Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that right there is 100% proof the iwatch would never have seen the light of day under stebe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
rokr laff factory continuing to produce

quote:

Development had continued on the Rokr throughout 2005. “We all thought the Rokr was a joke,” Williamson says. The famously hands-on CEO didn’t see the finished Rokr until early September 2005, right before he was supposed to announce it to the world. And he was aghast. “He was like, ‘What else can we do, how can we fix it?’ He knew it was subpar but he didn’t know how bad it was going to be. When it finally got there, he didn’t even want to show it onstage because he was so embarrassed by it,” Fadell says.

During the demonstration, Jobs held the phone like an unwashed sock. At one point the Rokr failed to switch from making calls to playing music, leaving him visibly agitated. So, at about the same moment that Jobs was announcing “the world’s first mobile phone with iTunes” to the media, he was resolving to make it obsolete. He helped by lavishing praise on the new iPod Nano, clearly elevating it as the star of the show and reportedly leaving Motorola execs fuming.
"Rokr’s sheer shittiness took Jobs by surprise"

“When he got offstage he was just like, ‘Ugh,’ really upset,” Fadell says. The Rokr was such a disaster that it landed on the cover of Wired with the headline “You Call This the Phone of the Future?” and it was soon being returned at a rate six times higher than the industry average. Its sheer shittiness took Jobs by surprise — and his anger helped motivate him to squeeze the trigger harder on an Apple-built phone. “It wasn’t when it failed. It was right after it launched,” Fadell says. “This is not gonna fly. I’m sick and tired of dealing with bozo handset guys,” Jobs told Fadell after the demo.

“That was the ultimate thing,” Fadell says. “It was, ‘gently caress this, we’re going to make our own phone.’ ”

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I had a rokr, and loved it. It came out right before the iPhone, and I remember I wasn't sold with the first iPhone for some reason. So I kept with my Motorolla phones and still used an iPod as my main music listening device. I put like 100 songs on the rokr just to have, and used that at one of my old lovely jobs that wouldn't let me use headphones, but I could have the speaker play the music without a problem. The fact that it synced with iTunes and updated playcount was cool for me for a lovely tiny phone.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
apple was still bitter at Motorola for all those years of delivering underperforming PowerPC chips, late, and with terrible yields. this was their last gently caress you to ed Zander.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the first iphone wasn't very good, the 3gs was the first decent one and the 4 was ultimate steve perfection

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

the first iphone wasn't very good, the 3gs was the first decent one and the se was ultimate steve perfection

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

the first iphone wasn't very good, the 3gs was the first decent one and the 4 was ultimate steve perfection

the 4 was unusable because the hardware wasn't fast enough. the 3gs was the first good iPhone and the 4s was the last.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

the 4 was feature complete (minus 3d touch), all iphones since are just spec bumps

in 100 years the iphone 4 will be the model T of phones

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

lol the SE is the pinnacle of iPhone development

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

lol the SE is the pinnacle of iPhone development

SE stands for second after 7 plus

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

3D Touch is kind of gimmicky

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
3d touch is a usability/discoverability nightmare

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

3d touch is a usability/discoverability nightmare

This is why I never use 3D Touch. I'm sure it's useful, but I never think about it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm sorry I can't hear your over my plugged in headphones

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

I'm sorry I can't hear your over my plugged in headphones
let me know when you can move more than a cable's length away from the wall socket

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

my phone lasts 18~ hours I'm fine

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

my phone lasts 18~ hours I'm fine
much like 7 plus owners with wired headphones?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i use 3d touch to switch between apps and wish i could turn off all other functionality attached to it because none of it is ever useful and sometimes gets in the way of switching apps

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

FMguru posted:

i guess theres a definitive history of the iphone coming out (to coincide with the tenth anniversary) and the verge has some excerpts

should be some fun dirt in there

e: lol the rokr

mission accomplished, im definitely picking this book up when it drops

that was a good read gonna buy that book

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I am literally waiting at home for my iPad Pro to be delivered like a loving plebeian. I had one on my desk at work for months and now I'm reduced to this.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

why not take it home with you, was it chained to your desk?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Perplx posted:

the 4 was feature complete (minus 3d touch), all iphones since are just spec bumps

in 100 years the iphone 4 will be the model T of phones

touch id

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

gently caress, there goes my fanboy cred

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Boiled Water posted:

why not take it home with you, was it chained to your desk?

because you can't take unannounced prototypes out of the office. unless you're in a special program but that's a pain in the rear end.

I had an older proto that I was using at home, but I had to give that back too.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

because you can't take unannounced prototypes out of the office. unless you're in a special program but that's a pain in the rear end.

makes sense,

NeXT question: why not pick one up on your way home?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Boiled Water posted:

makes sense,

NeXT question: why not pick one up on your way home?

because I bought it with the employee discount, and it wasn't available for me to pick up in a store until a later date than I could get it shipped. there's some fuckery with the shipping of employee units so real customers can get them first.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol the ipad surface 2

i wonder if samsung or microsoft advertised punching yourself in the balls how quickly tim would wind up in the hospital

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

stupid optional fabric keyboard is the only feature they copied from anyone else

the only person who deserves to be fired is jony for shipping the pencil with the world's most idiotic charging scheme and that also prevents there from being an eraser end

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the smart keyboard is better than the macbook/mbp keyboard, honestly

and it's more vinyl than fabric, really

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

stupid optional fabric keyboard is the only feature they copied from anyone else

the only person who deserves to be fired is jony for shipping the pencil with the world's most idiotic charging scheme and that also prevents there from being an eraser end

they also copied the entire concept that a touchscreen ersatz laptop is anything people actually want or is a product category that deserves to exist

steve rightfully laughed at the idea of touchscreen laptops and tim is too easily spooked by competitors' advertising

poty
Jun 21, 2008

The Management posted:

the new ipad pro is good thank you for your service

ps: whats the coupon code for friends and family

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Stymie posted:

steve rightfully laughed at the idea of touchscreen laptops

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the ipads pro are not laptops they're tablets you can add a keyboard to but you can't use in your lap and are touch-first devices by any measure

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the ipad pro seems cool and good, and i might get one, but clearly it is following in the footsteps of the surface, and it is a bit sad if you have any investment in it being otherwise

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
instead of inventing the microsoft surface apple should just develop a good hand held chording keyboard and then sell it to me

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The iPod phone was losing support. The executives debated which project to pursue, but Phil Schiller, Apple’s head of marketing, had an answer: Neither. He wanted a keyboard with hard buttons. The BlackBerry was arguably the first hit smartphone. It had an email client and a tiny hard keyboard. After everyone else, including Fadell, started to agree that multitouch was the way forward, Schiller became the lone holdout.

He “just sat there with his sword out every time, going, ‘No, we’ve got to have a hard keyboard. No. Hard keyboard.’ And he wouldn’t listen to reason as all of us were like, ‘No, this works now, Phil.’ And he’d say, ‘You gotta have a hard keyboard!’” Fadell says.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I try to keep my sword sheathed during meetings, mostly because once it is drawn I can not put it away until it has tasted blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

The iPod phone was losing support. The executives debated which project to pursue, but Phil Schiller, Apple’s head of marketing, had an answer: Neither. He wanted a keyboard with hard buttons. The BlackBerry was arguably the first hit smartphone. It had an email client and a tiny hard keyboard. After everyone else, including Fadell, started to agree that multitouch was the way forward, Schiller became the lone holdout.

He “just sat there with his sword out every time, going, ‘No, we’ve got to have a hard keyboard. No. Hard keyboard.’ And he wouldn’t listen to reason as all of us were like, ‘No, this works now, Phil.’ And he’d say, ‘You gotta have a hard keyboard!’” Fadell says.

between this and the reports that he was pushing for bigger screens on iphones from early on im starting to think phil schiller is an agent from microsofts fifth column

• Locked thread