Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

WonkyBob posted:

I'm always prepared for everything to go Cronenberg at a moments notice. Turns out I'm the broken one here folks, sorry.

I was wondering why you were so jumpy when we watched Beethoven's 3rd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Pastry of the Year posted:

I was wondering why you were so jumpy when we watched Beethoven's 3rd

What made that night worse is that I'd stupidly rewatched The Thing that afternoon.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

WonkyBob posted:

I'm always prepared for everything to go Cronenberg at a moments notice.

Note to self, never go to an Asian restaurant for lunch w/ Wonky Bob lest he try to make a gun out of his meal

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

1redflag posted:

Note to self, never go to an Asian restaurant for lunch w/ Wonky Bob lest he try to make a gun out of his meal

I also have a Betamax player in my torso which has come in really handy a few times.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

did Douglas the lurpack butter man ever get to gently caress the announcer woman like he kept trying

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/wendys/status/1406033771154096132?s=21

https://twitter.com/wendys/status/1406015436915945475?s=21

https://twitter.com/wendys/status/1406061661425999878?s=21

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's now Ten circles of hell, Right below Cocytus resides the Wendy's Marketing team.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Holy god I gritted my teeth so hard they actually became grit

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/danboeckner/status/1406392365808603140?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FMguru posted:

dell launched an android tablet line called the dell streak (which yospos immediately dubbed the dell steak)

like a lot of early iphone/ipad competitors the marketing was built around being tough rugged manly machines for REAL MEN to do REAL WORK on, unlike those sissy oh-so-elegant la-di-dah limp-wristed apple products

so the dell streak team did an internal marketing stunt (to get people at dell excited about this whole new products) by hiring a bunch of dudes dressed as bikers to wander around the main dell campus yelling at people and demanding to know if they were pumped about this kickass new tablet

but they forgot to notify or clear it with site security so when a bike gang rolled onto dells campus and a bunch of tattooed bikers jumped off their bikes and started screaming at people and stomping into buildings welp here comes the swat team

the product ended up being about as well thought out as the marketing plan

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That McDonald's/Wal Mart tweet is confusing to me since Wal Mart has been actively shutting down a ton of their in-store McDonald's locations since the pandemic.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Such a swing and a miss, because honestly, the successful smaller competitors in smartphones and tablets actually are marketed on toughness and reliability. Phones and tablets are real good for mobile data collection, but most of the market leaders are A: real expensive, and B: not exactly built for durability. So there's a big market niche for phones and tablets that can take a beating, especially if they can also tout a decent battery life.

Dell would've been in prime position to basically corner that market. But... instead, they did that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Detective No. 27 posted:

That McDonald's/Wal Mart tweet is confusing to me since Wal Mart has been actively shutting down a ton of their in-store McDonald's locations since the pandemic.

They still had those? I haven't seen anything that isn't a Subway in years

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cleretic posted:

Such a swing and a miss, because honestly, the successful smaller competitors in smartphones and tablets actually are marketed on toughness and reliability. Phones and tablets are real good for mobile data collection, but most of the market leaders are A: real expensive, and B: not exactly built for durability. So there's a big market niche for phones and tablets that can take a beating, especially if they can also tout a decent battery life.

Dell would've been in prime position to basically corner that market. But... instead, they did that.
It's a market that is not in a hurry for change so it's not exactly one you want to beat to market. There's been rugged handheld mobile computers since the 90s. The goal by Android times was to align these to modern IT support. The existing market leaders did that mostly concurrently to the Streak.

But also the Streak wasn't a rugged tablet, it was a normal tablet/early phablet for rugged manly folk.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WonkyBob posted:

What made that night worse is that I'd stupidly rewatched The Thing that afternoon.

Rewatching The Thing is never stupid. :colbert:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

WonkyBob posted:

Just remembered the night I was home alone and I decided to watch The Shining.
I got halfway through the credits before I chickened out.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

Rewatching The Thing is never stupid. :colbert:

Agreed. Watching Beethoven and expecting the dog to Thing out is another matter.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pookah posted:

Just remembered the night I was home alone and I decided to watch The Shining.
I got halfway through the credits before I chickened out.

You should pick up the UHD, it looks jaw dropping on a 4k TV

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Sunswipe posted:

British adverts often used to use a bizarre sense of menace to sell things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0wDjWOnHcY

Now that's not always true, sometimes they used horror and bewilderment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XyXjVTNrTA

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Whybird posted:

That's not horror and bewilderment, that's madness.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And a nice little touch of racism!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Whybird posted:

tight aspirations posted:

That's not horror and bewilderment, that's madness.

Now this is advertising I can get behind.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Those two key demographics: ska fans and middle-aged men who may be cannibals and/or wife-beaters. I wish this advertising campaign had continued so we could have got an advert where a knockoff Suggs clubs his wife with a leg of pork, then the rest of the family Madness walk into the back of him, knocking her down the stairs.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Is it ever NOT cringeworthy when brands interact with each other on Twitter?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I want to see some Interbrand violence. Like, I want to see the Buger King account tweet at McDonald's that it has 48 hours to get the gently caress out of Miami or else poo poo is going down and then I want Wendy's to tweet pictures at Jack-in-the-Box clearly threatening the life of the mascot Jack. If we have to see this on social media I want it to be completely unhinged

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

christmas boots posted:

I want to see some Interbrand violence. Like, I want to see the Buger King account tweet at McDonald's that it has 48 hours to get the gently caress out of Miami or else poo poo is going down and then I want Wendy's to tweet pictures at Jack-in-the-Box clearly threatening the life of the mascot Jack. If we have to see this on social media I want it to be completely unhinged

We already know that Taco Bell wins the Restaurant Wars some time in the future.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Count Uvula posted:

We already know that Taco Bell wins the Restaurant Wars some time in the future.

Only in America.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

christmas boots posted:

The Noid is ripe for this sort of plotline.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Push El Burrito posted:

Only in America.

Yeah, but Pizza Hut wins it elsewhere. Obviously, the YUM Brands conglomerate were the victors, and they will subject the citizens of Earth to their cruel whims. Countries that submit to their will get to experience the delights of Taco Bell. Those who resist are forced to consume Long John Silvers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

christmas boots posted:

Wendy's dropped that dis mix tape because of course they did

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

christmas boots posted:

Jack in the box blew up Jack once already, he got better. Wendy's talks a good game but you can't out-talk eldritch power

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sighence posted:

Jack in the box blew up Jack once already, he got better. Wendy's talks a good game but you can't out-talk eldritch power

You can out-cook it though, apparently

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

YeahTubaMike posted:

Is it ever NOT cringeworthy when brands interact with each other on Twitter?

Eh, if you think of as two bored social media interns (possibly even the same social media intern) loving around it loses a lot of cringe. It's depressing and deeply stupid, but it's not worth the effort to cringe at it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ah yes those interns left in charge of the social media accounts of multinational conglomerates, right

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Len posted:

Wendy's dropped that dis mix tape because of course they did

Actually that was Hamburger Helper (and slaps)

https://m.soundcloud.com/hamburgerhelper/sets/watch-the-stove

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Actually it was Wendy's but sure yours exists too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Beefin%3F?wprov=sfla1

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rockman Reserve posted:

ah yes those interns left in charge of the social media accounts of multinational conglomerates, right

OK maybe not interns but those corporate twitter accounts are farmed out to separate social media companies to run and said companies usually run lots of different ones at once. This is a thing, there've been articles about them.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

it’s totally all the same guy sitting in the dark surrounded by phones, frantically tweeting at himself

it is their way

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

christmas boots posted:

If a brand account doesn't get suspended for tweeting the gamer word and then deleting the tweet but not before someone took a screenshot, then it's obviously all bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the only genuine brand account moment ever recorded

https://twitter.com/Chargers/status/5596520