Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Joementum posted:

If Trump loses by the margin of current polling, the lesson the GOP is going to draw is that they would have won with an experienced politician devoted to Reaganism like Paul Ryan or Marco Rubio and that'll be their hope for 2020.

And then they'll lose in 2020. So fingers crossed.

One of the most interesting things about the Republicans is that they need to moderate to win, but their constituents are getting older and whiter and crazier by the cycle. They are in a death spiral.

I am very interested to see how the GOP eventually does pivot back. Assuming the world doesn't end and human society continues to stand, they will have to move to the center at some point in the next 20-30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

On the other hand, by emphasizing short-term electoral gains at the expense of long-term party building, they've backed themselves into an ideological and demographic corner with no obvious exit short of destroying the party.

Unless Trump wins, in which case the Republicans will have won control of all three branches of government.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Joementum posted:

If Trump loses by the margin of current polling, the lesson the GOP is going to draw is that they would have won with an experienced politician devoted to Reaganism like Paul Ryan or Marco Rubio and that'll be their hope for 2020.

and how much will their takeaway actually change anything? we all remember their hilarious post mortem from 2012, and things have gone a bit awry from that

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MadJackal posted:

We're going to get rid of ISIS "big league

Can we get a motherfucking word filter to change this big league bullshit to the right and true "BIGLY"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Leviathan posted:

Trump: "I think I am, actually, humble."

This could have been taken in rush limbaughs or viktor yanukovychs mansions

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

shiksa posted:

When asked about the ramifications of legitimizing ISIS by declaring war, Mr. Trump responded "Well they are legitimate, a legitimate threat." Gov. Pence sighed and started to rub his forehead, Mr. Trump turned to Pence and asked "Is that not right? I mean they are legitimate, totally legitimate. It's a failure by the Obama administration to not declare their legitimacy, in my opinion."

haha what a funny made up joke

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

After seeing a hundred or so people sing this article's praises I finally clicked through and read it.

And now I'm adding my voice to those hundred or so. If you're the type that even casually lurks this thread, go read this all the way through.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Al! posted:

haha what a funny made up joke

oh wait i thought "funny made up joke" was wordfiltered to "terrifying vision of the future"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'm terrified of a situation where a Republican party controling most state governments and all three branches of the federal government recognizes demographic trends as their biggest threat to continued power.

Restricting voting rights is current GOP policy, and if they are in a "death spiral" things can get worse. Their right flank is literal white supremacists who think they're battling against white genocide. Acting like the GOP is going to collapse in on itself harmlessly seems foolish.

Does, does this count as a meltdown?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Joementum posted:

Michelle Van Etten, Small Business Owner
Michelle Van Etten is a small business owner who was recently featured in The Greatest Networkers in the World second edition. Michelle employs over 100,000 people and is a strong supporter of Donald Trump, knowing his policies will support businesses all across America.

Could someone explain this person? I can actually find less info than on Wist, and the description raises a number of questions.

Tubesock
Apr 20, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

After seeing a hundred or so people sing this article's praises I finally clicked through and read it.

And now I'm adding my voice to those hundred or so. If you're the type that even casually lurks this thread, go read this all the way through.

tl;dr

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I think the GOP has lost some of the slick messaging that they had during, say, the Bush years, but at the same time, it would be a huge mistake to think they'll just wither away because Demographics. Rove was delusional when he talked about a permanent Republican majority, and any Democrat who thinks they have the presidency forever is equally so.

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out

buzzfeed posted:

We spoke often over the next few months. Nunberg was living with his parents and getting sober; most days, he seemed focused primarily on his hell-bent crusade to take revenge on Lewandowski for getting him fired. I would often see him texting tips to reporters and taking calls — always in a clipped mafioso voice — to strategize with his fellow soldiers in Trumplandia civil war.

What's Nunberg posting under these days

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Discendo Vox posted:

Could someone explain this person? I can actually find less info than on Wist, and the description raises a number of questions.

quote:

Michelle Van Etten is a small business owner

quote:

Michelle employs over 100,000 people

wut

Has to be a bullshit Herbalife MLM thing where she has 100k downstreams and she's calling them employees

edit: This might be her? https://twitter.com/trendyscrapper If so I was right about it being an MLM thing, I hope she does a hard sales pitch on stage

anotherone fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 18, 2016

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

shiksa posted:

When asked about the ramifications of legitimizing ISIS by declaring war, Mr. Trump responded "Well they are legitimate, a legitimate threat." Gov. Pence sighed and started to rub his forehead, Mr. Trump turned to Pence and asked "Is that not right? I mean they are legitimate, totally legitimate. It's a failure by the Obama administration to not declare their legitimacy, in my opinion."

Jesus Christ

Okay, if the unthinkable should happen here's the plan Obama...
Pardon Hinkley.
Give him a job with the secret service.
Assign him a solo detail on Trump.
Casually mention in passing that Jodie Foster has been asking about him.

Alternately, give Chief Justice Roberts and exploding Bible covered in superglue.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

eatenmyeyes posted:

Jesus Christ

Okay, if the unthinkable should happen here's the plan Obama...
Pardon Hinkley.
Give him a job with the secret service.
Assign him a solo detail on Trump.
Casually mention in passing that Jodie Foster has been asking about him.

Alternately, give Chief Justice Roberts and exploding Bible covered in superglue.

Trump nixes the whole plot after hearing Hinckley's song in assassins, "unworthy of your love" believing himself to be worthy of anyones love

As an aside I played hinckley in my colleges production of assassins cause I look a lot like him and I can sing. I'm sorry I couldn't rewrite history yall.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I am supremely confident that Obama will, if necessary, use HAARP and chemtrails to manipulate the margin of error in swing states. Alternately, if Trump wins, invoke the MJ-12 agreement and declare the US is joining the Reticulan Federation, volunteering Donald and Mike for "first probin's."

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
trump is at best a narcissistic authoritarian who uses an increasingly loyal cult of personality to achieve whatever means to his ends or a fascist dressing up the ideology in 21st century terms that appeals to a large portion the disenfranchised and unorganized masses.

take your pick which one is worse.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Discendo Vox posted:

Gonna be great when the Trump campaign's done zero vetting on some of these speakers and one of them breaks into a Birther tirade right on prime-time TV.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

trump is at best a narcissistic authoritarian who uses an increasingly loyal cult of personality to achieve whatever means to his ends or a fascist dressing up the ideology in 21st century terms that appeals to a large portion the disenfranchised and unorganized masses.

take your pick which one is worse.

i think hes just a big crybaby who is invoking the ugliest parts of US politics and racial resentment myself

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Joementum posted:

They do that and Cruz will win the nomination in 2020 and depending on the state of the country win the Presidency.

The GOP is fundamentally broken at the base and its their own drat fault for feeding those people a steady diet of hate for the last 30+years.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

It's a bio piece with good background and snippets, that in short describes how spurned Trump has been by elites, and how that fuels him. It focuses largely on Sam Nunberg who engineered the start of the campaign, and who you may remember as the person Trump filed a lawsuit against a week ago.

Some choice quotes:

quote:

Republican presidential prospects begin voyaging to Trump Tower to kiss his ring. Trump liked this, but it was the visit from Mitt Romney — grandee of the establishment, golden boy of the donor class — that left him feeling truly special. “We hit it off really well, better than I expected,” Trump said on CNN.

He did not know, when their meeting in Trump Tower ended, that Romney was planning to sneak out a side door so as to avoid the press; that Mitt’s campaign manager had made clear at the outset of this shameful trip that he wanted “no loving pictures”; that the candidate’s aides would spend the rest of the day cracking jokes about the Donald’s taste in decor and patently inflated net worth.

quote:

Trump’s advisers took turns making appeals to his ego, to his patriotism, to his lust for TV cameras — anything they could think of. What finally seemed to do the trick, according to Nunberg, was floating the notion that his haters might get the final word on him in the history books. “I don’t know what’s going to happen in this election,” he recalled telling Trump. “But no matter what, they’re gonna write about it a hundred years from now. And they’re never gonna be able to say you didn’t run.”

Trump adopted this as a kind of mantra in those final, anxious days before entering the race. “They’re never gonna say I didn’t run,” he recited to one aide after another. “They’re never gonna say I didn’t run.”

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Look's like the guy who ghost-wrote 'art of the deal' is now telling everyone what a piece of poo poo Trump is

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Montasque posted:

They do that and Cruz will win the nomination in 2020 and depending on the state of the country win the Presidency.

The GOP is fundamentally broken at the base and its their own drat fault for feeding those people a steady diet of hate for the last 30+years.

Based on the house and state politics its pretty depressing how far hate gets you imho!!!!

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

as if we didn't already know trump was human garbage

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Here's a companion video to Coppins' article:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X6gt327huo

Everyone is so drat smug in this video, and now look where we are. Trump watched this and swore to Baal that he would get vengeance.

You did this to us Mckay Coppins, this is all your fault!

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Montasque posted:

Here's a companion video to Coppins' article:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X6gt327huo

Everyone is so drat smug in this video, and now look where we are. Trump watched this and swore to Baal that he would get vengeance.

You did this to us Mckay Coppins, this is all your fault!

you forgot the rest of the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvyRIgPImOY

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Great article FYI. That email at the end is unreal

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

You know who else they all laughed at...

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
hitler was the fool of vienna

not necessarily comparing trump to hitler but underestimating people is a good way to get fuckin owned

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Rocks posted:

Great article FYI. That email at the end is unreal

that article coupled with the 60 minutes interview was the first time this whole campaign that i've actually felt dread

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

hitler was the fool of vienna

not necessarily comparing trump to hitler but underestimating people is a good way to get fuckin owned

speaking of which, clintonland was supposedly taking trump seriously way earlier than most everyone else and during late stages of the primary they said only 20% of the oppo they had was out in the public, was that bullshit because if not where is the other 80%? and don't say "she hasn't needed it" because this thing is way loving closer than i'm sure they want it to be

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

speaking of which, clintonland was supposedly taking trump seriously way earlier than most everyone else and during late stages of the primary they said only 20% of the oppo they had was out in the public, was that bullshit because if not where is the other 80%? and don't say "she hasn't needed it" because this thing is way loving closer than i'm sure they want it to be

the election is still 4 months away

be real dumb to put it all out there now, gotta get that ol' october surprise in

she isn't even officially the nominee yet

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

GrimGypsy posted:

Look's like the guy who ghost-wrote 'art of the deal' is now telling everyone what a piece of poo poo Trump is

art of the deal ,baby

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Optimistically, they're thinking that if they destroy him now, the GOP can nominate someone else, or mount a reasonable defense, or people will just forget by election day- but if they wait until after the RNC, or even September/October, then they'll see a much larger impact in November.

It's also possible that they're full of poo poo.

anotherone fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 18, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Some of the oppo research will go unused, because that's life. Most of the rest is waiting until after the convention. I wonder if the Never Trump thing convinced the Clinton campaign to pull back juuuuust enough that they didn't accidentally push the GOP to actually unseat Donald as their nominee. Regardless, once the Republican Party is fully, finally committed to Trump, and Clinton gets her week of positive focus from the Democratic convention—it'll be guns free on the oppo strikes.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I hope the Clinton campaign has the whimsy to try weird psychological experiments with their bottomless war chest. Pick a lean-R state, buy every single ad slot available, on all channels, in that market for the month before the election. Just put up some stationary text on the screen, like "DONALD TRUMP IS A RAPIST". In every ad slot, for a month. See what that does to the poll numbers.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

all these writers and journalists whining about how they created trump and are soo sorry, doesn't that have it's own sort of narcissism about it? takes one to know one I guess

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Everyone should read the article. My favorite part.

quote:

“I put lipstick on a pig,” he said. “I feel a deep sense of remorse that I contributed to presenting Trump in a way that brought him wider attention and made him more appealing than he is.” He went on, “I genuinely believe that if Trump wins and gets the nuclear codes there is an excellent possibility it will lead to the end of civilization.”

If he were writing “The Art of the Deal” today, Schwartz said, it would be a very different book with a very different title. Asked what he would call it, he answered, “The Sociopath.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

• Locked thread