Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Dr. Klas posted:

You made me look up the longest escalator in the world: Three stations in the St Petersburg Metro have 137m long escalators with height differences of 68.5m. Must be a scary experience to ride there.
I was there this year, and it's really not? It'll just take a long time. I admit it's a little...deep when first looking down them, but you quickly forget that as you stand there twiddling your thumbs for a while. Most people, I found, are not in a hurry, and as the escalators are so long, there will be SOMEONE blocking progress, so you cannot walk. Neither should you because that's a long loving set of stairs.

And you gotta hand it to St. Petersburg: those tubes leading down are well-lit with some tasteful-rear end lamps, sometimes the escalators are wood-finished and gently caress me if they aren't clean. I watched them being cleaned multiple times, actually, and I only was there five days for a conference.
Great city, would recommend if you always wanted to go to Russia, but not, like, RUSSIA Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Bogatyr posted:

"Comcast repairman doesn't give a drat that cars are sliding off the road to avoid his truck"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCEzEVJkO1U

Never mind the fact that those idiots were going slightly too fast in really bad weather over a hill.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-QRFH_3faM

:confused: Where is the Candle Supply?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Lemon posted:

Taking the stairs there is fun because they are a very wide endless spiral and as you ascend you will end up with a climbing buddy going at the same pace as you and passing occasional climbers who have failed in their attempt.

Keep an eye out for Green Boots: when you see him it means you're nearly at the top of the stairs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s in the building to the right of the pit.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Some guy tried to rob a former pro wrestler with a BB gun. It went poorly.

http://deadspin.com/former-pro-wrestler-wrecks-man-who-allegedly-tried-to-t-1790107415

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Personal schadenfreude on me: where I live gets completely hosed when it snows due to lack of infrastructure. I come from snowy states, though, so I thought I could get home okay from work. There is a huge, unavoidable incline between me and home. I was halfway up, trundling along, when this dude drives his suv out of his driveway and over the median curb. I have to stop, killing my momentum, and I get stuck.

I offer to help push the guy's car out and then have him help me, and he thinks it's a great idea. We push him out first, since he's in the way, and then he gets in his car and drives off. Thanks for completely loving my drive home, random stranger! My car is still completely stuck, but at least I got it into a parking space. The schad is on me for trusting another human being, I guess.

:smith:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Tasty schadenfreude: some woman who's too full of herself stormed aboard a flight to snatch up on overhead room. She gets tased and dragged off by cops. The video is heartwarming.
http://jalopnik.com/woman-dragged-off-flight-by-police-for-blowing-through-1790097595

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Henchman of Santa posted:

Some guy tried to rob a former pro wrestler with a BB gun. It went poorly.

http://deadspin.com/former-pro-wrestler-wrecks-man-who-allegedly-tried-to-t-1790107415

Shad Gaspard. Pretty dumb to try and rob a guy who looks like this.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

you fucker, whats freude about this?

This is what you get for posting without reading the article. If you read the article you would see that someone was burnt to death.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

Shad Gaspard. Pretty dumb to try and rob a guy who looks like this.

"I am going to rob this guy who is a whole foot taller than me and has about 50 lbs on me" - someone who deserves everything that happens next

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Bip Roberts posted:

This is what you get for posting without reading the article. If you read the article you would see that someone was burnt to death.

yes, and you think thats funny? or that the guy who did it got prison? of course I read it, he got prison for being a murderer that's still not funny

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fireworks 'suicide' vest.

http://i.imgur.com/6fzfOyp.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STqi4HTUUmg

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
I'm the asymmetrical Triforce tattoo.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

I mean, at this point I know it's become passe to ask this question, but... what the gently caress did he think was going to happen?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

I mean, at this point I know it's become passe to ask this question, but... what the gently caress did he think was going to happen?

He'd make a thousand bucks in YouTube views.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

I watched this, and I still think he looks like he's wearing a fat suit. He just looks so fabricy

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
I thought he was wearing a sumo-suit when I first saw the gif. Jesus christ.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is that poo poo under his left arm some kind of growth or a bad burn?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

chitoryu12 posted:

If you want a really godawful subway map, here's a section of one from the 1970s.

They gave every single service its own individual color and used double letters for some of them. They also repeatedly changed which letters applied to which services, so good luck remembering to catch a D to work when it changed to a G a few months ago.

Why did they decide to use such a loving stupid naming scheme?

In Melbourne, we have a massive interconnected rail network but we call the trains by where they end up.

Train goes to Sandringham? It's called the Sandringham line. Train goes to Lilydale? It's called the Lilydale line. Train goes to Werribee? Go on, guess what it's called.

TontoCorazon posted:

Never mind the fact that those idiots were going slightly too fast in really bad weather over a hill.

Bingo!

If you crest a hill in lovely weather, you should slow the gently caress down so that you can avoid any obstacles.

What if it wasn't a Comcast truck pulled to one side, but a crash across the entire road? Fuckers would have killed everyone.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

XTimmy posted:

I thought he was wearing a sumo-suit when I first saw the gif. Jesus christ.

Third. I thought he was trying to be somewhat sensible and have an underlay to prevent burns.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I pity the cities with complex underground rail systems with all their different lines and colours. Different names, different levels and getting lost.

In Glasgow, you can literally never get on the wrong underground train.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why did they decide to use such a loving stupid naming scheme?

In Melbourne, we have a massive interconnected rail network but we call the trains by where they end up.

Train goes to Sandringham? It's called the Sandringham line. Train goes to Lilydale? It's called the Lilydale line. Train goes to Werribee? Go on, guess what it's called.

Multiple trains go to many terminal stations. Four trains terminate at Coney Island. What do we call them?

Also, the previously mentioned roots of our system in 3 competing companies.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ultrabindu posted:

Then you have the godforsaken escalators.
The station I get off for work is Angel station with escalators a length of 60m, and a vertical rise of 27.5m. The longest in western europe.

Groda posted:

There have to be longer ones than 60 m here in Stockholm.

Yup: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A4stra_skogen_metro_station

quote:

The station was opened on 31 August 1975. It features the longest escalator in western Europe, 66 meters and with a vertical rise of 33 meters.[1]

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Queering Wheel posted:

I'm the asymmetrical Triforce tattoo.

It was symmetrical when he got it.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Re: confusing train chat. Tokyo would like a word with you all.

Edit: the schadenfreude is on other cities that have trains that are perpetually delayed, dirty, or otherwise lovely. If Tokyo can keep that mess running on time, and clean, despite being literally packed to bursting 90% of the time then other cities don't really have an excuse.

EKDS5k has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Dec 15, 2016

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

betterinsodapop posted:

The G train is the best train on the entire system, as far is the station locations, where it goes, etc. The G train is the 2nd WORST train on the service (second to the L) as far as train frequency, punctuality, crowdedness, etc...
I remember back in 2009, you could take the G from Greenpoint all the way to Astoria. Those were the days...

The real scoodyfroody: the L train has a HUGE ridership and is headed for an imminent shutdown for undetermined amount of time. Oh boy...

You truly think the L is the worst? It may have some of the dumbest riders in terms of train etiquette, but the trains are new and run frequently. You should take the trains they run up into the Bronx--the oldest cars, dirty, lights burn out at least once a trip...

(Sorry for contributing to the train derail. :downsrim:.)

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
In terms of the train I would like to ride least, I do think that the L is at the top. As you said, it definitely has the most insufferable riders (Williamsburg/Bushwick people,) it is slammed pretty much all the way from Myrtle/Wyckoff all the way into Union Sq. during commute hours, just riding the thing is harrowing. I will at least say that the trains themselves do seem to be in good shape!

I've only ever taken the 123 line up that far, and had no problems, but I admit that I have very little experience going up to the BX. It doesn't surprise me that the Bronx gets the shittiest trains. :smith:

Anyway, as much as the MTA blows at times, it is (for the most part) reliable and operates 24/7. Coming from the podunk that is Boston, it still blows my mind.

edit: content:
Panda Poops On Another Sleeping Panda
:nms:https://youtu.be/GO6jGbspjUw :nms:
This has prob been posted before, but it may have been a long time ago.

betterinsodapop has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Dec 15, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

zakharov posted:

Multiple trains go to many terminal stations. Four trains terminate at Coney Island. What do we call them?

Also, the previously mentioned roots of our system in 3 competing companies.

Coney Island Express. Coney Island All Stations. Coney Island via Washington Square.

Name the train by where it goes and where it ends up.

Is it really that hard?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's also multiple trains running on the exact same length of track that stop at the same stations and just take different branches around places they don't stop or have different terminating stations, so you'd have to fill up every station on the map with abbreviations if you don't want to fully spell out the name of each service that stops there and oh look you're just using the letter/number system again.

Here's the full size map:

You just find which station is closest to your final destination and see which trains stop there, then see which station closest to you has one of those trains. On my last trip, I decided to go eat at Khe-Yo. The closest station (a few blocks away from the restaurant) is Chambers Street, which the 1, 2, and 3 stop at. Conveniently, my hotel is at 39th Street and 9th Avenue and a 10 minute walk from the Times Square-42nd Street station that has 1, 2, and 3 stops. So I just walk to Times Square-42nd Street and take any of those three trains (as you can see, a fuckton of trains stop there and it's a huge transit nexus for Manhattan) down to the Chambers Street station.

Let's say I'm up on 115th and Lexington and I have no easy access to the 1, 2, or 3. I can jump on a 6 at the 110th Street station a few blocks down, take it to Lexington Avenue-59th Street station and get on an N, R, or W, and then take that to Times Square-42nd Street. It takes forever compared to traveling the same distance by highway, but you can go from one side of the island to the other with two transfers and never seeing the sky.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
stolen from the OSHA thread

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rascar Capac posted:

Keep an eye out for Green Boots: when you see him it means you're nearly at the top of the stairs.

:golfclap:
I laughed

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Mak0rz posted:

Is that poo poo under his left arm some kind of growth or a bad burn?

Yes.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Thrifting Day! posted:

I pity the cities with complex underground rail systems with all their different lines and colours. Different names, different levels and getting lost.

Yeah but you always end up in Glasgow, so technically every train is the wrong train.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Thrifting Day! posted:

I love the Glasgow subway. Even if you fall asleep you'll still end up at the right station.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

I love the Glasgow subway. Even if you fall asleep you'll still end up at the right station.

That sounds like a recipe to have the homeless ride the trains all day.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

You'll still be in glasgow though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

EKDS5k posted:

Re: confusing train chat. Tokyo would like a word with you all.

Edit: the schadenfreude is on other cities that have trains that are perpetually delayed, dirty, or otherwise lovely. If Tokyo can keep that mess running on time, and clean, despite being literally packed to bursting 90% of the time then other cities don't really have an excuse.

Tokyo also has multiple operators, most of which don't cross honor tickets purchased for other lines. Probably less of an issue with a JR Pass, but even that doesn't work on all the lines in Tokyo I think. So you end up buying a ticket for most transfers.

The trains are super clean, people actually wait in line to board trains, and wait for people to leave before trying to board. But the system is confusing as all hell. The NYC subway was a good training ground but I still had all kinds of trouble using the Tokyo subway.