that a big turn-off, you can easily just play for points (eg. instead of elimination, if you fail a dungeon everyone else gets a point or something).

Solid, versatile, quick game, available for cheap.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I've played redacted twice I think? Wasn't particularly impressive, easy pass I think.

Welcome to the Dungeon isn't amazing either but it's good and quick and also pretty cheap, so can't complain.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Skull is better than welcome to the dungeon, if you can find it

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

The End posted:

Skull is better than welcome to the dungeon, if you can find it

Skull is back in stock pretty much everywhere :)

(well Amazon, CH, MM anyway)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

bobvonunheil posted:

I played [redacted] at Essen 2014 and it was pretty dull unfortunately.

drat, it looks rad. Oh well, book by its cover and all that. :(

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Star Trek: Mage Knight Frontiers is up for preorder on CSI. This caused me to look up info on the game. Not much has come out, although there is an article with pictures! The same Wiz Kids minis they've been using for a while.

oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress i can play mage knight as captain sisko with the defiant i am so loving weak i desperately am fighting the urge to preorder this rules unknown

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
My brother bought me Food Chain Magnate for xmas :vince:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Broken Loose posted:

Star Trek: Mage Knight Frontiers is up for preorder on CSI. This caused me to look up info on the game. Not much has come out, although there is an article with pictures! The same Wiz Kids minis they've been using for a while.

oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress i can play mage knight as captain sisko with the defiant i am so loving weak i desperately am fighting the urge to preorder this rules unknown

I'm surprised you'd be excited about a game designed by Andrew Parks, noted designer of fantastic and profitably successful games such as Star Trek attack wing and D&D attack wing. From what I know, Chvatil doesn't have any input in this whatsoever. They just attached his name since it's similar to the MK system.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Broken Loose posted:

I give it 50/50 chance that it's just cargo cult Vlaada.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

T-Bone posted:

Recommendation goon who plays Brass/Steam -- you should probably give Terra Mystica a shot too. Read the rules and play all day at work here: http://lodev.org/tmai/

I have heard horror stories about Terra Mystica running almost as long as Shogun or Diplomacy, especially with AP-prone players, which gives me some pause.

unrelated edit: Is Tash-Kalar ever supposed to see any expansions? It's always seemed ripe for several new decks. Aside from Space Alert: New Frontier, does Vlaada do expansions? nevermind, looks like there's a couple already. Herp derp. Are they cool?

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

I have heard horror stories about Terra Mystica running almost as long as Shogun or Diplomacy, especially with AP-prone players, which gives me some pause.

unrelated edit: Is Tash-Kalar ever supposed to see any expansions? It's always seemed ripe for several new decks. Aside from Space Alert: New Frontier, does Vlaada do expansions?

Tash-Kalar has had two expansions: Nethervoid and Everfrost. Vlaada does lots of expansions - Galaxy Trucker's had 3, with Missions just releasing at Essen, Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Petz both have one, Prophecy has two...

Everfrost adds abilities you can save and use later once you've summoned a piece. Nethervoid adds a special piece called the "Gateway," and your cards care where it is, move it around, do effects around it, etc.