Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The question still remains: how do I determine if the house is safe or not? I just wanna go home. :(

Also I'm going to talk to the landlord about pro-rating the rent.
You sound like you're rationalizing with yourself because you want to try and unwind this to go back to your normal life, but I think you know better:

E/N Smashed House Update:

The landlord's insurance adjuster came out today, although I haven't heard what they said yet. The landlord put a plywood patch over the hole in the bedroom wall and a sheet of metal on the roof above the laundry room. Unfortunately, the roof is leaking a ton still and the drywall is starting to fall in. We're supposed to get more ice and snow this weekend so I expect the ceiling will cave in. The power is back on so we'll move back in tomorrow, but I'm worried the rest of the trees will fall and take out the power line or crush some other part of the house.
You don't want to be there as the roof caves in, or when another tree comes down and takes out more of the house, possibly a part that you are currently under. Has the landlord done anything about the trees? The first one was a warning, they should have taken that as advice to have other trees looked at for potential risk. If not, why not? Why do you think you should trust someone who isn't being proactive with your safety?

I think that your reaction is natural. You've lived here for 8 years, even if you are renting this disaster is robbing you of your home and that is painful and difficult to accept, especially if other parties aren't helping you to this realization.

What are your parents saying about this? Have you talked to them? What about your friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As for how you know when the house is safe to move into, this is what house inspectors are for. The repairs for the house will probably require a permit from the city, and that means that the city will send out inspectors to review the work. You should not move in until they say it's safe. In fact you should consider hiring your own inspector, just in case your city uses inspectors that phone it in or favor your landlord (who is indirectly paying their paychecks). Inspectors typically cost a few hundred dollars.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

GreenNight posted:

Home grown bidet

A little late to the party, but I've actually seen this in multiple places: it's for cleaning cloth diapers.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

pokchu posted:

A little late to the party, but I've actually seen this in multiple places: it's for cleaning cloth diapers.

Every bathroom I saw in Abu Dhabi had a spray hose like that. I don't think they were catering for the diaper crowd. ;)

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I want to get a diaper sprayer just because it would be handy for washing litterboxes in the tub since I don't have a shower wand. Hose outside doesn't work too well in the winter when its 15f.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Boogalo posted:

I want to get a diaper sprayer just because it would be handy for washing litterboxes in the tub since I don't have a shower wand. Hose outside doesn't work too well in the winter when its 15f.

I use this to wash my dog. It's very easy to remove the sprayer hose when you don't need it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rinse-Ace-Sprayer-Showerhead-Attachment/dp/B000633XBE

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

extravadanza posted:

I use this to wash my dog. It's very easy to remove the sprayer hose when you don't need it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rinse-Ace-Sprayer-Showerhead-Attachment/dp/B000633XBE

I just got one of those detachable shower heads with the hose. Does the same thing, has better control over water temperature, and improves my showers too.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

I guess I will ask the landlord if the house is safe.
What qualifications does he have? Was he a full-time building inspector for 30 years or something? You are trusting your life to this man because why exactly? How would he know and be able to assess the safety?

If your ceiling caves in, you can be buried. If a tree falls on a power-line, it could result in a fire/electrocution. If a tree falls on the house, you are buried by the ceiling AND a tree.

Don't end your life being smothered by burning rubble, please.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Remember when a bunch of us said to ask your insurance about alternative living expenses? What did they say? They can get you into a "long stay" hotel tonight, probably help you pack up your stuff to prevent damage, then work out something of "like kind and quality" for longer term housing.

Tell them your house is uninhabitable because water is literally melting the walls. See what they say.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm not moving into god drat hotel when I can stay with my parents! Jesus how many times do I have to say that. I'm pretty sick of staying here though, it's weird staying in my childhood bedroom with my husband.

The laundry room drywall falling in is not exactly a danger to my health and safety as I don't spend a lot of time in there, and so far no possessions have been damaged except all the food in the fridge.

I guess I will ask the landlord if the house is safe. I know y'all don't trust a landlord but we've rented from him for almost 8 years now and he likes us a lot so I doubt he'd put us in harm's way.

They will murder you if it makes them more money than not murdering you. Please don't try and play around with this, you can not trust landlords. You are going to die, buried under your poorly placed trust, Ice, and your now squished home.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

never trust a landlord

Even if your landlord is trustworthy, personally, never loving trust them.

The insurance corporations wont and will gently caress you over if they get half a chance.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It doesn't sound immediately dangerous but it does seem very silly to spend winter in a house with a crushed roof.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking as a landlord, you don't have to be actively malicious and greedy to still make a bad call about the best way to care for you tenants and property. Temporarily moving out is a hardship, but living in a damaged house could be dangerous.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The winds are gonna be 30-40 MPH this weekend and all that arctic air is gonna shoot right through those tree sized gaps

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

there wolf posted:

Speaking as a landlord, you don't have to be actively malicious and greedy to still make a bad call about the best way to care for you tenants and property. Temporarily moving out is a hardship, but living in a damaged house could be dangerous.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The question still remains: how do I determine if the house is safe or not? I just wanna go home. :(

Also I'm going to talk to the landlord about pro-rating the rent.

You. You determine whether or not the house is liveable ("safe" is a very, very low bar).

If the loss has resulted in the premises no longer being at the-quality-of-life level that you reasonably expected when you rented the place, then you don't live there...this includes the commotion & displacement of repairs, with contractor folks coming & going, etc.

Having said that: if you're comfortable enough with the circumstances, and that includes accounting for the joy of living in a hotel, or with your parents, then that is up to the two of you.

You do have additional living expense coverage through your renter's insurance. You don't have to have damage to your contents first. You simply tell your adjuster that the house is not in an acceptable condition for living, and that you'll be out until it's repaired, and that you'd appreciate it if they would find you, and your pets (yes, they will pay to put them up as well) reasonable temporary accomodations, then follow their instructions on how to proceed.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 18, 2019

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I guess I’m not clear about this yet, has wrecked house dude called his agent at all to make a claim?

Sorry if I missed it. it’s been days.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

I guess I’m not clear about this yet, has wrecked house dude called his agent at all to make a claim?

Who knows. I gave up. I’ll throw a rope down, but they have to climb out themself.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

The OP said they closed the claim for some odd reason :shrug:

at this point I am not even sure they really have an agent...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

schmug posted:

The OP said they closed the claim for some odd reason :shrug:

at this point I am not even sure they really have an agent...

We are going to find out that the insurance OP has is provided through a company their landlord owns and offers a discount on any house that is rented from said landlord!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:frogon:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Stay
Out
Of
The
Well

Can I piss in it?

:wellpiss:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

if you try it's not like the roof will stop you

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
:(

Please stop being mean to me, I've never been in a situation like this before. All the holes in the house have been patched and it is in livable condition except the internet hasn't been hooked back up yet. I'm still at my parents' house because it's going to storm tonight and I'm a little apprehensive about that.

All downed tree limbs have been hauled away. The roof will be fixed once all the snow clears up. I don't know what I'm doing about insurance right now. I'm a little distracted because I have a medical treatment every day for the next five weeks (transcranial magnetic stimulation for chronic depression) which is my main focus right now.

I'm just kind of overwhelmed and doing the best I can, ok?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Please stop being mean to me, I've never been in a situation like this before. All the holes in the house have been patched and it is in livable condition except the internet hasn't been hooked back up yet. I'm still at my parents' house because it's going to storm tonight and I'm a little apprehensive about that.

All downed tree limbs have been hauled away. The roof will be fixed once all the snow clears up. I don't know what I'm doing about insurance right now. I'm a little distracted because I have a medical treatment every day for the next five weeks (transcranial magnetic stimulation for chronic depression) which is my main focus right now.

We didn’t know dude, and folks were just joking or trying to give advice. Perhaps have your parents contact the agent? Good luck.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

You're going to be okay, friend.

People in this thread may be more familiar with insurance and bureaucracy, etc, than you are... And you're in a really stressful situation with a lot going on.

I think staying at your folks place probably makes sense since things are so much temporarily, and people can help you figure out the next steps of what you need to do.

I'm not an insurance expert or a landlord lawyer or whatever, but from reading the thread, it sounds like before you move back in, you get your insurance company to inspect the place and say it's safe. Is that right, experts?

I really hope your treatment works. My best friend just did the same thing with great success, and I'm hoping for the same results for you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Chiming in to say the tough love comes from a place of concern, since the folks here legitimately don't want to see you get taken advantage of by a landlord & want you to have a home to go.

Now, if you were to cut into your roof joists, then....

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be fair people were really understanding until floor joice guy doubled downa bout how his sunken bathtub would make FEMALES demand his home adding 100s of thousands of dollars to his resale value(????)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

You’ve handled it better than most people would.

This thread just got overzealous in advice and tone.

schmug
May 20, 2007

No one was trying to be mean. You told a story was looking for advise and we gave it. You decided to not listen because that's apparently what goons do. Hope it woks out, but you are still being incredibly naive.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just make sure to take care of yourself and your family roofgoon. please dont blindly trust the landlord to look out for your interests.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

To be fair people were really understanding until floor joice guy doubled downa bout how his sunken bathtub would make FEMALES demand his home adding 100s of thousands of dollars to his resale value(????)

Goons are abrasive because we think that insults are humor, but we aren't usually being malicious unless you're being willfully stupid.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

schmug
May 20, 2007

what kind of brain comes up with this poo poo and says, yeah that should work?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

NO

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
This is the content I subscribed for.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The fence gets the award for "least likely to kill multiple people"

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Motronic posted:

Can I piss in it?

:wellpiss:

Someone might need to post that again for the young'ins. Wasn't it "analogous thread summary theater"?

Also, SE Asia:

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 19, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Someone might need to post that again for the young'ins. Wasn't it "analogous thread summary theater"?

It's always a good time to repost goon in a well.

quote:

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!"
OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well."
Goon22:"Yeah, like any of you guys have even seen a real well, you neckbearded, WOW-addicted shut-ins."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Goon 22 was a later, unnecessary edition.