Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Having never been to Japan, is learning Japanese essential to doing anything as a tourist? That map looks completely impenetrable to anyone who's not fluent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Some guy tried to rob a former pro wrestler with a BB gun. It went poorly.

http://deadspin.com/former-pro-wrestler-wrecks-man-who-allegedly-tried-to-t-1790107415

I like the quote from this article:

"Gaspard tells us he immediately thought to himself, “gently caress this, I’m not dying in Florida,” and got in the guys face to intimidate him enough to back down."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

"Gaspard tells us he immediately thought to himself, “gently caress this, I’m not dying in Florida,” and got in the guys face to intimidate him enough to back down."

You can see that moment in the video and its fantastic. At first you can tell he's just listening to what the guy is saying, and then he flips the switch and he steps up to the guy, completely blotting out his entire body from view of the camera with his gigantic Incredible Hulk frame.

Then it seems like he basically just reaches in the guys waistband and is like "gimme that poo poo" and the guy is totally defeated at that point, you can see his shoulders slumped and he's realizing what a terrible mistake he made. Then Gaspard ushers him out the door by face first. I was never a fan of his when he was a wrestler but I am now.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Having never been to Japan, is learning Japanese essential to doing anything as a tourist? That map looks completely impenetrable to anyone who's not fluent.

Tokyo is pretty easy with just English, especially if you're patient and try to work with people. Menus for most places have pictures you can point to, the subways all have Romanji for the stop names, you get most subway tickets from machines and most of them have various language options.

Other parts of Japan vary. Kyoto's not too bad, but I didn't run into anyone in Nagoya that spoke English at all, and they don't see many tourists so they have less practice getting over the language barrier.

[Edit, there's a big helpful Japan thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758863 ]

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

chitoryu12 posted:

I spent two days in Tokyo drunk off my rear end nearly 100% of the time, and with literally zero japanese skills I was able to navigate the tokyo subway system only having to ask for help once. Well, I say ask, but me and a friend were trying to figure out which moon runes to press on the ticket vending machine when a little door in between them opened up and out popped a helpful little dude in a uniform who managed to get us where we needed to go.

I have used mass transit in NYC, DC, San Diego (lol), Singapore and Tokyo. English is my only language, and Tokyo was by far the easist, best and most pleasant experience.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

It's no different from being a tourist in any other country where you don't speak the language. I actually had more trouble with language in Italy than I did in Japan.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TriggerHappy posted:

Tokyo is pretty easy with just English, especially if you're patient and try to work with people. Menus for most places have pictures you can point to, the subways all have Romanji for the stop names, you get most subway tickets from machines and most of them have various language options.

Other parts of Japan vary. Kyoto's not too bad, but I didn't run into anyone in Nagoya that spoke English at all, and they don't see many tourists so they have less practice getting over the language barrier.

[Edit, there's a big helpful Japan thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758863 ]

I was hoping that would be the case. You'd figure that such a common tourist destination would include English options.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I have used mass transit in NYC, DC, San Diego (lol), Singapore and Tokyo. English is my only language, and Tokyo was by far the easist, best and most pleasant experience.

I've used NYC, DC, Atlanta, and Boston. NYC is probably the best out of the group in terms of prevalence (it has the most number of stations of any system in the world), so you rarely have to walk more than 10 or 20 minutes to the nearest station in Manhattan. In DC I ended up using the bike sharing stations to get around for the most part and only used the metro a few times.

Boston is neat because the trains are cable cars on the street and just drive into tunnels when it's time to be a train.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
The only downside of Japanese trains is that they loving close at night. I didn't know this and got stranded in Shinjuku until 5am! NYC is superior because the trains run literally all night, although there's less of them. (I'm a biased NYer though)

Edit: Pizzafreude

vv Chicago is the nightmare hellhole city that most people assume New York is, but it isn't. The filthy, grimy, crime-ridden, scary-people-having stereotype of NYC? That's actually Chicago. I've been on Chicago trains maybe 6 times, and every single time except ONCE there was some scary weirdo or aggressive fucker yelling at someone. Meanwhile, out of 100+ NYC transit rides, maybe 8 weirdos. I don't loving get it??? vv

VoidBurger has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Dec 15, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chicago is nice in that they tell you which side of the car the doors will be opening up next.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

VoidBurger posted:

Edit: Pizzafreude

this brings me no joy whatsoever. the more i watch, the more i become depressed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Coney Island Express. Coney Island All Stations. Coney Island via Washington Square.

Name the train by where it goes and where it ends up.

Is it really that hard?

You try putting all that poo poo on a sign like this.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

grumplestiltzkin posted:

a little door in between them opened up and out popped a helpful little dude in a uniform who managed to get us where we needed to go.

What

I thought that was a prank based on the gif I saw

They really have dudes inside the machines ?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

chitoryu12 posted:

Having never been to Japan, is learning Japanese essential to doing anything as a tourist?

Of course it is. The only people that visit Japan are people who speak the language.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Remember that veterinarian who caught alot of heat for posting a picture of the lion he killed?

He'll have to post his next selfie from the Happy Hunting Ground.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dick Trauma posted:

Remember that veterinarian who caught alot of heat for posting a picture of the lion he killed?

Cecil’s killer still lives.

gently caress 2016.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

Harambe's ghost.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there another source? I can't find any source but The Sun and Daily Mail.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

:aaaaa: I have done this exact thing, as I was reflexively reaching for the falling pie my internal monologue was just "NO NO NO NO NO."

Got to go home early, though! Not quite worth it, burns are exquisitely uncomfortable.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

betterinsodapop posted:

The G train is the best train on the entire system, as far is the station locations, where it goes, etc. The G train is the 2nd WORST train on the service (second to the L) as far as train frequency, punctuality, crowdedness, etc...
I remember back in 2009, you could take the G from Greenpoint all the way to Astoria. Those were the days...

The real scoodyfroody: the L train has a HUGE ridership and is headed for an imminent shutdown for undetermined amount of time. Oh boy...

Best part: It's the train all the Brooklyn hipsters ride.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

chitoryu12 posted:

Is there another source? I can't find any source but The Sun and Daily Mail.

Snopes confirmed it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

VoidBurger posted:

vv Chicago is the nightmare hellhole city that most people assume New York is, but it isn't. The filthy, grimy, crime-ridden, scary-people-having stereotype of NYC? That's actually Chicago. I've been on Chicago trains maybe 6 times, and every single time except ONCE there was some scary weirdo or aggressive fucker yelling at someone. Meanwhile, out of 100+ NYC transit rides, maybe 8 weirdos. I don't loving get it??? vv

CTA weirdos are a long and storied Chicago tradition and it gets worse once the weather gets cold since the homeless will just ride the trains all day and night to stay warm. I saw a passed out homeless person piss himself on the blue line just yesterday in fact. And the day before I inhaled hobo dust when another one slapped all the dirt off his coat on the 56 bus.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Thrifting Day! posted:

I pity the cities with complex underground rail systems with all their different lines and colours. Different names, different levels and getting lost.

In Glasgow, you can literally never get on the wrong underground train.

Think that's impressive? Stand back and watch how the MOTOR CITY handles transit!

Oh...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Solice Kirsk posted:

CTA weirdos are a long and storied Chicago tradition and it gets worse once the weather gets cold since the homeless will just ride the trains all day and night to stay warm. I saw a passed out homeless person piss himself on the blue line just yesterday in fact. And the day before I inhaled hobo dust when another one slapped all the dirt off his coat on the 56 bus.

I visited Chicago last year and we were going somewhere in the morning and passed this woman asleep across three bench seats at a bus stop. Then that afternoon we came back and she was asleep across the seats. Was she homeless? Super tired and we just happened to catch her in the same situations? I don't know but I can say this: she was really loving fat.

Also we were waiting for a bus and a guy was trying to board and his metro card didn't go through. So the driver told him to find another payment method. So the guy pulled a second metro card that didn't go through. Then he took turns swiping the non working cards expecting one of them to work somehow. After about 30 seconds someone told him to get the gently caress off the bus before he got his rear end kicked.

Welp those are my stories thanks for reading.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A friend of mine was visiting me this year so he tried to get a CTA pass at the Blue Line station near the Megabus stop. Some guy kept asking him if he would buy him a ticket and he said "no." When the machine popped his ticket out the guy tried to just take it from him. Then the guy bitched at me for not double tapping my Ventra to get him on the train, which does not actually work. This was all right in front of a CTA worker who could not give a poo poo.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Zero One posted:

Think that's impressive? Stand back and watch how the MOTOR CITY handles transit!

Oh...

Hahaha

I picture the "people mover" as one of those conveyor belts they have in airports. Just people in the open air, moving along the sidewwalk, like cats on Roombas. Actually, I can't decide if that's sad or awesome. Hmmmmmmm

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

The look on this cat's face is cracking me up.

"Et tu, Human?"

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

oldpainless posted:

I visited Chicago last year and we were going somewhere in the morning and passed this woman asleep across three bench seats at a bus stop. Then that afternoon we came back and she was asleep across the seats. Was she homeless? Super tired and we just happened to catch her in the same situations? I don't know but I can say this: she was really loving fat.
she was mcfucking dead

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Zero One posted:

The look on this cat's face is cracking me up.

"Et tu, Human?"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Railing Kill posted:

Hahaha

I picture the "people mover" as one of those conveyor belts they have in airports. Just people in the open air, moving along the sidewwalk, like cats on Roombas. Actually, I can't decide if that's sad or awesome. Hmmmmmmm

It might as well be.

It's the kind of thing that a city might have built as an exhibition system as part of some mid-century world's fair. But no, Detroit thought it was just the thing in the mid-80s to solve the city's problems.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
I know the owners of these stores, I know the lady behind the counter. I am not even surprised she stepped off on the robber like this. Glad the schadenfreude isn't on her.
http://abc7.com/news/armed-robber-chased-off-with-sex-toys-at-san-bernardino-shop/1658847/

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Zero One posted:

It might as well be.

It's the kind of thing that a city might have built as an exhibition system as part of some mid-century world's fair. But no, Detroit thought it was just the thing in the mid-80s to solve the city's problems.

Blame Canada :v: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Innovia_Metro

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bogatyr posted:

I know the owners of these stores, I know the lady behind the counter. I am not even surprised she stepped off on the robber like this. Glad the schadenfreude isn't on her.
http://abc7.com/news/armed-robber-chased-off-with-sex-toys-at-san-bernardino-shop/1658847/

quote:

San Bernardino police also said they generally recommend people don't confront armed robbers.
Well, duh. Because people usually don't have an arsenal of a robber's kryptonite on hand: sex toys

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zero One posted:

It might as well be.

Miami has one of those as well.

It's just as comically useless as you'd expect.

I suspect that someone was offering giant government grants in the 1980's to build these things...

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

chitoryu12 posted:

On the other hand, NYC confuses people with its subway because everyone is used to other metros having a "red line" or "blue line" and you just take the correct line. New York is its own mess because it used to be three separate companies (two independent and one run by the city) until 1940 when the two independent companies got bought out and integrated under the city government. Some tracks can't be connected whatsoever because the rival companies didn't even use the same track gauge, so some tunnels are too small for trains built to run on other lines and some stations are too short to fit an entire train from a different line. The city went through constant, seemingly endless changes to its service colors and names over the decades before finally settling (for the most part) in the past decade.

NYC metro is the best. I was on one of the lines that went overground, and the doors didn't close. The conductor gave no fucks and just said "If your door isn't closed please stay away from the door" while we're 30' above the freeways and moving a billion miles an hour.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Random Stranger posted:

I suspect that someone was offering giant government grants in the 1980's to build these things...

If Miami has one, why did you post a computer rendering?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Random Stranger posted:

They were, yes, and then Reagan came to power and yanked it away. That's why Detroit just has that useless little ring, it was supposed to be the hub of a much larger system, but then the funding got cut and that was all they could afford. lol

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Schadenfreude is on the normal people who don't give a gently caress about mass transit yet still try to read this thread.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Grem posted:

Schadenfreude is on the normal people who don't give a gently caress about mass transit yet still try to read this thread.

Really? No transit "derail" joke? Come on man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bird in a Blender posted:

You try putting all that poo poo on a sign like this.

Bigger signs :shrug:

It's. Really. Not. That. Hard.