Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

monster on a stick posted:

If you want to play a Muslim which is easymode right now, get Sword of Islam.
If you want to play a Republic and make $$, get The Republic.
If you want to play as the Vikings (other pagans but mostly the Vikings), get The Old Gods.
If you want to play a Jew or want some additional Catholic flavor, get Sons of Abraham.
If you want to play in India for some reason, get Rajas of India.
If you want to play as Charlemagne, get Charlemagne.
If you want to restore the Roman Empire and play with a broken standing army (broken = costs too much to be practical), get Legacy of Rome.

Also, the base game starts in 1066, with Old Gods you can start in 867, or with Charlemagne in 769.

Legacy of Rome's standing armies (Retinues) aren't too expensive or broken either, Monster is just annoyed because their costs got increased - check the CK2 thread for more varied opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Quest For Glory II posted:

GMG VIP deals today:

Strider (AWESOME GAME) - $5.99
Murdered: Soul Suspect - $5.99
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishment - $21.63
Lego Batman 3 - $20.24
Ultra Street Fighter IV - $15.67
Journey of a Roach - $2.20

$20 for Lego Batman 3 I guess is good if you need to play it now, but the price of Lego games drops like a rock after a couple of months of them being out. Lego Marvel came out around this time last year and was on sale for $5 by the time the summer sale rolled around, maybe even before. The Lego Movie game came out in like February and was $5 at that point too.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Kurtofan posted:

Think it's safe to wait for the winter sale or whatever? I want to get Alpha Protocol.

Yeh, if you don't feel the need to grab Alpha Protocol right this very instant, wait until the winter sale season starts. I think I picked it up for under $5 from Greenman last year.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
So after an entire two days, I can make store purchases again. Not that I;m complaining, but hopefully this glitch doesn't suddenly reoccur during the holiday sale next month.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

King Vidiot posted:

The shame about Remember Me is that in spite of every thing else about it being really good, particularly the visuals, the gameplay is just incredibly barebones and tedious. It's the linear, mindless platforming of the Tomb Raider reboot combined with a stripped-down mix of Batman Arkham and something like Devil May Cry. I made it to the halfway point and then just completely lost interest in continuing.

The combat is okay and the combo system interesting if you are into that type of thing (sadly I'm not), but there is far too much of it and it just becomes a boring slog getting in the way of the climbing/jumping and the (far too few) puzzles. By the time you've unlocked all the special attacks and built up your focus so you can combine multiple specials together, you've already fought your way through boring fight after boring fight where you DIDN'T have those abilities. It's a short game but like you I reached the halfway point and felt like quitting. I pushed through and finished and it did get better, but even so a rebalancing of the game so it had less combat and more puzzles/memory remixes would have been appreciated.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Darkrenown posted:

Legacy of Rome's standing armies (Retinues) aren't too expensive or broken either, Monster is just annoyed because their costs got increased - check the CK2 thread for more varied opinions.

I'm like 2k posts behind current in the ck2 thread but when the expansion hit the general opinion seemed to be retinues were hosed to be less useful than mercs. have there been some more balance patches since then?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Gyshall posted:

Yes but for $8 Alpha Protocol is a great value. I paid full price and got my monies worth ten times over, there is so much content to see in that game.

Seriously, it does the "branching conversations" better than any game I've seen.

Oh I love the game, it's just that I already own it on xbox360 so I'd rather wait for a further price drop before buying it on steam. 8 dollars is definitely a steal for that game otherwise.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Yeh, if you don't feel the need to grab Alpha Protocol right this very instant, wait until the winter sale season starts. I think I picked it up for under $5 from Greenman last year.

That's what I'm going to do, thanks.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Am I reading this right, Dynasty Warriors 8 has splitscreen for the PC?

Can I split the screen between my two monitors?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Help help somebody come rescue me I bought FTL and now I can't stop playing. I sunk 22 hours into it over the Thanksgiving holidays. Where did the time go?!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Am I reading this right, Dynasty Warriors 8 has splitscreen for the PC?

Can I split the screen between my two monitors?

checked real fast for you. it does, its top-bottom split and i don't see any options to change it. i don't have a second monitor though

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Awesome! posted:

I'm like 2k posts behind current in the ck2 thread but when the expansion hit the general opinion seemed to be retinues were hosed to be less useful than mercs. have there been some more balance patches since then?

I remember that the Reddit 'recommended retinue' thread said 'welp, archers are the best deal now' and then they nerfed archers, so yes. I could barely afford building retinues in my last game as a republic for what it's worth.

The earlier start dates really don't mean anything if you are new to CK2, unless you want to play tribal which you shouldn't if you are new to the game.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Speaking of dual monitor multiplayer, do any racing games offer multiple monitor support (for multiplayer)? That seems like a no-brainer, but I haven't seen it anywhere.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

monster on a stick posted:

I remember that the Reddit 'recommended retinue' thread said 'welp, archers are the best deal now' and then they nerfed archers, so yes. I could barely afford building retinues in my last game as a republic for what it's worth.

The earlier start dates really don't mean anything if you are new to CK2, unless you want to play tribal which you shouldn't if you are new to the game.
i just left my game on 2.1.6 so i didnt have to deal with it

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Is Shadowrun Returns worth it or completely overshadowed by Dragonfall? They are different campaigns, right?

Six bucks seems a bit steep for a genre I'm not too hot in but a dollar is a pretty good sounding deal.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

In general I wish I could utilize my second monitor in games more than we currently can. I'd love to drag inventory or characters sreens or other UI elements to my second monitor. Having a map on the second monitor while I play on the main screen would just be great.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Det_no posted:

Is Shadowrun Returns worth it or completely overshadowed by Dragonfall? They are different campaigns, right?

Six bucks seems a bit steep for a genre I'm not too hot in but a dollar is a pretty good sounding deal.

Dragonfall is superior by a long ways.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Agent355 posted:

In general I wish I could utilize my second monitor in games more than we currently can. I'd love to drag inventory or characters sreens or other UI elements to my second monitor. Having a map on the second monitor while I play on the main screen would just be great.

This was a thing I was 100% sure was going to happen as a future standard in PC gaming and then didn't because I guess most games still have to cater to the lucrative console markets. And also I guess because maybe most people don't really use dual monitors.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

What is this? Those characters look like they're from one of the Law & Order shows.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've read/heard in a bunch of places that the recommended difficulty setting is hard, since on normal the AI is kind of stupid and the game loses a lot of its tension, so anyone getting the game should give it a try on hard at least.

It isn't stupid as such. On Hard the Alien will be near you all the time, 'tethered' to you much closer than lower difficulties, and destroy any hiding spots if you use them - regardless of whether or not it would logically know you've been inside. It basically raises the Alien's reaction times while forcing you closer to it at all times.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Drunk Tomato posted:

This was a thing I was 100% sure was going to happen as a future standard in PC gaming and then didn't because I guess most games still have to cater to the lucrative console markets. And also I guess because maybe most people don't really use dual monitors.

Having just started recently using a second monitor I've been trying to convert every PC gamer I know, it's fantastic.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

raditts posted:

What is this? Those characters look like they're from one of the Law & Order shows.

no stabler so it's worthless

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Away all Goats posted:

Having just started recently using a second monitor I've been trying to convert every PC gamer I know, it's fantastic.

But games don't cater to it, do they? What's fantastic about it? is it more for multitasking purposes between games and other computer usage, or what?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Nintendo gets it.... but they never port to PC.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Everblight posted:

ehhhhhhhhh, I liked it a lot 7 years ago, but the enemies are kinda meat-shieldy and Battleblock Theater has the same gameplay but better in every other way. BBT not being an absolute ghost town doesn't hurt either.

Battleblock Theater does not at all have the same gameplay as Castle Crashers.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

poptart_fairy posted:

It isn't stupid as such. On Hard the Alien will be near you all the time, 'tethered' to you much closer than lower difficulties, and destroy any hiding spots if you use them - regardless of whether or not it would logically know you've been inside. It basically raises the Alien's reaction times while forcing you closer to it at all times.

Ah, good to know, cheers.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Drifter posted:

But games don't cater to it, do they? What's fantastic about it? is it more for multitasking purposes between games and other computer usage, or what?

If games started using it more often than never it would be amazing. As it is though it's still amazing for other reasons, like multitasking standard computer stuff or using your second monitor as a TV while you play games.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

raditts posted:

Probably because it's a Law and Order game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/205330/

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

raditts posted:

Battleblock Theater does not at all have the same gameplay as Castle Crashers.

Yeah, I'm not sure how you could even start to claim one is a "replacement" for the other.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
What's the chances for a Valkyria Chronicles deal for Christmas?

I mean, more than -10% off.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Regarding Dragonfall: Director's Cut... You should own it. It's awesome. One of the best written RPGs in years.

The original campaign - Dead Man's Switch - isn't nearly as well written, but it's decent enough and a followup to the SNES Shadowrun. It also costs just £1 right now, so well worth getting as an extra.

Now, here's the weird thing: Dragonfall DC runs on an enhanced version of the engine. Better UI, AI and combat in general. It also contains all the resources from Dead Man's Switch - graphics, tilesets, music, etc - but not the campaign itself, even if you own it.

To run Dead Man's Switch in the Director's Cut engine, it's a simple matter of copying over one file and two directories. Do that, and both campaigns will appear in Dragonfall's 'New game' menu. Nice upgrade at an even nicer price. Get on it while it's super cheap!

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 2, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

HenryEx posted:

What's the chances for a Valkyria Chronicles deal for Christmas?

I mean, more than -10% off.

Probably not much. Those Asian publishers tend to think a little differently than American ones.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Drifter posted:

Agent355 posted:

If games started using it more often than never it would be amazing. As it is though it's still amazing for other reasons, like multitasking standard computer stuff or using your second monitor as a TV while you play games.

Some do, but it'll depend a lot on the genre. Sim games have been supporting multiple monitors since the last millennium, and there are quite a few games that sneakily support it without making it a feature by letting you set your game resolution to the entire spanned desktop and then move around the UI bits to fit stuff where you think it should be.

But yes, no-one has yet explicitly made use of it for “gimmick gameplay” the way Nintendo has done on the DC and Wii-U.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Dominic White posted:

Regarding Dragonfall: Director's Cut... You should own it. It's awesome. One of the best written RPGs in years.

The original campaign - Dead Man's Switch - isn't nearly as well written, but it's decent enough and a followup to the SNES Shadowrun. It also costs just £1 right now, so well worth getting as an extra.

Now, here's the weird thing: Dragonfall DC runs on an enhanced version of the engine. Better UI, AI and combat in general. It also contains all the resources from Dead Man's Switch - graphics, tilesets, music, etc - but not the campaign itself, even if you own it.

To run Dead Man's Switch in the Director's Cut engine, it's a simple matter of copying over one file and two directories. Do that, and both campaigns will appear in the 'New game' menu.

Thank you - I did this (forgot about those instructions) and the original campaign loaded up just fine.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
I have 3 copies of Gauntlet available for $7.49/each. PM me if you're interested! Yes, it's from a 4-pack.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Thoughts on Wasteland 2? Worth the $26.79?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Dominic White posted:

To run Dead Man's Switch in the Director's Cut engine, it's a simple matter of copying over one file and two directories. Do that, and both campaigns will appear in Dragonfall's 'New game' menu. Nice upgrade at an even nicer price. Get on it while it's super cheap!

Is it worth the time to play the original campaign, assuming you do it this way with the DF:DC engine? Or should one skip right to Dragonfall? Will Dragonfall make sense as a standalone? I never played the SNES game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
What exactly is in the Deluxe Edition of Far Cry 3, and is it worth an extra $2.50?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how you could even start to claim one is a "replacement" for the other.

Castle Crashers is basically Golden Axe or (Insert Any Given Beat-em-Up Here), BattleBlock Theater is... I don't even know what the gently caress. I guess BattleBlock Theater is its own genre, which I'll just call "Hilarious Fun-as-Hell Platform-em-Up".

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

Is it worth the time to play the original campaign, assuming you do it this way with the DF:DC engine? Or should one skip right to Dragonfall? Will Dragonfall make sense as a standalone? I never played the SNES game.

Both campaigns are totally standalone stories. Dead Man's Switch is kind of a 'My First Shadowrun Adventure' deal, wheras Dragonfall is a far more complex and personal story about a bunch of people in Berlin, which tends to be one more the more interesting locations in the setting.

Dragonfall also drops you into tougher combat, sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ok so I want to buy the Far Cry franchise pack, but I already own Blood Dragon. If I buy the pack as a gift, does anyone know if I'll get the individual games so I can gift Blood Dragon or will it just be one big "franchise pack"?

• Locked thread