Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Domestic Amuse posted:

* Local LEOs could care less unless you're speeding or black

In which case they couldn't care less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wayfinder posted:

In which case they couldn't care less?
For some reason, people really struggle with that one.

Content:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 26, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

InitialDave posted:

For some people, really struggle with that one.

Content:

Mute point.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

InitialDave posted:

For some people, really struggle with that one.

Content:

I could watch this over and over again.

And I just might.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Now imagine that plus an airbag deployment. Now you know why to keep the belt on.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

um excuse me posted:

Now imagine that plus an airbag deployment. Now you know why to keep the belt on.

I want to see this and it makes me so very sad that you haven't included a suitable GIF.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Domestic Amuse posted:

Hmm....lemme guess:

* Found at fault for accident
* Only had minimal liability coverage
* No money to buy another car
* Local LEOs could care less unless you're speeding or black

*Poor
*Still has to get around
*Waste not want not
*I'd drive it into the ground too

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

um excuse me posted:

She would have been dead with a Tanaka air bag.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PT6A posted:

I want to see this and it makes me so very sad that you haven't included a suitable GIF.

The new season of mythbusters did this with a syndaver and it went pretty much the way you'd think.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

420 SWAGLORD posted:

*Poor
*Still has to get around
*Waste not want not
*I'd drive it into the ground too

It's been driven into the ground, as well as other things, at this point.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The new season of mythbusters did this with a syndaver and it went pretty much the way you'd think.
TIL that Science brought back Mythbusters with a new cast.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

um excuse me posted:

I think the point is don't put your feet on the dashboard.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

You wanna lie down in my car with your feet up, go to the back seat or (ideally) the trunk, because that poo poo ain't happening up front.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What a jerkoff

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 29, 2018

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

What a jerkoff

I guess now I have a new answer for "what would you do if you saw the ballistic missile warning on your phone" question.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Every man dies. Not every man truly lives.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
He suffered from premature ejection. :quagmire:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like an ideal way to go.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the pure anger radiating from the bright orange/black Mustang that got trapped in the Right Lane Penalty Box for almost my entire morning commute really makes me wish I had a dashcam

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I saw no less than two cars today go from the middle lane to cross the gore point at the last second for an exit.

I swear to the gods people need to be fully retested sometimes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

iospace posted:

I saw no less than two cars today go from the middle lane to cross the gore point at the last second for an exit.

I saw that today as well.

Also: one guy who, it appeared, could not decide if he wanted to turn into his driveway, and compromised by parking across the road for some reason, and on the news, someone who failed to negotiate a turn on an exit ramp at 1:45AM and turned her car into a fireball a short distance away. Alcohol and speed were believed to be factors, if you can believe that! Luckily, her passenger did not die, but we will no longer be sharing the road with that driver.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

This is more weird than infuriating. The exit I take to get off of the Garden State Parkway is preceded by an onramp that goes directly into the tolled offramp exit; the space between the ramps is about a mile. I'm about to merge into the exit lane when a SUV comes in from the onramp so I merge in behind him. We're doing the speed limit and there are plenty of gaps for him to merge onto the Parkway but the SUV doesn't make any motions to try to merge out. We're quickly approaching the offramp which has a 50 cent toll and I'm expecting the SUV to dart out at the last minute or plow through the gore lines into breakdown lane instead of the exit.

Nope; nothing dramatic happened. The SUV took the exit, paid the 50 cent toll, and went on it's way. Either the driver accidentally got onto the onramp and just bit the 50 cents to get off (unlikely because the onramp is well marked and doesn't coincide with any other streets or point of interests) or that particular route is faster despite having to pay the toll. :iiam:

Ninja edit: Upon closer inspection, there is no nearby road that parallels the Parkway for that 1 mile stretch. The closest parallel paths add an additional 2 to 3 miles in addition to lower speed limits and more traffic. Typical New Jersey, I guess.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

iospace posted:

I got to watch someone do this and cut off a state police officer on the offramp in RI about 2 weeks ago.:unsmigghh:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Edward IV posted:

This is more weird than infuriating. The exit I take to get off of the Garden State Parkway is preceded by an onramp that goes directly into the tolled offramp exit; the space between the ramps is about a mile. I'm about to merge into the exit lane when a SUV comes in from the onramp so I merge in behind him. We're doing the speed limit and there are plenty of gaps for him to merge onto the Parkway but the SUV doesn't make any motions to try to merge out. We're quickly approaching the offramp which has a 50 cent toll and I'm expecting the SUV to dart out at the last minute or plow through the gore lines into breakdown lane instead of the exit.

Nope; nothing dramatic happened. The SUV took the exit, paid the 50 cent toll, and went on it's way. Either the driver accidentally got onto the onramp and just bit the 50 cents to get off (unlikely because the onramp is well marked and doesn't coincide with any other streets or point of interests) or that particular route is faster despite having to pay the toll. :iiam:

Ninja edit: Upon closer inspection, there is no nearby road that parallels the Parkway for that 1 mile stretch. The closest parallel paths add an additional 2 to 3 miles in addition to lower speed limits and more traffic. Typical New Jersey, I guess.

What exit is this, out of curiosity?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

What exit is this, out of curiosity?

Southbound Exit 89 in Lakewood.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edward IV posted:

Yeah, I’d take the Parkway.

My time is worth at least ten dollars per hour

Fuel and car maintenance are the cherry on top.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Yeah, I’d take the Parkway.

My time is worth at least ten dollars per hour

Fuel and car maintenance are the cherry on top.

I took the Tap to the Parkway from MA today specifically to avoid the GWB- 20 minutes longer but much less in cash and emotional tolls.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

iospace posted:

Watch someone do that last night on the way to work as well. Thankfully if they'd hosed up and missed it they would have just driven out onto the grass. Of course if they hosed up and broke too hard they would have also inserted their car into the grill the cargo truck they cut off to make that exit.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Alkydere posted:

Watch someone do that last night on the way to work as well. Thankfully if they'd hosed up and missed it they would have just driven out onto the grass. Of course if they hosed up and broke too hard they would have also inserted their car into the grill the cargo truck they cut off to make that exit.

When you're slowing down, it's proper English to say "braked". I was tripped up for a second there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EightBit posted:

When you're slowing down, it's proper English to say "braked". I was tripped up for a second there.

Car, as she is broke.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I took the Tap to the Parkway from MA today specifically to avoid the GWB- 20 minutes longer but much less in cash and emotional tolls.

That area is always fun. I'm exit 172 on the Parkway, aka the last exit before it turns into the New York Thruway, so it's really a magical place where the worst of 3 worlds combine: NYC commuters from Westchester County/CT, NJ drivers, and NYC drivers.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

EightBit posted:

"Applied a negative acceleration to their vector"

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Had an aggressive driver (tailgating, swerving, standard "I wanna go faster than traffic will let me" stuff) that almost rear ended me when he tried to undertake on the shoulder when a truck in front of me slowed to a make a left while only halfway in the center turning lane. Passed me a mile later when the road opened up to an expressway.

Expressway ends and he's now a few cars ahead but stuck behind a semi, puts up with it for a few miles but eventually passes the semi by using a left turn lane.

Guess he didn't see the cop sitting at the gas station at the intersection.

Cop definitely saw him though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm pretty sure the literal English translation of the word schadenfreude is "the feeling you get when someone aggros you and immediately gets pulled over for it"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Coming down the mountain on I17 to Phoenix a few nights ago and had to pass a left lane hog doing 60. He then proceeded to crawl up my rear end while I had my cruise set for 80 for the remaining FORTY MILES with his brights on. I just pointed my side mirrors back at him, set my dimmer, left the cruise at 80 and relaxed to my usual history podcasts.

Man, how empty does your life have to be to violently tailgate someone for 40 loving miles because they passed you on the right? Eeesh.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
I was going 15 over on the way home today and passing cars while in the left lane. Had a guy tailgating the crap out of me and when there was a slight gap (I wasn't going to move over to be in the non-passing lane for less then 5 seconds) he undertook, cut me off and slammed on his brakes. Thought for sure I was going to rear end him.

I should really get a dash cam.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrLogan posted:

I was going 15 over on the way home today and passing cars while in the left lane. Had a guy tailgating the crap out of me and when there was a slight gap (I wasn't going to move over to be in the non-passing lane for less then 5 seconds) he undertook, cut me off and slammed on his brakes. Thought for sure I was going to rear end him.

I should really get a dash cam.
God, I loving hate that. No, I will not pull over when you want me to. I'm making my own assessment of the best way to handle whatever the current traffic is, and there's almost certainly a reason why I haven't. Generally because to do so would put me to close in front of whoever I'm pulling in ahead of.

It's like people who pull back in from lane 3 to 2 at a position that means the maneouvre takes place off the rear corner of a car (or especially a van/truck) and risks them pulling out into you, or pulling into lane 1 while passing a sliproad that might have someone you can't see joining from. Just stay out that fraction longer and consider the entire maneouvre and what the vehicles around you are doing or might do.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
People who tailgate when you're in the middle traffic can gently caress right off the edge of a cliff.

Yeah, dude, I get it, we all want to go faster. But tailgating me isn't going to make the like 8 cars in front of me go faster. All you're doing is increasing the risk of damage to your front bumper and my rear bumper.

Even if I'm passing traffic and can't merge over right now, just lay off. You don't need to constantly tailgate to get your point across. I want you to get by me so I have less reckless idiots behind me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There's a fine line IMO between that sort of thing and the people who are driving above the speed limit, in the passing lane, with no traffic in the center, but refuse to move when you come up behind them.